Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Haven't played in a while, but now that Sweden's out... :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcF5FJYKyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I did one of the long stages and only hit 2 hairpins, so this isn't a hairpin heavy rally. It's really shockingly fast for the surface you're working with. Also yeah, just running right along the edge of the snow bank and throwing up a huge cloud of powder is awesome for replays.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

njsykora posted:

- You can set your transmission type to automatically switch from h-pattern to sequential to match the car you're driving.

Exactly the thing I asked for a couple pages ago!

Also, did they roll out a new update right after the first 10.5 Gb one, or did my Steam forget I had already done 9 Gb out of it and is making me redo it all from scratch? Because if so that will make me miss the weekly event for the league.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well there's a few major bugs right now. Championships haven't had their event limit raised to 6, so custom and normal career championships are only 5 events. Manual wiper and light control seems to have vanished, some people have had the finish line not recognise their car in Sweden, the Hyundai has no upgrades and a bunch of the new league options have no way of enabling them on the website.

So not exactly a flawless launch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Manual wiper and light control seems to have vanished

This is false, they work fine for me in game, you probably just have to rebind them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Manual wiper and headlight control is not working before go, for some reason. You can still control them while driving.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Are all the 2010's as pleasant to drive as the new Hyundai? My rear end in a top hat actually unclenched for a fraction of a second doing the daily today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sandoz posted:

Are all the 2010's as pleasant to drive as the new Hyundai? My rear end in a top hat actually unclenched for a fraction of a second doing the daily today.

The Hyundai is wonderful. The Mini and Fiesta are satanmobiles.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Managed to beat our Russian ringer on Monaco! :woop:

Was basically at a dead heat with him going into stage four (top time by ~.5 seconds first stage and ~.8 seconds third stage, ~1.5 seconds off the second stage) and felt like I had a pretty bad run (did a lot of wall grinding to rough up my car, but no serious damage... "it'll buff out!"), but, apparently, was top time on the stage by a solid ~2.7 seconds (AKA: everyone must've had a rough go of stage four). Felt like stages 3 & 4 were a ton better after I could tweak the setup though since the default 205 setup felt super unstable (fuckin' max RWD power on an icy road by default? really?) because the back end was swinging out like crazy; it was also much better for power consistency to drop the gearing drastically since I barely ever made 4th gear with the default gearing, did not use 5th once prior to changing the gearing.

Shine posted:

You'll like it. The finer control you have over the various controls with a wheel is very nice. The Stratos was a pain in the rear end to control with an Xbone pad but it actually feels drat nice with a wheel.
Initial attempts didn't go so hot: couldn't attach it to the proper part (the main top surface) of my desk because the styling of the lip (both on top making not a 90 degree angle for the wheel to press against and the bottom with a lip interfering with the clamp) so I had to do it to the keyboard tray which, obviously, is problematic since it wants to slide in and out (seemed reasonably stable when I could keep it slid in as far, about halfway, as it could with the wheel on it... but occasionally sliding towards me was a problem). The pedals also were at a bad angle (hard to floor the throttle/brake) for my normal desk chair and I couldn't easily rig anything together to improve the angle that was stable enough that they wouldn't shift during use.

Also, I take it the Dirt Rally 1.0 build doesn't automatically adjust steering degrees down at all (seems the wheel defaulted to 900)? Also, is the 1.0 FFB actually better or should I still snag that mod for it? Seemed alright at high speeds (was testing on a lingering Custom Event I had with the 2001 Focus on Finland), but the square right, when going slowly, the FFB got super heavy (like trying to turn a car w/o power steering) and I basically had to stop, turn the wheel 360 degrees, gas around the corner, stop again, uncrank it 360 degrees, and then get going again as the FFB seemed to loosen up again at higher speeds.

Think I'm going to have to buy or build a wheel stand before I can meaningfully use it with the hard surfaces available around the house.* :smith: Technical difficulties aside, it seems like it'll be fun once I can set it up to actually feel reasonably close to driving an actual car.

* On the bright side: then it'll probably also be easier to just hook my computer up to my TV and use that instead of my monitor for racing games since my monitor is kind of small for the extra ~foot the wheel means I have to sit away from it.

sandoz posted:

Most of the cars Group A and later are much more stable driving machines than those that proceed them.

njsykora posted:

The Hyundai is wonderful. The Mini and Fiesta are satanmobiles.
:confused:

Sometimes I got bored (notably on Germany... after an event gave me a random soft-suspension setup before they fixed that bug and it turned out to not only be incredibly composed/stable, but also faster than the hard-suspension, harder to handle default) with the Fiesta because it was too composed and felt like I was just coasting to easy wins; as in, I was literally whooping Master AI without feeling like I was in any danger of crashing because it felt slow/composed enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Also, I take it the Dirt Rally 1.0 build doesn't automatically adjust steering degrees down at all (seems the wheel defaulted to 900)? Also, is the 1.0 FFB actually better or should I still snag that mod for it?

