Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckservative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

prefect posted:

two hundred thousand prongs, to be precise

they might have been armed with pitchforks or tridents

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they might have been armed with pitchforks or tridents

was that kind of body modification popular among the mongols? :ohdear:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

laserghost posted:

In 1218, Genghis Khan sent a trade mission to the state, but at the town of Otrar the governor, suspecting the Khan's ambassadors to be spies, confiscated their goods and executed them. Genghis Khan demanded reparations, which the Shah refused to pay. Genghis retaliated with a force of 200,000 men, launching a multi-pronged invasion.

brb, gonna go try this in King of Dragon Pass

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Among the images used in the film are of some of the hate-mail and [[death]] threats (including graffiti on Gainax's headquarters) as well as letters of praise sent to Anno.<ref name="death-threats">[http://www.tesuji.org/eoe_death_threats.txt "Death Threats Transcribed"] - (Detailed transcription of the letters appearing in ''The End of Evangelion'')</ref><ref>"Anno Hideaki allegedly created the two episodes contained here in response to death threats from fans dissatisfied with the original conclusion to his anime sci-fi saga." ''Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion'', M.L., ''[[Sight and Sound]]'', vol 13, issue 4, April 2003; pg 59</ref>

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

uhh so did he troll evangelion fans or not? this is all i care about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

uhh so did he troll evangelion fans or not? this is all i care about

the original ending of evangelion is a pile of metaphysical nonsense and avant-garde animation thrown together at the last minute because they had gone off script and starting making poo poo up as they went along. it's a real swerve compared to what came before so a lot of people were really, really angry that the ending was all weird and introspective instead of the giant robot showdown they were expecting

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

haveblue posted:

the original ending of evangelion is a pile of metaphysical nonsense and avant-garde animation thrown together at the last minute because they had gone off script and starting making poo poo up as they went along. it's a real swerve compared to what came before so a lot of people were really, really angry that the ending was all weird and introspective instead of the giant robot showdown they were expecting

and recently there was a project to get proper funding and basically redo the series according to the original script but it got stalled i think

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
However recent studies have show that the Retina actually juggles when processing information. In 2014, it was shown during research that the human eye could see at various frame rates varying from person to person. [10] In 2011, written on a forum was said that the retina takes about 5 to 12 milliseconds for an electrical impulse to fire and reset, 100 to 1000 rods depending on where in the retina you are, can fire every 7 milliseconds on average or around 140 fps.[11] Another website said that the human eye on average could see up to 150 fps. It is still unsettled on what the average "frame rate" of the human eye is, but so far based on recent studies within the last decade, show the human eye seeing anywhere between 75 to 150 fps with an average of about 140 fps.

11. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=895707

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc it's generally accepted that our consciousness "exists" with a constant "processing" delay of about 50-100ms, meaning we never actually experience the present

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

your brain rearranges sensory input to synchronize it, your present is cobbled together based on best guesses and processing delays

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

your inferior colliculus runs an echo cancelling algorithm that prevents you from discriminating close together sounds. your visual system is predicated on lies. look at your thumb at arm's length, that's the only part of your visual field you see in full color and definition. to compensate, your eye darts around to fill in a mosaic of temporally distinct afterimages and not the hyper hd 3000hz full field you thought.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

isnt deja vu basically just the brain accidentally storing something in memory before experiencing it?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

idk if its true but somebody told me once that deja vu is like your brain writing to the wrong hard drive sector. so your memories are out of order until you do a quick defrag or something? it is a computer analogy

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Among the images used in the film are of some of the hate-mail and [[death]] threats (including graffiti on Gainax's headquarters) as well as letters of praise sent to Anno.<ref name="death-threats">[http://www.tesuji.org/eoe_death_threats.txt "Death Threats Transcribed"] - (Detailed transcription of the letters appearing in ''The End of Evangelion'')</ref><ref>"Anno Hideaki allegedly created the two episodes contained here in response to death threats from fans dissatisfied with the original conclusion to his anime sci-fi saga." ''Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion'', M.L., ''[[Sight and Sound]]'', vol 13, issue 4, April 2003; pg 59</ref>

wikipedia ain't got nuthin' http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
this page isn't from wikipedia, but it should be: http://www.st-v-sw.net/Obsidian/January/torpedoes.htm

