Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Bholder posted:

Now that's a statement I haven't heard in a while...

Gameplay wise, I'd agree with him that 2 is the best. 1 had the best story, and 3 was just garbage all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So if you don't go talk to anyone in the Vault after busting Curie out and take the cure for yourself, she just fucks off immediately after, huh? Can't get any dialog options with her. I actually thought she'd gotten blown up somewhere, but right at the end of the game when the Institute tells you to go shake hands with the Railroad guys, I warped over there and Curie was floating around.

Later, after I'd remembered oh yeah, Virgil was a person, I went to the FEV Lab to grab his mutagen or whatever it was, and warped to his cave... and there was Curie again, fighting a Glowing Deathclaw. And she promptly wandered off again after it was dead. I figured she'd go hang out somewhere, but nope. She's just meandering all over the map now I guess.

Virgil wasn't very happy I'd completely forgotten about him almost immediately after I talked to him. What's the time frame for when you can get his doodad and give it to him? Just immediately after your very first trip to the Institute? Because 'well after the end of the game' is not a viable time to do it! :v:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

That works for John Fallout, but what's the explanation behind civilian lawyer wife being able to use it as easily as him?

Yeah, despite generally preferring playing as females in games like this, I can't really suspend my disbelief that a civilian lawyer would take so easily to mass slaughter and shooting/stabbing/subterfuge. It would have been an interesting angle if they gave you more opportunities to resolve quests non-violently through persuasion (something a lawyer should be good at). Would have been better if both of them had a military background, or if they let you choose your former profession - it barely comes up in dialogue anyway.

I really hate how they blew their load on that weird live-action cutscene establishing the male as the "canon" choice. Makes playing a female feel kind of hollow. Do females get to voice their own epilogue sequence at least, or is that male too?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Stringbean posted:

I just got the game and I've got a very minor complaint

Your character is really really really really nonchalant about everything happening. You watched your spouse get murdered in front of you, first thing you do out of the tube is nab her wedding ring and kinda shrug it off. Big rear end cockroach? Oh that sure is big. S/he is very blasé about it all.

This largely holds for the rest of the game with a few notable exceptions

confronting Kellogg being my favorite

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Could someone spoil the ending for me, please, is Shaun still alive when I blow up the Institute?

Also, someone decide on spoiler tag use in this thread, is there really any point of them any more.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

is there any way to build planter's like there are in gray garden?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

JawKnee posted:

This largely holds for the rest of the game with a few notable exceptions

confronting Kellogg being my favorite

Yeah, meeting and killing Kellogg was a high point. But I've two gripes with it. And one of them ism't even a part of that particular event.

One, the quests before and after it. Before, I had to follow Dogmeat and shoot anything that got in my way. And then after Kellogg, we wound up having to learn about his whole loving life just for one arbitrary piece of intelligence. It's like a decent point is just floating in the sea of poo poo that is the stuff it's in between.

And two, you can't talk him down. At all.It's just "I'll tell you what's on my computer, and then we will fight.". No 10 CHA requiring check to get more info out of him, no check to get the other synths down, not evne a check to force fisticuffs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mackintosh posted:

Could someone spoil the ending for me, please, is Shaun still alive when I blow up the Institute?

Also, someone decide on spoiler tag use in this thread, is there really any point of them any more.

If by that you mean he's still alive and inside it when you blow it skyhigh, yes. Then he's not alive anymore after that because you blew him up in a nuclear explosion. Also he's dying of cancer or something anyway.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

widespread posted:

And two, you can't talk him down. At all.It's just "I'll tell you what's on my computer, and then we will fight.". No 10 CHA requiring check to get more info out of him, no check to get the other synths down, not evne a check to force fisticuffs!

I dunno about you but I definitely didn't go in there looking to talk him down

I went in there looking for blood

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JackBadass posted:

Gameplay wise, I'd agree with him that 2 is the best. 1 had the best story, and 3 was just garbage all around.

3 had better shooting IMO, you could lessen the cover shooting stuff and there were some really cool encounters. Story was hokum but anyone who cringed through the previous two games' Bioware dialogue would find it pretty tolerable.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, despite generally preferring playing as females in games like this, I can't really suspend my disbelief that a civilian lawyer would take so easily to mass slaughter and shooting/stabbing/subterfuge. It would have been an interesting angle if they gave you more opportunities to resolve quests non-violently through persuasion (something a lawyer should be good at). Would have been better if both of them had a military background, or if they let you choose your former profession - it barely comes up in dialogue anyway.

I really hate how they blew their load on that weird live-action cutscene establishing the male as the "canon" choice. Makes playing a female feel kind of hollow. Do females get to voice their own epilogue sequence at least, or is that male too?

Yeah, women get their own epilogue at least.

widespread posted:

Yeah, meeting and killing Kellogg was a high point. But I've two gripes with it. And one of them ism't even a part of that particular event.

