Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's so weird the UI seems like it was made just for a few different buttons when my keyboard has so many to choose from..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Cojawfee posted:

I actually thought the pip boy and computer zoom was an accident. Sometimes it just happens to be zoomed in more. Then I realized you can change it. It's a weird feature.

I forgot you can do it on terminals. Going to try to see if that zoom makes more sense.

flashman posted:

It's so weird the UI seems like it was made just for a few different buttons when my keyboard has so many to choose from..

It was designed with controllers in mind. Can't PC players remap in a way that, for example, separates the perspective key from the crafting menu key?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

flashman posted:

not really. It's obviously designed console -> PC but why the lack of consistency for seemingly similar operations?

Why ditch the favorites list from Skyrim?

Why not allow the perks sheet to be dragable, or navigable by the wasd keys?

It just reeks of a lack of oversight or usability testing

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

not really. It's obviously designed console -> PC but why the lack of consistency for seemingly similar operations?

Why ditch the favorites list from Skyrim?

Why not allow the perks sheet to be dragable, or navigable by the wasd keys?

It just reeks of a lack of oversight or usability testing

Favorites are still there, just in a different form.

Also, if you want to cheese your way into item sorting, you can put <'s and >'s in the name of the item. It won't show in the final name visually, but it will sort in the item list like it's there. I stumbled upon that when I messed up putting html code in the name of my gun. Also, you can use html code in the names of your guns. Only looks like it shows up in the naming screen, though.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 10, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I started a new character and took the first rank of scrounger, just to see how much of an impact it had. A random duffle bag in the museum where you meet Preston and the gang yielded forty .50 cal rounds, which is about as much as I'd found in twenty hours on my last character :stare:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

khy posted:

Once I have all 6 of the vendor spots filled, my 4 farmers, and 3 or 4 guards what should I assign the other settlers to do? I have one on a scavving station but I honestly can't even tell if he's doing anything or not since I bring back so many supplies of my own. I know I can assign a couple people to create supply lines, but is there any other use for settlers?

Two pages ago.. I have read that spare settlers increase the income generated by the stores you have set up. No idea if it is true.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

All things being equal I'd probably just want some combination of acrobat's, cunning, lucky, or powered. Or maybe just "Low Weight" since weight of armor affects stealth.

Low Weight Ultra-Lightweight Shadowed Combat Armor
I like Martyr (slow-mo at 20% health) and Sprinter (10% faster for all movement types). But I don't know if or how Martyr stacks. But 50% faster movement seems really useful, if you get 5 by some miracle.

Apparently there is also Freefall, which is the same as Acrobat, on two legs at Mass Fusion somewhere. Negates all fall damage together, but nothing on their own.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Sillybones posted:

Two pages ago.. I have read that spare settlers increase the income generated by the stores you have set up. No idea if it is true.

It appears to be totally hosed. Ive had sttlements loaded with people produce nothing for caps while sttlements with fewer produce lots. You're better off saving your caps.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Dayum, just got a laser rifle with unlimited ammo capacity. Kick rear end.

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome

double nine posted:

I ran into a bug where whenever I was away from Sanctuary the game would complain that there was not enough water and no beds. Every time I'd teleport back and my 16 beds (for 10 npcs) and boatload of water are still there. I don't even know.

I have this same bug. What is the fix?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I started a new character and took the first rank of scrounger, just to see how much of an impact it had. A random duffle bag in the museum where you meet Preston and the gang yielded forty .50 cal rounds, which is about as much as I'd found in twenty hours on my last character :stare:

That and the caps perk basically set you for life in terms of ammo/money. If you're a normal person like me and check every single container you find there's bound to be either money or caps in them. Office buildings with tons of filing cabinets are turned into gold mines. Once you start piling up thousands of bullets you can use those as caps for bartering.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Deadly Mongoose posted:

I have this same bug. What is the fix?
Scrap all your TVs and jukeboxes. Not joking, that is actually the recommended fix.

:bethesda:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm at the Institute and was told to go check out my new quarters. But when I get to the marker, nothing happens. I've tried sleeping there, moving in and out, whatever. is there a way to force the objective to next step?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Positronic Spleen posted:

I like Martyr (slow-mo at 20% health) and Sprinter (10% faster for all movement types). But I don't know if or how Martyr stacks. But 50% faster movement seems really useful, if you get 5 by some miracle.

