Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

How many DLC characters are there total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Erg posted:

How many DLC characters are there total?

Just the two.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Now that Sophie's development is done, GUST has announced Shallie+. Won't link it at risk of possible spoilers though, but sone confirmed details are Logy and Ayesha returning as playable characters. You can pull off a 6-person Dusk alchemist party if you include Keith.

Also, Ayesha was not magically transformed into a child, but got a slight redesign to show she's actually older.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

pichupal posted:

Now that Sophie's development is done, GUST has announced Shallie+. Won't link it at risk of possible spoilers though, but sone confirmed details are Logy and Ayesha returning as playable characters. You can pull off a 6-person Dusk alchemist party if you include Keith.

Also, Ayesha was not magically transformed into a child, but got a slight redesign to show she's actually older.

Well, for this series is a new. Normally the recurring characters seem to have next to none difference between two apparition that, so we are told, take some years in between them.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

pichupal posted:

Really?! I'm excited now, I was so disappointed that they never brought Ayesha back (spoiler relevant to spoiler above, not really story spoilers?).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

pichupal posted:

Goddamitt. I mean, the spoilered bit is cool, but I guess I'll just YouTube them to see what they do.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Close Side of the Two Friends

The elusive alchemist

Wait, why?

The risk vs. reward is too unfavorable for now.

Sounds reasonable. Risking our lives going to a distant land isn't going to help Stellard anytime soon...

Unfortunately. It's not just you... Central's independent investigation is also going too slowly.

Can't the alchemist who helped with the water equipment help with this?

If they really wanted to help, we wouldn't have had to implement the emergency measures.

But maybe...!

I don't have that much information about them. If you're interested, you should ask the chairman. The water is under his jurisdiction anyway. He's the one who talked with the alchemist.

Then we should go see Perriend!

They might know more about the Dusk...!

What you want to know is how to stop the drought, not concerning the Dusk.

That's not really...

Then what? What do you intend to do?

I don't think the things happening in my village and in Stellard are unrelated... That's why I feel like I need to find the truth behind this, as an alchemist.

I see, that's noble of you. Did you have the same idea?

Yeah! I want to help this town with my own hands, too!!

Even if you have to leave your mother?

...I can't do anything for my mom right now. I want to at least be someone who she would be proud of.

Is that so... Very well. Tell them, Linca.

Keithgriff Hazeldine...

It seems he came here to research alchemy from the past, but just happened to find an issue with the equipment.

What kind of person is he?

He's not much socially, but an honest guy. Also, he had an automaton following him.

Someone with an automaton following them... Wait, does it move on its own??

The name was originally given to human-like machine dolls capable of autonomous actions. They were created with alchemy in the past, but the technology is lost now. It's extremely rare to see one still in operating condition.

The one problem that Keith's visit caused was due to that automaton. Because of that, my son became obsessed... As if he didn't have enough issues already.

So that's why Al was asking for more information about automatons...

Where did this Keith go?

We don't know... Though he did have an interest in this region, so he may be working nearby.

I see...

He is a man who seeks to find knowledge through his own work. I'm sure you'll meet him if you continue your work.

That might take too long...

Searching for the truth is a long, frustrating process. You have to be prepared to invest a lot of time. Are we done? I've told you everything I know.

Yes.

Perriend, thank you so much.

Let's go back to the ship for now... We have to sort through this information.

Sounds good.

Distance

Music: Droplets of Time

So the only thing we found is his name.

He's an amazing alchemist, and he has an automaton... That might be enough. That sure sounds a lot like the guy I met in the ruins...

Wait, you met him before...?

Yeah. I was looking for automatons with Miruca and master, and he showed up as we found an automaton that we couldn't pick up.

I think I met him as well! Still, he didn't speak to me very much... I need to meet with him and talk to him as soon as possible. He might know more about the Dusk.

I know Solle said it too, but we might want to just continue with our investigations...

No way... If we meet Keith, we might learn about everything!

What would we do if he doesn't know? Leaving it up to other people won't solve anything.

...Are you saying I depend on other people too much...?

...I didn't really mean it that way.

...Not really... That's something I can't leave up to others either.

What?

Shallie, what're you gonna do?

I want to look for Keith, because I need to solve the problem in Lugion as soon as possible...

I knew it... Well, I can't help with that.

What do you mean?

Why would you say something like that! It's terrible!

Then why don't you want to try solving these problems together? Instead of relying on some guy you've never met!

I just... We haven't been able to find another solution... Besides, you don't seem to care about the problems in my village, either. The water here in Stellard just started drying up, so I can see why you think you still have time to laze around...

Lazy?! I'm trying my hardest around here!

So am I! You have no idea what it means to have so many people depending on you!

I... Ugh!

Yes. If our goals are different, there's no need to force ourselves to work together.

Yeah, I agree. I'm busy with my mom, and Stellard. I'm leaving.

Hunting down

Just be quiet, Kortes!

Is this really okay, miss?

...It's fine. We should just think about saving Lugion Village.

But... The problems in our village and Stellard aren't unrelated... We should do whatever we can to ease the burden of saving the village.

Of course, that's why we have to find Keith and ask him. I'm the representative of the chief, it's only natural for me to have this burden. (That's right, my situation is totally different from hers... She doesn't have any burdens. I'll definitely save Lugion...)

This isn't just your burden, Miss Shallistera. Kortes, Jurie, and I--

I know, Teo, but we've wasted too much time already. Lugion can't wait...

...So what're you gonna do now?

We'll search for the alchemist Keithgriff. He seems to know a lot about the Dusk.

I got it. We'll ask around. You should rest for today.

No, I'll go too. I need to go.

... (We're not gonna make any progress if she insists on doing everything herself. Still, I'm not the one who's gonna be the next chief...)

A new direction?

Now what should I do?

Mm? What're you doing, Shallie?

Oh, master! Um... I was just thinking about what I could do, and ended up here...

What? ...You're kidding.

I'm serious...

Haha! Just kidding. But, since we can't just go to the eastern continent, maybe you should just do normal work for now?

Normal work...? This is an emergency, you know! The water in Stellard could disappear...

And you're gonna fix it by walking around mindlessly...?

No, but...

Then you need to act! You're not really the thinking type, right?

That's not true...

Yes it is. I'm the same way.

Really?

Yep! That's why I know. If you're worried, just take action! That's how we are!

Hmm... You might be right.

You should go ask Solle for work.

Okay, I'll do that. Alright then, I'll do whatever I can!

Wait, are you okay!? Don't worry about me, just get some rest!

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll feel better in a little bit... But since you're home, would you mind talking a bit?

... (No, I need to stay cheerful like always! I can't cause mom any worry.) Um...

Hm...where's Shallie?

She's...busy with something. Something about her village, I don't really know, but... She said we couldn't work together for a while until she's finished.

She's an incredibly cheerful, good girl, Shallie. You should treasure your friends.

I know...

What's wrong? I can tell when you're feeling down.

It's...nothing mom.

Shallie...

Mom, I need to go get some work from Raoul. Why don't you get your sleep now?

Okay. Take care.

A brave face

You're alone today? That's strange.

That doesn't matter... More importantly, do you have any work?

Hmm, let's see... What about a survey of the open sea? That sounds ideal for you.

The sea? Uhm, you need a ship for that...

Of course you do. That's why I asked you.

Um, Solle? I wasn't in town for a while, so I really want to do something in Stellard!

Work in the city...? I wasn't expecting that. I'll need some time to make changes. I'm sure I'll find something. Mind waiting a while?

Oh, okay!

I didn't expect you to say you won't work out of town. Did something happen?

No... I'll do some work that uses the ship again soon!

Do you believe that?

Of course not. I'm surprised it took so long for problems to emerge between them. This is something they have to solve. Still...I wouldn't expect it to lead to such a break so fast. This must be serious.

If I had to guess, Shallotte is probably hiding something from Shallistera, and Shallistera took it the wrong way. Shallie herself was acting a lot more nervous, so unless it's about Stellard, it's probably about her mother.

Well, at least we have nothing to focus on at the moment. The best thing they could do is work this out, in the meantime.

Rosemia... Oh! Maybe you'd know!

Know what?

I'm searching for an alchemist named Keithgriff Hazeldine. He came to town recently, but he might be working around Stellard for a while. He helped fix the city's water supply the other day, and he's supposed to be really smart. Since you always stay by the harbor, maybe you saw him, and...

Hmm, so apparently this guy is a really great alchemist, huh? What was his name again?

Keithgriff. Have you met him before?

...No, I haven't.

Hmmm.

Was there something weird about him?

He should have an automaton following him... That's it, really.

An automaton, huh...

Yes. Do you know about automatons?

Of course... And actually, I have an idea about the person you mentioned.

Really??

Yes, I think he went to the Union.

Thank you so much! I'll check it out right now!

Maybe you should ask Escha.

(Well, at least it's something to work on, and I'm sure these materials would go for a high price if I sold them... But I don't have Holinic Ores... I should go gather them.)

Really? Do you know where he went??

I don't, but he said he was going to be checking out the area for a while. I'm sure he'll be back at some point...

Some point? But...

Oh uh, yeah, he gave me this alchemy recipe. He said, "Make this", but I have no idea what it's for.

Recipe, huh...

...Uhm, may I take it?

Huh? Sure, if you want it. I'm not sure what he wants this for, but, you can make it if you want.

Really? Thank you so much!

Um, Shallie... I saw the other Shallie earlier today. She was alone, and was asking if she could do some work in the city. Did you know she was looking for work?

Well...we had some separate jobs to do, so we decided to work on our own projects before we did some more investigations of the Dusk Sea.

Oh, that's good! I was worried something might have happened, because Shallie sounded kind of nervous. That's good then! If Keith comes by, I'll keep him here for you.

Thank you!

Meeting him

Oh... Right...

Shallie was right... Why did it turn into an argument...? I wonder what she's doing... She probably hates me... Anyway, I should be helping however I can right now!

I wonder what Keithgriff wants with something like this. I'm not even really sure what it does, but that was the recipe... Judging by its size, looks like it could be an automaton part.

Hello, is Shallotte here?

Ah, no... She's not.

I see. How troublesome... I can't go visit her home myself...

Why not?

She didn't tell you? I guess that's not too surprising... Nady, Shallie's mom, is very sick. She's had her condition for a long time, and it's uncurable. I guess Shallie was keeping it a secret to not worry you.

Shallie's mom is sick?!

The chairman found an alchemy book to help ease her condition, even if it's just a little bit... I need to get this book to Shallotte without Nady seeing it.

Why can't you let her find out?

Nady is still hiding something from her daughter.

I see...

If Shallotte comes by, tell her to visit the Corporation.

Umm, if it's okay... I could give the book to her.

Really? That would be helpful, and I'm sure she'll be happier getting it from you, too. I'll be around if you need me.

Oh... I know I heard Shallie talking about her mom with Mr. Perriend... Part of me probably just... Didn't care. Or thought there wasn't time for that. (I don't even know myself. Did I just want to find someone reliable to shove my responsibilities onto? Wow, I might be a terrible person... She probably hates me... What would I do if she doesn't want to see me...?)

Oh, Shallie, hi.

(Huh? This person... I've met them before...) I finished the recipe you gave me.

Wow, you must've worked really hard! Keith, this girl is an alchemist, too.

...Keith? You don't mean... Keithgriff?

Yes, this's him!

Really?!

...Hm. So, you Synthesized this?

Yes. I asked Escha to let me make this.

Hmm... I can use this. You have my thanks.

AH! Uhm, you fixed this city's water supply equipment, right?

Fixed? Haha, ah, don't make me laugh. That's just a temporary measure.

That's good enough for me, please, teach me! The water in my village is drying up, just like it is here. Do you know how to save this city and my home village?

And even if I did, there's nothing I can do. My only goal is to find the truth behind the Dusk.

No...

If you're an alchemist, you should look for the truth yourself. Not for the sake of others.

You said there might be clues about the Dusk in the relics and ruins of this region... Right?

... In a manner of speaking, yes. However, there are clues about the Dusk everywhere. I just happened to be passing through this region, and it is of some interest. That's all.

If you study relics from the past, maybe you can find the reason for the droughts?

Maybe... I'm heading out, so how about I pay you for that Synthesis...

You don't have to pay me. But, I would like you to teach me one thing... How to Synthesize the items in this book...

Let me see the book. ...I see. Follow me.

It seems highly likely that it's a disease of the respiratory and circulatory system.

...So, why did you decide to come straight to me?

Huh? Well, because...

Don't worry, it doesn't matter. Isn't this an illness of your friend's mother? You're an alchemist. Why don't you try to find a solution yourself?

