Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know how to trigger elma's second heart to heart quest?

I'm at night, she's not in the party, I did the first heart to heart, and I'm at 3+ hearts with her, so I should have enough affinity and meet the requirements. it says something about a cat though, do I need a cat? How do I get one?

Side question: how the gently caress do I tell what I've explored or not explored for vistas/locations?

edit: to unlock the cat or dog, you need to do gwin's first affinity mission. Guess I'm gonna have to grind up with him in the party.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was looking up something and came across a GameFAQs poll asking who the sexiest female NPC was.

#2 was Lin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Wow, the Tatsu looks like food "jokes" got tired a few hours ago

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was looking up something and came across a GameFAQs poll asking who the sexiest female NPC was.

#2 was Lin

Well that makes sense since the average user of GAMEFAQS is 13.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone know how to trigger elma's second heart to heart quest?

I'm at night, she's not in the party, I did the first heart to heart, and I'm at 3+ hearts with her, so I should have enough affinity and meet the requirements. it says something about a cat though, do I need a cat? How do I get one?

Side question: how the gently caress do I tell what I've explored or not explored for vistas/locations?

edit: to unlock the cat or dog, you need to do gwin's first affinity mission. Guess I'm gonna have to grind up with him in the party.

After you do the Gwin mission you can accept animal rescue quests from the Mission Control board then set them as a pet in your barracks. If you haven't done any of that though then Elma shouldn't be spawning there. Since you've heard about her petting the cat, that point should be marked on the map on your GamePad, it should be next to the water purification plant in the Residential District so tap that and it should say whether it's her second or third heart to heart. But I think her second one actually has her spawn on the west side of the Commercial District.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:toot:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

look at this nerd

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

#2 was Lin

well don't leave us hanging here. who was #1??

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really like the recruitment quests so far. Hope's was a bit of a hike, but getting to see Syvalum and Cauldros was totally worth it. Everywhere looks amazing. Alexa's was pretty fun, too. Both of the girls are pretty cool.

I also have HB, but he didn't really stand out, just kind of a prick. Hopefully the rest of the recruits are better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inflammatory posted:

well don't leave us hanging here. who was #1??

tatsu

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

He does look good enough to eat.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Waiting for it to rain so I can kill some random enemy dude, this is tight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JackDarko posted:

Waiting for it to rain so I can kill some random enemy dude, this is tight.

You can just re-fast travel to the same point, it re-rolls the weather each time.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
can anybody with the guide tell me if it lists heart to heart locations, and if so, where/when is phog's first one?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wow, the Tatsu looks like food "jokes" got tired a few hours ago

the first one was kinda cute because he really does look like a space potato but then they just keep happening literally every time he's on screen and i just wanna dunk this dude in the silent mire

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Echophonic posted:

I really like the recruitment quests so far. Hope's was a bit of a hike, but getting to see Syvalum and Cauldros was totally worth it. Everywhere looks amazing. Alexa's was pretty fun, too. Both of the girls are pretty cool.

I also have HB, but he didn't really stand out, just kind of a prick. Hopefully the rest of the recruits are better.

HB gets some decent development, I'd recommend doing his affinity missions.

Inflammatory posted:

can anybody with the guide tell me if it lists heart to heart locations, and if so, where/when is phog's first one?

I don't remember the time of day, I think afternoon, but Phog's first location is a weird one. Go to the Residential District where he usually hangs out then start moving to the unconstructed bridge to the Industrial District. Once near the bridge jump off all the way down to a platform sitting on the impact gel. Phog will be there being a loving weirdo.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Been grindin' a bit and discovered some things to share.
So the Armor augment for EXP +50% takes 5 Golden Jewels, and 5 Giant Jade Pearls and 1 Parhelion Platinum. the gold & jade can be bought with reward tickets. Pretty noticable EXP gain difference imo.
Anti-Insectoid augments for skell weapons take only 12 tatty insect wings and 4 marine rutiles, slam a bunch of those on a Lv. 30 skell and slap all thermal weapons (multi missiles, firecrackers, cannon,) and the heavy skell armor with +thermal damage, then go to the extreme north of Primordia and wreck those giant mantis things for lots of XP!

Here's your postcard from NLA.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dresh posted:

After you do the Gwin mission you can accept animal rescue quests from the Mission Control board then set them as a pet in your barracks.

Whoa hold on, you mean I can rescue a bunch of cats and dogs and have them around the base??? Where do I get Gwin's mission, just on the board? what's it called? can the cats climb the parked Skells?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

I'm kind of blown away by how good the world design is. Xenoblade Chronicles was pretty, but there wasn't much to exploring besides just running around, and there wasn't much danger aside from the occasional, easily-avoided superboss sitting around. I'd been expecting exploration to be a lot more interesting with the introduction of Skells and a jump worth a drat, but they went far beyond my expectations.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 9, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Whoa hold on, you mean I can rescue a bunch of cats and dogs and have them around the base??? Where do I get Gwin's mission, just on the board? what's it called? can the cats climb the parked Skells?