One, the quests before and after it. Before, I had to follow Dogmeat and shoot anything that got in my way. And then after Kellogg, we wound up having to learn about his whole loving life just for one arbitrary piece of intelligence. It's like a decent point is just floating in the sea of poo poo that is the stuff it's in between.

It's so weird that they made Kellogg cyber-immortal somehow so you can meet him face to face, but the way you progress the main quest is by killing him and looting his corpse. Just have the player find and loot his grave or something! Save a few dollars on dialogue!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 9, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kellogg should be a romance option

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

Any recommendations on what gear to upgrade to? I'm currently level 39, Institute = dead Railroad, strength/agility stealth build, alternating between Grognak's Axe + Grognak's costume and Pickman's Blade + random legendary synth gear. I've been playing aesthetically, but survivability from failed shank attempts would be nice.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

RBA Starblade posted:

If by that you mean he's still alive and inside it when you blow it skyhigh, yes. Then he's not alive anymore after that because you blew him up in a nuclear explosion. Also he's dying of cancer or something anyway.

God drat it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

JawKnee posted:

I dunno about you but I definitely didn't go in there looking to talk him down

I went in there looking for blood

Something something Commonwealth taught me to be kind to one another or some hippie bullshit.

As for me? One tgm and several mini-nukes. Because the info's on his computer anyway.

Oh, fun fact, I'm not sure if I'm the only one to notice but Kellogg seems to scale right to your level, plus has a cap on how much damage you can do to him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Techniichan posted:

Any recommendations on what gear to upgrade to? I'm currently level 39, Institute = dead Railroad, strength/agility stealth build, alternating between Grognak's Axe + Grognak's costume and Pickman's Blade + random legendary synth gear. I've been playing aesthetically, but survivability from failed shank attempts would be nice.

Remind me can I get the Grognak stuff without any lockpick or hacking skills? I got the Rockville Slugger on my 1 int 10 str idiot savant melee monster but I forgot about those.

quote:

Oh, fun fact, I'm not sure if I'm the only one to notice but Kellogg seems to scale right to your level, plus has a cap on how much damage you can do to him.

Much like the wee adult Shaun I blew up Kellog with a nuclear explosion, instantly killing him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The wistful delivery of John Fallout's "Sounds like fun" line in response to the Swatta salesman's description of baseball is secretly some of the best voice acting in the game.

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Remind me can I get the Grognak stuff without any lockpick or hacking skills? I got the Rockville Slugger on my 1 int 10 str idiot savant melee monster but I forgot about those.

The axe requires advanced lockpick, but the costume is simply lying on a shelf.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are people actually still hung up on the lawyer thing when literally the only place in the game it's ever mentioned is once at the beginning if you click on a certain item?

Renzuko posted:

is there any way to build planter's like there are in gray garden?

There's a mod for that already. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1490/

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Entropic posted:

Are people actually still hung up on the lawyer thing when literally the only place in the game it's ever mentioned is once at the beginning if you click on a certain item?

excuse me it is mentioned also by the lookout at the beached space-pirate ship :colbert:

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Techniichan posted:

And as a reminder you can get Cait to pick locks for you if you don't wanna waste points.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like hacking is really unnecessary in this game, which is good because the mini-game is lame. For any quest stuff, there's always another way around a terminal, and lockpick gets you so many more goodies. Is there any actual cool stuff you miss out on if you never put a single point into the hacking perk?

JawKnee posted:

excuse me it is mentioned also by the lookout at the beached space-pirate ship :colbert:

I knew someone would dig up something to correct me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Techniichan posted:

Thanks, I'll just drag Cait along once I find her and have her open it for me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I wonder if people bitched this much about a Vault Dweller or their Tribal descendant being able to use advanced weaponry and power armor.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fun fact you can ride the constitution away but you die when it lands.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

the_steve posted:

Not gonna lie, this game has been doing a good job of keeping me on edge when I'm playing it.
After walking through Skyrim like the invincible demigod that I was, and then getting ripped apart by packs of ghouls who show up out of nowhere in the Commonwealth and actually having to pay attention to my surroundings was a bit of a wakeup call.

My MVP has, without a doubt, been a serrated switchblade. That thing has wrecked so much poo poo for me. I recently replaced it with a serrated combat knife, so hopefully it carries on the fine tradition of destruction.

The settlement editor has been a pain in the rear end though. I'm on the PS4, all I wanted was to fence in my vegetable garden, all of a sudden i've got chunks of fence hanging 4 feet in the air and refusing to snap onto other pieces and generally being uncooperative. If I can't even pen in my tatos, I don't know how the gently caress I'm going to set up an electrical grid and build houses.
My mvp is my explosive shotgun. Every pellet explodes on impact. Downed a mirelurk queen in a couple shots with it!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Magmarashi posted:

I wonder if people bitched this much about a Vault Dweller or their Tribal descendant being able to use advanced weaponry and power armor.

