Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having Isaac and ??? punish you for severely for having high tears was really annoying.

I think that was in response to Technology 2 being really overpowered at the time, and shredding things. Then Tech 2 got nerfed hard. But yeah, some runs you were flat out screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They threw more at me, like Death's Touch. So I decided to go to Hush and I killed him for the first time.

Hush seems pretty nuts near the end. No idea how I'm going to kill that guy with The Lost.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Abbadon is such a common Devil Room item for how good it is it almost feels unfair.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Abbadon is a real odd one.

If you find the dead cat in a devil deal, just take that and then abbadon, and boom, you've won.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Maw of the Void is phenomenal even priced at two hearts. It's probably the best new devil item in Afterbirth.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

it's extremely cool when you get homing maw effect

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Daeren posted:

Maw of the Void is phenomenal even priced at two hearts. It's probably the best new devil item in Afterbirth.

Seriously. It's pretty much a short ranged Brimstone. That happens to be a damage up stat wise, and forces Black Hearts to drop more often. It's one of my favorite devil items for sure.

VineST posted:

it's extremely cool when you get homing maw effect

This too.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Gunpowder, however, is a cool idea tied to extremely finicky execution.

I'm up to about 700 coins, only about 100 more to go until I can give Lost a serious go. I wish they would show the number of greed coins donated or something before you unlock the Keeper, I can't remember anything.

Azazel is also really rough for greed mode. Brimstone triggers Greed's armor so you don't deal much damage, Greed's hypermobility means you're going to accidentally bump him over and over, and Brimstone's charge means you can't even kill coins that quickly. I think the first time I beat Greed with him I had Epic Fetus :sweatdrop:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having Isaac and ??? punish you for severely for having high tears was really annoying.

Unless you had three orbitals in which case you could just stand still and take all the return tears head-on until homing shots/angels started coming out

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Black Powder is also really weak, the only benefit is the size you can make it. Even Holy Water does more damage than it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skaw posted:

Black Powder is also really weak, the only benefit is the size you can make it. Even Holy Water does more damage than it.

Counterpoint: black powder is the most unique item in the expansion so I'm willing to let it slide

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Toxxupation posted:

original binding of isaac vanilla flavor bros remember: cain was the best character

back when luck foot was overpowered as gently caress and the game was getting to a gambling machine as quickly as possible and just breaking the balance by gettin that dollah dollah bill y'all

Cain was the best, Samson was garbage and if you saw any tear effect upgrades, you knew your next ten games were screwed because they wouldn't show up again forever.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grapplejack posted:

Counterpoint: black powder is the most unique item in the expansion so I'm willing to let it slide

Yeah, I like it. Actually possible to get damage out of it, especially if you have flight.

Also all you needed to win in the old Isaac was Guppy form.
Still kinda true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think that was in response to Technology 2 being really overpowered at the time, and shredding things. Then Tech 2 got nerfed hard. But yeah, some runs you were flat out screwed.

What did they do to it? I mentioned finding one a bit back on Az and it seemed weak on top of being hard to pair with his power.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nevvy Z posted:

What did they do to it? I mentioned finding one a bit back on Az and it seemed weak on top of being hard to pair with his power.

They cut the damage you do both with the beam and with your other tears a lot

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Gaaah I'm at the "got all postits, need to find items" stage of the cheevo hunting. This is pain.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Nevvy Z posted:

This was way back, on WotL launch. It either inherited attack power, or had an attack power that wasn't trash, but either way, it was a constant beam doing way more damage than it should have.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why did I pick up the Bum as Keeper?!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

Gaaah I'm at the "got all postits, need to find items" stage of the cheevo hunting. This is pain.

the endless search for Mega blast

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You know what Technology 2 did to Isaac's damage back at WOTL's launch? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It just replaced one of his tears with the laser while not reducing his damage one bit. So Tech 2 was a massive DPS increase when it got picked up. Oh and the Isaac boss didn't have the retaliatory tears at launch, so Tech 2 shredded him. Then it got nerfed in that picking up the item reduced your damage stat by 35%, and then the laser damage itself got reduced by 50%, pretty much killing it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Is there any point to putting coins into the new Greed Machine after unlocking Keeper?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Tiny Planet is cool with Continuum and Loki's Horns :v:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm in the middle of a Greed run with Lilith where I actually ditched the "copy your pets" power up. I got the Blank Card and 2 of Diamonds and a store with batteries and I now have so many items that it's crazy

edit: I ended up with about 15 familiars and enough damage to kill Ultra Greed in about 30 seconds. Of course the coin machine locked up after about 25 coins seeing as I had enough charges with the blank card + car battery + battery + the habit to make at least 300 coins

