Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

No exclamation point to be found.

This looks like a poster for something I would watch on HBO if there's nothing else on and the WiFi at the hotel is out. Even then, I'd keep channel surfing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Zombie Samurai posted:

"How can we really make this appeal to the current electorate?"

"Make him even whiter."

Washed out, even.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

botany posted:

Solar itself is actually already where it needs to be, especially in combination with newer turbine designs in wind, the main issue is energy storage. According to a friend who works in that area, there are some very promising new ideas in the works but I have no idea how far along those are.

Basically the problem with storage is that no matter what you're doing it in, you're storing a lot of energy. And when you store a lot of energy in something it can be really dangerous if something goes wrong. Also, you need a lot of space to store that energy in. We have great ways to hold energy, like massive banks of batteries, or buildings huge resevoirs we can pump water up into with excess power in day and then let water run out to turn tubine generators at night, or even things where we literally chunk big lumps of material on sleds on rails, and use spare electricity to shove them up slopes in day and then let them go down to generate electricity at night. And if you have enough hollowed out underground space, like say from old mines, you can pump air into the caverns to hold at high pressure with minimal leakage, and then start to let it out at night through machinery that spins to generate power.

But all of those require a lot of land and materials, and especially for water storage you need a serious amount of cleanish water and substantially built structures or tough and solid landscape to hold it. The stored air one presents the least immediate danger, but is quite a nonstarter if you don't have good rock layers close to the surface that have been sufficiently mined through.

There's an alternate way to handle things, which is to divert peak production power from intermittent sources into running wasteful (energywise) production of synthetic fuels from various feedstocks. We would essentially be dumping the excess power into getting back like 80% or less of the energy put in in synthetic gas/diesel, or a bit more in cracked hydrogen for fuel cells (you lose more power due to natural inefficiencies when those are burned, but whatever). The issue is you can't use that stuff to kep the lights on at night, the way other forms of more direct energy storage allow.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

Maybe I'm just a SJW but this seems racist to me.

What's missing in this is Scalia pointing out that he is a expert Phrenologist and black people have have unusual skulls, you see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Riosan posted:

No exclamation point to be found.

This looks like a poster for something I would watch on HBO if there's nothing else on and the WiFi at the hotel is out. Even then, I'd keep channel surfing.

It's a 15 minute youtube "movie".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

Powerful.

They made him even more white

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. There are multiple decisions where scalia quite frankly talks about "blacks" and what they should be doing instead.

And on this issue in particular. Don't forget that he went out of his way in a concurring opinion in the Michigan case to attack Justice Sotamayor for daring to defend AA in her dissent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

"Uh I'm kind of on record as racism being over because of that whole VRA thing so..."

e: Here's a con law prof at Temple arguing in an NYT oped piece that Trump's plan may actually be constitutional.

That's a good article.

I also like that he highlights the fact that scotus is not the end all on constitutionality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jesus Christ can you imagine the kinds of people Trump would appoint to the SCOTUS.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ can you imagine the kinds of people Trump would appoint to the SCOTUS.

Is Bork still alive?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of how anyone could be worse than Scalia.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is Bork still alive?
Does he need to be?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mdemone posted:

The reanimated corpse of Roger Taney?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mdemone posted:

Have you heard of Justice Thomas.

Also wait till Alito gets a little older.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

It'd be like the cadover synod ,but with the body of Mussolini presiding over the court.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

zoux posted:

Brilliant people. Not as brilliant as him, but very smart, very smart. They'll be great, everyone will love them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At some point Clarence Thomas will fight through his mental conditioning block and just go loving nuts on the court.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “I’ve never heard that before.” ~ Kathleen, mom of Erick, when asked if it's true that they refused to eat "Asian food" on December 7th.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

zoux posted:

Powerful.

He is even fading in his own movie :smith:

Also if you thought today couldn't get any better

Erick Ericksons own mom calls him full of poo poo.

http://gawker.com/erick-erickson-s-mom-denies-son-s-story-about-boycottin-1747101450

efb :argh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know what's more depressing....that Scalia is making decisions that effect 350 million people with views like his, or that he's almost certainly going to end up on the winning side here, or even worse, writing for the majority. Keep in mind that Justice Kagan had to recuse herself from this case since she was still the Solicitor General at the time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A Quintesson.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “I’ve never heard that before.” ~ Kathleen, mom of Erick, when asked if it's true that they refused to eat "Asian food" on December 7th.

This is incredible.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Winkie01 posted:

He is even fading in his own movie :smith:

Also if you thought today couldn't get any better

Erick Ericksons own mom calls him full of poo poo.

http://gawker.com/erick-erickson-s-mom-denies-son-s-story-about-boycottin-1747101450

efb :argh:

Well she doesn't so much say he's full of poo poo as claims that he never said it. Even though he did. On his own twitter.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fixed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

botany posted:

Solar itself is actually already where it needs to be, especially in combination with newer turbine designs in wind, the main issue is energy storage. According to a friend who works in that area, there are some very promising new ideas in the works but I have no idea how far along those are.

*This is actually where a lot of the most important recent development has been, which is why we are actually getting to a point where it's legitimately feasible and cost-effective (relatively speaking, of course) to implement at least part-solar or wind/solar systems in places like Europe, where it would've been easily considered unwise even a few years ago.

The tech is getting to a point where "lol, but it's cloudy there" stops being such a problem but we need grid-level investment to get over the remaining barriers.