Nah, you swap them out one at a time in the Blade base. The cats hang out by Lin and Tatsu, I can't find the dog though. :(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I posted this a few pages back, but are there any easier methods of gaining affinity with playable characters than just doing board missions and fighting dudes?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I forget the name of the Gwin mission, but it's on the north side of the Commercial District, near the coffee alley. You can only have one pet at a time though, but yeah it hangs out and does animal things in the barracks. You don't see them wandering the city, but that's the implication when the party members hang out with them during heart to hearts.

E: Beaten, but

Saxophone posted:

I posted this a few pages back, but are there any easier methods of gaining affinity with playable characters than just doing board missions and fighting dudes?

Do normal missions around the city as well as affinity missions. Depending on your selections during dialog options you should trigger affinity boosts.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 9, 2015

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Some of the music in this game reminds me of the menu music for GG XRD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syfCv0T-VFc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zore posted:

Nah, you swap them out one at a time in the Blade base. The cats hang out by Lin and Tatsu, I can't find the dog though. :(

Dresh posted:

I forget the name of the Gwin mission, but it's on the north side of the Commercial District, near the coffee alley. You can only have one pet at a time though, but yeah it hangs out and does animal things in the barracks. You don't see them wandering the city, but that's the implication when the party members hang out with them during heart to hearts.

drat, I was hoping for cats crawling all over the place, but picking a favorite to keep is still good. I'll get looking once I finish chapter 5 then!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lastdancer posted:

As for the sqaushes, there is an upper portion to Oblivia, in the north of the region, where there is a huge lake. You can see the waterfalls flowing from it on the lower portion of the region. You'll want to head far to the east portion of the region to find a natural ramp that leads up into that area with the lake, and then wait for early morning. There will be a decent amount of crystals in the lake and surrounding areas, and they might be the 3 squashes you need.
I've been standing around Kings Lake for awhile trying to swim against those waterfalls before figuring out you probably meant something else. Spent the next 20-30 minutes climbing every hill laughing as spiders just teleported in to terrify the poo poo out of me and after I finally, finally found another lake I noticed it turned morning. I jumped into the water and got murdered by a bird that had gotten pissed off despite being non hostile a minute ago :v:

I'll uh, do this tomorrow.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
There's a much better spot for squashes actually, in the southern part of the Oblivian coast, around FN 317. Once you get to that probe, face west and jump onto the beach. Hug the walls, and behind a rocky formation, there's a small cave that's also a sightseeing point. Inside the cave there's an even more secret cave that has dozens of shinies.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I jumped into the water and got murdered by a bird that had gotten pissed off despite being non hostile a minute ago :v:

Some creatures aggro based on the time of day. There's quite a few aggro conditions, like Sylooths and other larger creatures having Skell aggro, grexes having human aggro, and certain indigens having pack aggro.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After ~30 hours, I've still yet to come across another species as bizarre as the giant birds with horns growing out of their faces.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where do I unlock these other points?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I unlock these other points?

Do you have the flight module yet? I just looked for the one closest to NLA after getting my Skell, but no dice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Motto posted:

Do you have the flight module yet? I just looked for the one closest to NLA after getting my Skell, but no dice.

I do not. I haven't even started chapter 7 yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After the one in the cave, I'm expecting there to be at least one or two data probes you'll absolutely need to fly in order to plant.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

I especially like the fact that you can kill yourself by jumping off of a low second story balcony in Witcher, yet you can jump off of a loving cliffside in this game and take zero damage. I've yet to take fall damage. I'm trying.

Oh! On a completely unrelated note, that "e-Pizza" $10 gift card you got if you preordered this game at Best Buy is just a Mastercard gift card that can be used anyplace that accepts Mastercard. They were really pushing that "for use at pizza establishments" bit, so I was a bit convinced it used some generated credit card number magic to prevent it from being used anyplace else. I dumped mine into the eShop because what else are you gonna spend just $10 on.

Motto posted:

After ~30 hours, I've still yet to come across another species as bizarre as the giant birds with horns growing out of their faces.

I ran into a pack of three of them doing some sort of totem pole/human centipede dance during an electromagnetic storm in Oblivia. Drugs are pretty frowned upon in Japan but what goes on behind closed doors... at Monolith...

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unavoidable fall damage is and always will be lame.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Motto posted:

After the one in the cave, I'm expecting there to be at least one or two data probes you'll absolutely need to fly in order to plant.

There are. There's at least one in Oblivia, on an island ssurrounded by bottomless pit. And I'm pretty sure there's one on a pillar somewhere in Primordia.

On the note of probes, I picked up a mission with the objective of making 70k in a single return, which sounds like a puzzle all of its own.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Motto posted:

not even the giant birds with testicles growing out of their chins?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

Do those testicles honk at me?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

Nutsack birds are my favorite creature so far, there's literally nothing else they could be interpreted as.

So majestic :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cicadas! posted:

Nutsack birds are my favorite creature so far, there's literally nothing else they could be interpreted as.

So majestic :allears:

I'm honestly impressed those didn't get caught in some kind of rating snafu. Took real balls to try and get that in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I'm fond of how pretty much every piece of scenery in Noctilum tries to eat you. Rocks? Yep. Flowers? Yep. Trees? Sure thing. Ruins in a lake? You bet it does. I'm pretty sure the only thing that hasn't tried is the cliffs, and I dunno how long that'll last.

• Locked thread