Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Something oddly hypnotizing about the various elements of motion here. I think I actually watched it for a full minute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Spirit of America rejects the hand of Donald Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Donald Trump just tweeted that all bald eagles are clowns and just rose six points in the polls.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I hear Ben Franklin's argument about how the turkey would have been a better choice for national bird, but watching that gif, I think we made the right call.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Is the conclusion "black people aren't inherently stupid"?

Basically. But also that most good evidence goes against the 'mismatch' hypothesis, and those pushing it likely have an axe to grind.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fried Chicken posted:

Scalia: Affirmative Action Sends Blacks To Schools Too Advanced For Them

Reminder that this case is being brought by a white kid who was straight up not good enough to get into school. From that, we hear this.

Next Scalia shows up to the oral arguments wearing the billboard from Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm starting to think Martin Shkreli is a trial balloon for the mega-rich, to see just how far they can push before someone takes them out in the modern age.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hulk Krogan posted:

I hear Ben Franklin's argument about how the turkey would have been a better choice for national bird, but watching that gif, I think we made the right call.

The bald eagle is a predator that rarely attacks dangerous or large prey, has a weak mating call, and eats mostly dead things and things it can steal from other predators. Yep, sounds about right.

Also, Ben Franklin never argued for the turkey. It is true that he didn't like the bald eagle though:

"For my own part. I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly ... besides he is a rank coward: The little king bird not bigger than a sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district."

Talmonis posted:

I'm starting to think Martin Shkreli is a trial balloon for the mega-rich, to see just how far they can push before someone takes them out in the modern age.

In that case they've chosen a confounding sample: his face is just naturally quite punchable, which might skew their results.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Pohl posted:

Yeah, which is why we need to raise interest rates! No one is sure why, but we really need to raise interest rates right loving now.

So people with money can make more money, duh.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nonsense posted:

I don't see Wu Tang keeping their end of the bargain. They'll release it online knowing the internet and general citizens of the world hates this dude.

Apparently shrikelli could release it for free, or play it at promotional events, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen. Apparently he's currently streaming himself sitting around because of the possibility that he might play it at some point.

But...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hello I am the King of Good Ideas. I sit on my throne every day and pull Good Ideas out of my Good Idea Sack. Let's see what we have today. *rustle rustle*

A-ha!

quote:

The Open Carry Walk and Crisis Performance Event will involve actors “shot” by perpetrators armed with cardboard weapons, said Matthew Short, a spokesman for the gun rights groups Come and Take It Texas and DontComply.com.

“It’s a fake mass shooting, and we’ll use fake blood,” he said. He said gun noises will be blared from bullhorns. Other people will then play the role of rescuers, also armed with cardboard weapons.

Asked if he was worried the demonstration, which will be preceded by a walk through Austin with loaded weapons might appear in bad taste following the mass shootings in San Bernardino and Paris, Short said: “Not at all. People were able to be murdered people because no one was armed.”

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/gun-rights-groups-to-stage-mock-mass-shooting-at-u/npf38/

Verily, the Finest Good Idea I've seen yet.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

In other news, Jeb has burned through almost half of his enormous superPAC fund and has absolutely nothing to show for it.

quote:

In recent private meetings, Murphy has continued to express confidence in the super PAC’s value and Bush’s prospects, arguing that a large share of voters have not settled on a candidate. During an early morning breakfast meeting for Right to Rise supporters in Washington last week, he predicted that the group’s investments in ads touting Bush’s biography and gubernatorial record will pay dividends once the electorate focuses on its choices.

That argument has assuaged many of the super PAC’s biggest backers.

“Like everyone else, I’m looking at the numbers,” said Mel Sembler, a Florida developer and former ambassador under both Bush administrations who is helping fundraise for Right to Rise. “The political people keep assuring us that the polling numbers are not important at this time. Mike Murphy gave us confidence that things would start turning around when people begin voting.”

Al Hoffman, another Florida developer and former ambassador who has given the super PAC $1 million, said he was impressed with a new 15-minute biographical documentary the group rolled out this weekend.

“Once the serious-minded Republicans who are going to vote in the primary see it, that will have big impact,” he said.

The level of faith in this 15 minute documentary is amazing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kurieg posted:

Apparently shrikelli could release it for free, or play it at promotional events, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen. Apparently he's currently streaming himself sitting around because of the possibility that he might play it at some point.

But...

Is that real because if it is it's kind of amazing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kurieg posted:

But...

If that's real, it made my day. Imagining Method Man trying to pick Shkreli's deadbolt without letting go of his blunt.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLQI8X2R6Y

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurieg posted:

But...

