Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

It's also worth remembering that Iowa has no qualms about changing their mind on a dime and, through the power of he who walks behind the rows, elevating someone from last to first place within a week of the caucus.

That is true. Probably no one is worth putting a big bet on at this point in Iowa. I am pretty bullish on Cruz overall. I have 100 shares with a basis of 23 for him winning the entire nomination. It looks like the Sanders winning any primary market corrected. I hope everyone bought when it was 80. I was OK with holding onto everything for 3 months to make 20, but when 10 of that came in a week, not sure I want to hold on for 2.75 months to make the last 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I would be wary about Cruz. Historically, every GOP primary election we hear how things are different and everyone is ready to unite behind a True Conservative. Well this time things may really be difderent--or they might not be.

Play the swings, not the holding game, basically.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
*And if you do play the swings be sure to play the side you would believe to win anyways, just in case you get stuck.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Necc0 posted:

*And if you do play the swings be sure to play the side you would believe to win anyways, just in case you get stuck.

Truth. Even if he doesn't win Cruz will rack up lots of southern super Tuesday states.

There are a bunch of NO Trump Indy runs at 92 right now. This should trade back up to the traditional 96-97 range by the end of the day.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Dec 8, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
NO on Trump winning any primary is pretty cheap right now. I think you could make a lot playing the swing after he loses Iowa.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

nachos posted:

NO on Trump winning any primary is pretty cheap right now. I think you could make a lot playing the swing after he loses Iowa.

IDN, YES looks pretty cheap to me at 67. Not saying that this is the absolute best price it will ever be, but it looks like really certain money. With 50+ races and the unpredictability of how the Republicans will do in thinly polled blue states with low GOP turnouts, and 6 solid months of Peak Trump predictions, NO looks highly speculative.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

nachos posted:

Keep in mind that even Ron Paul was able to secure delegates when he ran and Trump is massively popular in the south.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Whoa, Ben Carson just skyrocketed up the next to drop out market.

edit: Oh, well it appears people bought shares at 25, but now the best YES sell price is at 7 cents, so temporary inflation?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Whoa, Ben Carson just skyrocketed up the next to drop out market.

edit: Oh, well it appears people bought shares at 25, but now the best YES sell price is at 7 cents, so temporary inflation?

Apparently he canceled 343k worth of TV in Iowa and SC

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ah, that'd explain the bump - new markets out on whether Trump will run as Indy next year and if Obama will close the gunshow loophole by the end of the month which is an incredibly obvious no.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Is that something Obama can even do?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

Well, when you hate America and the Constitution as much as that guy there's just no telling. Why, he's not even a REAL American to start with. I know because I listen to AM radio.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Necc0 posted:

There's a proposal for what he can do that would effectively close it by redefining who counts as a dealer, but it's not clear it would survive a court challenge (which is why it hasn't happened). Question is if that would count for the market.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Crazy bet of the day: bought hundreds of shares of Yes for O'Malley polling @ 5% on Dec. 31. Couldn't resist at 6c a share.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Cruz to win Iowa seems crazy at 60, this early

I'm just scooping up Iowa Santorums and Huckabees and Carson for dirt cheap.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

District Selectman posted:

Cruz is overvalued and peaking too early.

Of those three you mentioned I think Carson is the best bargain. Not sure what this airtime buy cancellation is all about, but who can resist shares at 2-cents?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Carson and Cruz both overperform when polls screen for registered likely primary-goers. I think they're both a good pick, but Cruz is inflated at the moment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

District Selectman posted:

I'm maxed on No here. Probably bought into it too greedily and too deep, but I've got two months to see a turnaround.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cruz Nomination YES just shot up, was able to buy NOs at .70.

State Department Warning YES is finally swinging hard, looks like people realize we're in a perpetual state of fear forever.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm maxed on No here. Probably bought into it too greedily and too deep, but I've got two months to see a turnaround.

I'm maxed out on Cruz NO here as well. I had about a half-max bet when he was around 50, so if I can fill the other half at 40, I am in.

I have 2000+ shares of Carson now. He was a steal at 3

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I think I'm the only one who is bullish on Cruz.

The Trump indy market is still acting weird. From what I can gather, there was a USA today article that said the majority of his supporters would vote for him if he did do an independent run, and he tweeted it. If there is anything else then I'm missing it.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

There are a bunch of NO Trump Indy runs at 92 right now. This should trade back up to the traditional 96-97 range by the end of the day.

Bought in at 95 this week, need to rustle up some capital to buy at 90-92 and take it to the bank. There's no way he would go from R frontrunner to IND in the weeks.

:ohdear: is there? :ohdearsass:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The Trump indy market is still acting weird. From what I can gather, there was a USA today article that said the majority of his supporters would vote for him if he did do an independent run, and he tweeted it. If there is anything else then I'm missing it.

It was just a warning shot across the GOP bow. I'm guessing there were people who figured Trump had dropped that threat but he definitely hasn't.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

It was just a warning shot across the GOP bow. I'm guessing there were people who figured Trump had dropped that threat but he definitely hasn't.
It's insane how cheap this is. He gets off on negotiating and showing strength. He's a +13.8% favorite in the polls!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tomato Burger posted:

Bought in at 95 this week, need to rustle up some capital to buy at 90-92 and take it to the bank. There's no way he would go from R frontrunner to IND in the weeks.