The chosen one should have been required to find people to teach him what a firearm is

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Do I need to commit to the BoS to get Danse's perk (and more conversations with him) or just progress the main plot? He's locked up on me a bit. My next main quest is to find Virgil.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lima posted:

Perhaps she too was a veteran but then studied law on a GI bill.

I just hand wave it away by saying the female PC was a member of an auxiliary service, like the real life WASPs of WWII, or that she worked at a power armor/weapons factory and learned skills there. You could even get really out there and say she was originally from Alaska and when the Chinese invaded she joined a local resistance cell.

MisterBibs posted:

According to the data Bioware released, almost everyone played Soldier Man Shep. It caused quite a bit of shock in the ME thread at the time, who kept espousing the joy of Vanguard/FemShep to the point where they couldn't understand that everyone else played it differently. (Come to think of it, that has parallels to this thread - how often are people espousing how good Obsidian is when everyone else likes how Bethesda does things?)

fake edit: here, have a picture I stole from IGN:

There reason that so many played Soldier male Shep was because that was the default character that you were presented with at the "start game" screen so many people just hit the "start game" button or gave him a beard or something. Male Shep was also used in all the the advertising, game play previews, and on the box art so many players didn't even realize you could play a female Shepard. If the class/gender/race the player was presented with been randomized you would have seen much different stats. This is the same problem with Fallout 4: The male LS was the one who did the opening narration and is right there in the mirror when the tutorial starts. The female LS takes a couple seconds to step in and even then is behind the male LS talking about what he is doing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MH Knights posted:

I just hand wave it away by saying the female PC was a member of an auxiliary service, like the real life WASPs of WWII, or that she worked at a power armor/weapons factory and learned skills there. You could even get really out there and say she was originally from Alaska and when the Chinese invaded she joined a local resistance cell.

Every random settler and drug addict you meet can wear power armor too. Hell, Billy would probably hop right in.

On the things to whine about list, "HOW CAN MY PRE WAR DUDE WEAR POWER ARMOR JUST AS WELL AS A DRUG ADDICTED FAKE PSYCHIC, MY IMMERSION" is pretty low on the list

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah I did. It was stupid. Quite a bit worse than "lawyer knows how to slaughter people by the dozen" IMO, maybe Nora's just obsessed with guns and spends hours at the range every day. I'm not sure where a tribal would have picked up hacking skills.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 9, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sylink posted:

for real? What if you're inside the ship, or does the event just not happen then?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Power armor looks pretty easy to use.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sylink posted:

It should turn into a new settlement when it lands

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I did. It was stupid. Quite a bit worse than "lawyer knows how to slaughter people by the dozen" IMO, maybe Nora's just obsessed with guns and spends hours at the range every day.

My 1 int Nora's father used his money and influence to buy her a law degree, in reality though she always wanted to be a baseball player. She isn't taking it very well that the commonwealth forgot about the majesty of the sport, so she's reminding them one raider head at a time.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

From what I remember people bitched about the opposite, that you don't start with some weapon or armor. I mean there's magnum right next to the Elder in the intro, can't we take that to our super important mission?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magmarashi posted:

Spoiler: it's only girls that gamers get angry about if they can do things. There are dozens of games men drive tanks and pilot helicopters and everyone accepts that, but if a girl can do anything but bake you get the "I'm totally not a sexist BUT this totally breaks my immersion" crowd pile on all day.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

widespread posted:

You can just walk right through the first memories to the next stage, the last one is the only one you have to sit through.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bholder posted:

From what I remember people bitched about the opposite, that you don't start with some weapon or armor. I mean there's magnum right next to the Elder in the intro, can't we take that to our super important mission?

In Fallout 1 and 2, you slowly put points into small arms, simulating getting better with them over time.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 9, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Spoiler: it's only girls that gamers get angry about if they can do things. There are dozens of games men drive tanks and pilot helicopters and everyone accepts that, but if a girl can do anything but bake you get the "I'm totally not a sexist BUT this totally breaks my immersion" crowd pile on all day.

To be fair 99% of the things you do in FO4 involve shooting, killing, or maiming something - stuff that'd come naturally to a soldier. If the husband were a baker I'd have the same headscratching moment when he drops half a dozen raiders with perfect headshots right out of the vault. The weird disconnect has nothing to do with their respective gender, though i guess I can't speak for anyone else.

Ak Gara posted:

In Fallout 1 and 2, you slowly put points into small arms, simulating getting better with them over time

That's how I handled it. Always tag skills that will be useful early-game but could conceivably be in your character's repertoire, and expand into guns and energy weapons over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can roleplay being an ineffectual combatant during the Concord power armour segment by swinging your mouse around and randomly punching the directional keys at timed intervals.

• Locked thread