Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

You can do this in Fallout 4 as well though? Off the top of my head when Piper starts talking about how great the news and the truth is you can poo poo all over her dad's sacrifice by telling her he died for nothing. You don't have to agree with your companions about everything, at least from what conversations I've gotten so far.
two fallout 3 companions and a number of new vegas companions have "history points" during certain areas and sidequests where they outright talk to you about what happened or what they think of the area, none of this is in fallout 4

Bholder posted:

I thought we are talking about companion NPCs talking about the current events, not just simply talking to people in video games.

Although right now we are pretending F4's dialogue system is basically Heavy Rain's press X to Shaun and nothing else...

Considering many of them will always point you towards "that guy in a chequered suit", no that's not true. Unless you mean the random NPC banter in-between complaining about nuclear winter or the radio news which I'm pretty sure can be found in F4 as well.
from your posts i can only determine that you are in fact unable to read text on a screen. i'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked New Vegas a lot too, but I never felt the need to fellate it

New Vegas doesn't have jet packs

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you have the breadth of incriminating information when you arrive at the institute and your character doesn't even call out their lovely kid out on it nor can they tell a bunch of people that should know like piper and nick

What bothered me the most about meeting your son is how limp-wristed your admonishments of his behavior, few that they are, can be. The organization you are running is engaging in: contract killings, slavery, the systemic undermining of any attempts at self-organization by the land above-ground, and completely pointless involuntary human experimentation, so you can, what, grow more food paste and build bigger reactors and a larger servant caste?

and the best your character has to say to them beyond ':qq: You're Lying!' is a later line up on the roof of the CIT ruins about how everything in the world is science to him :effort: yeah that's going to really sway the career myopic undeground institute raised scientist.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jay Rust posted:

Well I mean it's more of a jump booster then a consistent jet pack, but it is still neat.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

this game is also missing a lot of Good Ideas from Fallout 3 as well, so it's not like only obsidian could do those things

quote:

gently caress

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Also X6 but meh.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

On the other hand, if I take Hancock up on the Prydwen he could at least pull me to the side and let me know that if I am going to get in bed with these assholes then he'll be splitting. Com'on, Beth

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

JawKnee posted:

And the best your character has to say to them beyond ':qq: You're Lying!' is a later line up on the roof of the CIT ruins about how everything in the world is science to him :effort: yeah that's going to really sway the career myopic undeground institute raised scientist.

I did at least enjoy a couple of the dialogues there being some deep cuts, that unfortunately don't really get you a lot but at least they were there.

You know, I spent all this time, thinking about what kind of man my son might grow up to be. I can't begin to tell you just how disappointed I am instead.

Something like that anyway.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I did at least enjoy a couple of the dialogues there being some deep cuts, that unfortunately don't really get you a lot but at least they were there.
"gently caress you and this garbage plot"
"also you were adopted"

Magmarashi posted:

On the other hand, if I take Hancock up on the Prydwen he could at least pull me to the side and let me know that if I am going to get in bed with these assholes then he'll be splitting. Com'on, Beth
i sent strong to the brotherhood hq and he was just chillin with bos guys saying the usual super mutant idle dialogue about how he wish there were some tin can men around to kill

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

two fallout 3 companions and a number of new vegas companions have "history points" during certain areas and sidequests where they outright talk to you about what happened or what they think of the area, none of this is in fallout 4

Ah, I see. I thought he just meant companion conversations in general.

Thought that reminds me of a funny oversight in New Vegas; when I went into Caesar's Camp with Arcade, he pulled me aside and asked if I was going crazy and actually gonna help the Legion. He said this after I had slaughtered every Legion member in Cottonwood and was blowing my way through their entire army. He should of asked if I was crazy enough to think I could actually fight my way too Caesar.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah, I see. I thought he just meant companion conversations in general.

