Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Force Awakens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Basebf555 posted:

Noah looks fantastic and has a lot of fun ideas in it. Not as good as Black Swan or The Fountain but worthy of the Aronofsky name in my opinion.

Agreed. I went into Noah expecting very little but its weirdness was surprising and charming. Not my favourite movie Aronofsky or otherwise, but it's definitely worth a watch. And as you say, it looks great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly, when I say Noah was "unnecessary", I mean more that it wasn't honestly necessary that it be called "Noah" and be "based on the hit novel The Bible". It was weird enough to stand on its own, and may have even benefited from that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

precision posted:

Honestly, when I say Noah was "unnecessary", I mean more that it wasn't honestly necessary that it be called "Noah" and be "based on the hit novel The Bible". It was weird enough to stand on its own, and may have even benefited from that.

Scorsese should have done the same, "The Last Temptation of Chris"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was hoping for Noah to be a big hit because I couldn't wait to read all the bitter articles and reviews from religious groups. As it turned out the movie was largely ignored and the religious groups barely took notice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Scorsese should have done the same, "The Last Temptation of Chris"

You joke but I agree.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean, we all agree that there are necessary movies, right? 12 Years a Slave, Shoah, stuff like that. so surely some movies (almost certainly the bulk of them) are unnecessary too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean, we all agree that there are necessary movies, right? 12 Years a Slave, Shoah, stuff like that. so surely some movies (almost certainly the bulk of them) are unnecessary too.

Right, but classifying all movies that don't document historical atrocities as unnecessary is a nothing criticism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Right, but classifying all movies that don't document historical atrocities as unnecessary is a nothing criticism.

i never said that though, i was just using extremes to illustrate the concept. 12 Angry Men could also serve as an example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the Fright Night remake was pretty unnecessary.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I think the Fright Night remake was pretty unnecessary.

I liked it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

morestuff posted:

I liked it

See that's the thing, when I think of the term "unncessary" I don't really view it as equating to a bad movie, just one that doesn't really need to exist or add anything. Fright Night is still a totally fine movie, and the remake, while enjoyable enough, doesn't really innovate or add to what the original can offer. It's just kind of there. It was made because people sort of remember Fright Night.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No. I do not think those movies are necessary. Necessary based on what? Stuff some weirdos on the internet think is culturally relevant. gently caress that.

Film is. Movies are. Uwe Boll is incapable of making either of those things, but he still isn't unnecessary. Just unpleasant and bad.

Lurdiak posted:

See that's the thing, when I think of the term "unncessary" I don't really view it as equating to a bad movie, just one that doesn't really need to exist or add anything. Fright Night is still a totally fine movie, and the remake, while enjoyable enough, doesn't really innovate or add to what the original can offer. It's just kind of there. It was made because people sort of remember Fright Night.

I never saw the original but I enjoyed the sequel. I guess me liking a film is unnecessary to you. That's not cool.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 8, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I never saw the original but I enjoyed the sequel. I guess me liking a film is unnecessary to you.

Well yes. It's very unnecessary to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I tried to watch Monster Squad for the first time a while back. I guess because I didn't see it as a kid, it definitely felt unnecessary to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Only the films I like are necessary, but I only know if I like them once I've seen them, therefore all films are necessary.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Most and arguably all movies are unnecessary

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

No. I do not think those movies are necessary. Necessary based on what? Stuff some weirdos on the internet think is culturally relevant. gently caress that.

Huh, that's the first time I've heard the holocaust referred to in that way, but thanks for calling in

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

I was disappointed with the second season of Broadchurch. Changing the focus from a murder investigation to court drama meant the new investigation felt like an afterthought. Also I am unfamiliar with British law but the trial seemed rather preposterous to me would the admissibility of a confession really be argued in front of the jury? That's extremely prejudicial, don't they have pre-trial hearings like an American grand jury to handle that? Also do they have any rules of evidence whatsoever?

I just started this but am ambivalent as I thought the first season was ludicrously melodramatic at times. The performances are strong but the story is sort of silly and overwrought.

I felt the same way about Luther. Maybe British crime dramas just aren't my thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I just started this but am ambivalent as I thought the first season was ludicrously melodramatic at times. The performances are strong but the story is sort of silly and overwrought.

I felt the same way about Luther. Maybe British crime dramas just aren't my thing.

*grabs you by the lapels* Watch Southcliffe!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Friday the 13th Part III is necessary because that's where Jason got his hockey mask. Part II is unnecessary because nobody cares about that burlap sack.