I'm sorry... I just don't know what to do...

First, you need to think of ways to improve her condition. You should come to me after trying that, at least.

I understand. I'll try and think up a solution with alchemy on my own before asking you again. Can I ask you one more thing?

...Make it quick.

Are you going to be staying around Stellard for a while?

I'll stay as long as I have a reason to believe this area provides clues to the truth about the Dusk. I'm still investigating a number of ruins, so I'll probably be here for a while.

Thank goodness...!

(Ugh, it's boring around here without anyone around. I'll go see what Miruca's doing...)

That should be obvious. To study.

Oh... That sounds about right. But you're already an amazing alchemist... Doesn't that mean you've achieved your dream?

...What do you think it means to be "great"?

Hmm, I guess...someone who's serious about work and can get it done, and can be trusted by their clients... Maybe?

I felt the same way in the past. But the "great" instructors, my fellow students from the "great" houses in Central... I couldn't respect them. After that, it's hard to understand what "great" means anymore. I don't know what I should do now...

I think you're great, Miruca. You run an atelier by yourself... And you treat your customers really well. There's really nothing you need to be confused about...

...Your eyes look confused, too, Shal.

R-Really...?

Yes. When Shallistera came in here earlier today, she had the same look too. It doesn't seem like any of us know what we should be doing, or even if we should be "great" alchemists.

W-Well, in that case...we should only keep doing what we think is right, right?

Yes, I think so. Shal, I won't ask exactly what's going on between you and Shallistera, but she's doing her best, too. She's younger than you, Shallie, and she has responsibility to save all of her people from the Dusk.

So you're saying I should go back to her?

Not until you're ready. Give it time, you'll know what to do.

I know... Is it the same between you and Jurie?

... I'll see you later.

Yeah, see ya...

Tell her. She's her friend's mother. It won't hurt if she knows.

Very well, chairman. Nady's illness is a disease of the heart. It could be described as...her heart is weak. It's been a problem among some residents of Stellard, but Nady has one of the worst cases of it. Even simple exertion can be difficult for her, and results in her passing out and being short of breath, which is probably what Shallotte saw. It's not immediately life-threatening, but it is true her symptoms are worse than they were years ago.

...Thank you very much for telling me. So it'll just keep progressing if left alone...

It's difficult to slow its progress, let alone cure it, even with alchemy. It's quite unfortunate...

I'll try looking for a way... I know someone who might be able to help. Um, by the way...

Thank you. The chairman is a man who values his belongings, so he likely will have high expectations for its quality.

I'll examine it now.

Um... What do you think?

U-Um...?

The stitches are rough. The cloth is non-uniform. And it seems to have been sewn against the grain of the fabric.

...I-I see... (Wow, he's really checking it thoroughly...)

It's better than most items these days, but there really wasn't a need to place a second order...

O-Oh... I-I'm sorry.

Linca, come with me.

...Hahh. I guess I need to work harder to make Mr. Perriend happy.

Ms. Shallistera, here's your payment.

1000 Cole... Huh? ...Isn't this a lot more money than we agreed on...?

I have a message from the chairman. He says he would like you to improve yourself even more as an alchemist.

...Th-Thank you very much. I'll do my best...!

Were you going to ask her about that?

Oh, yes. There's something I need to ask you.

Oh? What is it?

I'd like you to tailor some clothing.

Wait...again?

There will soon be a Corporation dinner, and I convinced the chairman to wear something new for the occasion.

I see... But what about the suit I delivered?

It's perfectly functional for everyday activities, but this dinner is a little more special. Appearances are extremely important for the leader of the Corporation. But even so, I already have several sets of formal clothing, this is a waste of resources...

No, I cannot allow you to lose face, chairman.

(I don't really get what the Corporation does... But it sounds difficult.)

There you have it. Can I ask this of you?

I've written all the details here.

Yes, I understand. Is there a date when you want the suit delivered?

Obviously Nady is more important than my suit, and there's no date set for the dinner, either. Deliver it when it's convenient for you.

I understand. Thank you.

Even if it can't be solved with alchemy, maybe Escha could think of something.

No, I just thought you might know something... I'm just so lost...

Even doctors are stumped on this one. It would be exceedingly difficult for you to treat it on your own. Hmm... OH! I heard that homunculi go through reincarnation... They might know something!

So maybe Homura...!

A treasure hunter? Yeah, they might know...!

I suggest. Reyfer. Great. Treasure hunter!

Reyfer...? Where is he?

Probably in. Faav Village.

Hm...

Harry? Well, it does seem like he knows a lot. Thank you very much!

Hm... A disease of the heart... I'm very well-traveled, and I do know of a talented herbalist. She might...

Where is this person...!?

Unfortunately, it's been a while, and I don't know where she is. I've been searching for her myself, but...

I see...

I'm terribly sorry I can't be of more help... Do you know a treasure hunter named Jurie?

Y-Yes, I do.

You might want to speak with her. If anyone knows information like this, she would.

Alright, that should be enough ore for the metal...

You did great, Homura.

Thank you very much! I'll do that!

Oh, and also, Kortes mentioned that Teo knows a lot about medicine.

Teo...! I didn't even think of him. Thank you so much, Jurie...!

That's amazing, Teo!

According to your diagnosis, this medicine might form a proper foundation...

Thank you, Teo...!

But the disease sounds quite complicated, so I'm still worried, even with the medicine.

No, it's okay! I'll use this to think of something myself...! If I can help Shallie's mom even just a little...

Now to show this to Keith so I can see what he says about it...

A mother's worries

Shallie? You're home early.

Mom! I told you, you shouldn't be up!

I'm fine, see?

You collapsed the other day, mom! That's serious stuff! Go lie down!

Oh my gosh, you're so scary! Can't we talk a little? I hardly see you anymore...

(That's right...) Sure, let's talk a little.

Ah, as I'd expect from my daughter. You've really grown up.

Even the chairman of the Corporation was talking about giving me work...

I'm glad you're working hard, but make sure you're taking care of yourself. I know you get hungry really quickly.

...Yeah. I know. Hey mom, I'm gonna go report my work to Raoul. I'll come back after I'm done, okay?

Come back before dinner!

It's never too late

Good job! You're alone today, too?

Heh... Pretty much.

Huh? You don't normally dodge subjects... Did something happen?

Not really... Nothing happened. We're fine!

Oh yeah? Well. That's good then...

Solle, I sent the documents to Central.

Thank you, Escha.

Hello!

Oh, hello, Shallie. What're you doing here?

I figured I should get some work done.

Haha, that's good. Oh, also, I heard your mom wasn't feeling well. How is she?

What? How did you know?

The other Shallie was asking Keith something earlier. She said something about an illness...

Shallie did?

Is she not doing well?

Oh, no, she's fine! She's just... Same as always.

I see, that's good. I'll do whatever I can to help, so feel free to ask.

Okay...

Eh? Go where?

Shallie's place, of course.

Why?

It looks like you want to say something.

... I said something awful to Shallie... That's why I...

Don't tell me about it, go talk to her about it yourself!

Eeek!

I'm sure the other Shallie is waiting for you. She was really worried.

She won't turn you away. Get going!

Okay!

Um, what do you think...?

Many parts aren't optimized, but the plan itself is fine.

Then...!

However, this still can't be used on a patient.

I-I see. So it's no good...

I don't like people who give up easily. I told you, the plan itself is fine.

Maybe I overreacted... I'm sorry.

Stop apologizing. You're making me feel I've done something wrong. One of my acquaintances is a skilled herbalist. Her ability is the best when it comes to mixing medicines. She might be able to do something about this. I'll contact her, but you'll have to wait a while.

R-really!? ...Thank you so much!

...I simply don't agree with giving up on something with a chance of success.

(Shallie... I'm sure your mom will be okay! I'll make sure of it!)

There's nothing more to be done for now. Focus on your own work and I'll let you know when I've received the medicine. From what you described, it doesn't sound like this disease is life-threatening at the moment.

Can your acquaintance really make a strong enough medicine?

I know of no one else who can, if it is even possible. The only things you should focus on are the things that are possible. If this doesn't work, think of another way.

(I don't even want to think what to do if this doesn't work...) Thank you so much.

Making up

Music: Aquamarine -Game Version-

Getting ready for what?

Shallie?

About my mom... Thanks...

Oh, well... I haven't fixed anything... But I'm sorry I went and did it on my own.

I know. You should've just come to me instead of asking around.

But when I asked you, you didn't answer me!

It wasn't something I wanted to tell someone with her head full of some unknown alchemist!

Wait a minute... Are you saying you're a good enough alchemist that you don't need help?! Nothing will change if you convince yourself you're doing a good job! You'd be no different from me.

Yeah, we're the same on that point...

Shallie?

I take on more than I can handle. I get carried away, and I talk a big game. But I'm actually pretty flimsy. I didn't even realize what was happening with my mom, or with Stellard...

...I don't know why I got to be the representative... Deep down, I was thinking someone else would take care of it. I didn't do anything because I was afraid of being blamed or disliked by other people...

Shallie... We don't have that much in common as I thought... We really only share a nickname...

Shallie...

That's why it's natural for us to think differently and want different things. Still, we were able to become friends when we met. ...Sorry, Stera. You're the one I have to thank for helping me move forward. I realized that too late.

Shallie... No. Lotte. You're always so forward-thinking, I just used your strength to my advantage. I want to come up with my own answers, not as the daughter of a chief. Are you with me, Lotte?

Of course!

Stera?? Why are you crying?

Because... Uuwu... Here, Linca... Told me to give this to you... Uuu...

Linca?

I... I did it... I finally managed... To give it to you...!

Stera, hey, stop crying! We were finally able to make amends because of this. I feel like we'll be spending a lot of time together.

I'm still worried about things, we can finally start moving forward.

Yeah. Let's move forward, together.

We should...go thank Linca for delivering the book.

I wanted to thank you for giving me that book. I'm not sure if I can help Shallie's mom yet, but I want to do everything I can for her!

Oh, you're very welcome. I'm very grateful to Nady for when I was just starting to work here, but you didn't really need to come down here.

Um...

Hm? I-is something the matter?

Um, is it true that you have sisters who look just like you?

Um... Who exactly did you hear this from?

Escha...

Oh, is this something you don't really want to talk about?

No... To tell the truth, my sisters and I were separated when we very young. I'm the seventh of eight sisters.

EIGHT SISTERS!? I-Is is true you all look the same?

As far as I'm aware, but I haven't seen any of my sisters in a long time. The one Ms. Escha met was likely the youngest. But she shouldn't be that similar...

She said you looked so similar that she couldn't get used to you being a different person...

Th-That's impossible if she's number eight! I'm not that crude!

Uhh...

So the Linca in Colseit was the youngest at number eight, and this Linca is number seven... I heard that people with siblings don't like it when you say they're similar. I wonder if that's it? Still, they look the same...

The only thing we know is that we still don't know anything...

Hm, I met another Linca, too. She was totally different from the Linca I knew, because she liked to drink a lot and was really loud. The Linca I knew wasn't like that at all.

Three Lincas, and they all look the same... Where is the other Linca now?

Oh, she left Colseit long before I did. I don't think the Linca I know knows where she is, either.

Hm, I guess we might not ever know... Oh! Shallie! Did you want to do some work on the Dusk Sea?

(It looks like they're friends again. Thank goodness...)

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 6, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And interesting footnote to this update is this interview with Okamura I found just last night. It's interesting (don't read if you want to keep the spoiler further up on the page a surprise) that Shallie+ is going to "rebuild" Stera and Lotte's argument scene. In what way, I'm not sure, but Shallie+ is looking real interesting if you ask me.

The one thing I'm not sure about with the new characters is (do NOT read if you haven't finished this game) that Logy is clearly established to still be hanging out in Colseit in the ending, presumably still working for Marion and Colland). Ayesha's alright, though, because the ending to this game clearly establishes that she's still on the road with Keith, Odelia, and Nio, so her showing up to help out is perfectly explainable. We'll almost see her in a speaking role in Shallie+, which pleases me.

And I'm guessing the fans who really wanted Ayesha to be playable again and in a meaningful role since before E&L's release.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I can see why. It was kind of a romcom argument over nothing. Especially since Lotte didn't really accomplish much by herself while Stera accomplished both of their goals.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Yeah, I am almost certainly gonna have to pick up Shallie+ when it hits. I've been kind of ehhhh about playing the rest of the series myself because i loving hate time limits on this stuff, and this game did away with that and looks like a lot of fun anyway. I almost bought the base version a bit into the LP, and then they announced that + was coming stateside and i went "well i can wait".

