Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yes because court orders are never overly broad or hilariously easy to get when they shouldn't be (no knock warrants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Greta Van Susteren tweeted that "WARRIOR FOR BABIES" stuff and said it proved he was motivated to attack PP specifically. Her followers disagree.

A lot of them seem to think that his attorney is coaching him to yell "protect the babies" in court because that's obviously a great legal strategy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't he also yell that during the terrors of attack.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Naga Warlord posted:

On second thought:

Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, Sole Justice of the Supreme Court, and Speaker of the House!

First of his name

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A Winner is Jew posted:

Trump will probably nominate like Vince McMahon, or just Vince himself.

Extremely pro-business but not terrible on social issues.

I'm gonna have to vote Trump if getting the New Day on the court is a possibility.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

euphronius posted:

Didn't he also yell that during the terrors of attack.

While being taken into police custody after surrendering, if I remember right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

A lot of them seem to think that his attorney is coaching him to yell "protect the babies" in court because that's obviously a great legal strategy.

"Implicate yourself in premeditated terrorism."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Considering the probable demographics of the jury, it might be.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

A Winner is Jew posted:

An all pro-wrestler court would actually rule.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So it wouldn't help for an insanity defense at all? (Genuine question - non-US citizen here.)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Shakugan posted:

Clearly many of you don't really know what research is. You know that there are computer science professors, right? Well, surprise! They conduct computer science research! They are "research scientists" in every sense of the word. Yes, a STEM undergrad doesn't automatically make someone an expert or a research scientist. But there are research scientists in every field, including computer science. When you're trying to look down on people who misrepresent themselves as experts, it doesn't exactly help your argument when you're demonstrating you don't really know what a research scientist is either.

Okay, i'll concede to you on broad terms. But my point is that the vast majority of Computer Scientists are in fact engineers, and IME that is what CS degrees focus on teaching.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Supreme Court we can all respect :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

So it wouldn't help for an insanity defense at all? (Genuine question - non-US citizen here.)

There's this impression, I think due to TV/movies, that it's fairly easy to get yourself declared mentally unfit in order to get away with a crime.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So are they admitting that the pro life movement is crazy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Changing my vote to this provided Peter Dinklage sits on the bench in character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, its incredibly hard for that to happen, even for people obviously insane. And the ones that do go to facilities that are pretty much prisons until they are ruled sane, which they then promptly get funneled into real prison if I recall correctly.

EDIT: quoting zoux

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I always wonder what the end-game is for the the insanity plea defense. They realize it's not a get-out-of-jail free card right? It just means their eventual prison will have straps on the beds.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

zoux posted:

"Implicate yourself in premeditated terrorism."
Maybe Lionel Hutz felt private practice wasn't fulfilling enough and decided to become a public defender.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It avoids the DP.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

It avoids the DP.

many men do whatever it takes to avoid the DP

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Winner is Jew posted:

Changing my vote to this provided Peter Dinklage sits on the bench in character.
Ironically Tyrion would be the Clarence Thomas of Dwarf Court because he too finds oral arguments to be below him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

What are you guys talking about?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just popping in to tell everyone they should watch the new documentary on Netflix about the '68 Vidal/Buckley debates and the political landscape surrounding the GOP/Democratic conventions. It is fantastic (and depressing as hell considering this all happened 50 years ago).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mcmagic posted:

That is going to happen if any republican president gets to replace Ginsberg or Breyer.

Dang it. I was enumerating the Supreme Court justices to some coworker's yesterday (one of them is applying for citizenship) and thought that Souter was the SCOTUS Associate Justice no one remembers, not Breyer

Of course this just proves that Breyer really is one of the most unremarkable of SCOTUS Justices in the past few decades...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

AlternateNu posted:

Just popping in to tell everyone they should watch the new documentary on Netflix about the '68 Vidal/Buckley debates and the political landscape surrounding the GOP/Democratic conventions. It is fantastic (and depressing as hell considering this all happened 50 years ago).

Isn't that the one where classy conservative intellectual Buckley calls Vidal a queer and tells him to shut up or he'll bash his fag mouth in (or something similar)?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Dang it. I was enumerating the Supreme Court justices to some coworker's yesterday (one of them is applying for citizenship) and thought that Souter was the SCOTUS Associate Justice no one remembers, not Breyer

Of course this just proves that Breyer really is one of the most unremarkable of SCOTUS Justices in the past few decades...

