Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, ya I can see the Duck Hunt reference there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

they already had been used in some classic space ships and submarines, my guess is to prevent scratching up tables or whatever/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why the articulated stuff doesn't come with the right color pieces for the ball joints. The way they always make the joint pieces gray looks terrible.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just saw a listing on Cragislist for 100 lbs of assorted parts for $2000. Among the parts was a visible Super Star Destroyer instruction booklet... it hurts to know that someone owned that model and it got dismantled and put into a plastic blue bucket.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I don't get why the articulated stuff doesn't come with the right color pieces for the ball joints. The way they always make the joint pieces gray looks terrible.

Cuts down on manufacturing costs if they don't have to do a bunch of tiny runs of connector pieces in every color.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
My wife is on a buy/sell/trade facebook page for our local city. Yesterday someone posted set 3425 US national soccer set for free, so she scooped it up. Got home last night and gave it a quick rinse, looks like everything is in the original box, including the little mail in card to join the lego club. The elastics are all shot, which is to be expected, but still an amazing pick-up for free. My kids are anxiously awaiting to play it.

One neat thing, I didn't look super closely at the players, but did see that they had Canada stickers on them, so I guess it's actually the Canadian national set now :canada:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Zodack posted:

Just saw a listing on Cragislist for 100 lbs of assorted parts for $2000. Among the parts was a visible Super Star Destroyer instruction booklet... it hurts to know that someone owned that model and it got dismantled and put into a plastic blue bucket.

How do people come up with those bucket of Lego prices? I've seen my local Craigslist with anything from $50 for a storage tub to 50lbs for $350 and everything in-between.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tomapot posted:

How do people come up with those bucket of Lego prices? I've seen my local Craigslist with anything from $50 for a storage tub to 50lbs for $350 and everything in-between.

The bargain shopper standard is $5 a pound. People who go significantly above that are just trying to lure the unwary. If you ever see a price below that, jump on it (after visually verifying that it's not 50% megabloks).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A lot of craigslist sellers seem to be oblivious parents that think their kids old Legos are gold. I've seen some of the most laughable prices on there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a lot of LEGOS ARE AN INVESTMENT prices on my craigslist. Open box, missing box, play wear.. they still look up the original retail price and add some percentage because it's not sold anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I see a bunch that are just small tubs that should be $20 tops and people are asking like 100 plus for them on Craigslist.

I think word got around that Legos can be collectible to the point that a lot of people are delusional when they sell them. Sorry buddy your glue and booger covered tub of Legos is not worth 60 dollars a pound because there's part of a Star Wars set in there.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

tomapot posted:

The bad thing about clueless people selling things on the internet is the market price (or what appears to be the market price) is only a Google search away.

For instance, there's someone selling a UCS Death Star II for $1100 nearby. That's $100 less than Amazon.

Plus words such as RARE, RETIRED, or HARD TO FIND make them go nuts and ask MSRP or higher for the sets when you can actually get them for cheaper on BrickLink.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Don't forget the people that go "I only buy things on ebay because its cheaper!" and buy sets for significantly more than MSRP even though they are still in production, stocked everywhere, and often half the price on amazon or similar sites.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There was a An Unexpected Gathering on a local free/for sale page that started at twenty dollars - some moron paid a hundred for it. I'm always amazed that people can't look at multiple sources to gauge price.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ika posted:

Don't forget the people that go "I only buy things on ebay because its cheaper!" and buy sets anything for significantly more than MSRP.

This is the real experience. It's like people heard about bargains some lucky people for when it first hit the scene and think it still is some universal truth.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Ferrari F40 has taught me that all my techniques are poo poo compared to whoever designed this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, it's legit the most insane build I've ever put together.

There's a few details I don't like (the seams on the roof, the front corners needing stickers, using a printed bricks on the engine lid) but that doesn't take away how they did the hood vents, or the running boards, or the flares in front of the rear wheels.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Well, TRU can suck my dong. $65 for the Dr Who set. But I drat well bought it, cause I ain't driving to OKC to the LEGO store, cause gently caress OKC's hell of a highway system.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It's a bit late, but today only Fred Meyer is having a 40% off select Lego sale. Mostly older stuff. Guardians of the Galaxy (finally got the Milano and the Groot set), some Friends and Elves, Bionicle, some Star Wars and City.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
And just when I thought the craigslist nonsense couldn't get any worse

It was a block of text, I have spaced out the relevant absurd entires for your viewing pleasure

JACK posted:

LEGO AND MEGA BLOCKS VALUE OVER $2700.00 WILL SELL FOR $1500.00 OBO OR SEPERATE AT PRICES BELOW EXAMPLE.
STAR WARS REPUBLIC FRIGATE #7964 $240.00
LORD OF THE RING BATTLE OF HELM'S DEEP #9474 $200.00
THE ORC FORGE #9476 $90.00
URAK-HAI ARMY #9471 $75.00
SHALOB ATTACKS #9470 $70.00
GANDULF ARRIVES #9469 $35.00
VIP 37 PCS. #850458 $60.00 AND ETC.
CALL OR TEXT JACK AT show contact info CASH ONLY

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Lego and mega blocks, as in, one lego, and many mega blocks.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

Lego and mega blocks, as in, one lego, and many mega blocks.

