Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's a good, cheap, newbie track bike? Something easy to work on. Friends have suggested something carbed from early 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't you already have an SV650? :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, but I'd prefer to keep it for the street.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

M42 posted:

What's a good, cheap, newbie track bike? Something easy to work on. Friends have suggested something carbed from early 2000.

I bought a 2003 ZX6R-636 for my first (and current) track bike. You can grab these and similar year CBRs for around 3k, at least where I am (Washington state). Depends on what cheap means to you.

It's been pretty good for me and I am nowhere near out riding it in its stock form, but now that I want to get into racing I wish I'd went and got a prepped bike to save me time and money. A good place to look is local race series forums. Up here it's WMRRA and OMRRA, tons of people selling well prepped race bikes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Another SV is probably going to be a popular recommendation. It's a solid platform for a trackbike, yet it's not going to scare you away from using the throttle like a supersport might. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, becoming proficient on an SV and then moving on (if you even end up wanting to) tends to be a better route for growth than starting on a 600 inline 4.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Second gen Ninja 250s make excellent cheap track bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd say it depends on what you like.

Buy an ex-race SV or one with emulators + rear shock and learn to ride.
If you want an i4 then you buy an 03-05 R6.
If you want a 600 but know you're going to end up wanting to make more power later on down the line you buy an 06+ GSXR750.
If you want a 600 but something different you buy an 09+ Daytona 675.
If you want a modded out SV you buy a Ducati 749 or 999.

Here's the annoying part about getting into track riding and buying a dedicated track bike - you're going to spend a lot of money. A lot.
I think doing it cheaply I was spending at least $400 for one trackday. On the expensive end... when I rode T-Hill with z3n it ended up costing me over a grand. Or when I blew the motor on the 675 it was a $2000 day. Or when I tumbled the GSXR750...

Oh, and the bug never leaves you.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 7, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I would think another SV would be good, and ideally you might find one that's already been set up as a track bike, cause it'll cost way less that what's put into it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Plus SPARES wooooo

e: Too bad you're on the wrong-coast
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488543
$3200

quote:

Up for sale is the THREE time class winning Suzuki SV650. Bike was ridden by Jason Catching to lap records at all AFM tracks. Comes with TWF GSXR cartridges in front forks,Penske double clicker shock,M4 full ti exhaust, Ohlins steering damper & GSXR bodywork painted in classic Catching Competition red/black scheme. Bike needs a battery and your ability to twist the F-ing throttle. Extra rear rim included in price. Possible delivery depending on location. Bike can be viewed on Catching Competion Facebook page for pics, or pm for pics. Percentage to BARF upon sale, thanks for looking.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 7, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Especially that list, blackmk4. I don't really know what the hell I want, so having multiple options helps. It's kind of a pipe dream at the moment, but having the bug will probably spur me into getting a better paying job if nothing else...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I'm trying to give your post in the other thread a good response but I'm real busy trying to convince my drunk friend IRL that guns are not evil :911: my bf and I are huge gun enthusiasts

I'm not 100% sure what I'm most interested in, offroad-wise, but I am planning for this bike to be a ~80% offroad Thing. Basically, I'll take it anywhere I can possibly challenge myself to. I'll find nearby stuff on Google maps and/or take it through the double/single tracks in the local state parks. I'd be super stoked to find some hills and see if the 250 (and my terrible dirt skills) can tackle them. I also need it to be street legal. I'd get a DRZ400S but because Reasons(TM) I have to buy new and I don't think it's worth it. I'll definitely get a DRZ400SM from craigslist at some point or another to braaap around on.

Gun and motorcycle cultures are equally terrible, and yet, here we are.

This honestly seems reasonable given the constraints you list, however, real dirtbikes are ~80 or so pounds lighter, and much nicer to flog around singletrack stuff. The lighter weight makes them much more comfortable to slide, but if you're fully committed to buying new, the CRF250L isn't a bad choice. If it were me, I'd be looking for a CRF150R for play, a WR250F for doing trails and stuff, with a plate on it. Depending on where you are, a plate might be super easy to come by. The problem that you run into is that street optimized and dirt optimized are 2 very different things, and splitting that difference is forever living with the worst of both worlds. I had no idea how people jumped bikes when I was jumping my DRZ, because the thing flew like a Caddy. My first ride on the WR250F was an experience, that ~80 pounds, better suspension, better frame, etc, all adds up to a huge difference.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd say it depends on what you like.

