Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

Blaming the nebulous private sector lets the OLP off the hook too much. Maybe things would be better under full communism but it's a red herring. Every other province and state was also operating alongside a private sector for the last 25 years. It's not that bizarre that ONDP and OPC haven't been able to capitalize, you still see a lot of people saying it can't be that bad, their power bills haven't gone up much or quickly reframe any criticism as global warming denial from rich rural nimbys slash mike harris.

I'm not blaming the private sector -- though God knows all the money they shovel at garbage "think tanks" like the Fraser Institute means they do deserve some blame -- I'm saying that conversion to free market fundamentalism by most of the political establishment and media creates an environment that's conducive to this kind of behavior. You're very good at pointing out the failures of the Liberals but you're rather quick to overlook the context in which these failures keep happening.

We hardly need to contemplate "full communism' to solve this. The pre-Mike Harris Conservative Party basically created Ontario Hydro.

Also if the PCs would stop nominating Mike Harris' corpse to lose one election after another then maybe we could have an election about actual issues instead of a referendum on "is it time to drop a thermonuclear device on the public sector". If the PCs could behave like like their Bill Davis counterparts rather than acting like the Arizona GOP then maybe the next election won't end up being overshadowed by some insane, mean spirited and ultimately self destructive PC policy position like firing 100,000 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

You guys realize you've gained a big fat loving zero unless you convert your us dollars into cad right?

Cmon all y'all loving forex Gordon gekkos.

:getout: with your paper gains nonsense, the numbers went UP so the profits are REAL.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Crowbite posted:

Today on Facebook

Umm what? Do you not read the news?

Tell them to buy buy buy, the pride of ownership will wash away all their worries

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

You guys realize you've gained a big fat loving zero unless you convert your us dollars into cad right?

Cmon all y'all loving forex Gordon gekkos. Who's going to blink first?

I'll convert it when I buy a house on the west side of Vancouver in cash in the next 10 years or so.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

I'll convert it when I buy a house on the west side of Vancouver in cash in the next 10 years or so.

When you get a sweet dream job with hootsuite data science division right

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
US is just getting going and Canada has barely started to collapse yet. Only when the chickens come home to roost will it be time to bring money back into Canada.

Besides pride of ownership in US Consumer goods ETFs is a hell of a thing.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

When you get a sweet dream job with hootsuite data science division right

That's probably around the same timeframe they'll finally IPO in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

I heard a Save On Foods employee talking about seeing how much he could be pre-approved for on a mortgage. I didn't think grocery stores even had full time employees anymore.

And I'm beginning to hate my job but looking for anything is depressing as gently caress. Last time I had to look was 2005 - things have changed a wee bit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone itt read The Big Short book?

How is what's happening in Canada anyway different from the US bubble.

You have the same unqualified people getting loans to "afford" homes that already have overinflated prices.Everyone that should be providing oversight is either asleep at the wheel or even worse spinning the bubble as good thing since it's creating jobs growth. You have the same poo poo assets being securitized into completely trustworthy "safe" investments.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Anyone itt read The Big Short book?

You have the same unqualified people getting loans to "afford" homes that already have overinflated prices.Everyone that should be providing oversight is either asleep at the wheel or even worse spinning the bubble as good thing since it's creating jobs growth. You have the same poo poo assets being securitized into completely trustworthy "safe" investments.

Because everyone wants to live in Vancouver!

Not everyone wants to live in California, or Arizona, or other places that don't feature the best weather in Canada, a country infamous for bad weather.

Prices can only go up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Because everyone wants to live in Vancouver!

Not everyone wants to live in California, or Arizona, or other places that don't feature the best weather in Canada, a country infamous for bad weather.

Prices can only go up.

Vancouver is basically the lifestyle smugness of the US West coast without the jobs or top tier universities/labs such as UCLA.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Reverse Centaur posted:

And I'm beginning to hate my job but looking for anything is depressing as gently caress. Last time I had to look was 2005 - things have changed a wee bit.