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah I can see why. It was kind of a romcom argument over nothing. Especially since Lotte didn't really accomplish much by herself while Stera accomplished both of their goals.

I figure it's Stera getting even for when Lotte made a new engine for the ship earlier in the game :v:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So, next update in my Stera playthrough, I unlocked the Growth system by getting to level 40 (my Lotte playthrough has just started Chapter 8 and hasn't gotten there. It's very strange why her playthrough is lagging behind in experience so much compared to my Stera playthrough). This one of those mechanics, like the Field Busts, that's really hard to justify inside the game's setting / plot.

It operates pretty much how you might expect. Every level up you get, your characters get one Growth point. You can put these Growth points to apply various buffs to your characters, such as upgrading skills, increasing stats, or getting new skills (such as Lotte's broom counter, where if you switch Lotte in to defend against an attack, she'll counterattack after the enemy's attack is over). Nothing critical in the Growth system at all, but every bit does help, especially some of the skill-buffing ones.

Also, one final note: the Growth system was bugged right after Shallie's release. If you tried to access the system, it would crash the game. I was never so-honored to be able to experience that first-hand, as that bug was fixed before I got to that point in the game (which should be happening through normal growth by Chapter 7's free-roam or thereabouts). There was some hemming and hawing that it was a game-breaking bug, which is absolutely not true, as while the Growth system is nice, it is entirely non-essential to finish the game, even on Hardcore. Despair and NO HOPE are definitely, definitely not meant for the first playthrough.

I mean, don't interpret that as me as hand-waving the problem away. It's baffling the QA testers never caught it, but it's important to keep things in perspective.

Also, any spent / unspent Growth points from one playthrough will transfer over to a New Game+. It is impossible to get all Growth system upgrades on one playthrough, but on a second playthrough, I do believe it is possible once you start getting to level 90 or so (my second playthrough ended long before that). On my third playthrough on a single file, my Lotte playthrough, I'll easily be able to buy everything by the end of the game.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

So I don't remember if it's been asked, but which character do you prefer to play as? In terms of storyline, teammates, fighting ability etc. Obviously there's points where you see to get the full range of characters to choose from, but there are also points where you're restricted to that Shallie's friend group.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Roro posted:

So I don't remember if it's been asked, but which character do you prefer to play as? In terms of storyline, teammates, fighting ability etc. Obviously there's points where you see to get the full range of characters to choose from, but there are also points where you're restricted to that Shallie's friend group.

Honestly, if I had to choose, I would have to choose Lotte. Stera is the more "interesting" protagonist, in that her story has more weight, but Lotte is definitely the more "fun" protagonist. If we're expanding it to gameplay, Stera is objectively the better one (her items are used to greater effect via a skill than Lotte can do, much like how items used by Escha last game were more effective in her hands' than Logy's), but Lotte's team is superior. Wilbell is one of the best characters in-battle, and Miruca does not have exceptional offensive capabilities, but they are solid (and her Medical Shot is 3 free heals that also revives from KO, making her extremely useful early in the game when KO revival items are rare).

So, I prefer the atmosphere of Stera's side of the story, but as far as pure gameplaying, Lotte.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: The Aerial Side of the Alchemist's Training

...It's done...!

Just what I would expect from Homhom.

Yes. Well made. No problem.

You can use such a big sword despite your little body... That's amazing, Homura!

Shallie. Don't call little. This a matter. Of experience. Nothing about. Strength.

Don't worry, he'll be okay.

So soft...

Ahhh! I'm so jealous!

I go. Now! Jobs for. Solle.

Aw....come back soon. Shal, are you okay now?

Yeah...I am. Me and Stera just needed to talk about things, and I think we know more about each other now. Right?

Yes... It's going to be difficult for both of us, but we can do what we want, together. There's no reason we have to work by ourselves.

That's good... I'm glad to hear it. By the way... Do you know anything about fairy tales? I keep remembering one lately, but I can't remember the ending at all. It's really irritating. I was just wondering if you knew... Well, I don't expect much from Shal.

You never know, I might know everything about it!

It's about gold and silver parrots... Well?

Uh, I think I heard of it... Or maybe not... I guess not...

Hmm, I don't recall anything like that either... I'm sorry.

...I was just wondering. Don't worry about it.

Is it...possible Jurie told you this story?

Jurie? Maybe...

Do you know that one, Jurie?

Gold and silver parrots... It's a story I made up for Miruca ages ago.

Huh!? Then what happens in the end!?

It was a spur of the moment, so I don't really remember. I'm sure Miruca fell asleep, so I just ended it there.

But she really wants to know what happens.

...If it's for Miruca, I have to do it. I'll try writing the end.

(Oh... Jurie seems really happy...)

Oh, Raoul, do you have some work for us?

...You should do just fine. Yeah, it's work. A really important mission...!

An important mission!?

Shh! Quiet!

Sorry!

I can't tell you who requested this, but we need to be careful to keep it quiet.

So... What exactly is this mission?

Right, it's about Perriend's secretary, Linca... You need to find out if she's interested in anyone.

"Interested"...? Why does the client want to know that?

Hey, it's the client's request. He promises you'll be rewarded for this, so...

...We've been given a difficult mission.

At least it shouldn't take too long.

I just hope it goes well...

You have business I can help you with?

Um... This is a private matter, but...

I can keep a secret.

Um, you don't happen to have anyone you like... Do you?

Let's see, well, of course I like the chairman. Albert as well. Oh, and of course I like you two.

Um, that's not quite what I meant. I'm asking if there's someone you like more personally...

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

(This might be impossible...)

(Oh brother...) Well, let's just get back to Raoul.

Raoul...?

How'd it go? Did you finish your top secret mission?

Um, well... There's probably not anyone she likes.

Really? ...Alright then, good work. I'll let the client know!

Um...? What's going on!?

Hey...! Raoul, what about our payment!!

Hahh, hahh... There's Mr. Raoul...

Hahh, hahh... Now where's he going? Give us a break...

Is this something you don't feel like you can tell the chairman directly? I can let him know for you if you like...

No, uh... This doesn't have anything to do with him...

Then what could it be?

Uh, oh right! Homura...! Homura wanted me to tell you something...

Homura? I just saw him not too long ago...

Really... Uh, yeah that wasn't it, uh... Right! Nice weather today, isn't it?

Yes, although every day is about the same as the last.

Haha, ha, yeah. ...Really pretty...

Hm? What is?

Oh! Um... This water is! The weather's nice, it's so shimmery...

Yes, that's right. We can't let the water stop flowing. The chairman always says the same thing.

Oh, of course... I'll tell him... What was that...?

Raoul is just hopeless...

It might be best to forget we saw this...

Automatons...! Automatons. Ah, such a noble and sublime sound...!

Al... Are you okay?

Oh, it's just you Shallie.

"It's just you"? That's kinda rude. And why do you keep saying "automatons" over and over again?

Ah, that's because I've been completely enchanted by automatons.

Huh... And why, all of a sudden?

To tell the truth, the other day I met an alchemist who came from another city. They had an automaton with them... Why, the moment I saw her was like a shock to my heart. All my life I had been waiting for this person...!

...Huh, I see.

Now she runs through my mind, both awake and asleep. Even now I wonder what Odelia is doing...

(So her name is Odelia?)

Ah, but please don't misunderstand. I'm not simply enchanted by her appearance. The way she speaks, and walks, everything about her presence is simply overwhelming... Ah, Odelia! You're simply the greatest! Grace this pitiable man with your every aspect! Anyway... I figured if I studied automatons, I could find out more about her charms. Do you understand now?

Yeah, I understand... That you're an unexpectedly tiresome guy, Al...

How can you say that, Shallie!? Ah, automatons...there must be more in this world!

Lotte, maybe we should give Albert that automaton just so we can get away.

Oh yeah, sorry! I'll be right back!

Oh, Shallie. What is it?

We came here to give you something really great today!

Something great...? What could it be?

Here it's this. You want this, right?

Th-This is...! An automaton!

You said before that you were collecting them. We found one for you!

Wow...! Th-This... Is it really okay for me to have this?

Of course! Besides... I doubt anyone but an automaton maniac like you would want something like this...

Hah! I'm at the summit of happiness right now, even the sarcasm of my ill-natured childhood friends can't hurt me!

Well SORRY for being "ill-natured"!

Well, I guess it's a pretty cute doll...

Huh... I-I guess so...

She sang... She sang for me! Ah, such a lovely, clear voice...! Right, here, your reward. If you find another automaton, please bring it to me!

I've taken yet another step toward the truth behind my lovely Odelia... Ah, such fortune!

A-Anyway, Al, we'll see you later!

What's wrong? You don't seem too cheerful...

To tell the truth, I made a huge mistake... I put the Slag coins you collected in my shop, but they won't sell at all. I thought it was weird, but then I realized they were only valued a long time ago. They're worthless now...

Yes I heard.

You heard... Wait, you knew!?

Raoul told me.

If you knew, then why didn't you tell me sooner!?

I thought it was interesting that you were trying to sell money. I fugred you had some sort of plan...

Grr... I guess I still have a lot to learn as a merchant... I lost a lot of money...

(I guess everyone's got their own troubles.)

To make up for this loss, I need to make some big sales... Oh, I know. You two are alchemists, right? Actually, I've got some rare items for alchemy in stock... Would you care to take a look?

Oh, uh... Sorry, I don't have any money on me right now! I swear! See you later!

Wait up... Please!

Okay! I don't know if I'll buy anything, but I'll browse!

Every time I see you, you're so full of energy...

(She seems happier than usual... Also...) Um, I feel as though you have a lot of valuable items here that I've never seen before... O-Of course I think the stuff you had before was wonderful, too!

You noticed? I'm glad you have such a sharp eye. But... This is also thanks to you.

Huh? I don't think we did anything...

Now now, no need to be so humble. Without your efforts, slaying the Sand Dragon would have been far more difficult... That's what everyone says.

Well... I guess that IS kind of a big deal!

Yes, thanks to you, the areas I can visit to collect items has grown... I believe I should thank you.

Please take your time and look over everything.

By "customers" Rose probably means...

Stop. We shouldn't think about it anymore...

Hm, I believe I see someone who might be interested in talking to me.

Huh...? Master!

S-Seriously?!

Of course! The fact that she's a lot like your master could mean that Rose is a magician too!

Ugh, I just said that she reminded me of my master! There's no way she could be a magician...!

I'm curious too...! Wilbell, let's all go and ask her.

U-Uh, I really don't want to see her...

Um! Rose, are you a magician!?

Direct, as usual...

Oh dear, why the sudden question? You have quite the imagination, young lady.

Please tell us!

That's easy for you to say, but.. I'm not even sure how I should answer that.

(I knew Ms. Rosemia would say something like that...)

...Enough playing dumb, you know the answer. It seems like you tried to hide it... But I can sense a bit of magic from you.

Oh dear... You noticed?

Huh!?

"Was"? ...So that means you decided to stop being a magician!?

Yes, you could say that... Although your earlier assumption wasn't quite correct. I wasn't trying to hide my magic at all. I simply didn't use it for so long that eventually it began to fade on its own. I didn't think there was any left by this point...

Um! Why did you quit being a magician?

I only answer one question a day. Besides... Don't you think it's rude to pry so much into the lives of others?

I guess... We all have our own reasons, huh?

Hehe... Now young lady, if I may ask...why do you continue to be a magician?

Uh... So I can be recognized as a great magician by master, I think.

Oh... Is that all? What do you need to prove to her?

Uhhhh...

You are still young, so you will see many days ahead of you. Use that time to find out what you want to do with your life.

Ugh, you're so persistent!

But you won't teach me anything about flying!

(What's a magician supposed to teach you!?) ...You should learn to think for yourself a little. If you really want to fly, that should be natural. (I should be able to keep her fooled like this!)

I guess...

Shallie...?

I tried reading, but what I read didn't help much... No matter how much I think, I can't come up with anything.

(She doesn't know what to do... She sounds like me back then.)

And the more I think about it, the more scared I get... That I don't have any talent with alchemy.

(But she's different form me... I ran away from my troubles. Still...) Fine! No getting gloomy! Your cheerfulness is your redeeming feature, so just keep holding onto those dreams.

...Huh?

First you need to use your body! We'll talk after that. Try sitting on the borom dozens, no, hundreds of ways. Sit on the broom, and imagine yourself flying where you want to go. This is a matter of body AND mind!

I-I see...! I understand!

Um, so sit on the broom... And imagine myself flying... Oh! I do feel like I can do this!

You're really fast at getting back on yoru feet, that's for sure...

I'll try running like this!

