Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

This seems a little condescending but... Play it like you did the classical guitar. Thumb on the back, not tensing your hand, fingers over the fretboard in a comfortable position. The only way you'll change that and not hurt yourself (and trust me you will) is to change your position now and stick to it. It'll be weird for a while but eventually it will feel normal and you won't have to worry about wrecking your wrist and hand.

Ah I should have been much clearer, I didn't learn the classical guitar but other classical instruments. My bad and I see why you got that end of the stick.

That being said, that is some great advice which I will start doing straight away. Thank you, and sorry again for the confusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Another piece of advice is that when you go to use the lower frets, make sure you extend from the shoulder and don't keep your elbow close to your body. For a lot of people it seems harder to do that at first but it keeps your wrist straighter and makes the whole thing more comfortable overall.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Another good piece of advice would be to sign up to take a couple lessons just so you can be taught proper technique from someone who knows it. Playing guitar shouldn't hurt (much)!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Both guitar teachers I've had I've ended up not continuing with them after a few lessons but BOTH taught me stuff I still use to this day.

Roland JC chat: It looks like a JC120 is going to be a big rarity for my price range and area, so I'm looking at a either one of the options above or a newer JC40. I've never really put much thought into solid state amps at all, would it be practical to self-build? Without the analogue components of a tube amp it seems like it would be an easy/fun project?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You can usually find a JC120 if you find a studio that's closing down, or a gujy who's moving and can't be hosed to bring his to his new digs. Thats how I got mine for $280.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Both guitar teachers I've had I've ended up not continuing with them after a few lessons but BOTH taught me stuff I still use to this day.

Roland JC chat: It looks like a JC120 is going to be a big rarity for my price range and area, so I'm looking at a either one of the options above or a newer JC40. I've never really put much thought into solid state amps at all, would it be practical to self-build? Without the analogue components of a tube amp it seems like it would be an easy/fun project?

Just get a cube 40 or whatever, you'll be fine. The microcube is alright but the tiny speaker is a little blah.

There's also the Fender Mustang V.whatever revision they're on now, the Yamaha THR series, Peavey Vypyr/whatever Line 6 markets to 14 year olds, etc.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I got a used trademark 30 and I'm liking it a lot so far. It's SS and pretty versatile (and has spring reverb and an effects loop).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
For playing clean, my Fender Mustang one never leaves the twin reverb position. And it's lovely.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I just noticed a small crack maybe 1/2" long on the neck of my guitar, starting at the corner of the nut on the bass side and going down towards the body. I can also feel a slight ridge on the treble side where it seems the fretboard isn't perfectly lined up on the neck, but it's so minor I wouldn't have noticed it if I weren't closely examining the neck after finding the crack. No pictures since I don't have a good enough camera to really capture it. I'm going to take it into a shop later this week to get looked at, but I'm guessing it's an easy fix/minor issue, right?

Somewhat related, I'm in the Bay Area and it just started raining fairly consistently, by California standards at least. I should probably be controlling the humidity in my place a bit more to help prevent stuff like this I'm guessing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A crack can usually be fixed, not sure about the bump but if it's playable then it's playable. What model is it?

I'm loving my new G400 Pro except for one minor issue. When plugging into a single amp, the neck pickup creates this incredibly high pitched whine. My first thought was microphonic pups but tapping the pickup didn't change a thing. then I noticed the whine instantly stops if the neck volume is on any position except 10 or 0. Yes the whine is there at 0 but not 1 through 9. Could this be anything to do with it being a push/pull pot for coil splitting? Maybe a cold solder joint or shielding issue? Both pickups have a small amount of hiss when split as expected but only the neck or middle position has high frequency whine. Stereo amps with a switchblade+ AB/Y sound fine thanks to high frequency tone suck when splitting the signal.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you everyone for the excellent tips/advice, it's much appreciated.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Southern Heel posted:

Solid state amps are analog. They're easier and cheaper to build at large scale than tube amps, but on the home level it will likely take a similar level of skill and cost, if not more since there are fewer people making kits, schematics, etc.