Buy an ex-race SV or one with emulators + rear shock and learn to ride.
If you want an i4 then you buy an 03-05 R6.
If you want a 600 but know you're going to end up wanting to make more power later on down the line you buy an 06+ GSXR750.
If you want a 600 but something different you buy an 09+ Daytona 675.
If you want a modded out SV you buy a Ducati 749 or 999.

Here's the annoying part about getting into track riding and buying a dedicated track bike - you're going to spend a lot of money. A lot.
I think doing it cheaply I was spending at least $400 for one trackday. On the expensive end... when I rode T-Hill with z3n it ended up costing me over a grand. Or when I blew the motor on the 675 it was a $2000 day. Or when I tumbled the GSXR750...

Oh, and the bug never leaves you.

All of these things pretty much true.

Also bonus that the SV saves you on tires.

And you need a truck.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

And you need a truck.

Aw yeeaahh. M42 goan be up in here like, "CA recommend me a truck". The answer is a Tacoma to save you time. Or you can get a full size van and hang a hammock inside to sleep in between track sessions. Bonus is it doubles as a house for when you want to pursue your traveling hobo lifestyle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Hemi with 40k miles on it. It's been at Dodge for the last three weeks - I took it there because I have a warranty on the loving thing that covers ERRAYTHING.

Long story short, it's still there because it wasn't the headgasket that they replaced, or the head, or the cyl 1 injector, or the ECU, or the wiring harness, or...

A+ would buy warranty again.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 8, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Hemi with 40k miles on it. It's been at Dodge for the last three weeks - I took it there because I have a warranty on the loving thing that covers ERRAYTHING.

Long story short, it's still there because it wasn't the headgasket that they replaced, or the head, or the cyl 1 injector, or the ECU, or the wiring harness, or...

A+ would buy warranty again.

loving hell, pin the tail on the diagnostic donkey much? :catstare:

Z3n posted:

And you need a truck.

Or a bus. :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Beta cross trainer? http://www.betamotor.com/en/enduro/bikes/xtrainer-2016

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Z3n posted:

Gun and motorcycle cultures are equally terrible, and yet, here we are.

This honestly seems reasonable given the constraints you list, however, real dirtbikes are ~80 or so pounds lighter, and much nicer to flog around singletrack stuff. The lighter weight makes them much more comfortable to slide, but if you're fully committed to buying new, the CRF250L isn't a bad choice. If it were me, I'd be looking for a CRF150R for play, a WR250F for doing trails and stuff, with a plate on it. Depending on where you are, a plate might be super easy to come by. The problem that you run into is that street optimized and dirt optimized are 2 very different things, and splitting that difference is forever living with the worst of both worlds. I had no idea how people jumped bikes when I was jumping my DRZ, because the thing flew like a Caddy. My first ride on the WR250F was an experience, that ~80 pounds, better suspension, better frame, etc, all adds up to a huge difference.

I'm not sure if I'd be okay with doing jumps, that's just asking for compound fractures. :smith: I think I'll be happy with the CRF250L. It's probably a decent bike to teach my bf how to ride, too. Interestingly enough, the CRF250L is just as heavy as the DRZ-400S, but according to reviews by Motorcycle magazine and /Drive, it carries the weight more nimbly.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Z3n posted:

And you need a truck.

No you don't. Unless you drive a Fiesta a single bike trailer can be towed by almost any car and everything else can be thrown in the back of the car.

But then to do it right you need a Transit with a sleeping bag in the back

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I'm not sure if I'd be okay with doing jumps, that's just asking for compound fractures. :smith: I think I'll be happy with the CRF250L. It's probably a decent bike to teach my bf how to ride, too. Interestingly enough, the CRF250L is just as heavy as the DRZ-400S, but according to reviews by Motorcycle magazine and /Drive, it carries the weight more nimbly.