First flights

Huh? Why's everyone so excited?

...There. I found...!

As expected. I don't recognize you as a top tier treasure hunter for nothing.

By the way... Have you noticed anything strange around town lately?

Mm, I don't think I've noticed anything too out of place.

I see. That's good.

However, I have heard a rather curious rumor... There're several people who've mentioned monster activity increasing lately.

Something like that. I deal with.

Yeah, Homura! Show 'em who's boss!

Monster activity restricts our activities as well. That's a problem.

There's solutions. For example...

I didn't do anything... But information is vital in the hunting business. It's necessary to be assertive. I don't really care for how hunters exaggerate so much when they talk... But it could be useful for writing.

Stera!

Lotte! Wait...why are you so tired?

Ehehe...I tried flying. It was hard, but I think I made some progress. Just have to keep practicing!

Haha...

Oh, I just got a letter from my coworker back home yesterday. I'm curious about what's going on there...

A letter from home? What did it say?

Well, he said the apple harvest is bigger than usual this year. He mentioned work and said not to worry that I'm not there... Though I don't know if I like the sound of that.

...That sounds like good news. That's great... I want to get a letter from home too...

What's your relationship with your coworker?

Huh!? Why do you ask...? I don't know what to say... He's just someone I worked with.

Well, if he was just a coworker, you wouldn't be THAT happy to getting a letter from him.

Of course she would be really happy. I'm curious about my home, too.

That's normal! Which reminds me, your hometown is really far away, isn't it Shallie...?

Do you ever miss it?

I do feel like that sometimes... But I met you two thanks to coming here, and I get letters too, so I'm just fine!

So Escha, who you're getting all these letters from again?

I'm sorry Miss Escha... Let's just go Lotte.

Hahaha!

Raoul...

What's with you!? Don't tell me you were watching...! Tell me exactly what you saw!

...Nothing really.

I'm sorry, we can't say...

Well... After talking to the client, I understand that men are all about their work. A man is at his finest while working! Hahaha... Hahh...

Um... Raoul, a lot can happen throughout life. Nobody knows exactly what lies ahead for them...

I'm getting sympathy from people like you. I really am finished... Anyway, it's fine... I'm not heartbroken or anything. ...Oh right, you should take this. I don't need it anymore... Hahh...

Alright, back to work. Men are all about work...! Speaking of which, I've received reports from the Crystal Valley talking about some powerful monsters living there. Did you two notice anything when you went to Faav Village?

Yes, I do remember some powerful monsters living there. We were more concerned about making it through than fighting.

I understand. Well, if you can take those monsters out, it would make passage to Faav Village much easier. It's up to you.

Wow, where did Raoul get this...?

Oh, hello! Do you have some business with Solle? I apologize for intruding. We should be taking our leave now.

Yeah. It's good to see you again after such a long time. Later!

Solle, are you friends with them?

It's about as easy to be friends with them as it is to describe Slag life cycles.

U-Um, that seems a little harsh...

I'm joking. Harry helped me out when I was young, and Reyfer works with him. I suppose you could say that we're acquaintances.

Wait, just acquaintances?

Well , he just barged in here, after years away, and declares he'll be finding some new, unseen, treasure.

I only just met Harry, but...that does sound like something he'd do...

Well... He's not a bad person. Some of his achievements are even recognized by Central.

Huh, so he really was an amazing person.

...I suppose you could put it that way.

I-I see... (It's kind of hard to tell whether Solle is on good terms or bad terms with him...)

No, I actually have business with you two!

It would be for the best if you don't ask for any details, and refuse immediately...

To tell the truth, I've received information that there's some sor tof hidden treasure in ruins nearby... As young people with promising futures, I wanted you to experience the excitment of discovering that treasure!

U-um, I don't know if we... Aah!

What do you think!? An adventure with me, exploring unknown ruins!

U-Um, please, give us a little time to think about it!

Ugh... This is why I told them to just refuse outright. He's not a bad person, but...

We're not really looking for anything. There's something we want to ask...

Go right ahead, I don't mind.

Um, have you ever heard of a place where no matter how much you try to advance... You just end up at the same place?

That's probably an endless corridor trap. They were used in quite a lot of places in the past.

I knew it! I thought something was strange about it!

Hehe, it seems you went through quite a lot of trouble. There used to be a particular item that would allow you to enter those kinds of places...

Really!? What was it?

Such a trap simply deceives the eyes of people who aren't meant to pass. If you apply a certain eye medicine to correct your vision, you should be able to pass through.

Huh... I see...!

...Unfortunately, I've forgotten the recipe to make it. Time certainly takes its toll. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

No, that's more than enough...! Thank you very much! (Now that I think about it... Exactly how old is Ms. Rosemia?) Um...

What is it?

Ms. Rosemia, remember what we talked about before...?

...You wish to know the reason why I became a collector?

You should be able to do anything else you want, Rose. Why would you choose to do a weird, and kind of dubious, job like this?

Hehe, do you really think that being a collector is "weird"?

I-I'm sorry! Lotte didn't mean anything rude by that... Right!?

Oh my, no need to worry so much. I actually prefer people who are honest. That's why... I'll tell you just a tiny bit about myself, out of respect for your innocence.

Th-Thank you!

A long time ago... I lost someone very dear to me in an accident. It was a horrible tragedy. But no matter how much I cried, I knew they would never come back. So I decided I would search for something to remember him by. I went out into the Dusk Sea... And to my surprise I found this kind of work to be quite calming.

I'm so sorry... This wasn't something we should have asked about so lightly...

Now now, no need to apologize.

...Um! Did you ever, um...find the memento you were looking for?!

I hear that the ship he was on is still out there, somewhere in the Dusk Sea. I'm sure I'll find something there... If you were to find that ship, would you mind searching for a memento in my place?

Y-Yes! Of course...!

Huh, where did Miruca go?

She's over there. Do you see her on deck?

But... It's weird. They're sisters, but they don't talk when they're with each other.

They weren't like that before. Miruca's always been cool headed, and Jurie was really attached to her. But before I knew it, they were barely talking at all.

I wonder why...

I have no idea, I can't think of anything! It bothers me, too... But I can't do anything about it. I want to help them, but...

..I'm sure they'll understand your feelings.

Yeah... Thanks!

(I wonder what drives people apart.)

Is that...?

Oh... An automaton! I'm sure Al would be happy if we brought this to him.

That's the first monster Raoul wanted us to defeat...

And there's the other!

Mission complete.

Is that all we came here to do?

Raoul wanted us to clear out some of the wildlife between here and the trading post. I guess we could do that for a little while before we go back...

Good practice. Always!

What's the Water Festival?

They've been having them in Stellard since forever. People play around with water to show appreciation for its abundance. But with all the talk of a drought this year, it might not even happen... Argh, it's one of the few things to look forward to every year!

Huh, it sounds like a fun festival!

Yeah, there's lot of stands selling stuff, and you can use as much water as you want. it's great.

They had it back when I was in Stellard. It was a pretty lively festival. A lot of things happened too...

Kortes...? You look really relaxed, did something fun happen back then?

N-No, it's nothing. Don't worry about it.

...You're acting weird, Kortes. But it would be nice if the Water Festival wasn't canceled.

Yeah! I'm looking forward to it!

Working while on a ship? You're like a model government official.

If I don't take care of the paperwork every day, scary things happen.

Hey, I'm curious, what kind of things do you work on?

All kinds of things. I receive budget reports, assist Raoul with allocating work, work with different teams to coordinate efforts, including Shallistera and Shallotte, manage communications between Central, the Union, and sometimes even with the Corporation. It's endless.

...Well even a hunter goes dull if they don't do anything.

Hard work is a virtue of humankind. You have to keep working to maintain a healthy mind and body...

I can't really sympathize, seeing how I don't have a daily routine like that...

Oh, right...

...What?

You attended school in Stellard, right? Would you mind helping me organize this paperwork? It will probably do wonders for your mind and...

He's pretty fast at running away, at least. I should've expected this from a fisherman.

I was a little surprised about him running away, but...

Solle's lack of surprise is impressive...

It's weird meeting in a place like this.

I had a request.

Don't hold back, you can always just ask us!

Well, they're saying that... What do you want to do?

I don't really care.

Alright, then it's settled. The contents of this request was... Let's see, was it gathering research ingredients?

Yeah, relics from the past.

There you go. I don't know much about alchemy, so I don't really understand what it's all for... But I'm sure you'll do fine. You're all alchemists, you should be able to understand each other.

Please don't let Shal pick up anything strange.

Hehe, leave it to me.

Hey, you guys!

Raoul, you too!? This is too much!

Oh, already? That was fast, thank you. Did you need anything made?

Wow, you two had a lot of business today. Can you two report back to Raoul and tell him the job is complete? I need to clean up my atelier.

Sure! Let's get going!

Yeah. I'm sure you already know, but dragons are the things most feared by treasure hunters.

I don't think unskilled people should become treasure hunters, anyway.

Hello, Raoul... What were you talking about, Kortes?

We were just talking about some dragons that live around here...

...And about asking Kortes to take care of their extermination.

Wait, why Kortes and not me!?

You didn't like the idea of hunting dragons, so I came here on my own...

You didn't have to keep it secret...

And we've heard about it now!

...Very well, I trust that you'll be accepting the job?

Grr, I get it already. I'll make my own decisions!

I'm kind of surprised you want to hunt dragons, Shallie, but I'll be glad for your help. Do we know where they are?

Not at the moment, no. Survey teams report some movement that might be a dragon somewhere in the Dusk Sea, but that doesn't exactly help.

Um, I finished the item you requested...

I'll examine it now.

Um... What do you think?

Hmm...

Um... Is it okay...?

The gold thread is slightly out of line... The stitching on the tuck is a little conspicuous...

I see... (I thought he would be happy this time...)

Am I to understand you made this suit with alchemy?

U-Um, yes, I did...

I see. Suits of this quality are better off left to professional tailors, as it's impossible to get accurate measurements of the person who will be wearing the suit using just alchemy. However, you seem to have regarded the comfort of the wearer, and the way it would conform to their figure.

...You can tell that?

...I know a good item when I see it... I'm glad to see that you've improved.

Th-Thank you very much. Um... I've been wondering this for a wihle, but... Why are you giving me special treatment like this?

You're an alchemist, correct? ...That's what you said when we first met.

I...I was just trying my hardest to get someone to listen to me... Maybe I sounded a little conceited...

No, you did the right thing. While I may expect the absolute best, you're still young.

As a customer, I simply wish to see that evolution come to fruition.

Mr. Perriend... I'm going to work really, really hard!

Yes, I expect great things from you. While I may be in opposition to the Union a lot, it's clear that alchemy has its place in Stellard's future. When I'm no longer able to lead the Corporation, your generation will have to ensure its safety. Can you promise me you will use alchemy to preserve Stellard and our way of life?

Yes! I want to do everything I can to help Stellard!

I see... I'm glad to hear it.

Ms. Shallistera, here's your payment.

(I guess even things like this can tell me if I've matured...)

Are you worrying again? You're going to get wrinkles if you keep frowning like that.

Kortes... I just don't know how to get the people here to listen to me...

Oh, that... To be honest, I think whatever happens happens. Same with Stellard. You don't need to keep straining yourself like that, just play your strengths.

I don't know... I just end up worrying about it.

That does seem like something you'd do. But we don't know how long the drought will last, or when it'll be too late. You'll get poor results with uinformed, rushed work. Just do the things you can do right now, and stay positive.

...You're a lot more capable than me, Kortes. It's hard for me to think that way.

Thinking negatively produces negative results. People's thoughts affects their futures more than you'd think.

I sort of understand, but I kind of don't... But I think I get what you're trying to say. I need to look ahead, and do what I can now. That's the shortest path to a solution.

Exactly. And if one plan doesn't work, you try another. The next clan chief is pretty sharp, as expected. Our clan will be safe for a while longer.

Hey, don't poke fun at me! (But thanks to him, I think I"m starting to see what I need to do... Thank you, Kortes.)

Welcome home, Shallie. I've been feeling a lot better lately thanks to the medicine.

Really? ...That's good. But don't push yourself too hard, alright?

Don't worry. I'm your mother. I'm a lot tougher than I look. Also, your friend worked really hard for this. I can't just sit around and do nothing!

...Jeez, mom.

Maybe I should make something special for a change? Could you give me a hand, Shallie?

(Stera... Thank you so much.) ...Oh right, I shouldn't be relaxing. I need to continue my training!

Take that! I'm not done yet!

You never seem to get tired of this.

Oh, Master Wilbell! That's because I made my choice. I'll keep working until you accept me...!

