Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NSFW that poo poo man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

sick reimagining of goldilocks and the three bears

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

my cousin (he's 12) doesn't like roman because he's a bully. He loves cena

I actually notice this a lot more after he said that and it stuck out a lot during the tator tot promo

He acted like a 12 year old bully

Tator tot

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
John Cena is no different, if anything, he's worse. This year alone John Cena was mad that he lost a match so he beat up a hapless jobber who had nothing to do with it and didn't even attack or insult him and then glowered at the camera like a psychopath; attacked a defenseless tiny aging comedian; helped the Dudleys put a comedy heel through a table for no reason other than he thought it would be funny.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Tezzor posted:

John Cena is no different, if anything, he's worse. This year alone John Cena was mad that he lost a match so he beat up a hapless jobber who had nothing to do with it and didn't even attack or insult him and then glowered at the camera like a psychopath; attacked a defenseless tiny aging comedian; helped the Dudleys put a comedy heel through a table for no reason other than he thought it would be funny.

I agree with this tator tot and that's why I pointed out he likes john cena. The John Stewart thing was beyond being a bully.
This is the first face he actually doesn't like. He always cheers the good guys and despises the heals.

I wonder if this is how the rock was with jabroni and we just didn't notice because of how charismatic he is.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's ok to be a bully if you're not lame as gently caress

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hace posted:

It's ok to be a bully if you're not lame as gently caress

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I agree with this tator tot and that's why I pointed out he likes john cena. The John Stewart thing was beyond being a bully.

Jon Stewart didn't want John Cena to win because Stewart was a bitter old man who was upset that someone might be as good as a wrestler he liked when he was younger. The only problem with what Cena did is that he didn't cripple Stewart.

Coincidentally bitter old people disliked Cena putting Stewart in his place, while young people who don't like being talked down to by bitter old people liked it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Now that NXT at Full Sail is over 3 years old, who would be considered the best/most successful homegrown NXT talent? Discount guys who came from other companies and were in developmental to learn WWE style (Rollins, Owens, etc) or guys who were carryovers from the FCW era (Big E, Reigns). Basically wrestlers who started with WWE after 2012 with no wrestling background.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

Now that NXT at Full Sail is over 3 years old, who would be considered the best/most successful homegrown NXT talent? Discount guys who came from other companies and were in developmental to learn WWE style (Rollins, Owens, etc) or guys who were carryovers from the FCW era (Big E, Reigns). Basically wrestlers who started with WWE after 2012 with no wrestling background.

chad gable is a lauded prospect but as with all things its probably too early to tell

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

oatgan posted:

chad gable is a lauded prospect but as with all things its probably too early to tell

Chad Gable is an olympic wrestler

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also it's weird to have a super specific qualifier for who is a successful PC product because the only people they'd realistically hire would be failed football players, bodybuilders and ???

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is chad gable just Kurt angle in a bad disguise?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Hace posted:

Also it's weird to have a super specific qualifier for who is a successful PC product because the only people they'd realistically hire would be failed football players, bodybuilders and ???

I never hear about them hiring actors. It's weird when there's a huge population of struggling actors, the promo thing might be the #1 problem in WWE and there's a lot of stage combat stuff that isn't wrestling

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still can't believe people think giving Jon Stewart, who cost John Cena the title by giving him a chairshot in the back, an AA was some kind of heel move. Like, my god.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Why is the babyface fighting for five minutes alone in the ring to beat up poor, defenseless Jim Cornette? What is going ON??"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Hace posted:

Maybe I was being confusing but I'm asking who WWE can point to as a homegrown NXT success story. The Performance Center is always talked about as this huge benefit to the company but it seems like most of the callups and success stories that have found a main roster spot have all been FCW holdovers or indie guys they signed and had them spend a year or so down there to figure out how to work WWE style.

Looking it up I guess you could consider Charlotte an example of what I'm looking for, signed in mid-2012, debuted mid-2013, no prior wrestling experience outside of being Ric's kid but has been essentially a WWE-created talent start to finish. People like that.