My plan for the next five years is to work something meh for $15/ish an hour 8 months of the year, coast unemployed for the remaining four months of the summer, and thus actually enjoy my time on earth. If labor standards won't give us a reasonable amount of vacation time in North America, I'll drat well take it.

Granted my expense to income ratio is extremely low compared to most Canadians.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
really living the dream buddy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Also if the PCs would stop nominating Mike Harris' corpse to lose one election after another then maybe we could have an election about actual issues instead of a referendum on "is it time to drop a thermonuclear device on the public sector". If the PCs could behave like like their Bill Davis counterparts rather than acting like the Arizona GOP then maybe the next election won't end up being overshadowed by some insane, mean spirited and ultimately self destructive PC policy position like firing 100,000 people.

Amusingly (and not surprisingly), Bill Davis hates the current incarnation of the Ontario Conservatives, and also the fact that Stephen Harper listed Davis as one of his heroes. That's not entirely on the record, but I don't think he'd care either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rime posted:

My plan for the next five years is to work something meh for $15/ish an hour 8 months of the year, coast unemployed for the remaining four months of the summer, and thus actually enjoy my time on earth. If labor standards won't give us a reasonable amount of vacation time in North America, I'll drat well take it.

Try the classic 6 months seasonal labour/6 months EI; I swear half the people I've met on Vancouver Island do the same thing.

If you can avoid getting sucked into the expensive hobbies trap, more power to you.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Amusingly (and not surprisingly), Bill Davis hates the current incarnation of the Ontario Conservatives, and also the fact that Stephen Harper listed Davis as one of his heroes. That's not entirely on the record, but I don't think he'd care either.

Patrick Brown supported the 100k job cuts speech and was present in Barrie when it was made.

The party has adopted the GOP southern strategy and honestly believe that it is just the lying liberal media keeping people from flocking back to them.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round... :suicide:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I'm not blaming the private sector -- though God knows all the money they shovel at garbage "think tanks" like the Fraser Institute means they do deserve some blame -- I'm saying that conversion to free market fundamentalism by most of the political establishment and media creates an environment that's conducive to this kind of behavior. You're very good at pointing out the failures of the Liberals but you're rather quick to overlook the context in which these failures keep happening.

We hardly need to contemplate "full communism' to solve this. The pre-Mike Harris Conservative Party basically created Ontario Hydro.

Hey, if people wanted a moderate conservative option they could have voted for Horwath :) I think Patrick Brown will be interesting. The "PCs" didn't nominate him though. They had 10k memberships after the 2014 election. Brown went door to door and sold 40k. The others combined sold 20k. Hopefully he's that good of a salesman at election time, all he has to do is be not Wynne, nothing special.

Also, the free market, uh, finds a way.

http://firstmonday.ca/articles/sunripe-rejects-buyout-ottawa-grocery-chain-%E2%80%9Cthey-aren%E2%80%99t-us%E2%80%9D-says-willemsen posted:

“It will have a little more of a modern look than the existing London and Sarnia stores” says Willemsen. With LED lighting and a natural gas generator Willemsen says the store will be able to go off the Provincial power grid.

“Natural gas is so inexpensive that we will be able to produce our own electricity cheaper than buying it from Hydro One”.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

Rime posted:

Must be nice, I've got a wife from Kitsilano so I can't do that.

Also I enjoyed this typo from one of her friends on facebook

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

etalian posted:

The massive system of mortgage backed securities that existed in the US bubble but don't to anywhere near the same extent in Canada. In terms of how much housing prices can fall, sure, but I don't see there being anywhere near the same level of collateral damage outside of Canada.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

blah_blah posted:

The massive system of mortgage backed securities that existed in the US bubble but don't to anywhere near the same extent in Canada. In terms of how much housing prices can fall, sure, but I don't see there being anywhere near the same level of collateral damage outside of Canada.