:ohdear: is there? :ohdearsass:

Well under 1% chance, IMO.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I am extremely bullish on Cruz. He has two months to gently caress up Iowa or for the masses to jump to the next clown over. If he is winning or a strong second to Trump in Iowa on caucus night, he is the favorite to win the nom. He's now in the same conversation with Rubio, which was inconceivable to most people six months ago.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If you lock up significant money on a site that limits your overall action to take a not entirely sure bet when there will be 50 better bets before summer / Hillary is at 90, you are bad at this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Adar posted:

I am extremely bullish on Cruz. He has two months to gently caress up Iowa or for the masses to jump to the next clown over. If he is winning or a strong second to Trump in Iowa on caucus night, he is the favorite to win the nom. He's now in the same conversation with Rubio, which was inconceivable to most people six months ago.

Winning Iowa isn't worth as much as you're giving it credit for. Traditionally it has gone to crank candidates. This year could be different, but there are a huge number of R delegates in blue states. Cruz has a very uphill battle.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Cruz's problem is his brand doesn't sell in blue states. Uphill battle is the right way to describe what he'll face, even if he wins Iowa.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Peachstapler posted:

Cruz's problem is his brand doesn't sell in blue states. Uphill battle is the right way to describe what he'll face, even if he wins Iowa.

There aren't actually any blue states in the Republican primary. I think even the most liberal states in the general are at best purple in the Republican Primary.

Cruz is actually well positioned to win this thing now. If/when Trump falls most of his support goes to Cruz and he walks the line between establishment and insanity well enough to pull from pretty much every base other than the Paulites.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

There aren't actually any blue states in the Republican primary. I think even the most liberal states in the general are at best purple in the Republican Primary.

Cruz is actually well positioned to win this thing now. If/when Trump falls most of his support goes to Cruz and he walks the line between establishment and insanity well enough to pull from pretty much every base other than the Paulites.

I agree with half of this. The blue states actually have a lot of say in the republican primaries. There is some formula of how many delegates each state gets, and it is enhanced by having a republican governor and other elected officials, which helps states like Massachusetts. This helps the establishment candidate, especially in a normal year when there is an heir apparent surrounded by different flavors of wingnut.

That might still happen, except that the heir apparent was Jeb! and that is looking less and less likely. Rubio comes across as a light weight. The other governors have not gotten traction either.

If anything the normal situation is reversed where the wingnuts are able to consolidate behind a few canidates and the establishment is fragmented. Combined with a belief that the reason they lost to Obama is they didn't nominate a true believer, Cruz has a strong shot. Above 30% anyway.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Gyges posted:

My point is the general election blue states are overwhelmingly buying into a different brand of GOP candidates than the Iowas and South Carolinas, as the goon above me offered up in different words. Cruz will get pummeled in New Hampshire, and for that matter won't win any GOP primaries in New England. Probably not even PA, definitely not NJ, MD, or even VA (I own 100 NO shares of the latter). I'm of the firm opinion he's a bible belt flavor of the month and he better hope the parade lasts until February 1st.

edit: I don't know where Trump is headed but I concede Cruz would probably win South Carolina if Trump's support dwindled from fascism overload.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

This is wrong. Republicans from, say, New York are incredibly different from Republicans from a state like South Carolina. There is a reason Cruz has little traction in New Hampshire, and it isn't just spending/appearances. The same goes for Democrats.

A staunch conservative from Massachusetts might be considered a moderate in Mississippi. It's difficult to overstate the cultural differences between states.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Hill says Congress is pushing back the budget deadline to Dec 16th: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/262690-lawmakers-to-push-spending-deadline-to-dec-16

12/14 shutdown Nos still at 94c.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The Hill says Congress is pushing back the budget deadline to Dec 16th: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/262690-lawmakers-to-push-spending-deadline-to-dec-16

12/14 shutdown Nos still at 94c.

Trump indy run noes still at 92c as well. The time for milquetoast gains is now!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The blue state GOP that was radically different not very long ago is currently staying home. Trump has national leads in every state including the blue ones for a reason. If Cruz supplants him in Iowa and becomes the acceptable consensus candidate, it will be a two man race between him and Rubio and he will have 3 out of 4 states going into Super Tuesday (Nevada is pretty much a lock for him if those are the two options.)

If you think Trump is still dead, Cruz and Rubio are now very clearly the two people worth betting on. Maybe Christie if you think that debate performance matters, and I also put 2-10 pounds down on every viable 100-500/1 (meaning not Carson/Huckabee/Santorum) as insurance. Cruz is currently a really good bet, though. At 4/1, which is where he is on Betfair, the odds are likely 15% off.

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump indy run noes still at 92c as well. The time for milquetoast gains is now!

Hilldawg is at 89.8 or whatever; if you're gonna go milquetoast you should put it on the predictable megalomaniac, not the crazy one

Adar has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Dec 10, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

Hilldawg is at 89.8 or whatever; if you're gonna go milquetoast you should put it on the predictable megalomaniac, not the crazy one

For what, winning the nomination? That's going to take months to pay out, the Trump third party market will close in a few weeks.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
New gun control market

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Wanamingo posted:

For what, winning the nomination? That's going to take months to pay out, the Trump third party market will close in a few weeks.

Oh, it's a 12/31 deadline? Never mind what I said, free money. Except that you're locking up precious Iowa cash this month, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I thought it was 12/31/16 - turns out there are actually two Trump indy markets at the moment, be careful out there!

• Locked thread