It doesn't adjust rotation, but it does adjust steering lock. The option you want is soft lock in the control settings. I'm finding with that the 1.0 FFB is pretty good. It's hurting my arms as much as it did with Impact at least, there's a good G27 setup on the workshop as well which helped.

E: Finally got to Masters after 58 hours logged, this is obviously the perfect time to drive an F2 car on dirt for the first time. Also now I've reached Masters I'm gonna move to doing all custom championships because a full 12 stage rally isn't something I want to do. I think even an 8 stage masters championship is get more money than a 10 stage elite championship.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 9, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is the first time I've fiddled with settings. I immediately improved my previous best by 13 seconds on my first attempt, and then by a further 17 seconds for that attempt.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
The Polo is full :jeb: and it is amazing. Slower than the Fiesta, but amazing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SealHammer posted:

The Polo is full :jeb: and it is amazing. Slower than the Fiesta, but amazing.

I liked it driving it for the daily, but I still prefer the Hyundai. Also as everyone knows, F2 cars wreck poo poo on tarmac. Without the minor mistake at the end there I could've hit top 3 against the masters AI.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

njsykora posted:

I liked it driving it for the daily, but I still prefer the Hyundai. Also as everyone knows, F2 cars wreck poo poo on tarmac. Without the minor mistake at the end there I could've hit top 3 against the masters AI.

The Manta with no upgrades can beat those top times by 13 seconds. F2 kit cars are trash.

e: Checking again, actually 12.5 seconds.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 9, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Wait, did I get kicked from the league too? I can still see it in the league menu but can't enter the event, my only option is to view the current standings. :confused:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

Wait, did I get kicked from the league too? I can still see it in the league menu but can't enter the event, my only option is to view the current standings. :confused:

Huh, I've got the same problem...

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Same here.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So have they managed to fix jumps being too big with the reduced aero downforce that came from v2 handling?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Qmass posted:

So have they managed to fix jumps being too big with the reduced aero downforce that came from v2 handling?

Define too big, because I never had an issue with jumps. The big launchpads are still mental.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Qmass posted:

No, vehicles still fly a little bit too high/far from jumps.

Not really a terrible trade-off for the general physics accuracy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There is no jump too big. That's heresy.

Every car yearns to fly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'll get 50 yards over the giant jump in Germany one day.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Its not the jumps that I have a problem with so much as the dumb little bumps that shouldn't be unsettling me as much as they are. It's pure laziness on my part. I got used to certain lines that I know I can't take now, I just gotta get used to eyeballing what will and wont bump me up.

In slightly less whiny news, I loving LOVE to hate how scary it is going flat out in 6th down some of the long snowy straights in Sweden. Just touching the edge of those really flat drifts is enough to virtually guarantee a spin and maybe even half a dozen barrel rolls.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i really dislike the amount of jumps at some locations where the calls are just wrong for them. "Crest jump maybe" and suddenly I am in the air for 30 feet. Or even just "crest" and suddenly in the air for whatever distance.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Today's wager event might be even crueller that when it was the Stratos in Greece. Heavily snowing Swedish stage in the 037

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sweden in the 60s Mini is awesome. Just a really good time sliding everywhere.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Praseodymi posted:

Huh, I've got the same problem...

Quinntan posted:

Same here.

Did either of you figure out a way to fix it? Turns out leaving and re-joining the league doesn't work, it just wipes your season standings. :sigh:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing here, sorry.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

bUm posted:

Think I'm going to have to buy or build a wheel stand before I can meaningfully use it with the hard surfaces available around the house.* :smith: Technical difficulties aside, it seems like it'll be fun once I can set it up to actually feel reasonably close to driving an actual car.
Revisited setting it up at my desk and, with a bit of duct tape and minor improvisations, managed to get it feeling pretty good. Tried with PCars and SCE instead of Dirt Rally though since circuit racing seemed more conducive to adapting to using a wheel without mercilessly flying into trees/off cliffs.

Definitely much slower than with a controller so far, but otherwise I had good fun for hours just slowly improving (started ~5 seconds slower than AI around Interlagos, weened it down to two seconds by the end and was crashing significantly less often... maybe 95% AI difficulty is a bit much); least until, awhile after switching to PCars, I decided to try a race against AI and was reminded how utterly lovely they are as I was just rammed incessantly (only partly due to being slow, mostly because they went off course and seek to rejoin it at the proper line which happened to be occupied by my car). :argh:

Anyway, will have to give Dirt Rally a go again now that I have a more stable solution and see how much slower I am here.

jammyozzy posted:

Did either of you figure out a way to fix it? Turns out leaving and re-joining the league doesn't work, it just wipes your season standings. :sigh:
:rip:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Oh, man, the Opel Kadett owns owns owns, even without upgrades!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPOZx-58x-8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Post-release Road Book. There's also a link in there to a Red Bull Gaming interview I took some stuff from.