Breyer isn't bad, but he has to compete against badasses like the notorious RBG and Sotomayor. Kagan to I guess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

What are you guys talking about?
The Planned Parenthood shooter whose motive we just don't know!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Isn't that the one where classy conservative intellectual Buckley calls Vidal a queer and tells him to shut up or he'll bash his fag mouth in (or something similar)?

quote:

On a night of riots at the Democratic convention in Chicago, Buckley and Vidal had their own climactic on-air clash. Vidal called Buckley a “crypto-Nazi,” prompting a reaction that still stuns.

“Now listen, you queer,” Buckley replied, “stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in the goddamn face and you’ll stay plastered.” He was nearly out of his chair, inches from Vidal, his face, as Christopher Hitchens recalls in the film, “a rictus of loathing.”

You're close.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Planned Parenthood shooter whose motive we just don't know!

Who what now?

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, its incredibly hard for that to happen, even for people obviously insane. And the ones that do go to facilities that are pretty much prisons until they are ruled sane, which they then promptly get funneled into real prison if I recall correctly.

EDIT: quoting zoux

You will not get sent to prison for actions that a court has determined were committed while you were insane or otherwise incapable of understanding you actions in a way not primarily caused by drugs or alcohol.

Also, pleading guilty by virtue of "insanity," falls under half a dozen different pleas, ranging from "insanity" to "mental defect." The case of a schizophrenic man who kills his neighbor because he was convinced the neighbor was trying to poison him is an entirely different situation than someone with a moderate cognitive disability assaulting someone over a dispute; neither is extremely likely to get jail time, but the process is very different for each person.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 10, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

For those too lazy to google as I just did, I believe it's called Best of Enemies.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man I wish we knew what motivated that chap to shoot up that planned parenthood clinic :sigh:

Shame about these lone wolf mentally unstable individuals.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am very disappointed and upset with President Obama, Chuck Schumer, and other Dems who are trying to pull this whole "No-fly list = No guns for you." It completely undermines the gun control movement by trying to tie it to this list that, as far as I know, how no good oversight or probably even constitutionality.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Mulva posted:

No he basically said anyone who supports affirmative action is concurring with the majority in Plessy v Ferguson, and called Justic Sotomayor directly.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/12-682_8759.pdf

As the holder of a CS degree let me publicly state that we are not scientists nor are we engineers. We are specialized mathematicians at best and glorified data entry people at worst.

Ah, yeah, like I said, it's been a while.

Also, Jesus Christ.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yup

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This guy is really something.

quote:

During the hearing, the judge issued a gag order for law enforcement and the parties involved. As the judge and attorneys were discussing who was included in the gag order, Dear interrupted.

"The babies that were supposed to be aborted that day, could you add them to that list?" he said.

King requested that the judge order prompt discovery in the case so the defense team can learn "the depth of Mr. Dear's mental illness."

Dear interrupted, "You're not my lawyer."

King told the judge the sharing of evidence was vital. "It's rather ironic that prosecutors have not disclosed one piece of evidence," he started.

Dear interrupted, "You're trying to silence me."

King told the judge "I think the problem is obvious, your honor."

quote:

The judge spoke to Dear and advised him of his right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days.

Dear told the the judge, "Planned Parenthood and my lawyer are in cahoots because they don't want the truth out."

King told the judge he wasn't confident that his client was competent to make a choice about his legal rights.

Dear interrupted, saying, "I'm competent."

He went on, "I'm not going to agree to mental health evaluations so they can't put me on psychotropic drugs so I can't talk like the Batman guy."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad this happened so close to San Bernardino so that the hypocrisy of the right is even more blantant and the fact that most Americans see no contradiction that much more infuriating.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:stare:

That whole back-and-forth with the judge is just...:stare:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

blue squares posted:

I am very disappointed and upset with President Obama, Chuck Schumer, and other Dems who are trying to pull this whole "No-fly list = No guns for you." It completely undermines the gun control movement by trying to tie it to this list that, as far as I know, how no good oversight or probably even constitutionality.

Obama's proposal for it provides for an process to appeal the decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've never seen pictures of those two men before, but the instant they showed Buckley's face it was completely obvious that was him. He just has a face that fits everything I know about him.

• Locked thread