Also Escape from the Planet of the Apes was necessary because it sets up the time loop that allows the first movie to happen, but Beneath the Planet of the Apes is unnecessary because the time machine already left by then.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What are the consequences in the doomed alternate timeline where these necessary movies weren't made?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King of Bleh posted:

What are the consequences in the doomed alternate timeline where these necessary movies weren't made?

i think that's the Days of Future Past timeline

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The "What Should and Should not Be?" Shakespeare 101 Megathread (Netflix, Prime, etc.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried to watch Monster Squad for the first time a while back. I guess because I didn't see it as a kid, it definitely felt unnecessary to me.

I loved Monster Squad as a kid, but I rewatched it recently, and man, what a piece of garbage.

The only things I really liked from it still were the redesigns of Wolfman and The Creature.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I loved Monster Squad as a kid, but I rewatched it recently, and man, what a piece of garbage.

The only things I really liked from it still were the redesigns of Wolfman and The Creature.

I liked that the Wolfman was Uncle Rico.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monster Squad is about on par with the Goonies, in terms of how much of it holds up for an adult watching it today. I can't imagine someone liking one and disliking the other. Plus it's got the Universal Monsters all together so that automatically makes it cool. :drac:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

wa27 posted:

Monster Squad is about on par with the Goonies, in terms of how much of it holds up for an adult watching it today. I can't imagine someone liking one and disliking the other. Plus it's got the Universal Monsters all together so that automatically makes it cool. :drac:

Not true. I just watched both for the first time this year and I was really entertained by The Goonies.

Monster Squad, though...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Monster Squad is objectively better than The Goonies

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Monster Squad is a necessary movie because it's a thorough exploration of whether or not Wolfman has nards

he does

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Broadchurch season 2 stuff I was also confused by most of the season. The trial was pretty unexpected and completely outrageous. I'm sure trials are a bit different than they are in the US, but just completely throwing out the confession and the defense building a case only on speculation the entire time is idiotic. The old case Hardy was on was uninteresting too, I never felt like I really cared about it. Uhhg, why didn't they just convict Joe and have a new case for season two? Or at least make his prior case better, not some half bit side story.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slandible posted:

Broadchurch season 2 stuff I was also confused by most of the season. The trial was pretty unexpected and completely outrageous. I'm sure trials are a bit different than they are in the US, but just completely throwing out the confession and the defense building a case only on speculation the entire time is idiotic. The old case Hardy was on was uninteresting too, I never felt like I really cared about it. Uhhg, why didn't they just convict Joe and have a new case for season two? Or at least make his prior case better, not some half bit side story.

I liked that they tried exploring the damage a trial can have on the lives of people who weren't supposed to be on trial. I agree that they did an unfortunately poor job executing it.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Monster Squad is objectively better than The Goonies

I objectively don't think you're using that word correctly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I objectively don't think you're using that word correctly.

Please pay $5 for a different avatar.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've got a new one in mind already. Been too lazy to photoshop it though. Maybe this weekend.

Does the laughing man make you feel inadequate?

I just watched Zipper. I.... don't really know what to make of it. It's supposed to be a sleazy character examination, I think, but in the end it felt like nothing of consequence ever happened. I did enjoy seeing Patrick Wilson (my bae) acting across from Lena Heady, but I don't think the two of them were good enough to carry the film.

I think a lot of you might actually consider it to be a perfect example of an unnecessary film. :can:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 9, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chichevache posted:

I did enjoy seeing Patrick Wilson (my bae) acting across from Lena Heady, but I don't think the two of them were good enough to carry the film.

Speaking of budget Bradley Cooper, I finally found a movie where I enjoyed him. Insidious, which I think is on Netflix UK, turned out to be a pretty decent horror movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Speaking of budget Bradley Cooper, I finally found a movie where I enjoyed him. Insidious, which I think is on Netflix UK, turned out to be a pretty decent horror movie.

First off, he is way better than Bradley cooper. Second off, have you not watched Stretch, Watchmen, or Hard Candy? :psyduck:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

First off, he is way better than Bradley cooper. Second off, have you not watched Stretch, Watchmen, or Hard Candy? :psyduck:

at least two of those movies are not worth watching

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Basebf555 posted:

I was hoping for Noah to be a big hit because I couldn't wait to read all the bitter articles and reviews from religious groups. As it turned out the movie was largely ignored and the religious groups barely took notice.
A lot of the religious right shunned the movie long before it even came out because, unsurprisingly, they didn't like the fact that the people polluting the earth were portrayed as the bad people God doesn't approve of.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kuddles posted:

A lot of the religious right shunned the movie long before it even came out because, unsurprisingly, they didn't like the fact that the people polluting the earth were portrayed as the bad people God doesn't approve of.

I think the child murder was more of a turnoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Also the movie stunk