Pez fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 9, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

what are the mods people are running that shows all available pickups/precise stats

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Toxxupation posted:

what are the mods people are running that shows all available pickups/precise stats

The mod for the stats on the left side of the screen is https://github.com/networkMe/missinghud2/releases and the items on the right side of the screen is in the in-game options menu.
The "Extra HUD" option to be exact.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess you can't bomb into Challenge rooms from adjacent secret rooms anymore? What a strange change.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Einwand posted:

The mod for the stats on the left side of the screen is https://github.com/networkMe/missinghud2/releases and the items on the right side of the screen is in the in-game options menu.
The "Extra HUD" option to be exact.

no, i know extra HUD, i'm talking about that screenshot that lists every available upgrade chosen so far in the run, it's all on the bottom of the screen

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Super anal pill/PHD discussion here: http://www.twitch.tv/nilesy

He calculated there's a 34.2% chance for a pill to be good without PHD, and around a 54% chance for a pill to be good with PHD. There was a lot of subjectivity of the good pills with PHD, like "Is Hematemisis/Lemon Party/R U a Wizard a good pill with PHD because you can save it to use it when you need it?"

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Toxxupation posted:

no, i know extra HUD, i'm talking about that screenshot that lists every available upgrade chosen so far in the run, it's all on the bottom of the screen

Oh, this one? https://github.com/Hyphen-ated/RebirthItemTracker

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BJPaskoff posted:

Super anal pill/PHD discussion here: http://www.twitch.tv/nilesy

He calculated there's a 34.2% chance for a pill to be good without PHD, and around a 54% chance for a pill to be good with PHD. There was a lot of subjectivity of the good pills with PHD, like "Is Hematemisis/Lemon Party/R U a Wizard a good pill with PHD because you can save it to use it when you need it?"

Uh when would you need R U a Wizard?

EDIT:

What is this bullshit? It sucked me to the middle of the room and then I couldn't move. If I didn't have the ladder it would've just killed me on the spikes instead. Reloading got me out and then I could avoid it but still.

EDIT: I'm glad I stuck it out in that run, I got the Kidney Stone later and 1001%. I guess I'm done until the next expansion.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2015

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I've been doing speedrun streaks where I try to get a bunch of sub-18-minute chest wins in a row, as isaac, with the egg that removes curse of the lost. (and any time spent resetting for a start item counts against the timer)

my previous best was 12. yesterday I got it up to 22 before a failure. holy drat, probably never going to break that pb.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, R U A Wizard is pretty much a negative pill. The utility of diagonal shots is really situational at times, and it flat out halves your DPS.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Black Powder is a worthwhile item if only because it does work on Scolex when you have slow tears and he never goes tails-up between jumps. imo that's literally the most boring fight in the game, moreso than Mask of Infamy with low speed. That fight was a megafucker in the original game but seems fine now.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

I guess you can't bomb into Challenge rooms from adjacent secret rooms anymore? What a strange change.

It acts funny when the secret room has a Greed or Super Greed fight. Probably something to do with how all the walls open up when you clear the room.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IMJack posted:

It acts funny when the secret room has a Greed or Super Greed fight. Probably something to do with how all the walls open up when you clear the room.

Yeah I think it was a Super Greed room now that you mention it. Also on another floor I had the same situation but I wasn't blocked.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Dunce Cap that gives you double wizard shots carried me through the boss rush as the keeper, though, so just because the pill sucks doesn't mean the item does!

To be fair the rest of my setup was also really strong, but still. I spent like 80% of the fight just standing below the middle clump of rocks pressing up, annihilating each pair of bosses as they spawned while completely out of their attack vectors.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Dunce cap is great when you have spectral tears and flying. If you don't have those, some room setups become a total bitch to handle without being able to shoot straight forward.

Does the Dark Room give you all explosive related items if you make it there with Dr. Fetus? I recall earlier in the thread a couple of people saying they had gotten tons of them.

Last night I had a run in the Dark Room where I had guppy's tail, and every chest gave me another explosive item so by the end I had bombs shooting out tear Ipepac bombs that were all mega man explosions that gave me items. So the entire room would die and I would be left with 2-3 items per shot. It was pretty awesome. If I had gotten cluster bombs it would have been even crazier.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dunce Cap gives you spectral tears, though.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
God drat, Incubus completely breaks the blindfolded challenges if you can find it.

I tried the Family Man challenge like two dozen times without a successful run, then got a completely bullshit run where the devil room on basement 2 had Incubus and the next one had Brimstone, suddenly I have 3x Brimstone lasers on a familiar. Breezed through the rest of the challenge effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there any better tactic for getting Mega Blast than just restarting over and over with Isaac in greed mode and breaking the game until you get nothing but milks