Stop ignoring my awesome suggestions and get a tw200.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

The answer is a Tacoma to save you time

Everybody knows 2.5 long box Ranger, best Ranger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

No you don't. Unless you drive a Fiesta a single bike trailer can be towed by almost any car and everything else can be thrown in the back of the car.

But then to do it right you need a Transit with a sleeping bag in the back

I don't generally recommend off-road riding without a buddy, personally. Maybe I'm more risk averse than most, but you have a nasty crash in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and it'll be a long time before they find you.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

builds character posted:

Stop ignoring my awesome suggestions and get a tw200.

Sorry I keep ignoring your ~awesome posts~. One of my good friends has one at his farm, I've ridden one around a little dirt course, for a couple hours once. The impression I got was that sure, it was fun, but I don't think it would go more than like.. 50mph on the street; everyone goes like 70-80 on the two lanes here, especially {bro,hick}trucks. I don't doubt the capability off-road for my current skills, but that lack of power was a already concern with the 250. (re: 250 vs 400)

plus the Honda is wayyyyyy prettier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I ever move back to a place with snow, I'm buying a TW200 and sticking studded tires on it and commuting by motorcycle 365 days a year.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

If I ever move back to a place with snow, I'm buying a TW200 and sticking studded tires on it and commuting by motorcycle 365 days a year.

I wonder if the newer ones are FI, because that sounds fun. While I would be a bit miserable, my commute is like 1.5 miles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Everybody knows 2.5 long box Ranger, best Ranger.

:colbert:

She met her untimely demise a few years back.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 8, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
in its natural habitat

Best (and relatively inexpensive) motorcycle accessory.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I could see those fatass tires being very useful in the snow.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Got it a couple months ago

And as of last night I'm officially 2fast2furious

E: in my defense, I found that PCM programmer under my seat, and those PJs are very comfortable/were free.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 8, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Marxalot posted:

Got it a couple months ago

And as of last night I'm officially 2fast2furious

E: in my defense, I found that PCM programmer under my seat, and those PJs are very comfortable/were free.

Those things are actually incredibly useful, especially if you actually do any work to it.. Just be careful, you can only flash the ECU like 100 times or something before it shits the bed.

clutchpuck posted:

Best (and relatively inexpensive) motorcycle accessory.

You're goddamn right it is.
Any vehicle you can load a Goldwing into with a 6' board is okay in my book.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm thinking about getting back into riding after a four or five year hiatus. When I was a kid I used to ride flat track and a bit of motorcross on lil 2 strokes, eventually I did road bikes, starting on a ninja 250 and then got onto a DR650 for touring with my dad (the 250 was great for around town but couldn't handle the other stuff we were doing). I sold the DR and gave up riding for a while because I found I just didn't have the time to seek out the trails that were so much fun on the DR.

I'm thinking about getting another road bike for riding around town and maybe cruising the mountain roads around here, and I'm looking at either a street triple, a 690 duke or maybe an FZ-8n. Do you guys think any of these are too much bike given my previous experience and the fact that I've been on break for a few years?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Were you an accident waiting to happen before, or did you have a head on your shoulders? If it's the latter just take it easy until you get your groove back but neither of those bikes are deathwishes. Could always re-take the rider course, or do the intermediate one.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

clutchpuck posted:

Were you an accident waiting to happen before, or did you have a head on your shoulders? If it's the latter just take it easy until you get your groove back but neither of those bikes are deathwishes. Could always re-take the rider course, or do the intermediate one.

I'm generally a conservative guy, I can't recall any major "oh poo poo" moments except for the first time I took the 250 out in the pissing rain and locked it up doing an emergency stop (for a red light, but none the less). I didn't topple or anything but was pretty scary at the time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those things are actually incredibly useful, especially if you actually do any work to it.. Just be careful, you can only flash the ECU like 100 times or something before it shits the bed.

