Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Ma-non. What the hell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I started this game yesterday after keeping it sealed wondering if I should've returned it, but all the pictures looked so great. I caved.
I only just arrived at what I assume is NLA. This is game is pretty and it's already really setting the mood with all the vistas. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saigyouji posted:

I'm fond of how pretty much every piece of scenery in Noctilum tries to eat you. Rocks? Yep. Flowers? Yep. Trees? Sure thing. Ruins in a lake? You bet it does. I'm pretty sure the only thing that hasn't tried is the cliffs, and I dunno how long that'll last.

Oh god the flowers. When I was traversing way deeper than I probably should've those flowers would scare the poo poo out of me, not because they were strong, they were just strong enough for me to defeat, but at one area there were these sorta big golden velociraptor sorta things and I kept worrying they'd aggro if they ran by our fight. Ended up just moving the gently caress away from any sort of plant whenever I ran.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

come out ghost post

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

I said come in! posted:

Looking forward to someone putting together a recommended probe placement guide.

Same, I don't want to figure this out myself or waste probes. Hasn't some nerd who played the japanese version already come up with the optimal placement maps yet?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Same, I don't want to figure this out myself or waste probes. Hasn't some nerd who played the japanese version already come up with the optimal placement maps yet?

You can't waste probes, they're not consumed on use.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Saigyouji posted:

Oh, maybe I'll work on this at work tomorrow then. My bad.

I just finished the lake mission for the water treatment lady. It's so cool seeing the city and other areas change over time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to question the game's color coding of enemy difficulty, considering purples and greens are supposed to be easy and yet are both higher level than I am and capable of one shotting anyone in my party, basically. I suppose having the correct resistance matters a hell of a lot?

Also it doesn't really matter now since I just cheated with reward tickets, but for getting energy tubes from puges in primordia, are there really only the four puges in the southeast in the entire zone?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

chumbler posted:

I have to question the game's color coding of enemy difficulty, considering purples and greens are supposed to be easy and yet are both higher level than I am and capable of one shotting anyone in my party, basically. I suppose having the correct resistance matters a hell of a lot?

Also it doesn't really matter now since I just cheated with reward tickets, but for getting energy tubes from puges in primordia, are there really only the four puges in the southeast in the entire zone?

They are "technically" "easy" in that colors afterwards are higher levels of "you're hosed", but as early as purple it means you're gonna have a bad time probably, while gray is the only truly easy color.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Saigyouji posted:

Really? That changes a lot for me actually, dang.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Spoilers for a character you can recruit in C8 or something.

http://i.imgur.com/nuriEl9.jpg

Ooooops.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man how the hell do you beat the tainted sphinx boss in ch.6? He just hoses me so utterly. Everyone in the party is in their low 20's, is that just too low a level or is their some hot trick I am missing here.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Evil Canadian posted:

Man how the hell do you beat the tainted sphinx boss in ch.6? He just hoses me so utterly. Everyone in the party is in their low 20's, is that just too low a level or is their some hot trick I am missing here.

Lose 3 times and the game will ask if you want the boss to go easy on you, there is no downside to saying "yes" to this option and it only lasts for the one fight.

Sorry I don't have some cool strategy for you on him or something, I just kinda steamrolled his dumb face because I go off and do a ton of side mission poo poo/fuckin around and end up 2strong for story stuff.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zombie Defiler posted:

Lose 3 times and the game will ask if you want the boss to go easy on you, there is no downside to saying "yes" to this option and it only lasts for the one fight.

Already lost more than 3 times and told that option to gently caress off cause I ain't accepting anime game handouts. Guess I am just too low level then.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Has anyone bothered to work out how effective Drifter with optimal cross class skills vs master classes is? Right now I have Astral Crusader with skills from galactic knight and full metal jaguar for extra damage and overdrive uptime. Drifter gains access to more skills, but do master classes provide stat boosts at all that are greater than Drifter?

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 9, 2015

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Evil Canadian posted:

Already lost more than 3 times and told that option to gently caress off cause I ain't accepting anime game handouts. Guess I am just too low level then.