The main difference is it's the government that's painting piles of poo poo gold:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rime posted:

If you want unlimited time off you should go join IATSE as a labourer (or a carpenter/painter/electrician if you can qualify). You'll make lots more than $15/hr and if you can handle long hours you are basically guaranteed to walk back into a job whenever you want. The film industry in BC is actually really healthy right now.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

If you want unlimited time off you should go join IATSE as a labourer (or a carpenter/painter/electrician if you can qualify). You'll make lots more than $15/hr and if you can handle long hours you are basically guaranteed to walk back into a job whenever you want. The film industry in BC is actually really healthy right now.

It's crazy how many folks need to be involved on a major shoot. They did one in a house on my street recently and there must have been at least 20-30 dudes just hauling poo poo around everywhere all day. Then a bunch more of the camera/sound guys, the actors and director dudes, the drivers, food service, security, even cops (they shut the whole road down for basically the whole day).

Major operations.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

THC posted:

I only had enough money to start investing this year! gently caress me :v:

1 corporate shell. 1 interactive brokers account. 1 small business loan, pledge your car or something dumb. take a loan out on the loan in Japan, take it to 5x leverage. You can do it e-trade baby, just like all those day traders in 1997-2001.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/the-most-important-charts-for-the-canadian-economy-in-2016/

Y'all dumb motherfuckers should print this out and bring it with you to Christmas dinner when your loving idiot family rails on you for not buying a house or getting a job

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahaha oil just loving collapsed

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check out @ABaradez's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ABaradez/status/674943039735996417?s=09

quote:

#WTI < 37.00 $

Check out @IG_France_'s Tweet: https://twitter.com/IG_France_/status/674942332001787904?s=09

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:getin::gizz:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Housing is BCs Biggest Industry

quote:

Buying and selling older houses in Metro Vancouver is now worth more to the provincial economy than the B.C. forestry, natural gas and mining industries combined.

NB: This doesn't include actual construction. Just selling houses back and forth.

:psyboom:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

ocrumsprug posted:

Housing is BCs Biggest Industry

NB: This doesn't include actual construction. Just selling houses back and forth.

:psyboom:

gently caress this country sometimes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12040481/The-junk-bond-markets-early-warning-signs-are-all-flashing-red.html

The US junk bonds market yields are blowing the gently caress up. In other words, if your company is bullshit yet because you fantasize about being a captain of industry~, you will issue bonds because no loving bank in their right mind will lend to you. Since your company is obviously bullshit, you will have to issue your bonds with high interest rates to attract buyers. High interest rates aka yields.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/the-most-important-charts-for-the-canadian-economy-in-2016/

Y'all dumb motherfuckers should print this out and bring it with you to Christmas dinner when your loving idiot family rails on you for not buying a house or getting a job

I like how all optimists argue oil and commodity prices have to increase in 2016.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

etalian posted:

I like how all optimists argue oil and commodity prices have to increase in 2016.

I mean, at this point they could drastically increase and still be low as gently caress, so...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

senae posted:

I mean, at this point they could drastically increase and still be low as gently caress, so...

It seems like spin saying commodities have to increase when thing like the OPEC cartel being broken are not going to magically fix themselves next year.

also this graph made me laugh the most, commodities make up 50% of all canadian exports:

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 10, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Canada is a third world country because its economy is based on resource extraction rather than added value services.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Hey, if people wanted a moderate conservative option they could have voted for Horwath :) I think Patrick Brown will be interesting. The "PCs" didn't nominate him though. They had 10k memberships after the 2014 election. Brown went door to door and sold 40k. The others combined sold 20k. Hopefully he's that good of a salesman at election time, all he has to do is be not Wynne, nothing special.

Also, the free market, uh, finds a way.

Patrick Brown was trained by Hudak personally to take over and I cant believe how willfully ignorant you are of the platforms they run on. Tough on Crime bullshit, cuts to healthcare, gutting of the public sector in all the wrong places (never of the useless cushy overpaid upper management positions created to funnel unqualified friends into), right-to-work legislature/union busting, tax cuts for wealthy business owners (I know this one applies to you personally so I get why you like it), the list loving goes on and on.