Maybe I'm asking too early? Guys like Bo Dallas spent 5 years in developmental before his callup.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fat Lowtax posted:

I never hear about them hiring actors. It's weird when there's a huge population of struggling actors, the promo thing might be the #1 problem in WWE and there's a lot of stage combat stuff that isn't wrestling

Because wrestling requires you to be extremely athletic and willing to destroy your body in a really crazy way

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Great White Hope posted:

Jon Stewart didn't want John Cena to win because Stewart was a bitter old man who was upset that someone might be as good as a wrestler he liked when he was younger. The only problem with what Cena did is that he didn't cripple Stewart.

Coincidentally bitter old people disliked Cena putting Stewart in his place, while young people who don't like being talked down to by bitter old people liked it.

Brutalize all smarks with wicked AAs.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hace posted:

Chad Gable is an olympic wrestler
If you look back on OVW and FCW almost everybody good in the ring had amateur experience.

CubsWoo posted:

Maybe I'm asking too early? Guys like Bo Dallas spent 5 years in developmental before his callup.
No, they are doing a lovely job as developmental and there are reports every few months that homegrown guys are not advancing like they should.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2015

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

DynamiteKidd posted:

Roman ha a very particular delivery of his babyface promos -- angled head, smug expression, awkward halting cadence, and a timbre of voice I can only describe as "whiny." It's terrible and I still can't believe this guy ever took acting lessons.

I get that he's trying to sound confident but it comes across as condescension, and insincere condescension at that.

roman reigns is the Samoan Ziggler

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alain Post posted:

"Why is the babyface fighting for five minutes alone in the ring to beat up poor, defenseless Jim Cornette? What is going ON??"

Jim Cornette wasn't 50 years old and also a non-combatant.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lady Naga posted:

Jim Cornette wasn't 50 years old and also a non-combatant.

Jon Stewart gave John Cena a chairshot that cost him the WWE title.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
i always assumed a wwe main event babyface acting like a heel is a haphazard hybrid of what worked with hogan and austin, except austin was meant to be an antihero of sorts and iirc hogan has said that after his initial heel runs he never bothered to learn to work babyface

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mister E posted:

The problem is convincing Bryan to only do that sort of thing. Money's never really been his thing so backing up a dumptruck full of cash onto his front lawn so he can hang around and be an on-screen character isn't going to appeal to him half as much as wrestling again.

Even thought Bryan is frugal, it seems like he didn't really start making good money up until that last year leading up to WM30. I doubt he is set for the rest of his life if he were to retire, and would rather do 3 more years on top in the main event to provide a nice safety net.

He would also seem totally happy in the role of being second fiddle to The Big Dog Roman Reigns as long as he just is allowed to go out there and have great matches.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alain Post posted:

Jon Stewart gave John Cena a chairshot that cost him the WWE title.

Babyfaces (especially company mascot John Cena) are supposed to be the better man. At the very least, "if someone you barely know takes something from you, beat the hell out of them" isn't a very good message for kids.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kevin Owens powerbombing that singer off the stage was a heel move because the singer had done nothing to Owens. Cena AAing Stewart was not a heel move because Stewart had cost him the title the night before.

I mean you can say it's inconsistent with the characterisation they want Cena to have, but we've all watched Cena long enough to know that it was entirely in character.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lady Naga posted:

Babyfaces (especially company mascot John Cena) are supposed to be the better man. At the very least, "if someone you barely know takes something from you, beat the hell out of them" isn't a very good message for kids.

Babyfaces, and wrestlers in general are supposed to give a poo poo about winning the title, and should be extremely mad when someone screws them out of it.