You'll want to be at around the same level as the boss. I don't know how defense scaling works, but for same reason bosses don't seem to do as much damage when you're equal to their level.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can beat enemies way tougher than you with proper Arts, skills, augments, and Soul Voice configs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well that was a twist...

Chapter 5...

Huh...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well that was a twist...

Chapter 5...

Huh...

One thing I call bullshit on about that; if the Lifehold's power slowly depleting is a secret known only to Command and Squad Leaders, why the gently caress is it being shown on the side of the biggest building in town?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Evil Canadian posted:

Make sure all your arts are upgraded, skills are equipped on all your characters, skills are upgraded (first one is 2bp so almost a freebie to get level 2 skills) and make sure your soul voices are set. Kill monsters on your way in to build your TO so you can either overdrive or revive someone.

I beat him at level 23 on my third try when I realized I had 50 bp on my PC, Lin, and Elma, 300 on Lao (whoops), The third try wasn't exactly cake but it was a hell of a lot easier than the first two attempts.

Also, chapter 6 conclusion left me feeling like Elma is a total dick. She's so intent on hiding her mysterious secret back story that she'll let Lin and co waste time analyzing the alien mech without her possibly crucial help while the fate of humanity literally slips away second at a time. Just such a lovely thing to do. I realize that this kind of "slow drip mysterious back-story reveal" thing is par for the course with mecha anime but it still made me want to slap her and tell her to get her poo poo together.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Welp, I got the game yesterday then found out that one of my preferred JRPG names is the canon name for X ("Cross") and it's officially animu, now I weep

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Also I have discovered the correct way to play this game. Only use the mission computer for main story stuff (marked Social) and anything you can complete immediately. If you plan on going to a zone for story quests, grab what's in that zone but don't stress about it.

Then, just explore a LOT. Exploration in general is the best way to progress. You open up fast travel points, you get to know areas, you pick up tons of materials and samples which let you auto-complete quests, you level up, and you get to see the immensely beautiful world they put together. I went from enjoying to absolutely loving the game by letting my OCD for missions go and just exploring the game world.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I call bullshit on about that; if the Lifehold's power slowly depleting is a secret known only to Command and Squad Leaders, why the gently caress is it being shown on the side of the biggest building in town?

My assumption is that they weren't expecting it to be an issue before they crashed and don't want to try turning it off in case something breaks or people get even more suspicious. Although that is still stretching it quite a bit.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

My assumption is that they weren't expecting it to be an issue before they crashed and don't want to try turning it off in case something breaks or people get even more suspicious. Although that is still stretching it quite a bit.
Sometime after chapter 5 it stops being a secret. I'm mulling around doing sidequests after chapter 6 and one of the npc chatter things in the industrial district goes on about how they wish they didn't find out what the counter was about.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I unlock these other points?
Top Left is on the top of the cliffs and is generally a pain to get to, is also a Lv 5 Mechanic requirement. Top middle I can only assume is on that spire of land that would require the flight pack. Bottom middle may be on the very top of the large rock thing in that area. Top right is in a tiny cave about halfway up the mountain next to the lake and is a huge bitch to track down if you don't know where to look.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 9, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Darth TNT posted:

I started this game yesterday after keeping it sealed wondering if I should've returned it, but all the pictures looked so great. I caved.
I only just arrived at what I assume is NLA. This is game is pretty and it's already really setting the mood with all the vistas. :allears:

Strangely, NLA is the only part of the game that looks like utter PS2 poo poo to me. The faces I can deal with; it's an artistic style and all, but running around the residential and commercial district of NLA is a real blast from the past. The rest of the game looks immensely better. I'm in awe of the draw distance this game pulls off on the Wii U, even though I've run into some pretty nasty pop-up which is usually restricted to enemies (AKA the worst kind of pop-up.)

ghostinmyshell posted:

Don't worry about wasting probes, if you reset any given node to a basic node, you get that probe back. I'm sure there's some optimal setup once you've unlocked most/all of the nodes, but it's not really something to worry about -- in the end, you'll be pulling in tons of resources and money every half an hour, and at that point it's just up to you to make sure you're investing/using your miranium before you hit your storage cap.