Well... I can accept that honest part of you.

Does that mean you'll teach me how to fly!?

Uh... About you...

...?

What? Whaaaat!?

Well you see, um, we're actually following different paths, in a way...

N-no way...

That's why... I'm sorry. I just couldn't tell you whenever I saw your innocent and happy face.

Master... But you're still my alchemy master!

Alchemy... You really are a big idiot, aren't you?

W-what's that supposed to mean!?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 6, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The beast boss fight was on Despair, and once again I forgot to reset it. A video worth watching, as I manage not only to subdue the mongrel, but I did it with the finishing blow version of Escha's super attack. Proudly featuring the Knowledge Book aka the closest thing in the Atelier universe to a nuke.

And for a little gameplay note about this update, particularly the Raoul scene where Stera told him Linca probably wasn't interested in anyone. You actually get a choice there "Probably yes" or "Probably not". Answering the former gets Raoul all depressed, and he gives you the Gunade Ring (a really fantastic accessory at this point) and ends the subplot there. Answering the latter leads to what I covered, and gives you a trophy if it's your first time seeing that CG.

And just because I remembered it just now, this update on Lotte's side was kind of a disaster. Initially I recorded all of Lotte's Chapter 7 on one video, which is good, because the fewer videos I have to sift through to find screenshots / videos, the better, but I played around with my computer a bit while the video was encoding, and I caused massive audio / video desync in the final video. Normally I wouldn't give a drat, because the post-story scenes are all unvoiced, and I use Stera's battle videos in the interests of balance. It was just her voiced scenes early on in the chapter that caused this decision.

But, the only other notable thing is there appears to be some sort of glitch with Lotte's broom after the first flying stuff. At some point, it disappears, and looks really awkward in battle when she's holding an invisible broom. Luckily, all you need to do is simply leave your Lotte game (either by going to the title screen or loading another save file), and reloading will make the broom appear again. What a strange glitch. It also happened on my first Lotte Chapter 7 run, so I know it's not a one-off thing.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 30, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Does the CG for imbuing change back to the original one during the chapter that the two Shallies are split up?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Erg posted:

Does the CG for imbuing change back to the original one during the chapter that the two Shallies are split up?

I would imagine so. The period of time they're split up is really short, so I've never tried it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aww, cute. Escha got Logy's combo attack :3:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
You know, I've been doing some thinking, and I think this is going to be the last Atelier I LP. Unless Sophie or any future Ateliers are just super compelling, these kinds of games really don't lend themselves well to being LP'd and depending on post counts to stay remotely readable. Of course, my own lack of skill in making entertaining threads is part of it, to be sure (though if you in any way enjoy reading my stuff, I thank you sincerely), but this series in general is really is an example of a series that's fun to play, with endless ability to customize and play the game the way you want, but it's hard to communicate that appeal if you don't play the games and only watch someone else do them.

Of course, it's only appropriate if I start the trilogy to end it, but I just can't see myself slaving away at another Atelier thread. I mean, not to lessen the work other authors put into their threads, but these threads are hell to work on for months on end. I am honestly surprised I've managed to do 5 5/8ths of these games in three years, with other LPs occasionally taking up my time (I still think Agarest War 2 is my favorite LP so far. Not everything worked out how I would have liked it to, but it was a lot of fun to work on and didn't take up that much time in comparison to the Atelier threads), not to mention all the games I've played just this year.

I don't know what my next thread is going to be, I haven't given it that much thought. But this thread I think will be the end of an era for me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't blame you dude. These games probably rule but indeed they don't lend themselves well to LPs. Unlike poo poo like Agarest the games are neat, but they rarely do something particularly outlandish, most of the time it's just completing rote tasks for much of the game.
This game honestly feels even slower than the previous titles.

It's not your fault mind, this is part of the game's appeal after all.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I can understand how exhausting making these threads must be, and I'm so grateful to you for making them. I got introduced to a novel game series with interestings story and mechanics, and thanks to your LPs I have a basic understanding of how to play them too.

Thanks for the ride, Sylphid.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
It's a shame but I can understand your point, Sylphid. I would have played these games a long time ago but, as I've mentioned before, since I don't own a PS3 I simply have to wait out for PS4 versions of the Atelier games to be released.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: The Wrathful Side of the Great Spirit

The big step

What?

It sounds like there's been a development form their investigation.

What kind of development?

Central didn't know much about the eastern continent before... But after reading some of Solle's report on your investigation, they're interested in Faav Village.

Now?! What kinda timing... A little late, isn't it??

And I'm wondering why they found Faav Village interesting. The only things we found there were a village not affected as much by the Dusk, and an automaton they called their goddess...

Yeah, but... Government work has so many procedures... I'm sorry.

Oh, no! I'm not trying to blame you for this...

Anyway, the historians in Central are trying to come up with a new theory now.

Historians?

Yeah, research about the ties of past civilizations to the Dusk.

Wait a minute... Isn't the Dusk a natural phenomenon? Why would it be related to a civilization created by people?

Well that's... Er, probably...

You're saying the Dusk might not be natural?

Hmm... Shallie, do you remember when I told you about my time in Colseit?

About the Unexplored Ruins? Yes, I remember.

Well, the girl who sent the Unexplored Ruins into the sky was angry at humans for causing the death of plant life, but we couldn't really understand what she meant by that, and... I... Uh don't really know... We should ask Solle!

Water, water, everywhere?

Hehe! We're doing great!

That's good.

Solle, we heard there was a message from Central...

Yes. And it's related to the drought we're experiencing.

What did they say?

There wasn't any sign of drought in Faav Village yet, right?

Well, there wasn't exactly an abundance of water, but they weren't having any troubles, either.

That's what got Central's attention, honestly. There's a difference in the rate of Dusk expansion region to region. Knowing why may be the key to the cause.

How would we investigate that?

We could compare investigations of the water mangement here to the water sources in other areas.

You mean, if we can find more water in certain areas, it may help us find out why the water dries up in others?

That's what I think. If there's more water around Faav Village than Stellard, we might be able to prove there's something about the area around Stellard that makes it dry up faster.

And that could be helpful as evidence for the historians' new theory?

Yes. However, they're still working to verify. Don't get your hopes up.

But if it helps us with the drought even a little bit, then we need to do it.

Yeah, we need to do everything we can, no matter how small.

Well said...

No matter how small the detail, please keep track of everything.

We can do it! This could be a way to save Stera's village!

No, Lotte, not just my village... Stellard, too!

They seem to be having fun.

Stera and Lotte?

Sounds like they've finally grown up a bit.

Miruca said she found something really interesting in her notes from Central.

You mean from when she was a student?

Yeah. Miruca always keeps her notes around the atelier, but they always get lost until Miruca finds them again. She did say these were really important, though...

I still have that automaton from the Crystal Valley. Maybe we should take that to Albert before we go to Miruca's atelier.

Oh yeah! Good memory!

Wow, good work! Thanks to you, I truly am happy...!

But still, how long are you going to keep collecting these? What are you going to do with all of them?

This still isn't enough to make my dream a reality.

Are you planning to open an automaton shop or something?

O-Of course not! Why would you say something like that, Shallie!? Shallie, just so you know, that was a misunderstanding, okay!?

O-Okay...

I'm simply examining the construction and purposes of automatons, in order to complete a major thesis. It's troubling that you seem to think I only have an interest in their appearance.

I-I get it, Al...!

As long as you understand.

So if we happen to find an automaton shaped like a man, or an animal, or something weird, do you want it?

W-Well... Y-Yes. I do. I'll take it. But don't push yourselves. I'm sure this is hard work...

S-Sure... Um, can I ask you a question? What does Perriend think of your job?

Father? He...doesn't see value in my work, but I will convince him! With all the things you gather for me, though, I'm sure I can convince him! As long as you find more automatons, there's no way he can doubt me in the future!

I-I see...

Whoa! If we have this, wouldn't it solve all our problems?!

Yes! This is... Beyond amazing!

It's impossible... You can only make a little at once, and raw ingredients are required. You can't make it if you don't have them.

Uuu, so it's no good...

I guess nothing in the world is that easy...

Still, if you need small amounts of pure water for alchemy, this recipe could be really useful. If you want to take it, I don't mind.

Well, I guess we could use it for something...

Yes. Thank you, Miruca.

Don't mention it.

When I was exploring the forests south of Stellard with Miruca and master, I thought I saw some water. I guess we could start there...

There's not much water here, but being so close to the Dusk Sea, that's not much of a surprise.

To be honest, I'm surprised there's this much water this close.

Indeed...

It's kind of hard to believe, but I've heard rumors of a large amount of water existing in the Slag-filled ruins to the north of Stellard.

But wasn't that place pretty barren?

No, there was a lot of plant life there, too. It's worth investigating, at least.

Alright, I'll set a course.

Water. Shiny!

Clear water existing in a place like this...

Hunters. Always find. Amazing things!

You're right!

Music: Stella -3-

Music: Sweep -3-

The monsters here are stronger. We're going to need to be extra prepared if we're exploring in places like this.

What kind of place is this...?

Shallistera, Shallotte, can you remember any locations near Stellard with water?

Um...

Why don't we check near the entrance to the Slag ruins?

That's right nearby. We should check before we leave.

Wow! You have such a great memory!

Ahaha... That was nothing.

That makes three out of five potential water sources we need to investigate to get a clearer picture of the water situation. We should start around Faav Village next.

That's one of the dragons!

Indeed. This should be interesting...

The water source is barely breaking the surface, but it's definitely here. Maybe we should keep going from the other side of this cave. There could be a wellspring near here.

I didn't expect to see this...

Wow!! How could so much water be here...? I don't think I've ever seen so much water in my life!

So the Dusk definitely doesn't affect areas near Faav Village as much. I wonder why that is?

There's no doubt there's something in the area around Stellard that's causing at least the drought problems of the city. The question is...

What?

Let's take this out and get home.

The rogue alchemist

Alright then... What should we do?

There's something I want to ask.

What would that be?

I want you to figure out where Keithgriff went.

Keithgriff? ...Why?

He is, in fact, a Class 1 wanted criminal in Central...

What?!

Listen to the whole story.

Due to his contributions to the city water equipment, he's been guaranteed freedom in Stellard.

Uh, why is Keithgriff wanted?

He's wanted for the destruction of ancient relics. He's put alchemy research back for years.

But he's a skilled alchemist, isn't he?

Yes, that's why it's so hard to understand his crimes. However, the irresponsible destruction of ruins and relics under research is still a crime.

I kinda get it... But I kinda don't...

Regardless of his crimes, as long as he remains within this region, Central has no interest in pursuing him. Even if you do encounter him, it would probably not be wise to question him regarding his actions in Central.

You could say he's guaranteed freedom as long as he's useful for Central's research. But make no mistake, Keithgriff is a brilliant alchemist.

In any case, Keith is probably the man closest to knowing the truth behind the Dusk. Seeing as Central's decided to recognize his actions here, we can't miss this opportunity to get his cooperation.

Hm... But wouldn't Keith not want to work with Central?

I can't speak to Keith's motives, but neither of you are directly associated with Central. He would not likely find any issue working with you two as you continue your work. In fact, you two may be the only ones who can convince him to cooperate.

I guess we can ask Keith for help, but I don't know if he's someone we should rely on...

We need to do something about the drought. We'll use anything we can get.

I get what you're saying, but...

Even so, it can't hurt to ask, right?

Lotte, I think everyone wants to do something about the Dusk. The goals of Stellard and Central are finally coinciding and they're trying to cooperate, even just a little. Maybe we should be the ones to lead everyone by example.

I guess if you're going that far, we can try finding this rogue alchemist.

Thanks, Lotte! Solle, we'll go find Keithgriff.

Don't get too far ahead of yourselves.. There aren't even any clues to where he is.

You should ask at the Corporation... The chairman might know something.

Yes! Perriend, do you know where Keith is?

There's no way I would know that. I care about criminals' whereabouts as much as I care about Slag tears.

No way...

Maybe he's on the eastern continent?

Huh?

When Keithgriff visited the Corporation the other day, he hinted at an interest in the ruins around Faav Village.

Ruins? Around Faav Village?

Yes, he's studying the legends surrounding them. I'm sorry I don't know more than that.

No, that's alright! Thank you, Linca!

Let's go, Lotte!

So now we need to learn more about mysterious areas in the Dusk Sea and legends around Faav Village. Who would know a lot about those kinds of things?

Legends of the Dusk Sea

Yes. You've traveled to many places, so I thought you might know something.

The east was an unknown land for a long time... I don't know much about it.

Oh... That's right.

But I have heard some old sayings about it.

