Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wrar posted:

Only real additional expense is USB-C cables.

Worth every penny to plug them in the right way every time without looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Dog, I don't think that joke works, dog.

E: http://youtu.be/NCFwvngf0GM?t=47s

I don't know, I think it worked exactly as he intended it to. :shrug:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God drat my apprentice is not meant to do construction work. Dude can barely lift 50lbs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I got a 2012 Tuono V4R w/akra & race map for less than $9,000 and it rules hard. Try one out if you're shopping. On your budget you could get one of the new ones with 1100cc and ABS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhlIKKJzkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaktJbu-DQ

My only scare with Aprillia is parts. Or lack thereof.

Motorcycle ADD is loving horrible.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Cakefool posted:

Worth every penny to plug them in the right way every time without looking
True.

I need to get another fast charger for work and one for the car for my 6P.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God drat my apprentice is not meant to do construction work. Dude can barely lift 50lbs.

says the man with the bad back. Take care of that poo poo, yo.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with 5 guys? Maybe I need to try it again.

My first and only experience was horrible. Will never eat there again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ssjonizuka posted:

says the man with the bad back. Take care of that poo poo, yo.

Doctor said I need a backiotomy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

El Jebus posted:

Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with 5 guys? Maybe I need to try it again.

Same.

It's not that they're bad, I just find their offerings to be utterly unremarkable in every way. There's nothing they do that you couldn't accomplish at home with some ground beef and a frying pan or griddle.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Same.

It's not that they're bad, I just find their offerings to be utterly unremarkable in every way. There's nothing they do that you couldn't accomplish at home with some ground beef and a frying pan or griddle.
I have yet to track down a burger joint that fries its burgers in bacon grease like I do at home. I make the best burgers I've ever had, and you can, too!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

Same.

You can say that about every single fast food place.

5 guys at least uses good quality beef but they need a better bun for the burgs...they end up so drat soft and mushy from all the juices and toppings.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geoj posted:

Same.

Yeah, I'm not trying to compare it to a homemade burger. That's... Just not fair to Five Guys or anyone else that isn't a serious gourmet burger maker.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I like backyard burger and culvers more than 5 guys.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That whole cost effectiveness thing is bunk when you see just how cheap a rotary can be - lets for the moment go with my RX-7 - I know quite well it wont work with a L98 motor in anything other than a straight line squirt and even then there is a loooooong list of chassis work I would have to do to make it work for any length of time and to have traction. The diff WILL break, the gear box will be smashed, the rear chassis will tear. I do none of that for a good 13B.

A T56 is not a drop in gearbox replacement and needs a lot more work than even a Supra steel case to fit. Ford 9" or 8.8" diffs are heavy and add considerably to unsprung weight, which is a killer on a Gen 1 and aren't a drop in either. How much plating and welding you handy with? You will have to reinforce the rear floorpan, the front towers greatly. You are losing on your time here or paying someone else to do it. So basically so far you have added a lot of weight in the wrong places for what? An ill mannered car (I do know the suspension problems a V8 causes :) )that only gets you smoke from the tyres? So for your time and money (remember, your time is NOT free / you pay someone else to do it) I'm already been using a well built car for some time and also been picking out the second set of upgrades to brakes and suspension with the cost you spent. I've spent a whooooole load less time and I would challenge that a V8 swapper would spend less money to get it even with US pricing rolling, especially without the diff and gearbox being in race to see who can deposit their contents onto the road first or wether the front or rear sheet metal tears first.

Basically, V8 swappers never account for the other huge changes they have to do and the time they sink to get the cars running (if they do at all). And they also never make up for the huge chassis engineering they have to do to even get their cars close to what made RX-7's desirable in the first place and they always get embarrassed when some smart arse that does know rotarys and the chassis smacks them silly around a track with a load less power. And I gotta say, it's hilarious when a V8 powered example has only just caught you at the end of a straight, then has to brake in desperation to haul all that weight back down to a speed capable to go around the next corner, then I'm laughing my rear end off as I dive down the inside and late brake the gently caress out of them, then disappear as the other car is struggling to get any meaningful power down. It wont happen again because their brakes wont last more than two laps, mine last the entire session as do my tyres.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but really, there are better cars to start with if you want a tyre frying V8 that will work without anywhere near the effort. I wouldnt drop a rotary into a Corvette and expect results (...well... I would just to troll like gently caress).

I will acknowledge that for all the disgust I have for V8 swappers into RX7's, the RX8 absolutly should never have had a NA 13B, it's just too bloody heavy.

