Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
No Fly List should be public if it's not already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Obama's proposal for it provides for an process to appeal the decision.

That's nice and all, but can't one just be arbitrarily put on the list in the first place? hosed up, if true.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

No Fly List should be public if it's not already.
That's all we need, some redneck using it as a bounty list.

Let people be made aware when they're put on the list so they can contest it, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He seems competent to stand trial.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's all we need, some redneck using it as a bounty list.

Gonna be pretty difficult for them to go a-huntin' with just a name.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

That won't stop them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

Yeah in the age of the internet, when has a name ever led anyone to a person.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

They'd just go terminator and scratch off everyone with that name.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If it's a majority GOP in House and Senate does that mean we will see a GOP president

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

botany posted:

Yeah in the age of the internet, when has a name ever led anyone to a person.

Ol shooty Jethro is sure going to be able to figure out which "Muhammed Arnold" is the right one, or even pick which one to kill out of the dozens that are out there. Get real, he'll get bored before he drives 50 miles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LeoMarr posted:

If it's a majority GOP in House and Senate does that mean we will see a GOP president

Majority in the House in 2016 is basically guaranteed. I'd say the Senate is a coin flip at this point. It's a good map for the Democrats (the only state with a D incumbent that might be hard to hold is CO) and it will help that it's a Presidential year, but they need to pick up four seats to get to 50-50, or five to get to 51-49.

Their best chances are in WI, IL, NH, and OH (probably in that order) where they've recruited good candidates. They've had less success recruiting in PA and FL where there are contentious primaries between a couple not-great options. Maaaaybe they get lucky in MO, but probably not. The rest of the map is not gonna happen.

So there's a chance Hillary wins and still has a Republican Senate to deal with.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Christ Almighty this is a depressing as gently caress thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is 60 rep senators impossible?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joementum posted:

Majority in the House in 2016 is basically guaranteed. I'd say the Senate is a coin flip at this point. It's a good map for the Democrats (the only state with a D incumbent that might be hard to hold is CO) and it will help that it's a Presidential year, but they need to pick up four seats to get to 50-50, or five to get to 51-49.

Their best chances are in WI, IL, NH, and OH (probably in that order) where they've recruited good candidates. They've had less success recruiting in PA and FL where there are contentious primaries between a couple not-great options. Maaaaybe they get lucky in MO, but probably not. The rest of the map is not gonna happen.

So there's a chance Hillary wins and still has a Republican Senate to deal with.

So would you say that if Hillary wins 2016 that 2020 will be a landslide GOP win if she's badherself? It seems like the GOP growth over the past year will mean a majority of her policy reforms will get shitcanned at the house.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

In order to get there they would need to win six of these ten: HI, WA, OR, CA, NV, CO, MD, NY, VT, CT

And lose none of their current seats.

So yeah, it's impossible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Here's the map via Wikipedia:

dark color = incumbent (both sides), light color = retiring incumbent (both sides)

The only Dem senators that are really vulnerable (like in a "Trump does a landslide" sort of scenario) are Colorado and maybe Nevada.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LeoMarr posted:

So would you say that if Hillary wins 2016 that 2020 will be a landslide GOP win if she's badherself? It seems like the GOP growth over the past year will mean a majority of her policy reforms will get shitcanned at the house.
Depends on who they throw at her in 2020. Considering the 2012 and 2016 fields, it's looking GREAT!!! FOR HILLARY!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Keep in mind that this is the 2018 Senate map.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 10, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fishmech posted:

You're kidding, right?

They wouldn't even have to go that far for it to be a nightmare for anyone with a name that so much as vaguely resembled that of a suspect.

Just imagine having to live in constant fear that some random rear end in a top hat's gonna give you a hard time. Maybe it'll happen with someone from work. Or maybe it'll happen out of the blue while you're out of state with your family. Maybe it's gonna be the car mechanic who just ran your credit card.

Imagine the Reddit Boston Bomber ID fiasco, but like a billion times worse. Freepers would set up forums dedicated to outing and keeping tabs on these suspected enemies of America. They'd keep copies of the list on their smartphone, and run every new brown person they met against it.

Think about it for more than like 3 seconds, dude.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Uhh, why does that map still list Sanders as an independent?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Artificer posted:

Christ Almighty this is a depressing as gently caress thread.

Drinking fixes it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

euphronius posted:

60 Republican senators in 2016 election requires them grabbing 6 of the 10 Democrat incumbent seats while losing none of their own (or grabbing more while losing some of their own). That'll be really difficult because there's 7 solid democrat seats in the 10 up for election in the form of VT, WA, OR, CA, NY, CT and HI.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

They've had less success recruiting in PA and FL where there are contentious primaries between a couple not-great options. Maaaaybe they get lucky in MO, but probably not. The rest of the map is not gonna happen.

Knowing the FL Democratic Party they're going to nominate some chucklefuck that'll lose to David Jolly. Grayson probably.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A Winner is Jew posted:

Uhh, why does that map still list Sanders as an independent?

Because it hasn't been updated in nearly three years.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Drinking fixes it makes it possible to keep reading.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So with the Filibuster and veto we are safe from craziness. Good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

So with the Filibuster and veto we are safe from craziness. Good.

