Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, we like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and, as I'm learning from the GBS thread, the entire rest of the world looks at that like we look at eating a giant wiggly bowl of eyeballs.

Our peanut butter tends to be sweeter (shocking, I know) and more blended than others, at least the British ones I've tried. "Smooth" peanut butter in England was crunchier than your average crunchy American peanut butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only ingredients in your peanut butter should be peanuts, and perhaps salt.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
For all you peanut butter purists, you can buy no sugar added peanut butter at literally every grocery store in the United States that doesn't have an attached gas station.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Eponine posted:

peanut butter purists

Christ

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PB on a hamburger is really good, peanuts & beef in general is a surprisingly awesome combination. That however... still would.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That's madness. Next thing you know they'll be stuffing Reese in burgers and what crazy goon idiot would eat that?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's madness. Next thing you know they'll be stuffing Reese in burgers and what crazy goon idiot would eat that?

Surely no one upon this upstanding web forum of Something Awful Dot Com llc. :colbert:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tzatziki is so goddamn good. I made some with full-fat Fage Total and it tasted better than a sour-cream-based dip.

Guess the GIS
fart sandwich

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Some people seem to have an irrational disgust for mixing sweet and savoury things, but it's actually really good. Pineapple on pizza, for example. Or toast with jam and cheese. Or a ham and apple sandwich.

Meh, I like honey with fried chicken and pineapple on pizza (with bacon > with ham). It's not really the sweet/savory thing I don't get as much as that grape jelly has a really strong flavor that doesn't seem to go with sausage or chicken or bacon to me. It is way stronger than apple slices with ham. As I said, to each his own. It's probably an acquired taste/ something people grew up doing.

I also don't like cheese and syrup together, but they actually serve mcgriddles with cheese on them. I haven't ordered one for years, but I would always get it without the cheese.

I realize it's just a subjective taste thing, rather than a "this is objectively gross" thing

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
A mild cheddar and applesauce is a good mix, in my horrible opinion.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Best cheese platter appetizer I ever had was brie, grannysmith apples and a caramel drizzle

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

NotAnArtist posted:

Best cheese platter appetizer I ever had was brie, grannysmith apples and a caramel drizzle

:shlick:

Doing this for my family's Christmas Eve get-together because no one will touch it so MORE FOR ME.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a little baked brie with a drizzle of honey on a crustini or cracker is amazeballs

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiggum posted:

A couple of recent photos from our favourite Czech eatery:

Pasta salad with pork medallions, American dressing, toast.

Roast duck, red cabbage, dumplings.

It's weird because it's actually arranged quite nicely, but the colours are a little shocking. Definitely would, though.

Also, which one of you suggested hotsauce on Granny Smith apples? I have yet to try this.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

cash crab posted:

It's weird because it's actually arranged quite nicely, but the colours are a little shocking. Definitely would, though.
Why is the cabbage swimming? Cabbage shouldn't swim.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
We have not addressed what is plaguing the chicken.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Efexeye posted:

a little baked brie with a drizzle of honey on a crustini or cracker is amazeballs

Not eating rind cheese at room temp, blasphemy.

There are no cheese rules

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

buncha cheese caligula's in the thread here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

buncha cheese caligula's in the thread here.
Cheese Chavez

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eponine posted:

We have not addressed what is plaguing the chicken.

Caraway seeds? Also it's duck, which makes sense because they love caraway seeds.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Bean dog fell apart

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
You would think that I could get real poutine here in central Maine, with it being so close to Canada. But the poutine here uses pipeline gravy and regular (lovely) shredded cheddar cheese. It is somehow less appetizing to look at than real poutine. Don't get me wrong, it is still the best thing to eat at 2:00 AM, but it just bugs me that I can't get the real deal in a state that's practically part of French Canada.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tiggum posted:

That is some sad-looking red cabbage. More like red cabbage and water. Literally red cabbage from a jar looks better:

cash crab posted:

Red cabbage is great with sausages, or really any kind of meat - porkchops, grilled chicken, etc.The cooked version in a jar (with or without apples) is actually quite decent - Cold, hot, don't matter. It's quite sweet in taste when cooked. It's a bit bitter when raw but still good in a raw 'slaw' with just raw red cabbage and some diced apples. Over here it's a common side similar to applesauce in restaurants if you get blood sausage, sausages or porkchops - the whole sweet/savoury thing again. I've never seen it with duck before though.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Dec 8, 2015

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Go to hell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tiggum posted:

My biggest problem with this is that these dumplings are great, but require a shitload of sauce or they're the driest thing you ever ate. The problem with this plate: there is no sauce. As disturbingly wet as the cabbage is, that's not a substitute for sauce.

The spice on the duck is most definitely caraway seeds, the Czech love that (and we Bavarians do too to a lesser extent), I'm fine with it if it's not excessive. In this case: borderline.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

Also, which one of you suggested hotsauce on Granny Smith apples? I have yet to try this.

I didn't, but I would. Also salted chili is awesome on just about all fruits. (Can you tell I grew up surrounded by Mexicans?)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Trent posted:

Meh, I like honey with fried chicken and pineapple on pizza (with bacon > with ham). It's not really the sweet/savory thing I don't get as much as that grape jelly has a really strong flavor that doesn't seem to go with sausage or chicken or bacon to me. It is way stronger than apple slices with ham. As I said, to each his own. It's probably an acquired taste/ something people grew up doing.

I also don't like cheese and syrup together, but they actually serve mcgriddles with cheese on them. I haven't ordered one for years, but I would always get it without the cheese.

I realize it's just a subjective taste thing, rather than a "this is objectively gross" thing

The pinnacle of this is of course Chicken and Waffles.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

:agreed:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
These things all sound yummy. In my defence, there is a big difference between "fresh fruit and brie on a crostini" and "packet of mcdonald's grape flavored jelly substitute and american cheese food product on a burnt (and yet somehow still damp) english muffin"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The pinnacle of this is of course Chicken and Waffles.

I can't disagree there.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Seattle. I've never seen it at a grocery store (and I've looked) but I've noticed it a couple times at boutique stores and Pike Place Market. I just don't want to pay the jacked-up novelty price because I'm not a: a tourist or b: a wealthy tech drone.

A lot of farmers' markets around here sell cheese curds.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gamma Nerd posted:

A lot of farmers' markets around here sell cheese curds.

Farmer's markets that are only open when I'm at work, annoyingly, or I'd be there every weekend.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
In that spirit, I wanted to get my girlfriend a cooking class of some sort for Christmas and almost all of them around us were during normal business hours. Who wants to learn how to make ravioli at 2pm on a Thursday?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Bored housewives

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Eponine posted:

In that spirit, I wanted to get my girlfriend a cooking class of some sort for Christmas and almost all of them around us were during normal business hours. Who wants to learn how to make ravioli at 2pm on a Thursday?

:corsair: :corsair: :corsair:

The bored housewives are at the gym. Daytime classes are all olds.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

On that note, though, cooking classes are fun. Olds don't bother you except to tell you boring stories, and in the end, you will be super good at making sushi or stew or whatever. 10/10.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Though this looks gross, peanut butter sauce on chicken or pork chops is really, really, good. Mix in cayenne and cumin and it will make your day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

On that note, though, cooking classes are fun. Olds don't bother you except to tell you boring stories, and in the end, you will be super good at making sushi or stew or whatever. 10/10.

Who the hell can't make a stew? Just throw meat, potatoes, and spices in a pot with broth and cook the poo poo out of it. Add the rest of the veggies an hour before you're gonna serve it. Boom, you just made a bad rear end stew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who the hell can't make a stew? Just throw meat, potatoes, and spices in a pot with broth and cook the poo poo out of it. Add the rest of the veggies an hour before you're gonna serve it. Boom, you just made a bad rear end stew.

:ohdear: I couldn't think of anything other than sushi

• Locked thread