The torpedo most pervasively used by the Federation in Star Trek is the Photon Torpedo. The torpedo warhead consists of a total of 1.5kg of anti-matter plus 1.5kg of conventional matter, totalling 3kg of matter. The detonation thus consists of the violent annihilation of the matter by the anti-matter. From the famous Einstein equation we can deduce that the maximum possible yield of such a detonation is 2.7e17 Joules (64.4 megatons). We know that the weapon is not 100% efficient, and that in fact the yield is closer to 48 megatons, but for this exercise (since we want to give Star Trek every advantage) we will use the theoretical yield of 64.4 megatons.
The most widely used torpedo in Star Wars is the Proton Torpedo. Others include various Concussion torpedoes. Although the yield of proton torpedoes are unknown, the figures generally bandied about range from 1 kiloton to 100 kilotons, with a few interpretations claiming five to ten megatons. According to Curtis Saxton all descriptions of proton torpedoes indicate that it is a fusion device. The smallest fusion detonation that modern technology can hope to induce would be of the order of 100 kilotons, and it would take significant scientific techniques of which we are unaware to make the detonation any smaller than that. However, in the inetersts of making an absolutely fair comparison I will use the MINIMUM claimed figure of 1 kiloton.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

prefect posted:

this page isn't from wikipedia, but it should be: http://www.st-v-sw.net/Obsidian/January/torpedoes.htm

The torpedo most pervasively used by the Federation in Star Trek is the Photon Torpedo. The torpedo warhead consists of a total of 1.5kg of anti-matter plus 1.5kg of conventional matter, totalling 3kg of matter. The detonation thus consists of the violent annihilation of the matter by the anti-matter. From the famous Einstein equation we can deduce that the maximum possible yield of such a detonation is 2.7e17 Joules (64.4 megatons). We know that the weapon is not 100% efficient, and that in fact the yield is closer to 48 megatons, but for this exercise (since we want to give Star Trek every advantage) we will use the theoretical yield of 64.4 megatons.
The most widely used torpedo in Star Wars is the Proton Torpedo. Others include various Concussion torpedoes. Although the yield of proton torpedoes are unknown, the figures generally bandied about range from 1 kiloton to 100 kilotons, with a few interpretations claiming five to ten megatons. According to Curtis Saxton all descriptions of proton torpedoes indicate that it is a fusion device. The smallest fusion detonation that modern technology can hope to induce would be of the order of 100 kilotons, and it would take significant scientific techniques of which we are unaware to make the detonation any smaller than that. However, in the inetersts of making an absolutely fair comparison I will use the MINIMUM claimed figure of 1 kiloton.

lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

that guy really loves EMPHASIZING trivial poo poo. i don't "understand"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

prefect posted:

The torpedo warhead consists of a total of 1.5kg of anti-matter plus 1.5kg of conventional matter, totalling 3kg of matter.

-1.5 + 1.5 = 3

checks out

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

antimatter still has positive mass

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sweevo posted:

antimatter still has positive mass

yea but it still sounds weird to add it's mass to a total of "matter"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably should have used the word "payload" or something

fanwikis are cheating but the practice of fans deriving hard numbers from things that were not hard numbers to begin with is an endless rabbit hole

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 10, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it's really funny to me that they go with maximum sized star trek and minimum sized star wars

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

idk if its true but somebody told me once that deja vu is like your brain writing to the wrong hard drive sector. so your memories are out of order until you do a quick defrag or something? it is a computer analogy

computers and brains actually don't analogize as well as you would think. the way i heard it is that when you're exhausted, and the study i read about it in was on military aviators who'd been pushed to the limit, the time stamp on a new memory was set wrong and it seemed like something that just occurred should have happened in the past

