Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hey r6 dev can we get the chat character limit raised i mean jesus christ i can't even type a full sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Hey guys, this game is fun.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

El Jebus posted:

yeah it really is, I was super skeptical about it being worth $60 so I redboxed it and played it for prob 10-15 hours in two days. Havent done that in a while. Returned it yesterday and bought the full copy.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I was definitely sceptical too. Turns out it's my favourite multiplayer game this year!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Shotguns are the best. Oh, our two bombs are separated by a wood wall? Well, I'll just make a new door then!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

ethanol posted:

hey r6 dev can we get the chat character limit raised i mean jesus christ i can't even type a full sentence

They're upping it to 128 I thought they said?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goon on goon violence is p. f'ed up.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Removing the :siren:YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED:siren: warning would be nice. The cameras already glow red as gently caress when someone's using them. Feels like the extra warning is a bit unnecessary, maybe even a bit unfair towards defenders. At least take it out of ranked mode.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Gunder posted:

Removing the :siren:YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED:siren: warning would be nice. The cameras already glow red as gently caress when someone's using them. Feels like the extra warning is a bit unnecessary, maybe even a bit unfair towards defenders. At least take it out of ranked mode.

This is the case for ranked play.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

This is the case for ranked play.

Nope.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gunder posted:

It's the same for defenders getting spotted by drones.

I think the warning is to encourage people to communicate enemy locations rather than MASH X TO SPOT. Spotting is for when the enemy's exact location needs revealing, or alternatively, to spook a stationary enemy from his position.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Dunno if it matters to anyone else, but I usually use walk as a toggle but run as hold. However, if you have walk toggled you have to untoggle it before being able to run. Setting run to toggle solves this, though.

I really appreciate all the options for controls and graphics that this has (like both an aspect ratio and FOV option).

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Orv posted:

Hey, sometimes maybe Ubisoft is alright, you know?

It seems like they had to get the game out no matter what, which is business as usual for big publishers. Xmas sales and all that.

Now, let's see if they actually keep supporting the game enough that people don't tire of it and move on before they get to play a (better) working game.

Also, lol at 'our tickrate is 64'... , ... 'positions update rate is actually 30 though'.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, the position thing is really annoying, I've had people literally warp into the middle of the room before, and managed to circle strafe 2-3 enemies without them landing a shot just by constantly moving.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I was playing multiplayer casual with a buddy of mine. We were doing the TDM/Biological container map in the snowy chalet.

Objective is in the bar on the main floor, myself and 2 other teammates go down trying to breach the living room. My buddy is around back and the other survivng member is chasing down a defender who made it outside. Notice the large 2-1 at the top of screen and for some reason thought that was the current alive count. You see, since we had 2 people alive and that 1 had to be the guy outside!!! :downs: I gave my buddy that piece of intel and he makes his way to the ceiling drop point above the bar. He Sledges the floor, drops in and immediately gets mowed down in a crossfire.

Yeah, that 2-1 was the match score. The other team still had 3 people inside the objective while the 4th ran around outside.

We had a good laugh after that.

This game is awesome.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Keket posted:

Yeah, the position thing is really annoying, I've had people literally warp into the middle of the room before, and managed to circle strafe 2-3 enemies without them landing a shot just by constantly moving.

The warping thing is definitely something else. No way someone can show up in the middle of a room because their position hasn't been updated for 33ms.

Also, it shouldn't significantly affect hit detection or lag compensation so the enemies not landing shots is something else as well. Increasing the position update rate will mostly just reduce the situations where someone shoots you before they show up on your screen, which in my opinion is the game's biggest problem atm.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 9, 2015

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Liberatore posted:

The warping thing is definitely something else. No way someone can show up in the middle of a room because their position hasn't been updated for 33ms.

Also, it shouldn't significantly affect hit detection or lag compensation so the enemies not landing shots is something else as well. Increasing the position update rate will mostly just reduce the situations where someone shoots you before they show up on your screen, which in my opinion is the game's biggest problem atm.

The way the game is, im worried lag switches and poo poo are a thing, AGAIN, but after the AMA on reddit im confident all this netcode poo poo will get worked out relatively quick.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can - the options you set for matchmaking also apply to lone wolf (as far as the game is concerned, lone wolf is just a multiplayer TH game with only one player).

I feel like the dumbest motherfucker because I took a look in custom match and it seems to be for only, well, the 3 multiplayer modes. I don't really see anything for customizing a classic t-hunt by myself, but I am pretty stupid.

edit: Ohhhhh the game mode configuration and map configuration options are in options -> matchmaking, I understand, I understand. What a strange place for it to be.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 9, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Dead Like Rev posted:

The way the game is, im worried lag switches and poo poo are a thing, AGAIN, but after the AMA on reddit im confident all this netcode poo poo will get worked out relatively quick.

Having higher latency is a significant disadvantage, one I notice a lot as I switch between Brazilian (<40ms ping) and American (>150ms ping) servers, so "lag switches" will never be a thing.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

I need goons to play with, ive had a extremely lovely week. Someone hop on and play.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Liberatore posted:

Having higher latency is a significant disadvantage, one I notice a lot as I switch between Brazilian (<40ms ping) and American (>150ms ping) servers, so "lag switches" will never be a thing.

Lag switches are like unicorns: everyone's heard of them, but they don't actually exist.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ethanol posted:

Do you guys mostly like to barricade yourself in with the bomb? I feel like I'm way more successfully if I go to another floor and hide until I hear a breach point

Also can you or can't you hear people crouch walking, I just can't figure it out

It depends on the bomb site to be honest. Let's say it's the single bomb, sometimes the room is big enough that it needs and can have 4-5 dudes in it and not be a clusterfuck. Other times, you need to have some guys push out to cover a bottleneck further out, because the room is too small and/or access to it opens up right at the point of the objective.