Thought that reminds me of a funny oversight in New Vegas; when I went into Caesar's Camp with Arcade, he pulled me aside and asked if I was going crazy and actually gonna help the Legion. He said this after I had slaughtered every Legion member in Cottonwood and was blowing my way through their entire army. He should of asked if I was crazy enough to think I could actually fight my way too Caesar.

that's why you hang out with boone instead

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

New Vegas's story design and writing are rock loving solid. It's the rest of the game that is a bit of a mess.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

that's why you hang out with boone instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziZ4LjJalk

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boone is the most boring, mopey man in the Mojave and should never be taken out of his trex tower :colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Thumbs down you son of a bitch

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

New Vegas's story design and writing are rock loving solid. It's the rest of the game that is a bit of a mess.

Except anything related to the Legion...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He gets super angry when you take that stupid beret away from him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I cannot get mama murphy to sit back in her chair no matter how many times I hit her and now I'm pissed because it means I can't feed her enough drugs to kill her.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

Except anything related to the Legion...
i'm not sure you should be cherrypicking when you can't read

NecroMonster posted:

I cannot get mama murphy to sit back in her chair no matter how many times I hit her and now I'm pissed because it means I can't feed her enough drugs to kill her.
you should have had the foresight to not assign her to anything useful in sanctuary

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm not sure you should be cherrypicking when you can't read

you should have had the foresight to not assign her to anything useful in sanctuary

I didn't, she just started picking vegetables one day and now she just stands next to her loving chair.

I hate her.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Boone is the most boring, mopey man in the Mojave and should never be taken out of his trex tower :colbert:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the old world blues patch fixed a ton of stability issues on PC

the console versions still were pretty bad though since the engine is insistent on keeping a lot of poo poo into memory even when it shouldn't (rope kid went on about this a few times when asked about the ps3 port in particular)

there was an old world blues stability patch? cuz i played it on pc earlier this year and owb in particular was a dice roll whether or not fast travelling would end in a boot to desktop.

the rest of nv was relatively stable, though thats with third party mods that created redundant saves and fixed crash issues.

fo3, which i did not use mods with, would crash if i looked at the wrong place.

fo4 has been solid in comparison, i could count t crashes on one hand i think like

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yardbomb posted:

But really I wish he was more of anything but good lord does he begin to just fade into the scenery at a rapid pace.

Yeah, to me he's just "sad man in the funny hat who walks around Sanctuary".

There's a ghoul lady in my Sanctuary who was wearing cage armor and a yellow rain hat when she showed up, I gave her a job as my weapons merchant and I like her more than I could ever like Preston. She has way more personality to me than Preston, despite the fact that her personality is just "generic ghoul settler lady".

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Courier: C'mon Boone, I need you. I mean the war was twenty years ago.

Boone: In my mind, there's a war still going on.

Courier: Alright, what happened, Boone? What is it that you can't get over?

Boone: Bitter Springs, 2260. I was the best cook the NCR ever saw, slinging
hash for the Fighting 103rd. As we marched north, our supply lines were getting
thin. One day a couple of GIs found a crate, inside were six hundred pounds of
prime brahmin steak. At least it once was prime. The use by date was three weeks
past, but I was arrogant, I was brash, I thought if I used just the right
spices, cooked it long enough...

Courier: What happened?

Boone: I went too far. I over seasoned it. Men were keeling over all around
me. I can still hear the retching, the screaming. I sent sixteen of my own men
to the latrines that night. They were just boys.

Courier: Boone, you were a boy too. And it was war. It was a crazy time for
everyone.

Boone: Tell that to Bobby Colby. All that kid wanted to do was go home. Well
he went home alright, with a crater in his colon the size of a cutlet. Had to
sit him on a cork the eighteen-hour vertibird flight home!

Courier: Boone, now listen to me. Two hundred Novac singles need you. This is
your chance to make it all right again.

Boone: No. No, I'll never cook again! Never! Now get out of my house!! Get
out. Go.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, to me he's just "sad man in the funny hat who walks around Sanctuary".