If you're generally happy with your amp modeler, maybe you could look into getting a powered speaker that you can plug that into. Otherwise, on the cheap and modeling end the Fender Mustangs are great. On the expensive and straightforward end you could look into a Polytone or other jazz amp.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, solid state is still analog. It just means it uses transistors instead of tubes, and is thus smaller and less fragile because transistors are small and not made of glass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lots of people think digital = electricity, so its always fun when I get to explain the difference.

Analog, solid-state and digital are 3 different things. And between them solid-state is more like analog than digital modeling.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Analog, solid-state and digital are 3 different things. And between them solid-state is more like analog than digital modeling.

That's not quite correct. Analogue and digital are two sides of the same coin. Analogue uses continuous electrical values to represent sound, digital uses discrete electrical values to do the same. Although to further confuse matters, digital equipment still needs some analogue components to convert the digital values into the analogue values that we can perceive.

Solid state vs valves is a separate thing. Although it is usually used to reference analogue transistor based amps, anything that uses semiconductors is considered solid state, including digital circuits. Anything that uses valves is not. It should also be noted that it is also possible, though impractical and pointless, to create digital sound processing gear using valves. Again a single piece of equipment can make use of both technologies.

To sum up;

Solid state/valves - the physical technology used
Digital/analogue - the way it is used

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ thank you all for the corrections :)

On the strength of this convo I went and played a 40GX in Denmark Street today and it was 'OK'. Since they didn't have the JC40 I played straight into a JC120. I was in an acoustically treated basement with one employee about 30' away and a door between me and the rest of the shop and I STILL couldn't crank it beyond a sixth of a turn before it got uncomfortably loud. Lord the tone was completely out of this world though, absolutely phenomenal. If the JC40 is HALFWAY to it, then I'll be a happy bunny and seriously consider ordering one.

Generally though, I'd be interested in the community's input on how much of a corner am I backing myself into with a purchase of mid-tier amp which is SO niche - it's going to rock out for prog, pop, jazz, and so on but my other love is sludgey stoner metal like Baroness, Mastodon, etc. and chucking that amount of change down is a little daunting when it could quite easily bag me an Orange head and 2x12 cab. EDIT: FWIW I would be happy to chuck a Wampler Pinnacle or EQD Hoof infront of either the 40GX or the JC40 but it seems like a huge chunk of change to put down only to use a pedal to muddy it up :)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 9, 2015

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Southern Heel posted:

^ thank you all for the corrections :)

On the strength of this convo I went and played a 40GX in Denmark Street today and it was 'OK'. Since they didn't have the JC40 I played straight into a JC120. I was in an acoustically treated basement with one employee about 30' away and a door between me and the rest of the shop and I STILL couldn't crank it beyond a sixth of a turn before it got uncomfortably loud. Lord the tone was completely out of this world though, absolutely phenomenal. If the JC40 is HALFWAY to it, then I'll be a happy bunny and seriously consider ordering one.

Generally though, I'd be interested in the community's input on how much of a corner am I backing myself into with a purchase of mid-tier amp which is SO niche - it's going to rock out for prog, pop, jazz, and so on but my other love is sludgey stoner metal like Baroness, Mastodon, etc. and chucking that amount of change down is a little daunting when it could quite easily bag me an Orange head and 2x12 cab. EDIT: FWIW I would be happy to chuck a Wampler Pinnacle or EQD Hoof infront of either the 40GX or the JC40 but it seems like a huge chunk of change to put down only to use a pedal to muddy it up :)

This probably won't tell you which amp to buy, but here's a quote from my guitar teacher regarding amp choices (especially for a player wanting clean and dirty options):

"They don't make a pedal for 'clean'".