I personally do like having one guy out as a floater, he can try to ambush or keep busy a squad before they get to the main defense, and keep them busy chasing a guy that doesn't really want to fight. Or, he can wait until things kick off and the attackers are focused on the objective, then try to come in behind and wipe as much of the squad as he can. A lightweight guy like Bandit with a shotgun can be devastating when used for the latter strategy.

That said it's best to only have one guy doing that, losing two guys off of the primary task of keeping the objective/s safe is too much in my mind.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going hunting with Bandit is a lot of fun. Go to typical entry points away from the objective, setup some barbed wire and shock, then either watch the doors from a non obvious spot or wait out of sight. Last night I had a round where I killed all 5 of the attackers without anyone else on my team even seeing one of them. Just make sure you run to a different spot after killing or injuring someone; flanking is very powerful in this game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How exactly does the armor work in this? Is it just more HP / damage reduction, or is there something else going on with it?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BadLlama posted:

How exactly does the armor work in this? Is it just more HP / damage reduction, or is there something else going on with it?

Damage reduction. Though if you have Rook's armor on it give you a damage reduction bonus and a higher probability of going down but not out.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Gunder posted:

Lag switches are like unicorns: everyone's heard of them, but they don't actually exist.

I could do it in bf4 by almost saturating my upload. i only have my own experience to talk about but it was consistent every time i tried. I could hit poo poo and everyone bitched about me lagging.

Anyone know what the various multiplayer ranks are? Trying to figure out where I stand in the herd.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i may be able to play this tonight

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Going hunting with Bandit is a lot of fun. Go to typical entry points away from the objective, setup some barbed wire and shock, then either watch the doors from a non obvious spot or wait out of sight. Last night I had a round where I killed all 5 of the attackers without anyone else on my team even seeing one of them. Just make sure you run to a different spot after killing or injuring someone; flanking is very powerful in this game.

Hunting away from the objective is incredibly effective. Get a silenced gun and just sit and wait. Most attackers aren't super careful far away from the objective so its really easy to just listen and find out where they are and come up behind them. A good strategy I have found when attacking is to have one guy use his drone and literally walk you around the building. Have the drone checkout rooms ahead and just give you a heads up where guys are.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Man, they really need to fix ranked. You can't even reconnect if your game crashes, yet you still get hit with a 15 minute ban.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gunder posted:

They certainly do exist in games with client side hit registration.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

afkmacro posted:

Anyone know what the various multiplayer ranks are? Trying to figure out where I stand in the herd.

Bronze I-IV, Silver I-IV, Gold I-IV, Platinum I-IV. No idea if it stops there.

kalstrams posted:

They certainly do exist in games with client side hit registration.

Which shooters released in the past 10 years have full-on client side hitreg and not server-validated lag compensation?

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 10, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Liberatore posted:

Which shooters released in the past 10 years have full-on client side hitreg and not server-validated lag compensation?
ARMA 2, for example.

Edit: ARMA 3 too I think, but I have played it only briefly and in earlier stages.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 10, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

kalstrams posted:

ARMA 2, for example.

Edit: ARMA 3 too I think, but I have played it only briefly and in earlier stages.

Who actually cares enough about arma to do this?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

I dunno but the reason i barely ever play arma and its mods anymore is because its riddled with exploiters and hackers. You don't really need a lag switch considering the game i already laggy enough for instance, in day z a lot of the time you could salvage your character death by logging out while or immediately after being shot at.. gently caress that poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gamesguy posted:

Script kiddies who play it, eh?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I have been kind of favoring a type of attacking strategy recently, especially if I am the last one left. If they are holed up in a room, plant a breaching charge on a window/wall. Move around to another side of the room (i like rappelling to a window on the opposite side). Blow it and while the noise is going break a hole in the window. Pretty much everyone inside will rush over and you can get a real good drop on them. Did that earlier on a 1 vs 3 and caught everyone staring at the breach hole I created and got them in the back.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

El Jebus posted:

Definitely. I gave up on the R6 series after Raven Shield and was really surprised by Siege. They managed to balance the operators and mechanics pretty well, the maps are interesting enough, and its got a ton of replayability. I wish they'd make weapon accessories a little more interesting but its refreshing to not have to worry about some guy with a grenade launcher under his barrel from one-shotting you every round. Most of all, this game is hard and punishes you mercilessly for being careless.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Played a few ranked games and wow what a breath of fresh air.

Never click Casual~

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Triggs posted:

Definitely. I gave up on the R6 series after Raven Shield and was really surprised by Siege. They managed to balance the operators and mechanics pretty well, the maps are interesting enough, and its got a ton of replayability. I wish they'd make weapon accessories a little more interesting but its refreshing to not have to worry about some guy with a grenade launcher under his barrel from one-shotting you every round. Most of all, this game is hard and punishes you mercilessly for being careless.

I got dumb earlier and ignored an open window boy did I regret that, game is ruthless when you aren't paying attention or rush in. Every match has some moment of OMG WTF it never ceases to amaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

AbortRetryFail posted:

Played a few ranked games and wow what a breath of fresh air.

Never click Casual~

I had the opposite sensation. I went 2-2 through my first 4 ranked matches and the first 2 I had ppl on my team afk / fail to pick operators / do stupid tons of stupid poo poo and i was thinking, "I could have got this in casual and also not had to wait an hour for matchmaking/play a million rounds with these bozos/could have quit if i wanted"

• Locked thread