There's a ghoul lady in my Sanctuary who was wearing cage armor and a yellow rain hat when she showed up, I gave her a job as my weapons merchant and I like her more than I could ever like Preston. She has way more personality to me than Preston, despite the fact that her personality is just "generic ghoul settler lady".

kill her and make Preston wear her clothes

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JawKnee posted:

kill her and make Preston wear her clothes

You take that back, right now. :mad:

I'd gladly kill all 15 of my other settlers in Sanctuary before I killed Ghoul in the Yellow Hat. But if she ever falls in battle I'll take up her yellow rain hat and wear it proudly.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Hancock shouldn't have to tell you that he's not down with fascist military dickholes. His entire character is basically the antithesis.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yeah but the Brotherhood totally kills Synths/Ghouls/Super Mutants on sight

*does nothing when the PC shows up with Strong, Nick, or Hancock*

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

So is there ever any reason to take light/ultralight over pocketed/deep-pocketed? I haven't checked them for every piece of armor but it seems like the +5/10 in capacity you get from the pockets are almost always greater than whatever you lose in weight from making the pieces lighter.

Also, do the lights on the laser sniper barrel actually mean anything?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

So is there ever any reason to take light/ultralight over pocketed/deep-pocketed? I haven't checked them for every piece of armor but it seems like the +5/10 in capacity you get from the pockets are almost always greater than whatever you lose in weight from making the pieces lighter.

extra AP and maybe it affects stealth?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Valentin posted:

1) you get bonus AP for ultralight

2) the lights mean it's a lovely loving mod that does only 1/4 damage by default and you have to wait 3 seconds to get it to charge to 100% damage, just use long barrel

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's actually interesting that Bethesda put in multiple factions that you have to choose between since otherwise they are pathologically terrified of the player not being able to do everything. Wanna take your Super Mutant pal to the Brotherhood of Steel's base? No problem! Don't worry about choosing a companion to romance, you can go with all of them! Hate newspapers or support news though, thats one decision that will haunt your character forever.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

JawKnee posted:

yeah but the Brotherhood totally kills Synths/Ghouls/Super Mutants on sight

*does nothing when the PC shows up with Strong, Nick, or Hancock*

They get really pissed off at you and question why you brought that thing along, but let's be honest, they know that you can take on the entirety of the BoS singlehanded, and they're not dumb enough to start poo poo with you.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yardbomb posted:

I was talking to a buddy earlier about assorted Fallout junk, we came to how Ulysses was gonna be a companion and all that in NV at first and how that woulda been pretty cool. I stopped for a minute and asked "You know, have we actually had any black companions in the 3D Fallouts?" before quickly going oh, well alright Preston exists I guess. Then he pointed out that there was also some BoS lady and Jericho maybe? :v:

Also X6 but meh.

But really I wish he was more of anything but good lord does he begin to just fade into the scenery at a rapid pace.

They should have made that black Railroad chick with the minigun a companion, it wouldn't even have been unbalanced because unupgraded miniguns suck rear end in Fallout 4

There was also that jaded merc/scavver guy in the russian bar, he could have been a decent companion because his whole thing was swapping stories about overcoming poo poo luck in the wasteland

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

They should have made that black Railroad chick with the minigun a companion, it wouldn't even have been unbalanced because unupgraded miniguns suck rear end in Fallout 4

There was also that jaded merc/scavver guy in the russian bar, he could have been a decent companion because his whole thing was swapping stories about overcoming poo poo luck in the wasteland

also he has the best house
seriously go to the hawthorne residence and you will see

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fereydun posted:

also he has the best house
seriously go to the hawthorne residence and you will see

ha, I never made the connection, cat house best house, although that wtf house with the fishing boat is pretty cool too

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Hancock shouldn't have to tell you that he's not down with fascist military dickholes. His entire character is basically the antithesis.

:cripes:

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Really neat bug on ps4 where preston garvey will no longer do any kind of dialogue outside of saying "hi", no prompt for him to join me or trade or anything. is there a fix for this or this just totally hosed up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Why are people vehemently defending Bethesda

I get if you are having fun playing this game, but why are we pretending there is any roleplaying aspect beyond "I am good shooting with this gun"

Am I in bizarro world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

You take that back, right now. :mad:

I'd gladly kill all 15 of my other settlers in Sanctuary before I killed Ghoul in the Yellow Hat. But if she ever falls in battle I'll take up her yellow rain hat and wear it proudly.

You better have brought The Ghoul in the Yellow Hat a Jangles the Moon Monkey and put it on her shop counter.

• Locked thread