Evil Canadian posted:

I think I was in my low 20's and don't recall it giving me any trouble. I think I had probably stockpiled 3000 TP for overdrive, then just made sure to optimize my attacks as best as possible. Related, as it was something I hadn't noticed until around this time, the skill bar at the bottom has a little notifier in the top right corner that tells you your orientation in relation to the boss (i.e. if you're behind a large enemy on foot, it'll say "Back / Low.") I just made sure to secondary stack my arts and use them in the right sequence in the right positioning. Other than that, make sure you've been using your battle points I suppose.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 9, 2015

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

bloodychill posted:

Only use the mission computer for main story stuff (marked Social) and anything you can complete immediately

What do you mean? Thanks for the ideas!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The story is kinda poo poo, but holy hell is this game amazing.

I don't think I've ever felt so immersed in a world before. They definitely took all the right decisions in their world building and story pacing (talking about not unlocking fly until late).

I added my name to the doc, how do I go around joining goons, should I just add everyone on the list then log in to a "friends only" squad? Or is there a more direct way?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SoulChicken posted:

What do you mean? Thanks for the ideas!

Don't take the Gathering missions because you get the items regardless if you have the mission in your log or not. You can just immediately accept and turn them in if you happen to have the items it requests.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
How's the translation so far? I've been keeping away since I heard that the translators basically just wrote over a bunch of the religious themes and references, which seems dumb since those have always been a part of the Xeno games, and that they put in a bunch of meme poo poo.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What causes Skell fuel to just randomly regenerate really fast even while you are using it ?

I feel like it might have been a certain weather type, but I regained about 3000 fuel in about 5 minutes real time while I was moving around then it just stopped all of a sudden.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm enjoying the combat in this game but am still pretty :psyduck: over most of the new mechanics. I'm really suprised they went for an MMO thing over a traditional JRPG. What benefits does being online/in a squad actually get you? Should i be worrying about putting auments on weapons and stuff right now or is that mostly an endgame thing like gems in the first one was?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

How's the translation so far? I've been keeping away since I heard that the translators basically just wrote over a bunch of the religious themes and references, which seems dumb since those have always been a part of the Xeno games, and that they put in a bunch of meme poo poo.
no they did not

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm enjoying the combat in this game but am still pretty :psyduck: over most of the new mechanics. I'm really suprised they went for an MMO thing over a traditional JRPG. What benefits does being online/in a squad actually get you? Should i be worrying about putting auments on weapons and stuff right now or is that mostly an endgame thing like gems in the first one was?

Reward tickets allow you to buy enemy material drops which is used for not only quests but to develop new gear and skells. And yes you should be using augments they're good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tobias Grant posted:

Whoever told you this was an idiot. 8-4 did the translation and they brought in people who worked on XG, XS1-3 and XBC to help out.

Sendo posted:

What causes Skell fuel to just randomly regenerate really fast even while you are using it ?

I feel like it might have been a certain weather type, but I regained about 3000 fuel in about 5 minutes real time while I was moving around then it just stopped all of a sudden.

Sylvalum has a weather that causes fuel up (you can hit + and see a jerry can icon). It's rad!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can reuse augments so just go for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got a decent pic of my guy.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sylvalum has a weather that causes fuel up (you can hit + and see a jerry can icon). It's rad!

Well this is neat, however I just found out you can refuel your Skell using miranium which is a great relief.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Why does the Water Purification Plant attract the darkest quests

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The translation is actually really, really good. The english is extremely natural, and there are memorable characters even down to the smallest food court store owners.

Whether you like the story is a different matter, but it sure as hell isn't because of the translation quality being bad, it's one of the better ones I've seen outside AO Smiths stuff. Plus you can explore the sandy asscave.

Echoing the endless compliments for the world, this game is stunning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

After the one in the cave, I'm expecting there to be at least one or two data probes you'll absolutely need to fly in order to plant.

This is correct, but there some I still cannot for the life of me find, or they require Mechanic 5 which I haven't been able to get yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The voice acting is really lacking, which is a big letdown because Xenoblade had amazing VAs but yeah, I haven't found any Engrish and zero memes.

At worst, Lin is just a regular 15 year old geeky girl. No memes, but some geeky behavior which is honestly charming and not annoying.

• Locked thread