Well, I won't argue that most people do tend to ignore all the peripheral parts and modifications. You're absolutely right, there.
I'm not sure how much of the reinforcement is actually necessary - I'm far from an expert. Particularly in the front. I did specify a truck LSx, but I don't believe the all-aluminum LSx weighs much more than a fully-dressed 13BT. Too lazy/not spergy enough to go look.
I won't argue about it wanting straight lines - you're going to get that with almost any stupid-horsepower-to-weight. And yeah, it probably wouldn't take too long to destroy the diff.
I will stand by the pricing though. Here in the US, V8s are dirt cheap and well understood, and rotaries are expensive voodoo. Not sure if there's still enough of a difference after accounting for all the additional crap necessary for a V8. I love them both. That said, my '79 will remain rotary. It's just that I have all these other non-running/engineless chassis...
They probably won't go V8 either. I have my Crown Vic and my '70 Olds Cutlass for my V8 fix. FWIW, the Olds will remain Olds-powered, too, not LSx. The CV is my daily, and still has to pass emissions, so it will likely keep its 4.6 as well, though an LSx Crown Vic would be hilarious.

Enourmo posted:

Corvette rotary swap with a Ford rear end just for that extra bit of salt in the wound.

I would love to see a C7 with a R26B 4-rotor and a big turbo(s).

Seat Safety Switch posted:

AI: I have three cars that don't run, so I'm getting rid of the two that do.

Madness? THIS. IS. A.I.!

Tomarse posted:

Every car club I have ever been involved with has had some old bastard rivet-counters in who won't accept anything non-original and bitch about any mods. I think the same sort of twat is found in every club.

Anybody saying 'V8/LS swaps are bad just because' is like one of those guys.

Its my car, I'll swap whatever I like into it and do whatever I want with it. My project, my choices and I don't give a poo poo if you don't like it.

Yeah, that "all-original" poo poo is only for rare or particularly special examples. There is so much better stuff out there that can be retrofitted/upgraded.etc. I have no interest is lovely manual drum brakes, an AM radio (but with optional rear speaker!), crappy lighting, etc. My Olds has gotten a better intake, cam, exhaust, power discs (will eventually be 4-wheel bigger discs), nice stereo, sound deadening, better springs and bushings... There is just so much that is better understood now, such as suspension geometry. I need to get the taller front spindles and tubular control arms to fix that. EFI, turbos, bigger wheels, low-profile rubber. No way am I sticking with original 14x6 wheels and skinny little bias plies. I want to drive this car!
I do still want to keep it Olds-powered, just because too many people cram a Chevy in there, but I'm not looking for ultimate power or a drag-racing trophy, either.

iwentdoodie posted:

I think I have a problem.

I'm seriously trying to justify 20k on a god drat motorcycle.

I could literally buy a used car AND bike AND get the GTI done for less than that.

But oh god so sexy.

Edit: also LSx everything.

LSx motorcycle?

some texas redneck posted:

LS7 motorcycle.

Also one hell of a life insurance policy, since the most likely outcome of this combination will end in "splat". But it'll be a hell of a fun 10 seconds.

Dammit, beaten.

leica posted:

When I was a kid I read Cycle World religiously and I remember them taking a Vmax (this is in the late 80's) putting a drag slick and wheelie bars on it and getting 9 seconds in the 1/4 mile. I was loving astonished and have wanted one ever since, but after riding one it scared the poo poo out of me.

[e] holy poo poo I found it: http://www.zl-oa.com/forums/showthread.php?9552-zl900-Cycle-World-March-87-quot-Taking-it-to-the-Nines-quot

9.69 @ 135 with carbs re jetted and headers.

I always loved the massive intakes on those, and the grenade-launcher exhaust on the Magnas.

Thank you, that made my day better.

88h88 posted:

I was going to go to bed at midnight last night but then I found this video of a dude rebuilding a rotary and watched that instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJeUk_GqiI

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to when that video was made? It has a distinct Napoleon Dynamite vibe to it.

CommieGIR posted:

"Like most enjoyable things in life, it takes at least half a tub of vaseline to complete this task"

:allears: I like this guy.

Watch the whole series. It's on hiatus at the moment, as he moved houses and shops, and had to do some work to either. He does some near kevbarlas rust repair on the Cosmo. The final product will be 13BT with a Megasquirt.

McTinkerson posted:

SSW and I have been talking and I've come to the conclusion that his writing lends itself incredibly well to illustration. Am I the only one who wants some of his scenes immortalized as art on my walls?

This piece for instance: http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/post/124667452045/the-postman-always-rod-knocks-twice

I'm going to start hunting for an illustrator for him. Ideally a goon. Creative convention would be the place to start right?
I've also been thinking about taking some of his tumblr posts to a local tattoo artist as inspiration for a full/half sleeve.