So basically if one of those amps is your end-all of clean tones, and you know of a good dirt pedal option... I'd say you're done. If both the JC and the Orange setup can get you your end-all of clean tones... go with the Orange if resell is a concern. I mean, if it were me I'd prolly go Orange anyway... clean/orangedirty on the amp, then add some otherdirty pedal goodness on the floor.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Mmm - that is a good point and I really can't take advantage of any kind of valve-distortion in my practising environment. What a weird feeling, to think that solid state may be preferable to valves?! :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Honestly I'd say the same. I kinda want to look into an attenuator for my tube combo but yeah :rip:

It has really good cleans, a nice tremolo effect, and a massively deep spring reverb tank though so even though I can't crank it I don't care.

e: Also because dirt pedals are fun to play around with.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Mmm - that is a good point and I really can't take advantage of any kind of valve-distortion in my practising environment. What a weird feeling, to think that solid state may be preferable to valves?! :)

Solid state has come a long way since the 80's when it was actually pretty bad, and yeah a good clean that you love is more important that how well the amp overdrives IMO.

I'm kinda spoiled since I have a DSL1 which has a great clean and good drive channel at 1 watt, but if I didn't have that I would probably gotten a Quilter and a good drive pedal from like EQD or something.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This might be a non-sequitur, but do guitar strings vibrate at the same frequency as the pitch they produce? e.g. the open A string oscillates at exactly 110Hz when in tune.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sout posted:

This might be a non-sequitur, but do guitar strings vibrate at the same frequency as the pitch they produce? e.g. the open A string oscillates at exactly 110Hz when in tune.

Not exactly, the sound is a combination of lots of different waves - the fundamental which is your 110Hz, and then the harmonic overtones. It's that combination (and how they vary over time) that makes different instruments sound different when they play the same note, and why a guitar sounds like a guitar and why a flute sounds like a flute. A single 110Hz tone would basically be a sine wave like from a synth

So when you have all those overlapping waves, you get a more complex wave pattern from the ways they interact. That means the string is basically bouncing around in all kinds of crazy shapes, a bit like when you throw a few stones into a pond and the ripples meeting each other cause a complicated pattern on the surface

Here's some stuff:
http://www.bsharp.org/physics/guitar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Like, yeah the waveform is complicated and there's several different frequencies that are adding and subtracting from each other,

but to answer his fundamental question: is a string vibrating at the same 110Hz that you hear? The answer is yes. That's where the sound comes from, and they match.

And for harmonics you have the string vibrating at that same frequency multiple times on the string, once for each node.

So if A is 440Hz and you play a harmonic that divides the string in half (12th fret), you have the string above the node and the string below the node both vibrating at 880Hz in concert. (While playing a non-harmonic fretted at the 12th would also be 880Hz, but the string above the fret wouldn't be vibrating) I guess your pickup probably only captures the energy from the lower half that's over the pickup, but the two of them vibrating together send energy up and down the string which changes the sound, as well as through the guitar body itself.

There's a ton of feedback in guitars, to say nothing of actual amplified feedback.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Not exactly, the sound is a combination of lots of different waves - the fundamental which is your 110Hz, and then the harmonic overtones. It's that combination (and how they vary over time) that makes different instruments sound different when they play the same note, and why a guitar sounds like a guitar and why a flute sounds like a flute. A single 110Hz tone would basically be a sine wave like from a synth

So when you have all those overlapping waves, you get a more complex wave pattern from the ways they interact. That means the string is basically bouncing around in all kinds of crazy shapes, a bit like when you throw a few stones into a pond and the ripples meeting each other cause a complicated pattern on the surface

Here's some stuff:
http://www.bsharp.org/physics/guitar

Thanks, I didn't think it would be as straightforward as what I was suggesting haha.
edit: or is it?
I think I'm falling down a rabbit hole

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Check out my post. Its both complicated and simple at the same time :downs:

But essentially yes, your strings are vibrating at the frequency you tune them at.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Check out my post. Its both complicated and simple at the same time :downs:

But essentially yes, your strings are vibrating at the frequency you tune them at.