Like what?

That the Lord of Water spirits lives on the eastern continent.

...Wha?

Water spirits. We might not be able to see them, but they live everywhere there's water. And that's their Lord.

The Lord of Water spirits... I wonder if there's any relation to the Dusk...?

It's just a saying, I don't know if it's true.

Where on the eastern continent should we meet them?

No idea.

Hello Rosemia.

You seem... Busy.

Yeah, pretty busy. The officials from Central work people to the bone!

We travel to the east, and study water sources, and visit ruins... We're on the Dusk Sea a lot.

Oh... Well, if you have time for a break, do you want to hear an interesting story about the Dusk Sea?

A story?

Whoa... That sounds exciting!

Right?? The ruin is aptly named the Castle of Mirages.

Mirages... That's a strange name.

It's the name used by treasure hunters and adventurers, so it's no surprise.

Why's it named that way?

I don't understand...

It's said the Castle of Mirages is somewhere in the Dusk Sea, but no one knows exactly where. It's there, for sure. The ruins are like a dream, though, and nobody knows much about it.

How can you say it really exists, then?

Heheh... I wonder why. If you're interested, you should search for a place where you can get a wide, open view of the Dusk Sea.

Whaaa? Where's a high place where you can get a view like that?

Also, both of you.

Yes?

If you're having trouble, I recommend you listen carefully.

Wait, listen?

Yes. It's possible that a mysterious singing voice will help guide you...

A mysterious voice...

I'm not sure if we've heard anything like it, but it's still true there's a lot of the Dusk Sea we don't know about. Well, why don't we head toward Faav Village? Our investigation should start there.

To the place of destiny

What is it, master?

There's something I want to ask.

Ask...?

Mhmm, there's supposed to be a place called the Spirit's Altar on the eastern continent. It's north of Faav Village. Could you come with me?

I don't mind... But why?

I know you mentioned there's still plenty of water to the east, and I think it's because of that Lord of Water. They seem like they would know something about the water drying up in this town. What do you think?

It sounds plausible a Lord of Water would know a lot about water... Good thinking, Wilbell!

Ehehe! It's only natural.

But master, when did you do all this research?

When we went to the east, of course! As you were gathering information on the droughts, I was gathering information about spirits.

Oooh, that's pretty clever!

There's nothing to "Ooh" about. It's obvious. Anyway, let's get going.

Master! You seem really excited!

Why wouldn't I be?!

Yeah, true...

Lotte... You don't really seem like an apprentice.

Oh ho ho! It's so lively in here!

Oh, hello, Teo.

Sorry we're always barging onto the ship like this.

Haha, don't worry about it. So where're you going today?

The Spirit's Altar. We're going to meet the Lord of Water.

What? The Lord of Water?

Why are you so surprised, Teo...

It's said to be especially powerful, even compared to other Lord level spirits.

Is it really that strong...?

How do you know this, Teo?

When I was a child, Lugion Village was still trading with the east. The waters there were ruled by that Lord of Water.

I see, so stories about spirits aren't uncommon there, either.

No worries, people. I've already contracted with the Lord of Fire and the Lord of Wind.

What! You're crazy, master! How could you do all that?!

Huh, I didn't tell you? Oh well. I'll contract with the Lord of Water, too.

Alright, master! Let's hurry over!

R-Right!

It's nice to practice alchemy when we're just traveling on the Dusk Sea...

The power of dragons!? Wow!

This is so beautiful...

I had no idea there were still places like this in this world... Wait, what's wrong with that sheep?

Huh? Wrong?

It's over there now!

Get after it!

Ah! I was so close!

Fast prey!

Let's go!

What a strange creature...

Music: Sanctuary of Water

I can feel it. The spirits are getting stronger here. The altar should be close.

I've never met a spirit before... What are spirits like, Wilbell?

Well, spirits are like humans. They're all different. The Wind Lord I made a contract with was scary, but she was nice when I got a chance to talk to her. I was so young then... The Fire Lord was REALLY scary until she got something for her altar back, but then she was really helpful.

I see... Do you know anything about the Earth Lord?

I haven't heard anything about that. It should exist, but no one knows anything about it.

The landscape here is amazing. It's hard to believe these are natural.

Are you going to write this in your book too, Jurie?

You bet. This is something people haven't seen for a long time, if ever. If I could get people interested in exploring the Dusk Sea, who knows what's out there?

I know how you feel. I really wish I could fly and see it all, though...

Never say never

We're finally here!

...This is impossible.

Huh?

I... Can't handle this... This great power... Great anger...

The Lord of Water is nearby?

Just ahead... But we can't go any further. We have to go back... It's too dangerous.

You're giving up after coming this far?! Is that okay?!

I'm not stupid. Even I won't try to do something impossible.

That doesn't sound like you at all! You haven't even met the Lord of Water yet!

...What do you know, you aren't even a magician!

Yeah...!

Master! I finally found you!

...Shallie.

Why did you just leave like that? I was so surprised! The Spirits' Altar sure is a crazy place, though... It really felt like a place you can see spirits! Oh right...

Master?

Do you know how to contract with a spirit?

...No. Is there some sort of... Really difficult incantation?

Heh...I wish it was that easy. No, you show them your true strength. As in, prove to them you're stronger.

That sounds... Violent.

You could say it's the capacity for your whole self.

Capacity...

Sorry. I'm actually kinda scared... I've never seen a spirit with so much power before. I got overwhelmed before even meeting it... I lost before it began. I know I don't act that serious... But I've got a lot of training in magic, at least. But... This difference is too much. I am a weakling... Could never contract with the Lord of Water...

Master...

Huh?

I know you're not really one to give up that easily. I'm sure you know from your own experience that you won't be able to beat the Lord of Water. I can't understand myself like that... I get carried away and fail, and end up running away. And I do it over and over again.

Shallie...

But I finally understand lately. One step at a time. I started by being a trash picker, and then learned alchemy, and now I'm all the way over on the eastern continent. It's amazing... I never would've thought I could do this just a short while ago. Though I still don't get it. I still don't know anything about myself... But I'm learning.

What are you talking about...? That doesn't make any sense.

Sorry! But you seem to understand yourself, master. You understand yourself, and that you won't be able to stand up to the Lord of Water. That is the right choice. You don't have to do it now. You can contract with the Lord of Water any time. You just need to take it one step at a time, get stronger, and try again.

...Why are you only serious at a time like this?

...I'm not serious all the time?

Not... At all.

...Whaaaattt?

Whatever, I get it.

Master?

I actually don't understand myself at all, either. I was just scared by the Lord of Water's presence and tried to run away.

...Shallotte. Will you come with me?

...Yes!

Maelstrom

Music: Darkness of Oblivion

Please be careful, Wilbell!

I'm fine, leave this to me.

Leave this place.

...Please. Oh Lord of Water, lend me your strength!

The power of water. The source of life. You are foolish to seek such power, human. Your greed pollutes all that is pure. You know only selfish desire. Thirst, struggle, until you wither and die.

...!

Master!

Music: Kawaki no Rinkaku

Huh?!

Wilbell!

Master! ...Wilbell...!

The contract is complete.

Everything is clogged, getting dirty and polluted... Rotting... Drying out? ...Is this inside of the earth?

Master?

Really?!

Yeah, thanks to you. You really helped out!

I... I didn't do much.

Wilbell... Are you okay?

Yeah. Sorry about running off before. Are you tired of me now?

No way!

I see... That's good. Thanks. But more importantly, there's something that's worrying me...

What is it?

Just now... I saw the Lord of Water's memories... They have to do with the water on this continent.

Memories of water...?!

Yes. It could be helpful in finding the cause of the droughts or the Dusk.

Really?!

Yes. I... I want to stop the Dusk. After seeing the Lord of Water's memories... I NEED to stop it. ...But I don't know what to do.

Master...

Oh and Shallotte!

What?

Am I still your master?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 3, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow that dragon dropped nothing.

I hope they're not gearing up for another HUMANS DONE hosed EVERYTHING twist. I know climate change is topical, but god it's getting old.
Solle's animations are fantastic though :3:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What does rain of anger even do? She used it a couple times but I didn't see any messages pop up.

The water effect on the screen was pretty cool near the end of the battle though.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
That was a sweet interlude with teacher and student.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bonus Update 3

Artwork

Reconciliation
Collapsed Mother
Memories of School

Harbor
City workshop (2 types)
Land of the Dead
Drifting Ghost Ship

Kortes A
Kortes B
Wilbell A
Wilbell B
Wilbell C
Jurie A
Jurie B
Miruca A
Miruca B

Music

Red Light
This was the first theme composed for the entire game. It's been used in both previews and commercials, and I think it's the most memorable track. (Asano)

It is a surprisingly good song for such a relatively small area of the game. For the first preview video for Shallie, you had this song and Those Who Challenge the Twilight.

Stop the Sand Dragon
Theme for the Sand Dragon's nest. The image is "You're about to fight a really strong enemy!" It's really fun to compose tracks for scenes where you're overcoming the odds. (Yanagawa)

Crystal Dance
The theme for a field that's glittering beautifully, but filled with powerful enemies. I made the latter half more exciting to try and show this. (Yanagawa)

Within the Feelings Left Behind
The oboe was played by Yuka. I always feel a little emotional at the end of a splendid performance. Maybe I've gone a little soft lately, because I find myself crying more often... (Asano)

Stella -2-
Normal battle theme for the middle part of Stera's story. The guitar was played by Shimizu. I really like the cool, quick arrangement. I also added the melody from the opening. (Asano)

Sweep -2-
A battle theme for Lotte after she grows a little bit. Some battles are this point should be long enough to reach the high point in the song. (Yanagawa)

Scorpio
This battle them has Toshinori Hiramatsu on guitar and Dani on bass. Tracks like this seem like something you'd hear when giant robots combine together! (Achiwa)

Flying Clouds, Drifting Haze
The guitar is played by Shimizu. I really enjoy titles like this. I guess I'm at the age where poetic phrases start to sound cool. (Asano)

The Warrior's Holiday
Theme for a guy with really solid abs. He might even be referred to as a brother by someone. I like "oniichan" and "niisama", but I think "nissan" is the best. Sorry. (Yanagawa)

Seeker's Tango
Congratulations Harry, for showing up in 3 games in a row! At first I thought about making this a samba, but I think a more refined track is more fitting of Harry. (Achiwa)

Mother's Wish
Theme for Nady. The oboe was played by Yuka. We first asked her to perform for the anime, but we liked her tunes so much that I asked her to perform again. Just wonderful (Yanagawa)

I guess Yuka must have just played the oboe for a song from the anime, because she has no obvious involvement in the anime's opening (song by Escha's Japanese VA, Rie Murakawa herself) or the ending (sung by Haruka Shimotsuki, who has also done songs for these games), or any of the songs from the anime's OST (which was done by Achiwa, Yanagawa, and Asano).

Droplets of Time
A grand piece. The Dusk series often has settings on a grand scale, so requests for these types of tracks are high. (Achiwa)

Blurring Sand
For heavy scenes. It's strange, playing touching tracks like this along with press conference videos seems to always make viewers think it was good. The power of music is immense. (Achiwa)

Good Night
Players of pinball and other games may feel this way as well, but jingles that let playeres know when a good thing happened are very important, so I compose them with care. (Achiwa)

Unlike in the games with time limits, where sleeping could help you pass days quickly, there is no reason whatsoever to sleep in this game. It's easy to forget you even can.

We'll Still Continue
I believe jingles are the basis of game music. At the dawn of video games, there were few real BGMs, mostly jingles and fanfares. (Achiwa)

News
A jingle for when new allies join, and other events. I'm always asking Yanagawa for advice with jinglees like this. Thank you. (Asano)

FJ: Initiategram
Shallistera's victory theme. I keep in mind that with a finishing jingle, the moment you hear it you know you've already won. I'd prefer to just beat this back pain, though. (Asano)

FJ: Burning Flame
Lotte's finishing jingle. Yeah, it's pretty comedic. It would be a tragedy if you beat the final boss with this one. Although that light and fun feeling is one of Atelier's charms... (Yanagawa)

Although I've never done Lotte's killing blow Super Move on camera, I have off-camera, and thus, why it's here now. I'll do the same with Miruca's killing blow, as well.