Among the photos there was also a picture of HALO Risk so your guess is as good as mine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Daaku Shinsei posted:

Well, TRU can suck my dong. $65 for the Dr Who set. But I drat well bought it, cause I ain't driving to OKC to the LEGO store, cause gently caress OKC's hell of a highway system.

TRU price matches just about every where. never pay the TRU tax.

Zodack posted:

It was a block of text, I have spaced out the relevant absurd entires for your viewing pleasure

Craigslist will never disappoint when it comes to dumb people. I swear every time I look for something on there I will find as many people asking more than retail for something that is readily available at stores as I do decent deals. Especially with lego though. Every time I browse Lego on there, there are tons of postings for things I could literally get at target right now for 50% less than they are asking.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 10, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

It's a bit late, but today only Fred Meyer is having a 40% off select Lego sale. Mostly older stuff. Guardians of the Galaxy (finally got the Milano and the Groot set), some Friends and Elves, Bionicle, some Star Wars and City.

Dammit, wish I lived anywhere near one of these.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gandulf

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

NESguerilla posted:

Craigslist will never disappoint when it comes to dumb people. I swear every time I look for something on there I will find as many people asking more than retail for something that is readily available at stores as I do decent deals. Especially with lego though. Every time I browse Lego on there, there are tons of postings for things I could literally get at target right now for 50% less than they are asking.

For every good deal I've found there are about 50 bad ones. As soon as I see NIB with multiple sets listed I know it is someone asking above MSRP, even for sets I can still get at the store, who just bought a bunch and think they are going to retire on Lego resales. I'd rather hit a couple open box sets, assembled once, because I'm not looking to stare at a bunch of boxes for a couple years I'd actually like to build and display them.

That and the guy that lists his 40 minifigures, individually, and reposts every other day to float them back to the top. Clutters the search and makes it a pain to find new stuff.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Zodack posted:

Last 6 month sales averages on BL:

7694 new average: $153; used $102.
9474 new average: $176, used $144.
9476 new average: $66, used $44.
9471 new average $60, used $44.
9470 new average $58, used 23.
9469 new average: $21, used $13.
850458 new average: $39, used $27.

Most of the guy's prices are straight from the Bricklink current average listing price, bumped up 10-20%. It's not the worst pricing I've seen, but selling in bulk and mixing in non-Lego dramatically lowers the value. 40 pounds of unsorted, unwashed, unpicked, not-PAB-bulked bulk Lego is worth about $400. I wouldn't pay $400 for 100 pounds of mixed Lego and Megabloks.

To clean up your CL searches, toss some "-<word the minifig reseller uses in every listing>" at the end of the search term. I do -360 -xbox -ps4 -ps3 etc, too, to prune out the video games which make up most of the CL hits for 'lego'. Or did, when I had a decent CL app on my phone.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Pyroclastic posted:

Last 6 month sales averages on BL:

Most of the guy's prices are straight from the Bricklink current average listing price, bumped up 10-20%. It's not the worst pricing I've seen

The 30% above average price on the Republic Frigate was the biggest atrocity to me, although "GANDULF" and "SHALOB" were also pretty great.

The whole reason I've been looking around on CL lately is to try and get some good deals on LEGO... which is what CL is supposed to be for, right? Kind of like an internet yardsale? I don't go on there to pretend I'm dealing with someone who is a LEGO reseller just because they can use Google. What's the mindset of someone who finds a set for sale online and thinks "yeah, I can hike the price of this by 10-30% and ask for cash only on Craigslist, these will definitely sell"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually found a really good lego deal on CL and it turned out to be the sketchiest dude. He saved my number and just texts me a picture of every current set once a month or so trying to sell them for like 60% off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NESguerilla posted:

I actually found a really good lego deal on CL and it turned out to be the sketchiest dude. He saved my number and just texts me a picture of every current set once a month or so trying to sell them for like 60% off.

Jackpot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep remembering the GB Firehouse is a thing and that it comes out in 3 weeks, and then I get all excited again. :3:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The traditional January 1st avalanche of pricey sets. drat you Lego.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Look mom, I built a fence out of legos

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I keep remembering the GB Firehouse is a thing and that it comes out in 3 weeks, and then I get all excited again. :3:

I'm in fear of that thing, I just got two modulars used that need complete assembly and I still have a good 30 sets to assemble and figure out how to display from my recent move. My poor fingers are going to be so sore in the coming months, can't say I'm not looking forward to playing with so many legos though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

smackfu posted:

The traditional January 1st avalanche of pricey sets. drat you Lego.

Yep. I'll be buying the Brick Bank as soon as it's released.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yep. I'll be buying the Brick Bank as soon as it's released.

Holy crap how'd I miss the announcement for this next modular!? That's awesome and instant purchase.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QkueMETuvU

I wheel this guy out every year.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Great. I just got over wanting a Lego train again. Now I just spent half an hour looking up sets and realizing all over again I can't afford this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cool that's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Factory posted:

I'm thinking about selling some sets,
Would anyone be interested in an open Jabba's Palace, Rancor Pit, Parisian Cafe, detectives office, and Palace Cinema? PM me.

Just postin' to say that Factory is Good GoonTM who is helping me relive my Star Wars childhood.