I see RZA already has plans for a tie-in movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hello I am the King of Good Ideas. I sit on my throne every day and pull Good Ideas out of my Good Idea Sack. Let's see what we have today. *rustle rustle*

A-ha!

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/gun-rights-groups-to-stage-mock-mass-shooting-at-u/npf38/

Verily, the Finest Good Idea I've seen yet.

these hipsters are dumbasses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe I'm just a SJW but this seems racist to me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm doing the catstare emoticon IRL right now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Scalia has definitely used the phrase "one of the good ones" at least five times during the course of his lovely, hateful life.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My hatred for Scalia is pretty well-documented around here, I guess -- but I think it's kind of remarkable how I wind up hating him more every single time he opens his mouth. There must be something he's said in an opinion, or during oral argument, that doesn't make me want to squish his face with bolt-cutters, but damned if I've ever been able to find anything.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Procedural question: this was in oral arguments, right? So while that mess you posted is horrendously racist, and while I'm the last person to defend Scalia, is it necessarily fair to paint him as arguing this? Isn't part of oral arguments that the Justices throw out a bunch of arguments for the attorneys to respond to, or is it sort of understood that they're arguing their own point of view and just using briefs and such as sources?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Supreme Court, Goddamn.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

This is getting the attention, but Roberts blasting that diversity has any value is pretty :stare: too

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Guys it's not Scalia's fault that blacks are obviously inferior.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

This is getting the attention, but Roberts blasting that diversity has any value is pretty :stare: too

And Roberts spent most of his time today asking when it's all going to end, apparently. Dude is very eager for Post Racial America.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

Isn't part of oral arguments that the Justices throw out a bunch of arguments for the attorneys to respond to, or is it sort of understood that they're arguing their own point of view and just using briefs and such as sources?

I guess but this is one of those things where its pretty obvious Scalia is throwing out an argument he wants someone else to agree with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hollismason posted:

Is that real because if it is it's kind of amazing.
I haven't been able to find any independent verification for or against outside of twitter but I desperately want it to be true.

Doctor Butts posted:

I guess but this is one of those things where its pretty obvious Scalia is throwing out an argument he wants someone else to agree with.

Yeah he's fairly on record against anything requiring anyone to favor minority groups. The fact that it's also "Cause they're so dumb, you see." Is icing on the cake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

And Roberts spent most of his time today asking when it's all going to end, apparently. Dude is very eager for Post Racial America.

"Uh I'm kind of on record as racism being over because of that whole VRA thing so..."

e: Here's a con law prof at Temple arguing in an NYT oped piece that Trump's plan may actually be constitutional.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 9, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fox News discussion today was about how islamophobia is made up and in fact the Muslims are the ones persecuting American Jews.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hulk Krogan posted:

Procedural question: this was in oral arguments, right? So while that mess you posted is horrendously racist, and while I'm the last person to defend Scalia, is it necessarily fair to paint him as arguing this? Isn't part of oral arguments that the Justices throw out a bunch of arguments for the attorneys to respond to, or is it sort of understood that they're arguing their own point of view and just using briefs and such as sources?

Yes, he has a well documented history of holding personal opinions that are very consistent with this. This is not devils advocacy, this is his argument to the other justices.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

e: Here's a con law prof at Temple arguing in an NYT oped piece that Trump's plan may actually be constitutional.
Ive seen a few on this, it basically comes down to our immigration law and history is so atrocious that yeah, he can do it because we've done similar poo poo in the past and that got signed off on

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Fox News discussion today was about how islamophobia is made up and in fact the Muslims are the ones persecuting American Jews.

There's a lot of headlines in Europe of attacks on Jewish people and antisemitism increasing because of Muslim immigrants and refugees. They'll probably start whipping that up here, despite all the pig heads left on mosques, and not long ago black churches were torched, but claims and hearsay rule now.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Oh, I'm absolutely certain that he is, because he's an rear end in a top hat and his saying something like this doesn't surprise me at all. I was just wondering about what the understanding is when a justice cites a brief or other source during oral arguments regarding whether they're playing devil's advocate or advancing an actual position.

Edit: Yeah this basically answered my question:

Mulva posted:

Yes, he has a well documented history of holding personal opinions that are very consistent with this. This is not devils advocacy, this is his argument to the other justices.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Powerful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mulva posted:

This. There are multiple decisions where scalia quite frankly talks about "blacks" and what they should be doing instead.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

zoux posted:

Powerful.

"How can we really make this appeal to the current electorate?"

"Make him even whiter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is that what they pissed 50 million dollars away on? Is so LOL.

• Locked thread