Fried Chicken posted:

Scalia: Affirmative Action Sends Blacks To Schools Too Advanced For Them

Reminder that this case is being brought by a white kid who was straight up not good enough to get into school. From that, we hear this.

The worst part is that there's an unfortunate kernel of liberal truth buried deep in that backwards-rear end message that conservatives can point to.

Low-income students (predominantly black/Latino/Native American but also frequently rural and white) at elite colleges and universities experience academic difficulties and flunk/drop out at significantly higher rates than their peers, while reporting way higher levels of mental distress.

But it's also entirely because of educational/resource inequality and the effects of racism.

In fact, a good deal of the liberal bellyaching aimed at universities that conservatives and South Park moderates have been mocking of late has been about better equipping schools to support those students.

You know, because the alternative is fixing education inequality at the public school level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His mom's full statement shows more of the kind of benign racism well-meaning old people still have rather than the exclusionary and proactive racism that other old people have.

"I'm glad our war led to the saving of so many heathen souls,."
"Jesus Christ, the Collective American Grandma"

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

weekly font posted:

Scalia has definitely used the phrase "one of the good ones" at least five times during the course of his lovely, hateful life.

Why are you lowballing?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I only have access to paint atm, but a truly fixed should also just have the brightness increased to get rid of the face.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mdemone posted:

Does it seem that the technology will continue to make advances in the short term, or have we reached another sort of efficiency plateau for the time being? The evolution of solar's feasibility has been interesting to me, but I don't know where to get good information on it because as you say, there are interested parties suppressing the spread of that information.

This article is worth reading: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/09/sunniest-climate-change-story-ever-read.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

*This is actually where a lot of the most important recent development has been, which is why we are actually getting to a point where it's legitimately feasible and cost-effective (relatively speaking, of course) to implement at least part-solar or wind/solar systems in places like Europe, where it would've been easily considered unwise even a few years ago.

The tech is getting to a point where "lol, but it's cloudy there" stops being such a problem but we need grid-level investment to get over the remaining barriers.

The worst part is that there's an unfortunate kernel of liberal truth buried deep in that backwards-rear end message that conservatives can point to.

Low-income students (predominantly black/Latino/Native American but also frequently rural and white) at elite colleges and universities experience academic difficulties and flunk/drop out at significantly higher rates than their peers, while reporting way higher levels of mental distress.

But it's also entirely because of educational/resource inequality and the effects of racism.

In fact, a good deal of the liberal bellyaching aimed at universities that conservatives and South Park moderates have been mocking of late has been about better equipping schools to support those students.

You know, because the alternative is fixing education inequality at the public school level.

Isn't there though that statistic that the likely hood of succeeding in school is based on the socioeconomic background you come from so students who come from poorer backgrounds do in fact have a less chance succeeding at school just because of that and it doesn't have anything at all to do with race.

Also, that statement is kind of a " just being a dark thinker here" kind of statement or whatever

Okay it's just kind of racist.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Well he's still in the race.

It isn't as though he's in a race with a ~dozen other rubes that haven't spent near that much cash.

Considering the handicap that Jeb! started with, burning through $50 mil to stay in the race in fourth or fifth place ins't too bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When should I expect a permanent schism between Trump and the GOP establishment?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

When should I expect a permanent schism between Trump and the GOP establishment?

July 21, 2016.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:911: He tried so hard to carry on the Bush legacy :911:

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

His eye is still a plain white sphere.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CommieGIR posted:

:911: He tried so hard to carry on the Bush legacy :911:

Jeb didn't even need the pretzel to choke.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Buzzfeed recently put out a long-form article investigating abuses of the H-2 visa system for unskilled labor, with a focus on agriculture in the South firing African Americans so they can hire captive foreign labor.. This follows their article from July on the slavery-like living conditions for those employed by the program.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hollismason posted:

Isn't there though that statistic that the likely hood of succeeding in school is based on the socioeconomic background you come from so students who come from poorer backgrounds do in fact have a less chance succeeding at school just because of that and it doesn't have anything at all to do with race.

Yeah, but race and socioeconomic background go together in America like chocolate, peanut butter, and a long history of racial oppression.

Really, it's a nuanced, complicated issue that has its roots in several different manifestations of inequality.

So basically a nonstarter for anyone who thinks something like BLM is "extreme."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

And Roberts spent most of his time today asking when it's all going to end, apparently. Dude is very eager for Post Racial America.

According to his comments after gutting the CRA, racism in this country was ended when Obama was elected president. He's probably just angry that the rest of the country hasn't seemed to realize that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I'm gathering that the right wing's defense on Islamaphobia is now using Carter's deportation of Iranian students. I'm seeing it all over my facebook with people arguing back and forth all over the place. For me its apple and oranges, and I would have been just as pissed then as I am now about Trump's ideas actually being considered reasonable reactions.

I was only 8 or 9 when this happened, so I was thinking of asking if anyone here knows the background on this? I could only find links to right wing sites and crowing blogs.

All I have gathered so far is that it happened during the hostage crisis, Carter gave some officials the power to actively search for students with expired visas and deport them, then restricted (the right wing sites say 'banned') incoming Iranians.

I didn't want to get into a discussion on freaking Facebook on it until I knew more about the background and context. Personally, I'm curious abut it and I'll probably just quietly start culling my Facebook friend's list over the next week. Arguing with most people on FB isn't going to change their minds one iota.

• Locked thread