- There's a patch coming to fix non-English pace notes and a few other bugs.
- Console version will be functionally identical to the PC version and run at 60fps, they're also working on Rally School videos to teach new players how to handle things.
- Once the console version is out they'll start thinking about what to do next.
- Cheaters are being dealt with, people found cheating at 1.0's launch were banned for the rest of the year, and if they're caught cheating again it'll be a lifetime ban. Think it's only an online ban though, so they can't rank on leaderboards or race RX online but can play offline.
- Good loving god what is with that video of the week thumbnail.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

- Once the console version is out they'll start thinking about what to do next.
:smith:

No addition of content until after (well, probably with... they'll probably coincide something new with the console release) April 5th 2016 is sad news.

Good to hear there will be continued support though and I'm sure the next ~5 months will also involve getting things rolling on stuff to release after the consoles. Maybe they'll even be able to pull off another ~monthly release schedule of content similar to their Early Access run.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Hmm, yeah i think i encountered the unable to participate bug for the league as well. I put in my first run, and quit out because i did it with 900 degrees of rotation since i forgot to set it back to like 330 after playing eurotruck simulator, and wanted it to be tighter for my 2nd run, so I did the "save & quit" option, and now I can't continue on the leagues screen, just view the current standings. I suppose it's alright since I at least have a time in.. but not exactly a time I wanted to put in with my comfortable conditions.

Actually, i checked the league website and the time for my first run isn't on there as my official time. I'm not on there at all. I guess you have to put in both runs for it to put a time in, or at least abandon one of the runs and finish the other. Guess I don't have a time now.

actually actually, i am now trying to drive in career mode after playing with 900 degrees of rotation and I am way uncomfortable with that now after just one run with 900 degrees... I guess I have to bump up the degrees of rotation now.

Also I have found the only time that clutch kicking has really been beneficial to me, which is driving the peugeot 205 t16 pikes peak. It just has no power in low revs, including in 1st gear. Kick the clutch and you've got turbo and you get moving. I use it on acceleration out of hairpins, and other rare occasions. I've never used it in any other car though.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 12, 2015

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I'm really hoping Logitech comes out with a cheaper wheel option like the G27 again soon. I had an opportunity to buy it 2 weeks ago for ~$200, and now short of going eBay I'm looking at ~400 for an equivalent setup, for which I might as well just add another $100.

I was finally ready to get a wheel too. Unless anyone has any other suggestions for a wheel setup?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

quaunaut posted:

I'm really hoping Logitech comes out with a cheaper wheel option like the G27 again soon. I had an opportunity to buy it 2 weeks ago for ~$200, and now short of going eBay I'm looking at ~400 for an equivalent setup, for which I might as well just add another $100.

I was finally ready to get a wheel too. Unless anyone has any other suggestions for a wheel setup?

Go to Ebay, get a cheap G27 or DFGT. Or if you're super averse to Ebay just get a T150. Logitech isn't gonna release a sub-$200 wheel unless the G29 REALLY tanks.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

DFGT has been perfectly adequate for me so far, and only paid 50 bucks for it. Though I kinda want one that works on PS4 also, but not enough to pay $400 for it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Just keep watching, they drop to $200 or less pretty often on Newegg and Amazon. I got really lucky last year and picked it up for $166 new (then did 2 day which brought it to $188). This was from NCIX, which I guess is out of stock, since they only show the G29 now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skwee posted:

i really dislike the amount of jumps at some locations where the calls are just wrong for them. "Crest jump maybe" and suddenly I am in the air for 30 feet. Or even just "crest" and suddenly in the air for whatever distance.
left four, bump, into
*bump*
right three
*understeer off the edge*
tightens

I've been stuck in Greece trying to navigate the Audi Rallye through it for a month now and it's downright sadistic.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Some wonky poo poo is happening with my wheel since the update. Idk if it is related to the update or not though. It will randomly become uncentered maybe 20 degrees to the left and I have to exit the game, unplug it and plug it back in for it to recenter itself. Ruined one of the online events since i was wondering wtf was going on starting out with having to adjust that much with no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Skwee posted:

Some wonky poo poo is happening with my wheel since the update. Idk if it is related to the update or not though. It will randomly become uncentered maybe 20 degrees to the left and I have to exit the game, unplug it and plug it back in for it to recenter itself. Ruined one of the online events since i was wondering wtf was going on starting out with having to adjust that much with no damage.
Had this the first time I tried my wheel and I thought the calibration was just being wonky with the crazy rotation it was showing (regardless of direction turned it showed it turning left), but, sure enough, when I went to run I literally couldn't turn to the right. Restarting the game fixed it, but I nervously rechecked the App in between since it was my first time ever using the wheel (outside of initial calibration with the App).

• Locked thread