Ah that's cool, and thanks for the link baka, this stuff gets kinda interesting if it's presented in a way that isn't too baffling :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

It's liberating I think, valves can become some false holy grail.
The Beatles from 66 used solid state, as did BB King, never did them any harm :D

My amp is awesome, it is valve but has a button I can press so it never distorts in clean, it actually works as well ha ha

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sout posted:

Ah that's cool, and thanks for the link baka, this stuff gets kinda interesting if it's presented in a way that isn't too baffling :)

Yeah, it basically is vibrating at that frequency, but it's also vibrating at a bunch of others, so it really depends what you're asking. If you slowed it down it wouldn't be doing a nice smooth 100Hz wave, but a 100Hz wave is a component of the movement you'd see

That's a cool thing about sound, you get this weird complicated pattern where different frequencies add and subtract from the waveform at different times (because higher frequencies peak and trough more often), pushing and pulling until the result is unrecognisable and insanely complex... but when you hear it you can pick out all the elements that go into that total sound, right down to nuances in the timbre of instruments. That's pretty neat

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember reading something about how when we're presented with all the overtones one typically hears from a given note but NOT the base frequency, our brain still interprets the sound at that base frequency. You can use this to make people "hear" a note below their normal range of hearing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's the implication.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I heard something fascinating the other day on the radio that is related. I can't remember all the details ha ha...
Some of the most successful opera singers before PAs and poo poo had the piece of their voice box just happen to be the same length as the piece of inner ear we all have, so their voice was on the exact frequency that tuned in with the audiences ears, enabling them to hear their singing over the instruments.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that sounds like nonsense

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember reading something about how when we're presented with all the overtones one typically hears from a given note but NOT the base frequency, our brain still interprets the sound at that base frequency. You can use this to make people "hear" a note below their normal range of hearing.

Isn't that how a 4th\5th power chord works? 002xxx has a low E but the root is actually a 4th higher so the E is the perfect 5th. Your brain hears a low A5 power chord. Especially with lots of harmonic distortion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frequencies are pitches, you sing at different frequencies. I'm not sure if length of cords would exactly determine the pitches you could sing at like that.

People can totally sing a certain note to resonate and break glass though, which is cool as hell. And you could maybe do the same thing with the human ear, but it would just be a certain pitch, like a note or some pitch between notes. (or just not concert tuning)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

muike posted:

that sounds like nonsense

Just something i heard on Radio 4, the discussion was pretty la de da with qualified folk, I'll never find a link though :argh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

Frequencies are pitches, you sing at different frequencies. I'm not sure if length of cords would exactly determine the pitches you could sing at like that.

The muscles in your larynx adjust the tension and length of the vocal cords to change pitch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

comes along bort posted:

The muscles in your larynx adjust the tension and length of the vocal cords to change pitch.

No poo poo, but the question is whether the base length of the vocal cords effects being able to hit a very specific pitch to resonate with another specific length. Like having bigger/longer cords gives you deeper pitch, but as long as a specific tone is within your range I don't think it really matters.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Are there any good internet lessons on metal soloing (for ex. Iron Maiden or Guns N Roses) ? Most responses seem to fall into the 'use minor pentatonic' camp, but everything I do there sounds bluesy!

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Verizian posted:

A crack can usually be fixed, not sure about the bump but if it's playable then it's playable. What model is it?

It's a Godin xtSA that I bought as a scratch and dent item online. I only noticed a small dent in the side, so I'm not sure if the crack is a new thing or if I just missed it when I first looked it over. It's small enough that it's hard to see, and I only noticed because I happened to run my finger over it. Other than the minor issues due to it being sold as slightly damaged it's actually a really nice guitar. Everything is well constructed, it's very comfortable to play, and I like the HSH pickup configuration more than I thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm looking at the Orange Crush, and the drive channel on it sounds pretty great (about 4mins in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfuTV5EZFZg

But looking down that route I wonder if a Hybrid might be a better choice, with a tube preamp and solid poweramp. Of course this is going full circle back to the Blackstar HT1 I bought years ago but such is life.

plerocercoid posted:

I like the HSH pickup configuration more than I thought I would.

This is why you can't have nice things. HSH is the Michael Angelo Batio of the pickup layout world.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 10, 2015