Hudak also had plans to sell off Hydro One, but it was to be done behind closed doors. He also wanted to sell off the LCBO. Two things you constantly rag on the OLP solely for suggesting and doing. If you think Brown, a man who idolizes such political figures as Mulroney/Thatcher/Harper, will be any different then I think its clear that your hatred of Wynne surpasses common sense and I sure hope that you are in the minority.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

etalian posted:

this graph made me laugh the most, commodities make up 50% of all canadian exports:

This one was my favourite:

quote:

“This is a chart of purchases of Canadian residential real estate by non-residents. Yes, it’s blank. These purchases are not measured in Canada. That needs to change. Circumstantial and anecdotal evidence suggest that these capital inflows have had a large and growing influence on the Canadian housing market, whose imbalances continue to represent a key risk to the Canadian economic and financial outlook.”

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look that info would violate the privacy of home buyers. You all value privacy don't you?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mantle posted:

Canada is a third world country because its economy is based on resource extraction rather than added value services.

My job involves searching for and selling to manufacturing companies in Ontario. I can tell you the state of our manufacturing is loving pisspoor. It consists of a bunch of machine shops pumping out little tubes and brackets with 10-20 employees smattered all over the GTA. These businesses sell small things to big OEMs for over 40 years and are basically contract manufacturers who have no real innovation or engineering capability. They don't move much volume and the profits are enough to make a select few people reasonably wealthy. That's it.

We're a nation of garages that gross maybe 1 million each with no further ambition.

The rest are just branch plants that sit around with their hand extended palm up waiting for handouts from their multinational corporate overlords in the USA, Japan or wherever.

Its hosed up. A lot of major value added, high volume, high value manufacturing moved to Mexico, China or elsewhere. We don't really do much of anything anymore. Only the automotive OEMs and a couple of small but heavy duty manufacturers remain - poo poo like large transmission shafts for oil, large electric motors, nuclear industry piping, equipment and reactor parts and some small scale military stuff like plating or control consoles. Also some energy equipment like gas refinery parts.

That's all we have in Canada. We're a dumpster tier has been as far as industrial capacity is concerned. I get so loving mad and jealous of all the savvy twenty somethings making 30k more than me working for the ad agencies and banks downtown living it up while I'm out here busting my rear end selling to customers that don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kraftwerk posted:

My job involves searching for and selling to manufacturing companies in Ontario. I can tell you the state of our manufacturing is loving pisspoor. It consists of a bunch of machine shops pumping out little tubes and brackets with 10-20 employees smattered all over the GTA. These businesses sell small things to big OEMs for over 40 years and are basically contract manufacturers who have no real innovation or engineering capability. They don't move much volume and the profits are enough to make a select few people reasonably wealthy. That's it.

We're a nation of garages that gross maybe 1 million each with no further ambition.

The rest are just branch plants that sit around with their hand extended palm up waiting for handouts from their multinational corporate overlords in the USA, Japan or wherever.

Its hosed up. A lot of major value added, high volume, high value manufacturing moved to Mexico, China or elsewhere. We don't really do much of anything anymore. Only the automotive OEMs and a couple of small but heavy duty manufacturers remain - poo poo like large transmission shafts for oil, large electric motors, nuclear industry piping, equipment and reactor parts and some small scale military stuff like plating or control consoles. Also some energy equipment like gas refinery parts.

That's all we have in Canada. We're a dumpster tier has been as far as industrial capacity is concerned. I get so loving mad and jealous of all the savvy twenty somethings making 30k more than me working for the ad agencies and banks downtown living it up while I'm out here busting my rear end selling to customers that don't exist.
You should probably move in to a different sector in sales.

Just start a company selling worthless garbage to dumb people in Vancouver because *healthy*.

The dudes who founded Mill St Brewery got rich by naming a lovely beer "organic". Canadians are literal retards. Take their money because God knows someone else will.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 11, 2015