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's really funny to me that they go with maximum sized star trek and minimum sized star wars

star trek fans are insecure as hell about their chosen space opera because star wars is mainstream while star trek is still dorky as poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

i have a dreadful feeling that i recognize the page prefect quoted that from, and iirc the guy is doing that because he's trying to make the "who would win, star trek or star wars" into something resembling a fair fight

it more or less broke down to
star trek: well the photon torpedo's antimatter warhead uses the total annihilation of --
star wars: yeah but the death star.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

syscall girl posted:

computers and brains actually don't analogize as well as you would think. the way i heard it is that when you're exhausted, and the study i read about it in was on military aviators who'd been pushed to the limit, the time stamp on a new memory was set wrong and it seemed like something that just occurred should have happened in the past

short-term memory and long-term memory are distinct in the brain, so maybe it's more like accidentally bypassing your cache during the memory I/O process

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
i remember reading somewhere that the designer of some star wars book that laid out the technical specifications of a bunch of ships specifically chose energy values so as to make it so the smallest, piddliest ship in the star wars universe could completely destroy the most powerful star trek ships

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

star wars also has magic, so

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

star wars also has magic, so

isn't q from star trek magical?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

true. i guess that's a good point -- star trek's q has ultimate bullshit DC comics magic and could just make the death star pop out of existence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

true. i guess that's a good point -- star trek's q has ultimate bullshit DC comics magic and could just make the death star pop out of existence.

:cawg: i was going to say something about mister mxyzptlk in comparison to q, but i didn't feel like looking up his name

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Features of the Modified ISA [edit]
  1. Head Position – Head is forward to indicate the forward motion of the person through space. Here the person is the "driver" or decision maker about their mobility.
  2. Arm Angle – Arm is pointing backward to suggest the dynamic mobility of a chair user, regardless of whether or not they use their arms. Depicting the body in motion represents the symbolically active status of navigating the world.
  3. Wheel Cutouts – By including white angled knockouts the symbol presents the wheel as being in motion. These knockouts also work for creating stencils used in spray paint application of the icon. Having just one version of the logo keeps things more consistent and allows viewers to more clearly understand intended message.
  4. Limb Rendition – The human depiction in this icon is consistent with other body representations found in the ISO 7001 – DOT Pictograms. Using a different portrayal of the human body would clash with these established and widely used icons and could lead to confusion.
  5. Leg Position – The leg has been moved forward to allow for more space between it and the wheel which allows for better readability and cleaner application of icon as a stencil.[13]

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
looks like a dude stole a wheelchair and is going to use it for a wicked sick jump

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

1. Head Position – Head is forward to indicate the forward motion of the person through space. Here the person is the "driver" or decision maker about their mobility.
  2. Arm Angle – Arm is pointing backward to suggest the dynamic mobility of a chair user, regardless of whether or not they use their arms. Depicting the body in motion represents the symbolically active status of navigating the world.
  3. Wheel Cutouts – By including white angled knockouts the symbol presents the wheel as being in motion. These knockouts also work for creating stencils used in spray paint application of the icon. Having just one version of the logo keeps things more consistent and allows viewers to more clearly understand intended message.
  4. Limb Rendition – The human depiction in this icon is consistent with other body representations found in the ISO 7001 – DOT Pictograms. Using a different portrayal of the human body would clash with these established and widely used icons and could lead to confusion.
  5. Leg Position – The leg has been moved forward to allow for more space between it and the wheel which allows for better readability and cleaner application of icon as a stencil.[13]

This is worthless because it has been outright rejected by ISO and US organizations, yet it still takes up most of the wikipedia article.

They should go back to the original design, before they added the head:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Space-Pope posted:

looks like a dude stole a wheelchair and is going to use it for a wicked sick jump

it actually looks like a grandpa broke a back and is about to fall over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's a crappy design, but not a bad concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

not every handicapped person is a murderball athlete