FJ: Full Auto
Miruca's victory theme. Her V sign at the end is just too cute. Seriously, I don't know what to do about it! (Asano)

Miru iro no Hoshi (Olive Green Stars, Game Ver.)
The theme for the return of the hunting team. While it may have seemed like a wild dream, the two Shallies overcame great hardship, and start to become closer... This easygoing song is appropriate for such a scene. (Okamura)

Commentary for full version

This song is by Asako Nasu. She really is a fantastic pianist and singer. If you're interested, please visit one of her live events. I'd love to go myself, but I never have any time! (Okamura)

Koinegaufune (Ship of Hope, Game Ver.)
The theme for departing to the eastern continent. We asked Canoue, featuring the series familiar Shimotsuki on vocals, to perform this song. (Okamura)

Aquamarine (Game Ver.)
This song features Annabell on vocals, and Dani on guitar and bass. This is the humming version used as a BGM in the game. (Achiwa)

Aquamarine
This is the full version of the song. Stera and Lotte overcome their disagreements, begin to understand each other, and set off on a journey together. (Achiwa)

I really liked Annabel's songs in Ayesha and E&L, but not too big on this one. It's going for something different, but I dunno, just doesn't do as much for me.

Bonus Bonus
And for your approval, selections from the Atelier Escha & Logy artbook.

Atelier Escha & Logy artbook 1

Atelier Escha & Logy artbook 2

I'm really gonna miss Hidari after this game. Her art is cartoony and realistic, without going overboard in either direction. It's such an appealing style.

Atelier Escha & Logy artbook 3

So, for alternate character designs...

Escha: I wasn't real big on Escha's final design, so if I had to choose, either of the first three would be okay, with my probable choice going to the first rough design drawn.

Logy: a little tougher. I guess I'd have to go with closed white jacket, second from the right in the third row.

Awin: not a whole lot of great alternates here. I'd go with the second from the right in the first row if I had to choose.

Threia: some nice alternates for her. I'd go with the third from the left in the first row. It's a nice bunch of colors, but I liked her final design.

Reyfer: they were definitely going for at theme here, but black coat, black hat Reyfer in the second row is what I would choose.

Lucille: really not a whole lot of variance here. If I must choose, pink dress Lucille would be alright.

Linca: Linca's final design was really nice, so even though I would choose second from the left in the second row, I wasn't too broken up over how she ended up in the final game. Interestingly, they have briefly considered having Linca wield two swords.

Wilbell: her final design was good, but for the plucky witch, I'd go with first from the right in the second row.

Micie: blue coat would be okay.

Katla: her final design was fine, but her more mature-looking alternate costume there would be perfectly okay with me.

Atelier Escha & Logy artbook 4

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 17, 2015

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Wow that dragon dropped nothing.

I hope they're not gearing up for another HUMANS DONE hosed EVERYTHING twist. I know climate change is topical, but god it's getting old.
Solle's animations are fantastic though :3:
Isn't it basically the basis for the Dusk series, i.e the ancient Alchemists hosed up the world?

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Sylphid posted:

That was completely unexpected and bloody hilarious.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I finally got around to playing this, and the lack of a time limit is really helping me get to grips with the alchemy system. In Ayesha, I didn't understand what the hell I was doing and didn't want to craft because I didn't want to waste time, but I've slowly been learning what everything does in Shallie and it's great!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

Isn't it basically the basis for the Dusk series, i.e the ancient Alchemists hosed up the world?

It is, but you got the feeling that the world was sorta recovering from their gently caress up, it's just that certain failsafes were causing problems (Yggdrasil, Flameau, etc). Like they tried to make it right, and just managed to make the world recoverable but not prosperous.
Having the world go back to being hosed is just sorta :nallears: for me.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: The Illusory Side of the Floating Ruin

Um, well, if it's a question we can answer, sure.

It's quite simple... Oh, before that. Have you heard of a book titled "From the Wilderness"?

No... I've never heard of it.

Hmm, nope, can't say I have.

Oh dear! That won't do! I see I must give you this valuable book, for the sake of your intellectual development.

I-is this really okay!? If it's that valuable... Wait, the author is...

"From the Wilderness" by Harry Olson... Huh?

Yes, this is my very first literary work... It's influenced by many different fields of study.

(Looks like Harry does all kinds of things...)

Now now, there's no need for praise. I didn't write it to be lauded.

If I encounter any interesting events or phenomena in this region, I'd like to include them in my next book. That's why I wished to ask for your cooperation. If you encounter anything, please don't hesitate to contact me!

O-okay... We'll do that...

To the place of illusion

Oh, Shallies, hello. Perfect timing. I have information concerning Keith.

What?! Where is that geezer!?

Apparently they're ruins in the Dusk Sea called the Castle of Mirages, and he's headed there.

The Castle of Mirages...

I hear it's in the deep sea near the eastern continent. Maybe you should ask the people in Faav Village?

Got it! Thank you!

To tell the truth... I have a very compelling piece of information. Are you interested?

Um... I can't really say without knowing what it's about...

As you know, the city's water shortage is getting worse... But this could also be a great opportunity.

Opportunity...?

As the water shortage continues, more people will get desperate for water, and the price will rise. Don't you think it would be a good idea to stock up on water now and take advantage of that? It'll sell like crazy, even if the price is just a little higher than normal! Isn't that right?

Yeah... I think so!

Right!? Well then, we can take advantage of this new opportunity together!

Huh... What would you want us to do?

All you two need to do is collect water. I'd like to go myself, but I don't have the skills for that, and I can't leave my shop. If you go collect it, I can use my great skills as a merchant to sell it to everyone!

Hm...what do you think, Lotte?

I think we should do it. Katla needs the money, too...

Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. (It's true that the water supply is shrinking... This could also help the people of the city...) I understand, I'll help.

Alright, it's decided! I'll be waiting for you to bring the water!

So I guess Rose was telling the truth about the Castle of Mirages. Still, it's strange Keith found them before we did.

I wonder how long he's been working here in Stellard?

I never thought I'd hear of Keith again...

Whoa! You've met him before?

Yeah. When I was first starting my training as a witch, I met him a few times. That's also where I know Harry from, too. They were working out of the same town for a while, before Keith disappeared. I don't know when Harry left, but met him again in Colseit with Escha.

I see... What kind of person is Keith?

Well, you probably heard about him from Solle, but he's a really cranky guy who doesn't really like talking with people unless it's something he finds interesting. He's definitely smart, he's just really hard to work with sometimes.

But master, you're not an alchemist. Why would you know about Keith?

He worked with my alchemist friend from that time, and he seems to like her, at least. It doesn't seem like she's in Stellard, though...

Oh hello, you two. Speaking with you reminds me of my youth, it's quite moving.

How long have you worked here? For years, I only knew my village... I'm a little jealous.

Hmm, Harry's youth... I can't even imagine it. What did you do?

Yeees, I see...!

Harry!? What's wrong!?

Are you not feeling well...!?

No, quite the opposite! Sorry for worrying you. And thank you! For giving me such a splendid idea!

We didn't really do anything...

No, after hearing your question, I thought of an idea for the theme of my next book!

The theme? What do you mean?

The world must know how the man with all these qualities, Harry Olson, came to be! I could never express my gratitude for your aid in realizing this...!

N-No, don't worry about it!

Oh, of course! Once I complete this autobiography, I'll present it to you first. This I swear. I'll bet you can't wait!

I guess that does sound kind of interesting...

Yes, but probably not in the way he thinks.

...Probably.

We should probably ask around for any leads to the Castle of Mirages... I don't even know where to start...

Tower of plants

Mm? Oh, hello, ladies. We meet again!

Sure... Hi...

Um, Harry...? Do you know a man named Keithgriff?

You're searching for Keith? Why?

We have business... Wait. You know Keith??

I've never directly spoken to him, but I have seen him before. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him around here.

Hmm, I see...

More importantly, have you visited the Heaven's Vine?

Heaven's... No...?

What?! How have you not heard of it?!

It's to the south of the town, beyond the cove. You should go there! Now! Go!

Wait a second! We're looking for Keith!

It's okay, Lotte. We don't have any other clues, so we can at least take a look.

Whaaaa! ...You seem like you've slackened up a bit lately, Stera...

Heh... I decided to relax a little bit... Thanks to you, Lotte.

It seems like there could be treasure here, but I just can't see anything.

I guess traveling the Dusk Sea must have been more common in the past.

With the revival of trade routes, we could see more places like this in the future...

The long climb

Music: Sleeping Vines

This is the Heaven's Vine?! ... It's amazing!

Are we... Supposed to climb this?

I wonder how far it goes...

Probably to. End of sky.

Ugh.

Hey, hey.

What is it?

Is it okay if I just fly up?

The wonders of nature sure are amazing, huh Solle?

It's strange you would say that, Escha.

Why is that?

After your investigations back in Colseit, I thought you had seen almost everything.

There's still so many amazing places in the world, I won't be able to see them all. I would have never guessed there would be a plant reaching into the sky...

Castles in the sky

W-wait... I need some time to get used to the height... Eeek, I looked down!

Shal, weren't you saying before that you wanted to fly?

I-it's completely different to fly yourself, and to be in a really high place!

Huh...? Hey, what's that building?

...Jurie!

Yeah... That's probably the "Castle of Mirages".

Do you think Keithgriff is there?

How would we know?

You should check. It's up to you to discover things on your own. And if there's something you want, you need to reach out and grab it yourself. That's what it means to be a treasure hunter.

...Jurie, that is so cool!

...Sounds like random guesswork to me, leaving things to chance.

Wait, what's that over there?

Let's just keep moving through here.

No mistake about it. Check that out over there.

We've got this!

Yes! Now just one more dragon.

If I may ask, how did a village end up here?

This village was originally intended as a trading post between Stellard and Faav Village, to bypass the more dangerous route overland. However, with the expansion of the Dusk Sea, almost everyone moved away.

Except for. Homunculi!

Y-Yes, that's correct. How did you know?

Can sense. Homunculi!

Interesting... Anyway, there's not much here. Where are you headed?

To the Castle of Mirages. Have you...ever been there?

Oh that...? Wait, that's a legend, isn't it?

Huh? We saw it...

I've heard the legends too, but... You seriously saw it?

Yeah.

I can't say I ever have, and I come here a lot to trade with the homunculi. Well, good luck making it there.

Ancient alchemy

Music: Illusions Shown by the Coral

We finally made it... The Castle of Mirages. Hmm, it smells kind of familiar...

Apparently, this used to be an ocean. There're signs of water and seaweed scattered around from long ago.

This was underwater?! Wow... Was the ocean really that big?

It was probably a beautiful place... I'm curious to know what it looked like.

These ruins... May have originally been created using alchemy.

What? ...All of this?

Yeah... The floor and walls look a little familiar. It could be from a time period close to the alchemy I use.

The alchemy you use... Isn't that a new type?

Alchemy is all based off forgotten knowledge. The time when alchemy was flourishing lasted a long time. The alchemy you two use is close to the origin of alchemy, passed down through the ages. The alchemy I use was created after that era.

So what's the difference?

The alchemy I practice is easier to use, and designed for the general populace. That's why it's easier to learn. The alchemy you two use is greatly affected by natural talent, because it's much closer to pure alchemy.

I didn't know...

I hate to say it, but I don't have the natural talent you two have. That's why I decided to study this.

Still, it's not something that just anyone can learn by studying hard.

It's true! And you're helping us all out, Miruca!

Miruca, you're amazing. Everyone oughta know.

...Thanks, Jurie.

Oh wow! It's a Time Flower!

Whoa! Aren't these things super valuable?

I've never seen them before. We could make some incredible things with this. Let's be extra careful with it...

The Slags around here are especially violent. We should be very careful.

What amazing architecture...

It's so strange to find ruins like this. Ruins that are remains of ancient alchemy.

Yeah, I guess it's not surprising we're finding a lot of automatons around here. Still, this entire place doesn't feel real, you know?

Yeah... This still feels like a dream. Keith would definitely be interested in a place like this.

What kind of bomb is this...?

Oh no! The bridge is out!

There HAS to be a way across the gap.

Maybe the monsters have something to do with this?

That's it! The monsters are connected to the room. We just have to defeat all of them to create the bridge.

Thank goodness that's done. Let's keep going. We have to be near the top.

The Alchemist of Dusk

That's...!

Hmm... Why have you come to this place?

Ah, about my mom's illness... Thank you so much!

Illness...?

Yeah, it's related to what I asked before...

Oh, that. I see. I'm not a doctor, I haven't done anything worth your gratitude.

Still!

I'm sure you didn't come all this way just to chat. If you have business with me, be quick about it.

...We want you to lend us your strength, Keith.

For what?

You're investigating the Dusk, right? That's why you know so much about water sources and control equipment. We want you to investigate the droughts with us, and find the cause!

I have no interest in that. You should ask the government about your water sources and equipment.

But... Aren't the droughts related to the Dusk...?

