Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

The stupid was part of the point of Mortal Kombat. But it was deliberate stupid that laughed at itself. That's what made it the only good videogame movie ever produced. I take it this guy isn't up to the second bit?

Um, I'm not actually sure. Dexter is really, really loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Xtanstic posted:

Are we supposed to get Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage in 2016?

Yes, but they'd be April and June/July premieres, respectively, if they go by the same timetable as DD S1 and JJ. So In theory, there's room for a third show later next year, though it's by no means a sure thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Convex posted:

Yes, but they'd be April and June/July premieres, respectively, if they go by the same timetable as DD S1 and JJ. So In theory, there's room for a third show later next year, though it's by no means a sure thing.

JJ premiered last month though :confused:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

JJ premiered last month though :confused:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Daredevil started filming in July 2014, and premiered the following April. JJ started filming in February of this year, and premiered last month. So about nine months from the start of filming to the premiere date, which would put DD S2 and Luke Cage around April and June, given that they started filming in July and September, respectively.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno why Netflix is so tight lipped about their release schedule, but I think right now only Luke Cage Season 1 is officially slated, and it's no more specific than "2016".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

zoux posted:

I dunno why Netflix is so tight lipped about their release schedule, but I think right now only Luke Cage Season 1 is officially slated, and it's no more specific than "2016".

What does it gain them to announce a specific date before like a month in advance once they're totally sure they have the whole show where they want it to be? I'm sure they have internal deadlines for production since it'd be crazy not to, but if they don't announce stuff publicly there's plenty of wiggle room for reshoots or whatever and they don't have to worry about hand-wringing from all over the internet if something slips by a week.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

What does it gain them to announce a specific date before like a month in advance once they're totally sure they have the whole show where they want it to be? I'm sure they have internal deadlines for production since it'd be crazy not to, but if they don't announce stuff publicly there's plenty of wiggle room for reshoots or whatever and they don't have to worry about hand-wringing from all over the internet if something slips by a week.

No one should expect a specific date. It's just a bit odd that they're not even specifying a year, which they've done well in advance with their other shows once they start coming together.

Not saying it's that big a deal, though, as long as the creative side is finally falling into place.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Finally, an answer to the question "how will they find a way to make Iron Fist worse than JJ"

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
How, indeed, will they find a way to make their new series worse than the critically acclaimed series that preceded it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I said before, if the writer of Twilight brought us what I believe to be the best Marvel show by far then I'm satisfied their choice here is the right one. Even if his last show wasn't that well received.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Screenwriter and writer are completely different when it's an adaptation.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I guess that's true. I mean there's only so much a person can do with Twilight.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

X-O posted:

As I said before, if the writer of Twilight brought us what I believe to be the best Marvel show by far then I'm satisfied their choice here is the right one. Even if his last show wasn't that well received.

This.

Given that the worst part of the MCU is still quite good (age of ultron) I think we can give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BSam posted:

Given that the worst part of the MCU is still quite good (age of ultron) I think we can give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here.

I always assumed the worst part of the MCU was the new Hulk or one of the Thor movies myself.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
For those who got a bit nervous about those rumors: Iron Fist is on! :woop:
http://www.fueltechnica.com/2015/12/09/netflix-and-marvels-iron-fist-taps-dexter-alum-scott-buck-as-showrunner/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Look at the last two pages of posts

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just glad the dude who got his powers from punching a Dragon in the Heart will be on tv. And it looks like his origins will be, at least, partially intact.

Hopefully they'll go full 70s/80s cheesy martial arts movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAZp_wbv0h4

Edit: poo poo, maybe we'll get a Shang-Shi Master of Kung Fu appearance.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Apparently Buck also has some experience with Rome, as a writer and EP? That's probably a good thing for the action angle I guess, though I've never seen it myself. How were the episodes he wrote on that show?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm just glad the dude who got his powers from punching a Dragon in the Heart will be on tv. And it looks like his origins will be, at least, partially intact.

Hopefully they'll go full 70s/80s cheesy martial arts movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAZp_wbv0h4

Edit: poo poo, maybe we'll get a Shang-Shi Master of Kung Fu appearance.

Only if they use the right music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHXKQzewgs&t=54s

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just figured that the bad fights on Jessica Jones were more the result of the characters than the actual choreography. Jessica never really got any sort of training because her strength alone would always win over style (and when her strength doesn't mean anything at the end of the season she uses her brains to off Killgrave) and Luke Cage never bothered to learn more than slugging people in the face because why spend the time when your skin can't be damaged? They're brawlers.

Really, the only person who puts the time into it is Patty and she finds out that even training day after day can't help her much when facing a stronger and more determined opponent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

I just figured that the bad fights on Jessica Jones were more the result of the characters than the actual choreography. Jessica never really got any sort of training because her strength alone would always win over style (and when her strength doesn't mean anything at the end of the season she uses her brains to off Killgrave) and Luke Cage never bothered to learn more than slugging people in the face because why spend the time when your skin can't be damaged? They're brawlers.

Really, the only person who puts the time into it is Patty and she finds out that even training day after day can't help her much when facing a stronger and more determined opponent.