Heh, "howling Dorito."

e: oh, poo poo, Aarocake started updating again! Sweet!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Awesome double post!

wallaka fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2015

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

PaintVagrant posted:

I like backyard burger and culvers more than 5 guys.

Can't get those around here, so 5 guys is the poo poo. You're doing a lot of business if you can afford to expand to multiple locations in Alabama.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2015

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Maybe a dumb question but why do you NEED a towing vehicle, how often are you going to be towing poo poo? I've been able to get by fine with borrowing or renting trucks when I need to tow something too big for the VW.

Mostly for the Lexus since it's going to be a track only car that I'd love to take out every couple weeks. I also I'm pretty sure a permanent tow vehicle is a requirement for anyone who owns a Bricklin.

I'll look into the diesel Jeep issue. I'm assuming the normal 3/36 warranty wouldn't suffice for that engine. Thanks for the heads up!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Guess who has a date this Monday? Yea this guy. Broke my dry spell last weekend with a wedding hookup and got a date out of it. Im soooo stoked.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Fart Pipe posted:

Guess who has a date this Monday? Yea this guy. Broke my dry spell last weekend with a wedding hookup and got a date out of it. Im soooo stoked.

You suck

good luck

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Good job dude. Happy for you.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Finally went to the optometrist because its been getting harder to see up close. Apparently, my eyes are getting tired as a result of dryness? Cool, went -.75 on some glasses and the frames and lenses (2 pairs) were 380$!

gently caress, there goes the head gasket job on the e30 this month...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Nice. One of Mrs. Noise's friends?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Nice. One of Mrs. Noise's friends?

Yes, the brides best friend. She said it was ok, haha

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hahaha nice man. I gotta swing by your place some weekend soon. Been a while... Still got your loving hoodie too lol.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A monday date? Have fun at the library.

/hasnt had a date since 2008

jk have fun!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hahaha nice man. I gotta swing by your place some weekend soon. Been a while... Still got your loving hoodie too lol.

Oh yea! I def want that hoodie back, my Nana got that for me and its nice one. Just come by on Friday when we all hang out

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

This weekend is a no-go. The girl's birthday is Saturday so I get to play DD Shauffer on Friday while she gets crunk at the bar with her friends.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is what I accomplished at work today:

Took a long to go through 6 rolls of tape, but the day has finally arrived that it has taken a pyramid shape. Your tax dollars at work. :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This weekend is a no-go. The girl's birthday is Saturday so I get to play DD Shauffer on Friday while she gets crunk at the bar with her friends.

Any Friday works or right now Im not super busy so just text me and we can hang whenever you have time

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh hell yeah Five Guys. It's on.

The girl in the Hoodie, this is her first experience with Five Guys.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Safety Dance posted:

*snigger*

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

88h88 posted:

*snicker*

You PC bro?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Five Guys sucks

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I enjoy Five Guys, but I found a mom and pop burger place a block away from the closest one to me, and it sells a better burger for less money.

And you don't feel like there's a wad of grease in your stomach afterwards either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

So how did she like it? I haven't met a woman that doesn't love eating five guys.

Nodoze posted:

Five Guys sucks

gently caress YOU MAN

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Whenever I want to go out for a fast food burger I have to settle for 5 guys because there are no in n outs here. It makes me kind of dislike them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

leica posted:

So how did she like it? I haven't met a woman that doesn't love eating five guys.

"Uuuughhhh ... It's up there with McRegrets."

[We're not sure if that's good or not.]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Five Guys sucks

I'm really not a fan either :shrug:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey guys, I need a commuter car for work and trips to the coast. I sold my other one and my truck is supposed to be for vacations only.

Pick apart my current list:

Keep in mind I drive some hilariously treacherous mountain highways so plain old rwd is... unwise. Also if you're used to US prices, our Canadian dollar poo poo the bed so everything is about 1/3 more expensive.

2009 Lincoln mkz awd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1122677749

2008 Merc clk 350 rwd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1122064191

2009 Merc c230 rwd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1123873249

2008 Saab 9-3 fwd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1121325141

2008 Caddy STS4 (My favourite one but dealership is known to be shady as gently caress) awd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1117268115

2008 Saab 97x (Blazer) awd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1108939672

2011 Nissan Maxima SV fwd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1114189130

Lexus is250 awd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1122146774

2013 Malibu 2LT fwd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1107197099

2008 CTS4 Sport (300hp) (Talked owner down to 9500) awd
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1120839882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That's quite a range of different cars. You list some RWD cars in the list after saying RWD won't cut it. Why? Do you have a budget? I'd avoid the Caddy if the dealer is shady. It shouldn't be an option. Do you know how much it can cost for repairs on a Merc?

Sorry if this post seems a bit frazzled, just my thoughts looking over the list.

• Locked thread