I won't deny it. Droughts are just one of many surface phenomenon.

Still... There're so many people suffering because of it...

Do you know what this place is?

Um...

Well...

Well then, let me answer for you. It's an ancient alchemy ruin. Places like this, all across the world, are the clues to finding out the truth behind the Dusk. Each one of them tells their own story, but none are the whole truth. How can helping the city's water equipment assist with knowing that truth?

Doesn't it bother you people are suffering because of the Dusk?

Charity isn't my thing. I simply want to find the truth behind this world.

We just want to help the people suffering from the droughts! That's why we need your help!

How much good do you think one person can do to stop the Dusk?

But if anyone can help, it's you!

...You don't get it. Listen, if you want people to help you, you need some kind of incentive for them. If you can prove to me that helping you solve these droughts will help me find the truth... I might help you.

An incentive?

My studies have shown me that the droughts aren't directly causing it. And other regions, far away from here, have sufficient water. Of course, I can't say if it will always remain that way, but the rate of expansion of the Dusk indicates that droughts can't explain everything. There is a chance my conjecture is wrong... There's no hard evidence to assemble a theory behind it.

And that means...

Odelia, I'm returning to Stellard after I'm done here. I'd like some time to sort my findings.

Yes, sir.

Um...what if we have that proof now!?

Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Can you just come by Stera's atelier when we get back to Stellard!? I swear we'll have something to tell you then.

...Coming all this way is proof enough of your determination, though determination alone won't solve your problems. When you return to Stellard, send for me when you think you have the information that would interest me. Odelia, we're leaving now.

Yes sir.

Huh... What kind of information would Keithgriff find worthy...?

(The droughts... The disappearance of water... The creation of the Dusk Sea... Master?) ...

Lotte...?

Oh, sorry... I was just thinking...

About what?

It's no big deal... Remember when we talked about our dreams?

Yes. You said you wanted to fly.

Yeah, but... That was wrong. I just didn't have anything better at the time. But now... I think I found my dream.

What...is this thing?

Let's find out!

Oh, that helps... Well, unless you have more places you want investigate, I think we can leave.

Yeah...

The deeds of ages past

The Lord of Water showed me that, at some point in the past, before the Dusk Sea, humans were fighting each other for a long time. They did something that angered the Lord of Water, and she got angry with humans after that.

These are the Lord of Water's memories?

Will they help?

Hmm, the information doesn't sound bad. Unfortunately, I can't contract with the spirits myself.

Keith, will this help you understand the Dusk?

The Castle of Mirages, the water sources nearby, the memories of the Lord of Water... I could form a theory now.

Theory?

Hmm... What did she do then?

Huh? Didn't it try to clean it?

Almost, but not quite. In order to protect herself, she hid the water.

It HID it? That's...

The cause of the drought.

So Teo was right. The Lord of Water DID create the Dusk Sea!

I wouldn't go that far just yet, but humans would certainly be left with the idea that she did. Of course, then the question becomes, what did humans do with the remaining water?

Woah! That means that, now that the Lord of Water is on our side, the drought will go away?

No. It still doesn't trust humans. All it did was form a contract with me. All the contract says is that she'll lend me some of her strength. There's no way she would listen to me if I asked her to fix the droughts!

Then... What should we do...?

You need to find out why the Lord of Water stopped trusting humans, and fix it.

Huh?

There may be a hint buried in the earth... You may find the deeds of humans hidden below.

What's that supposed to mean?

Does that mean... You'll lend us your strength?

Really?! Alright!!

Thank you, Keith!

I'd like to sort out the hypothesis I just came up with... Give me a little time. You could practice your alchemy while you wait.

We should let Solle know that Keith has decided to help us.

Yeah!

So close, yet so far away

Oh, there you are.

We heard there was a message from Central!

Yes, from their investigation. Apparently the cause of the droughts is underground in this area. The information you got on the water sources was extremely useful.

That's good!

Solle, what's underground?

We asked you here to find out.

Huh?! Us? But isn't this a really important, high-profile investigation?

Of course... And that's why we're asking you to do it. Nobody in this town knows more than you do.

Raoul...

Didn't you want a big job? This is perfect for you!

...Yeah. But I don't really care if it's a big job or not...

Are you kidding me? What changed?

I don't care about fame. The reason I took up alchemy and became Master Wilbell's apprentice... It was so other people would accept me... I wanted to find something I could do on my own... But I had an epiphany of sorts while watching Stera.

Me?

Yeah. You said your dream was to save your village, and become someone worthy of becoming the next chief. It sounds simple, but it's actually pretty difficult, right? I understand now what I want to do, and it's simple, too.

What do you want to do, Lotte?

Mm. That's so simple it's boring.

And that's totally fine! What I need to do right now is help save Stellard. I have to think about what I'll do after saving the city, though.

Wow, that sure does sound pretty heroic.

Hehe! Is there something wrong with that?

No, it's great! It sounds like a dream you'd think up.

I think so too... Lotte, you're so kind. I'm sure many people will be glad for your help.

Stop it...! You're embarrassing me... Anyway, we need to do everything we can for Stellard right now. Solle, what can we do?

The Union is using all its effort to find an entrance to the underground. Do you mind waiting for a little while?

An entrance?

Yes. The new theory says the droughts are caused by devices made by people. If that's the case, there should be an underground area people can enter. Maybe the device would be there... We're currently trying to find where the area could be, and how to get into it.

A human made device? Keithgriff said the same thing...

Really?

He said... The deeds of humans are buried underground.

Hmm... Raoul, mind if we call Keithgriff Hazeldine here?

Go ahead.

I'll have you two come back another day as well.

This was a lot of work. It's heavy, so even just carrying it is hard.

Thanks for that! Right, seeing how you've done the work, I should at least pay you for it.

Just 300 Cole? That's a little...

Don't worry! When I start selling, I'll make a ton of money and pay you a lot more! I'll keep the water at my shop. Wait until it all sells out!

*yawn* Oh, I'm sorry! Lotte, I'm kind of sleepy right now. Why don't we do some work tomorrow?

Sure, that sounds good. I have to stop by my house, anyway.

Very good, thanks to everyone. It seems like the medicine is working well.

Um, mom? There's something I want to ask, but... When Shallie brought you the medicine, did she seem different?

Different? ...No, she seemed like the cute Shallie I've always known.

I was actually fighting with Stera then... But she still came here for you...

I was so glad I forgot all about fighting, and made up with her. Am I just moody or something?

Of course not. Both you and your friend Shallie are true friends. That's why you were able to make amends.

Mom...

Okay... Thanks, mom!

Oh, Miruca came by earlier. She said she wanted to continue teaching you Imbuing. You should go over there.

Yeah... It's been a while since we've just hung out together.

Yes, I'm here to receive an item I requested from the Corporation.

And yet you've been loafing around here for a pretty long time.

N-No way... You're the one who offered me tea, Miruca.

Okay, enough arguing! And stop taking things so seriously!

...I'm not really.

Give me a break here. You should already know quite well that I have quite the delicate heart.

Would such a delicate person really say something like that...?

Shall... You say some good things sometimes.

Wait a second! Don't tell me you've forgotten how much you two used to make me cry...!

Ahaha, now that you mention it...

I remember. All you did was cry all the time. You were really gloomy.

Gah... That's not really the part I wanted you to remember...

Oh, but Miruca would always sit by your side while you were crying. I remember that too!

That's right! Miruca was so serious, even back then, but when I cried, she would become a little kinder. Maybe I should start crying whenever Miruca treats me coldly.

Th-That might be a good idea! Let's try it!

I-I think she might actually do it. That's kind of scary...

Huh? Weren't we talking about how kind Miruca really was?

Hahaha, were we? Anyway, talking to you like this makes me remember the past, and I feel better...

You're heir to the Perriend Corporation. You can't act like a kid forever.

Th-That's cold...

I'm just stating the truth.

Miruca's already a full-fledged alchemist, too... I guess I'm the only one who's still just playing around...

I'm not that great yet... I just wanted to be self-sufficient...

Everyone's growing up...

...Hey, are you two forgetting about me?

You should just stay the way you are now, Shallie.

Right. You're best like this, Shal.

Wh-What's that supposed to mean!?

Yeah, whenever we try to pass a certain point, it makes us walk around in circles... Is this some sort of curse...?!

Teo, do you have any ideas...?

I've heard a lot about sunken ghost ships on the Dusk Sea... They're filled with confusing illusions...

Is there a way to get rid of the illusions?

So if we make this, we can keep going? Thanks, Mr. Teokhuga!

You know so much, Teo...!

Whoa... This could take a while until we can make it...

Well, do you want to go around the town again? It will feel nice after we went through the Castle of Mirages and the Heaven's Vine...

Oh, yeah! I'm still kinda tired.

Heh heh! The stuff I found was pretty useful, right?

It wasn't just you, Shal. Don't let your head get too big.

She worked pretty hard. She kept saying it was for you.

There, see? Heh heh heh, you'd better be grateful!

Okay then. You really did help out. Thanks to you, my research is going well.

Are you studying the civilization from the past era?

Yeah, I get bored if I just Imbue things all the time. The past civilization had very advanced technology. I want to use that power here and now, as well.

Wow, that sounds awesome!

It's still just an empty theory at this point.

But it's still pretty hard to think that way normally. It's amazing that you keep such high ambitious goals all the time, Miruca.

No kidding! If I had your Imbuing skills, I'd probably be satisfied with just that.

Shal, you're just lacking in ambition. You can do things if you try... It's kind of a waste.

Really!? Well if you say so, maybe I'll try a little harder. Alright, starting today, my goal is to beat Miruca!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 6, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Four updates and a bonus is quite enough for one page, so no new updates until we're on page 6.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

So, knowing what I know now from playing the game, how do you choose what properties to apply to items? It can become a bit of a clusterfuck, especially when you're making high-quality items that can have a lot of inherent properties then you bump the property level up. I sometimes find myself just slapping on properties without really knowing why. Also, what's your current search equipment setup? Do you have any suggestions for good-quality MP regen items that aren't the Media Book or Dragon Cup?

Lastly, where the gently caress is that fire dragon, because I cannot find it anywhere and the map isn't ringing any bell,s haha!

Sorry for all the questions, btw,

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I take it the Castle of Mirages is our bonus dungeon?

And wow are we at the final boss already?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Roro posted:

So, knowing what I know now from playing the game, how do you choose what properties to apply to items? It can become a bit of a clusterfuck, especially when you're making high-quality items that can have a lot of inherent properties then you bump the property level up. I sometimes find myself just slapping on properties without really knowing why. Also, what's your current search equipment setup? Do you have any suggestions for good-quality MP regen items that aren't the Media Book or Dragon Cup?

Lastly, where the gently caress is that fire dragon, because I cannot find it anywhere and the map isn't ringing any bell,s haha!

Sorry for all the questions, btw,

Fire Dragon is at the first area of the Dusk Sea (same route I took to go to the Sand Dragon. You'll get a pop-up if you are in the correct area.

As for properties, properties to increase effect power, use count, or destructive power for attack items, healing effect up for healing items. It's not really necessary to fuss around with properties that much before you get to the end-game, anyway (after you get your final storyline task in Chapter 10). With the super properties you get at the end of the game, if you can finagle Auto Use (for the Elixir, which gives it infinite uses), that will pretty much invalidate all other healing items, especially if you have Automatic Activation 60%. Third property is completely up to you, but I went for an upgrade to speed. That's the Elixir I'm using for my Lotte run.

I don't really have any suggestions in place of the Dragon Cup or Media Book at this point in the game. The Media Book is valuable because it restores HP and MP in a group, which is pretty rare for an item you get in the early game. Before that, the Cleaning Aroma is a pretty poor man's solution to getting KO'd (though Miruca's Medical Shot is the best at this point in the game). However, the Dragon's Cup is a very strong, single-target healing item that can revive from KO and revive allies, which makes it vastly superior to the Aroma.

Also, Castle of Mirages is far from the last dungeon, or even the bonus dungeon. That won't open up for quite some time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah. I figured a teleporter to the entrance was a sign of an unusually long dungeon and these games save those for bonus events.

I just sorta didn't expect for our characters to get a bead on the cause of the Dusk already.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, given the Omelas quotient of the previous two games, I wonder if the automata are meant to be stand-ins for the Lord of Water somehow.

And also people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I really love reading these LPs, saw all of the previous ones on the archive and they were one of the things that made me get a SA account in the end
they don't really lend themselves well to discussion though, I think that's why there isn't a lot of posts and stuff, I'd bet there's always a fair amount of lurkers and people who wait for it to inevitably be archived though

• Locked thread