People are arguing, and I mostly agree, that it's not the talents on display that are bad, it's the direction of the scenes, especially compared to the amazing action in Daredevil.

I do think the bar fight and the showdown between Luke and Jessica were very good, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the threesome fight with Simpson was really good. Apparently I am in the minority though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

zoux posted:

People are arguing, and I mostly agree, that it's not the talents on display that are bad, it's the direction of the scenes, especially compared to the amazing action in Daredevil.

Excepting a couple standouts (like that bar fight), I'd say How I Met Your Mother had better-directed action scenes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Snak posted:

I thought the threesome fight with Simpson was really good. Apparently I am in the minority though.
I thought it was spotty in parts, but them just smashing through the apartment was rad and easily the best action sequence for me.

Surprised people are so hot on the bar fight. Luke's reactions were pretty good, but the actual fight just seemed like more of the same.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

VagueRant posted:

Surprised people are so hot on the bar fight.

This is a very specific fetish imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By the way Mike Colter crushes it as Luke Cage and I am extremely excited for his series.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Also, the absolute worst part of the show so far was Jessica using her dumb rear end crackhead neighbor as a patsy to steal some drugs. There's a moment where it slows down and she looks at him and he looks away like he's SO BETRAYED and I laughed my rear end off. Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.

That moment is meant to show that in her desperation to stop Kilgrave, Jessica has become just as low as he has: using someone just because he was convenient.

Also, to whoever said they want a Mortal Kombat TV show for Iron Fist...well, be very careful what you wish for.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Does this mean that Iron Fist is going to retire from crime fighting to be a lumberjack?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

Does this mean that Iron Fist is going to retire from crime fighting to be a lumberjack?

We already covered this hilarious angle when that news was first posted several days ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That moment is meant to show that in her desperation to stop Kilgrave, Jessica has become just as low as he has: using someone just because he was convenient.

Also, to whoever said they want a Mortal Kombat TV show for Iron Fist...well, be very careful what you wish for.

Not that one, this one

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did someone here post a link saying that Kilgrave never physically sexually assaulting Jessica Jones in the comic was an editorial decision? I've been searching and I must just be using the wrong words or something. Or I read it somewhere else entirely.

edit: VVV Yes sorry, in the comic. Lost that in a rewrite.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

odiv posted:

Did someone here post a link saying that Kilgrave never physically sexually assaulting Jessica Jones was an editorial decision? I've been searching and I must just be using the wrong words or something. Or I read it somewhere else entirely.

They say explicitly that she was raped in the show. Maybe you're confusing it with the comic, where JJ was mindcontrolled to desperately want to have sex with Kilgrave but he amused himself by refusing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

By the way Mike Colter crushes it as Luke Cage and I am extremely excited for his series.

I remember people were concerned because he wasn't a good actor or something?? Anyway he was great in this series, even if people didn't like that one line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dreylad posted:

I remember people were concerned because he wasn't a good actor or something?? Anyway he was great in this series, even if people didn't like that one line.

People were concerned because they didn't know him and because he wasn't Terry Crews. Anyone that saw him in The Good Wife let it be known that he would kill it in the role.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dreylad posted:

My only concern was that I'd only seen him on The Good Wife and I wasn't the hugest fan of his character. But those fears are gone, he nailed the character imo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finally finished JJ today. I liked it overall and the ending was great, but boy was it a very frustrating journey getting there.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

odiv posted:

Did someone here post a link saying that Kilgrave never physically sexually assaulting Jessica Jones in the comic was an editorial decision? I've been searching and I must just be using the wrong words or something. Or I read it somewhere else entirely.

edit: VVV Yes sorry, in the comic. Lost that in a rewrite.

From what I understand (phone posting, don't have links handy), that was an editorial decision for the comic book. The editors said she couldn't be raped, so Bendis wrote it the way he did, and I guess they let it stand.

Even more interesting was another editorial decision for the comic: Jessica Jones was originally written to be Jessica Drew, but the marvel editors figured they might want to reuse her character for something else later down the line and worried they might not be able to rebuild her after going through a series so dark, so they made Bendis change it up, after he already had a bunch of stuff outlined. This explains a lot of stuff like the Carol Danvers friendship, and suggests how the Avengers plot might have played out.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

St0rmD posted:

From what I understand (phone posting, don't have links handy), that was an editorial decision for the comic book. The editors said she couldn't be raped, so Bendis wrote it the way he did, and I guess they let it stand.
Yeah, that's what I remember reading, but I can't find the link(s) and my searching sucks. Anyone have one/them?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

St0rmD posted:

Even more interesting was another editorial decision for the comic: Jessica Jones was originally written to be Jessica Drew, but the marvel editors figured they might want to reuse her character for something else later down the line and worried they might not be able to rebuild her after going through a series so dark, so they made Bendis change it up, after he already had a bunch of stuff outlined. This explains a lot of stuff like the Carol Danvers friendship, and suggests how the Avengers plot might have played out.
Right up until the WEEK the show was released, I thought Alias was about the (then) former Spider-Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They team up in the comics. One of the biggest differences in the comics is that the stories are soaked in the broader Marvel universe. There's one case that doesn't involve some A or B list Marvel dude.

It's not a problem with the show, but they did have to go in some different directions and emphasize some different themes.