Remember when Roman Reigns just like, gave Sheamus/Authority back the belt a few weeks ago, instead of doing something interesting or badass with it? When that happened, did you think, "Well, I'm glad Roman's the better man"? What you definitely did not think was "Wow, Roman is bad rear end and cool, and really wants to win the title" which is bad because that is what you probably should be thinking about the face going for the belt.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

a retard posted:

i always assumed a wwe main event babyface acting like a heel is a haphazard hybrid of what worked with hogan and austin, except austin was meant to be an antihero of sorts and iirc hogan has said that after his initial heel runs he never bothered to learn to work babyface
A lot is pitching jokes that Vince likes. Cena, 2012 Sheamus, and Reigns speak with the same voice. Rock was similar but being a jokey poo poo talker was his gimmick and he wasn't an unbeatable Superman babyface.

WWE is all hosed up anyway. Cena is not allowed to sell a loss because he'd look like a whiner and instead he looks like a jerk.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can be badass and cool and show how serious you are about winning the title in ways that aren't using your finisher against a defenseless 50 year old man who's several feet shorter than you.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

You can be badass and cool and show how serious you are about winning the title in ways that aren't using your finisher against a defenseless 50 year old man who's several feet shorter than you.

If you don't want to fight, don't step into a wrestling ring after picking a fight with a wrestler maybe?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You're right, Stewart should've cupped his hands and yelled at John from gorilla.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Alain Post posted:

Babyfaces, and wrestlers in general are supposed to give a poo poo about winning the title, and should be extremely mad when someone screws them out of it.

Remember when Roman Reigns just like, gave Sheamus/Authority back the belt a few weeks ago, instead of doing something interesting or badass with it? When that happened, did you think, "Well, I'm glad Roman's the better man"? What you definitely did not think was "Wow, Roman is bad rear end and cool, and really wants to win the title" which is bad because that is what you probably should be thinking about the face going for the belt.

How exactly was spitting in the face of your boss offering you a leg up and then physically assaulting him for offering a handshake a face move though? I mean, it would make sense as an explicit callback to "you broke up me and my buddies" but no one but H ever referenced it. Roman himself characterized his actions not as "this is payback for screwing the Shield" but as "I'M GONNA DO THIS MYSELF MY OWN WAY" which is not a position I find particularly sympathetic.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Needs More Ditka posted:

How exactly was spitting in the face of your boss offering you a leg up and then physically assaulting him for offering a handshake a face move though? I mean, it would make sense as an explicit callback to "you broke up me and my buddies" but no one but H ever referenced it. Roman himself characterized his actions not as "this is payback for screwing the Shield" but as "I'M GONNA DO THIS MYSELF MY OWN WAY" which is not a position I find particularly sympathetic.

Last time Triple H did something like that he gave the guy who shook his hand a Pedigree. I'm sorry you don't remember anything that didn't happen within the last 3 months.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think Cena should have hurt one of the most popular entertainers in America because that's dumb.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Bringing in popular, famous Jon Stewart to be the "heel celebrity" and irrelevant rapper Machine Gun Kelly to be the "face celebrity" is a thing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think it was really cute to have Jon Steward be the voice of the smarks actually.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Needs More Ditka posted:

Assholes suck up to the boss. Real men do things themselves. I'm not saying anything in the last month has been good booking, but like, jesus, do you think cozying up to the boss offering you a free pass to the top is a face move, then?

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

^^ No but that doesn't excuse booking your top face like a toddler who just found out what the word "no" means

Great White Hope posted:

Last time Triple H did something like that he gave the guy who shook his hand a Pedigree. I'm sorry you don't remember anything that didn't happen within the last 3 months.

I get this, and actually shaking H's hand and THEN having Sheamus run in post pedigree would have put Roman in an actual face position. Or even mentioning the fact that "I didn't shake the guy's hand because everyone who does gets screwed" would do the same thing. But no, it's Roman Reigns and he's going to have it his way because WWE is sponsored by Burger King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fat Lowtax posted:

Bringing in popular, famous Jon Stewart to be the "heel celebrity" and irrelevant rapper Machine Gun Kelly to be the "face celebrity" is a thing

It was really bad, agreed.

• Locked thread