It idles better and the stupid 92mph* governor is gone. I'll see if the shitpile automatic transmission works better tomorrow.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Sorry I keep ignoring your ~awesome posts~. One of my good friends has one at his farm, I've ridden one around a little dirt course, for a couple hours once. The impression I got was that sure, it was fun, but I don't think it would go more than like.. 50mph on the street; everyone goes like 70-80 on the two lanes here, especially {bro,hick}trucks. I don't doubt the capability off-road for my current skills, but that lack of power was a already concern with the 250. (re: 250 vs 400)

plus the Honda is wayyyyyy prettier

I just want to live the dream of buying a tw200 vicariously through someone. :sigh:

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I could see those fatass tires being very useful in the snow.

What about a used husky FE350S?

I'm assuming financing is the issue with new vs. used, not something else and I'd think you could still get financing if you bought used through a dealership.

Actually, looking at the local husqvarna dealership you should at least ask them about this. http://www.mungenast.com/used/KTM/2010-KTM-530+XC-W+Sixdays-fef0989d0a0e0ae827064cd4734473cf.htm See if they'll let you test ride it!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

builds character posted:

I'm assuming financing is the issue with new vs. used, not something else and I'd think you could still get financing if you bought used through a dealership.

Actually, looking at the local husqvarna dealership you should at least ask them about this. http://www.mungenast.com/used/KTM/2010-KTM-530+XC-W+Sixdays-fef0989d0a0e0ae827064cd4734473cf.htm See if they'll let you test ride it!

Holy poo poo. I love you! I'm definitely calling them. Went into test ride the CRF today but didn't buy it today sooo. Will check that out!! Thanks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lol that thing is a monster beyond compare, just FYI!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Lol that thing is a monster beyond compare, just FYI!

nooooo poo poo. Please becareful if you get that thing Tactical Lesbian.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

nooooo poo poo. Please becareful if you get that thing Tactical Lesbian.

:getin:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey dudes -
Background: I am doing some research on picking up a bike, because I can only park one car at my unit (boo-hoo) and my fiancé needs to use it as of January. I am looking at a bike like the Kawasaki Z300/Ninja 300/CBR300/CBR500 (you get the idea), to pick up new. I've ridden dirt bikes since I was about 13 (and have had my motorbike licence since I was around 19) so I am not unfamiliar with riding a bike and the basics of riding on the road (don't do it very often).
Question: I basically want to know -
(a) what would be an approximate fuel average (I guess I could google this, but IMO manufacturers claims mean little)
(b) how often would one service a bike like any of the above (I'm only familiar with dirtbikes, which are a whole different ballgame) need to be serviced?
(c) How long would they run for?

TIA!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Holy poo poo. I love you! I'm definitely calling them. Went into test ride the CRF today but didn't buy it today sooo. Will check that out!! Thanks.

Haha, seriously, this is a really bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Guni posted:

Hey dudes -
Background: I am doing some research on picking up a bike, because I can only park one car at my unit (boo-hoo) and my fiancé needs to use it as of January. I am looking at a bike like the Kawasaki Z300/Ninja 300/CBR300/CBR500 (you get the idea), to pick up new. I've ridden dirt bikes since I was about 13 (and have had my motorbike licence since I was around 19) so I am not unfamiliar with riding a bike and the basics of riding on the road (don't do it very often).
Question: I basically want to know -
(a) what would be an approximate fuel average (I guess I could google this, but IMO manufacturers claims mean little)
(b) how often would one service a bike like any of the above (I'm only familiar with dirtbikes, which are a whole different ballgame) need to be serviced?
(c) How long would they run for?

TIA!

a) Find your potential model on Fuelly and take an average of the results there. Note that driving style also affects this abit. My 600cc transalp has an average on that site at 47mpg, but as I drive it, it sits at 52mpg.
b) just google "bike model" service interval. most road bikes are atleast 7500 miles for normal service, with valve adjustment or similar bigger items either at 7500/12000/20000. The more horses pr cc/#valves/#cylinders usually either shortens the service interval or makes it a lot more complicated to do yourself. If it's a new bike you'll probably want a shop to do the services anyway to keep the warranty hassle free.
c) It really depends on the model, the maturity of the engine design and proper servicing. Usually the more high strung the engine is with hp pr cc it will last shorter before it has something mayor has to be done to keep it going. With older engines/models that has been on the market for some years the "fun" failures has already been found.