Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well I've been consistantly having redirect issues on iphone 6 safari, in which no matter which page of the forum I'm loading I keep getting taken to a series of five or six rapidly changing urls to some scam page.
Later I'll take note of what sites it redirects too, working atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
how come people look at the forums on phone safari instead of the app which is good.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

zen death robot posted:

because they dont want to use the app

oh. well i think the app is good and i never had a bad ad problem with it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

rediscover posted:

how come people look at the forums on phone safari instead of the app which is good.
Most of it is likely laziness/reluctance to use something different than they're used to.

While I'm sure the app works great, mobile browsing via Safari works perfectly except for the bad ads that hijack the page and force open the app store.

Also many people might not even be aware of the app as it's not officially sanctioned by the site and only mentioned in passing in threads like this.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

well I've been consistantly having redirect issues on iphone 6 safari, in which no matter which page of the forum I'm loading I keep getting taken to a series of five or six rapidly changing urls to some scam page.
Later I'll take note of what sites it redirects too, working atm
When was the last time this happened to you?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bought no ads for $5 and have no issues in my life requiring css mods or raising my blood pressure.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Last night at 9:30.

And just now, attempting to browse the forum on my phone got me to ads.themobilegames.net twice out of three attempts to load a page so far.
history also includes cdn.mobotracking.com, spaces.slimposts.com, adtrack.king,com, tracking.applift.com, play.worldbestgames.com, and on redirect several more urls that include "tapit" and "ads" in the name that go too quickly for me to type.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

rediscover posted:

The app is awesome

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The smiley browser and being able to "Fave" smilies alone.. its practically better than using a desktop. No offense

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wish that previous read posts wouldn't load on a page like the app does. Then an option to shows the read posts on that page if you want. That would save some bandwidth for sure.

I don't have the problem because I use the app and adblockers, but I think I'll finally break down and buy the no-ads just to help out the site. Just after Christmas shopping...

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

Last night at 9:30.

And just now, attempting to browse the forum on my phone got me to ads.themobilegames.net twice out of three attempts to load a page so far.
history also includes cdn.mobotracking.com, spaces.slimposts.com, adtrack.king,com, tracking.applift.com, play.worldbestgames.com, and on redirect several more urls that include "tapit" and "ads" in the name that go too quickly for me to type.
Strange, nobody else has been reporting this problem within the past few days, and quite a few people use iPhones to browse the forums. If this was an issue on our end, I would think there would be other users complaining about it too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lowtax posted:

We're actually doing the opposite and going to hopefully try to merge the archives into the live db so search will work on them and everyone can access them.

Do I get a refund.... L

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey so I was on my way here to bitch about terrible mobile ads and I got hijacked twice. Once to the Google store and once to this fake Facebook site that fucks up my phone every time.

It's super goddamn annoying and I get that Facebook one A LOT.

I kind of don't want to get no ads because I'm cheap, I don't want to lose the cute ad animals, and I have this vague suspicion that a one time shot of money isn't as good as constant income.

On the other hand whatever add income came from me prob added up to a lifetime total of 18¢, and I can't take this goddamn redirect poo poo anymore. Like is something wrong with my phone or what? Every time I check the forums it happens at least once, and just now I got the fake book redirect three times in a loving row.

Url is something like
http://facebok.com-[random numbers and letters].com/[extraordinarily long string of crap]

Kind of slick manipulation of the middle part of the domain to snare people who wouldn't know. Depending on orientation the address bar is actually short enough so you just see the first fb.com part

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ps as soon as the page loaded with my new post it did the same thing but it was a fake wall Mart page saying I won gift cards.

E: sorry for double posting, but it also did it again when I made this post, then AGAIN the first time I tried to edit it. I basically have to cancel the page load and hope I can read most of the thread. P hosed up. I honestly cannot use the forums on my phone sometimes.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 10, 2015

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
What devices are you all using?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Also, to anybody experiencing redirects or malicious ads on their mobile phones, feel free to go into your user control panel, the options section, and enable the mobile view.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
LG uuuh, G3? something. Had it for a while now. Model number is LGLS990. Android version is 5.0.1

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lowtax posted:

Also, to anybody experiencing redirects or malicious ads on their mobile phones, feel free to go into your user control panel, the options section, and enable the mobile view.

Durr, forgot that was even a thing. Gonna be weird to get used to.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Durr, forgot that was even a thing. Gonna be weird to get used to.
It's still a work in progress, but I think you will like it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
For example, currently I haven't put ANY ad code in it so far!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Please resolve my bad Dad problem :(

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

net cafe scandal posted:

Please resolve my bad Dad problem :(
I will be your honorary internet dad.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I have used the "awful" app and the "something" app and both of them had problems that drove me crazy enough that putting up with the browser hijacks was just-about equal inconvenience. I don't remember what the problems were, specifically, but I know that at different points I was like "gently caress this" with each and gave up on both of them.

I wish people would stop recommending the apps. Good for you if you use an app; why are you reading this thread?

Lowtax posted:

What devices are you all using?

HTC One M8, chrome.

Mobile view kills the ads but it's big like duplo blocks and I don't like it b/c there's no thread tags and i have to scroll a lot more per page.
:qqsay:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Mobile view kills the ads but it's big like duplo blocks and I don't like it b/c there's no thread tags and i have to scroll a lot more per page.
:qqsay:
Once I complete mobile functionality, I will be taking feedback / suggestions on things to change or add or remove. I was just trying to give you an option to view the site without having to worry about redirects.

Speaking of, I just got done contacting Rubicon and they are (again) looking into it and will be blacklisting as much as they can.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

zen death robot posted:

I use the app :troll:

I use the website on my tablet though.
I use you to solve an endless list of technical issues :troll:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

rediscover posted:

can't post new threads w/ app

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

1) Depends on which app
2) That's a feature

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
For some reason I have never had these ad problems once on iOS.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I will be your honorary internet dad.

Lucky...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am also getting terrible ads on the Iphone. They're now putting some kind of ad overlay on the forums page that I read that makes it hard to back out and into the page because the ad now takes the place of the thread that I was viewing. Turning airplane mode and Wifi on seems to stop the ads, though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lowtax posted:

So this is actually not bad and solves the ad problem, but I wanted to say when I got on a computer it forced it into mobile mode even though I only had "mobile view on mobile devices" picked.
Also some weird overlapping of elements but nbd.

I turned off adblock on my comp to see how it goes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

That was a bug in awful.app but it has been fixed.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, just added a ton of advertisers to the black list. Please let me know if any bad ad poo poo starts happening again.

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

Lowtax posted:

Okay, just added a ton of advertisers to the black list. Please let me know if any bad ad poo poo starts happening again.

It's still happening. Like every 10th page load on my phone.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I stopped getting the ads.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I got hit with a redirect to

http ://149.202.48.247/tracking.php?offer_id=420&aff_id=1&aff_sub=1449788027mb82408389738&source=9100

So I turned mobile back on. Now I feel kinda doubtful about my junk...

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I thought this ad was funny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I thought this ad was funny

Yeah you would.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
If you haven't used the awfulapp in awhile you should give it another shot. It's vastly improved, very quick, and better on your device's battery than the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got this almost a dozen times throughout the day:

http://mobfree.click/xhm/NTY2YjNhODBiZDQyNzA0NDMxNjc2Mg==

Using Safari on an iPhone 6 Plus with the latest iOS update.