Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Svanja posted:

I'm gathering that the right wing's defense on Islamaphobia is now using Carter's deportation of Iranian students. I'm seeing it all over my facebook with people arguing back and forth all over the place. For me its apple and oranges, and I would have been just as pissed then as I am now about Trump's ideas actually being considered reasonable reactions.

I was only 8 or 9 when this happened, so I was thinking of asking if anyone here knows the background on this? I could only find links to right wing sites and crowing blogs.

All I have gathered so far is that it happened during the hostage crisis, Carter gave some officials the power to actively search for students with expired visas and deport them, then restricted (the right wing sites say 'banned') incoming Iranians.

I didn't want to get into a discussion on freaking Facebook on it until I knew more about the background and context. Personally, I'm curious abut it and I'll probably just quietly start culling my Facebook friend's list over the next week. Arguing with most people on FB isn't going to change their minds one iota.

I haven't heard about that, but if it happened it was wrong then, just like internment of Japanese was wrong even though a Democratic president did it. I know they will be surprised that you don't blindly and fully support every action of your party throughout history, but it might just blow their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:catstare: What the gently caress is wrong with the US?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ can you imagine the kinds of people Trump would appoint to the SCOTUS.

Like they could be any worse than the 5 conservative hacks on the court right now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When was he radicalized? Should we restrict Christian immigration into the US until we "figure out what is going on?"

mcmagic posted:

Like they could be any worse than the 5 conservative hacks on the court right now?

It can always be worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Roberts votes to keep Obamacare. It was a big deal.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

I haven't heard about that, but if it happened it was wrong then, just like internment of Japanese was wrong even though a Democratic president did it. I know they will be surprised that you don't blindly and fully support every action of your party throughout history, but it might just blow their minds.

There's nothing wrong with sending people who have overstayed their visas home. Or restricting travel to/from a nation that has pissed yours off. We do it with Cuba and North Korea as it is. Doing so with an ethnic group or religion is a different matter entirely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Roberts votes to keep Obamacare. It was a big deal.

I am surprised it has survived this court despite being dragged before it more than once.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

It can always be worse.

Not really. Depends who they replace...

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

When was he radicalized? Should we restrict Christian immigration into the US until we "figure out what is going on?"

We still have no idea what his motivation was. The biggest mystery of our time. Guess we'll just have to move on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. There could be more than 5.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Not really. Depends who they replace...

Harriet Miers could easily have been on this court. Or Robert Bork.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ can you imagine the kinds of people Trump would appoint to the SCOTUS.

Howard Stern most likely

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

It can always be worse.

Which republican candidate will come out with I AM A WARRIOR FOR THE BABIES as their new campaign slogan?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: What the gently caress is wrong with the US?

Similarly there is/was literal slavery going on down on tomato farms in Florida (where you get the rock solid tomatoes that are used in burger joints throughout the country) simply because of how loving far the farms were from any sort of civilization.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/26/139972669/the-unsavory-story-of-industrially-grown-tomatoes

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Restricting new immigration from a country that just openly declared hostilities against yours and kidnapped the state department staff seems like a completely reasonable action. That's based on a state action.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pathetic little tramp posted:

Which republican candidate will come out with I AM A WARRIOR FOR THE BABIES as their new campaign slogan?

Sounds like a twitter hashtag waiting to happen.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Howard Stern most likely

Sheriff Joe Arpaio would definitely be in the running.

edit: Bork...Myers, Trump wouldn't appoint those losers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Harriet Miers could easily have been on this court. Or Robert Bork.

Bork wouldn't be any worse than Alito though. Myers would almost certainly be better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gravel Gravy posted:

Howard Stern most likely

Still better than Scalia

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

What a sad, pathetic man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Restricting new immigration from a country that just openly declared hostilities against yours and kidnapped the state department staff seems like a completely reasonable action. That's based on a state action.

Yeah but rounding people up to kick them out? It may be diplomatically and legally OK but it still seems like a dick move. Also the theocratic nature of the revolution kind of blurs the line between church and state. Like I said this is my immediate reaction not knowing all the historical context.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Howard Stern most likely

Howard is liberal and progressive as gently caress, let's do this

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Trump will probably nominate like Vince McMahon, or just Vince himself.

Extremely pro-business but not terrible on social issues.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Yeah but rounding people up to kick them out? It may be diplomatically and legally OK but it still seems like a dick move. Also the theocratic nature of the revolution kind of blurs the line between church and state. Like I said this is my immediate reaction not knowing all the historical context.

Just people with expired visas who were supposed to be kicked out anyway. Which before you compare that to kicking out undocumented immigrants from Mexico, pretend Mexico has just committed an act of war and is in fact a relatively small country with a relatively small amount of undocumented immigrants here in the late 70s.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Mulva posted:

And on this issue in particular. Don't forget that he went out of his way in a concurring opinion in the Michigan case to attack Justice Sotamayor for daring to defend AA in her dissent.

I think you're thinking of Chief Justice Roberts's concurrence, Justice Scalia's was more addressed to the EPC question in general (but it's been a while since I read it so I may be mistaken).

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 9, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I would say Trumps top 2 nominees for SCOTUS would be Carl Icahn and Gary Busey.

Maybe Omarosa if he was seeking progressive cred.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

It can always be worse.

he was a retarded monster nutjob whos views were made "reasonable" by loud dickheads on tv and radio. so much so that he went out and killed three people and tried to kill more. so yeah i would say he was radicalized nutjob encouraged by fuckfaces here.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

There's only one "movement" conservative on the Court currently, if that's what you mean.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

And Roberts spent most of his time today asking when it's all going to end, apparently. Dude is very eager for Post Racial Civil Rights America.

Close. :eng101:

mdemone posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of how anyone could be worse than Scalia.

mcmagic posted:

Supreme Court Justice Mat Staver.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Supreme Court Justice Mat Staver.

No worse than Roberts, Alito, Thomas or Scalia and 98% of Kennedy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On behalf of California democrats, I apologize for Feinstein.

Top Democratic senator will seek legislation to 'pierce' through encryption

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Britain on GUNZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TABgNerEro8

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

This is depressingly hosed up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sydin posted:

On behalf of California democrats, I apologize for Feinstein.

Top Democratic senator will seek legislation to 'pierce' through encryption

Feinstein is such a shithead.

At least Kamala Harris will probably be better than Boxer when she retires.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Can Donald Trump nominate himself to the SCOTUS? Would he still be better than Scalia?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Can Donald Trump nominate himself to the SCOTUS? Would he still be better than Scalia?

The Constitution doesn't say he can't!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MariusLecter posted:

The Constitution doesn't say he can't!
I... don't think he can hold both positions at the same time???

There's a rule against that right??? Could Antonin Scalia run for President without resigning from the Supreme Court?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Howard Stern most likely

But Howard Stern is liberal as all hell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JT Jag posted:

I... don't think he can hold both positions at the same time???

There's a rule against that right??? Could Antonin Scalia run for President without resigning from the Supreme Court?

This brave new world of infinite possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Trump will clone himself 8 times and appoint them all to the bench.

Scalia will stay on to provide concurrent opinions.

• Locked thread