Democrats love grand bargains though. :smithicide:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This article is hogwash in so far as it's main point, but it stood out to me because of one anecdote:

Republicans fear Trump could jeopardize control of Congress

quote:

“I think when we denounce him as the buffoon that he is, voters have to decide,” said Rep. Darrell Issa of California, who recently endorsed Sen. Marco Rubio.

:ironicat:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

AlternateNu posted:

Just popping in to tell everyone they should watch the new documentary on Netflix about the '68 Vidal/Buckley debates and the political landscape surrounding the GOP/Democratic conventions. It is fantastic (and depressing as hell considering this all happened 50 years ago).

I was falling asleep and I figured I would check a few more threads. I barely finished reading this post before saying "oh gently caress!" and accidentally waking up my wife who said "wtf" and I said "the Gore Vidal thing is on Netflix!" and she fell back asleep. opened up a new tab for Netflix and searched and bam it is available here too. I love gore vidal and I had watched some previews about this documentary and am very happy to have stayed up way past my bedtime watching it. Anyone with an interest in movement conservatism needs to watch this documentary because it is about the battle lines being drawn in the late 60's

Gore Vidal was a national treasure, his essays about the US should be read by anyone with any interest in US politics, and his novels should be read by anyone with an interest in literature. I'd recommend starting with Creation, (after watching the documentary, just so you can get an idea of how transcendent his writing ability was.) He was almost superhuman in his brilliance and way ahead of his time, for instance explicitly talking about dogwhistle racism years before there was even a word for it.

Most importantly, he also had an absolutely amazing gift for pissing off right-wing poo poo heads.

baw fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 10, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

holy gently caress so much irony in that sentence.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fishmech posted:

Ol shooty Jethro is sure going to be able to figure out which "Muhammed Arnold" is the right one, or even pick which one to kill out of the dozens that are out there. Get real, he'll get bored before he drives 50 miles.

The distance between Robert Dear's home in Hartsel, Colorado and Colorado Springs is 64 miles.

These sorts of racist, murderous shitfucks should not be given a public list of US citizens that have been accused of terror ties without due process.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

to be fair, i dont think this guy is crazy

i think he's just so stupid and angry that he isn't able to communicate effectively

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i think he's just so stupid and angry that he isn't able to communicate effectively

So a Freeper?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Democrats love grand bargains though. :smithicide:
Hillary despises Republicans though, and in the very off chance Sanders would be elected he wouldn't do a grand bargain.

pumpinglemma posted:

So it wouldn't help for an insanity defense at all? (Genuine question - non-US citizen here.)

euphronius posted:

He seems competent to stand trial.
To give pumpinglemma/the thread some idea of how hard an insanity defense is:

quote:

Jeffrey Lionel Dahmer (May 21, 1960 – November 28, 1994), also known as the Milwaukee Cannibal, was an American serial killer and sex offender, who committed the rape, murder, and dismemberment of seventeen men and boys between 1978 and 1991, with many of his later murders also involving necrophilia, cannibalism, and the permanent preservation of body parts—typically all or part of the skeletal structure.

Although diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder, and a psychotic disorder, Dahmer was found to be legally sane at his trial.
Jeffrey Dahmer literally ate people. He was found to be legally sane at his trial.

To get away with an insanity defense, you have to be crazier than Jeffrey Dahmer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

baw posted:

I was falling asleep and I figured I would check a few more threads. I barely finished reading this post before saying "oh gently caress!" and accidentally waking up my wife who said "wtf" and I said "the Gore Vidal thing is on Netflix!" and she fell back asleep. opened up a new tab for Netflix and searched and bam it is available here too. I love gore vidal and I had watched some previews about this documentary and am very happy to have stayed up way past my bedtime watching it. Anyone with an interest in movement conservatism needs to watch this documentary because it is about the battle lines being drawn in the late 60's

Gore Vidal was a national treasure, his essays about the US should be read by anyone with any interest in US politics, and his novels should be read by anyone with an interest in literature. I'd recommend starting with Creation, (after watching the documentary, just so you can get an idea of how transcendent his writing ability was.) He was almost superhuman in his brilliance and way ahead of his time, for instance explicitly talking about dogwhistle racism years before there was even a word for it.

Most importantly, he also had an absolutely amazing gift for pissing off right-wing poo poo heads.

Wow. I actually Gore Vidal was just some Democratic politician... Never knew he was such a fascinating guy. Thanks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thump! posted:

The distance between Robert Dear's home in Hartsel, Colorado and Colorado Springs is 64 miles.

These sorts of racist, murderous shitfucks should not be given a public list of US citizens that have been accused of terror ties without due process.

Maybe the issue is the lack of due process, and not the publicity of the list.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What are the chances he lists his influences?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

Hillary despises Republicans though, and in the very off chance Sanders would be elected he wouldn't do a grand bargain.

While this is true I'm worried about Chuck Schumer making one in the senate when he takes over for Reid and the dems take it back.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

computer parts posted:

Maybe the issue is the lack of due process, and not the publicity of the list.

There's a lot of problems with the list, but I don't see how making it public would do anything but make it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WE'LL NEVER KNOW WHY HE DID IT, WHAT A CRAZY LONE WOLF, AMIRIGHT PEOPLE?!

• Locked thread