Apparently there is also Freefall, which is the same as Acrobat, on two legs at Mass Fusion somewhere. Negates all fall damage together, but nothing on their own.

I have some vague recollection of seeing that the +movement gear doesn't do squat in first person mode (a bug I'd hope, so should get fixed). Is that still the case?

Martyr gear would be all but useless to a pure stealth guns build which is what I think this was about. I never/very rarely take damage at all on survival at 53, so I'm all for the utility.

e: If people are looking for a great settlement spot, go to the murkwood construction site. You get to fight off mirelurk queen invasions :v:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
My main problem with the UI is the same I had with the previous titles, and with Metal Gear too, this "handheld device" gimmick for menus you spend half of the game in. Instead of regular menu screens you're forced to look at blurrey, monochrome, zoomed-out versions with unneeded extra animations. I just can't help but think that the menu system could have looked and felt way better if only they weren't so proud of their ability to root it in "reality". At best you go "huh, this is pretty clever" the first time you open the menus, and then just quietly experience the reduced usability for 60+ hours afterwards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

If you really dig the UI, then might I suggest you stop giving a poo poo about other people not liking it. It changes nothing about your experience with the game, but it does clog the thread up with another 30 pages of poo poo arguments over subjective guff.
the Product is infallible. not liking the Product is heresy. let me tell you how much I know about The Elder Scrolls Online

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I'm at the Institute and was told to go check out my new quarters. But when I get to the marker, nothing happens. I've tried sleeping there, moving in and out, whatever. is there a way to force the objective to next step?

X6 is supposed to be outside the door and tell you to go meet El Jefe when you're done. Try finding him or X6. Otherwise it's probably easier to load an autosave than to mess with the console and queststages.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

khy posted:

Is that a mod or which paint job is that?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2249/

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Glazius posted:

It turns into a house when it lands! You even get a new waypoint assuming you can find your way up. Captain Ironsides is generous in victory.

When you assign a settler to a plant, they'll claim up to 6 food value of nearby plants, with a fairly wide search radius. So, 6 Mutfruit or 12 anything else. Any settler working less than their maximum will tend to slowly acquire nearby unclaimed plants, though newly arrived settlers will pick them up in dribs and drabs too. For best results, get all that food squared away and point maybe three-four people at it before skiving off to collect pencils or whatever else catches your fancy. Then you have a bunch of free hands for the scrap mines when you get back instead of new arrivals picking up one plant apiece.

Plants will produce regularly if they're not tended, but untended plants tend to take much longer to regrow, and they aren't added to local storage so settlers can eat them. Yes, just like purified water, any excess capacity will slowly accumulate in your workshop stock, and if you have trade caravans set up, settlements connected to the network can get away without having enough food to support their people.

In happier news, this automatic acquisition also works with defense structures, so you can have an assigned settler guard going on patrol between up to 3 guardposts, and new people don't volunteer for guard duty at all! That's happier news, right?

Please explain the scrap mines comment, there seems to be a mechanic I'm unaware of

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheSpiritFox posted:

Please explain the scrap mines comment, there seems to be a mechanic I'm unaware of

Scavenging stations. They get you significantly more junk for free in your workshops.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Am I doing something wrong? I added the spiked muzzle break for the shotgun but the bash button still uses the stock of the gun??

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the Product is infallible. not liking the Product is heresy. let me tell you how much I know about The Elder Scrolls Online
I love The Product.

Ak Gara posted:

Am I doing something wrong? I added the spiked muzzle break for the shotgun but the bash button still uses the stock of the gun??
i think that's as intended- when you attach a bayonet to a rifle you still use the stock except in some first person stuff

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
How do I get the quests to get Ballistic Weave? Any time I talk to PAM she says she's busy. That runner dude hasn't told me PAM wants to talk to me and I know hats the trigger. Is it too early in the game for me to get it? Story wise I just got told to kill the synth courser but haven't done it yet. I've done a bunch of other quests for that group. Not sure if there's a certain chain I'm supposed to do first?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

BambooEarpick posted:

How do I get the quests to get Ballistic Weave? Any time I talk to PAM she says she's busy. That runner dude hasn't told me PAM wants to talk to me and I know hats the trigger. Is it too early in the game for me to get it? Story wise I just got told to kill the synth courser but haven't done it yet. I've done a bunch of other quests for that group. Not sure if there's a certain chain I'm supposed to do first?

I did two quests for PAM and three for Tom, starting with his.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Seashell Salesman posted:

If no one ever uses it then it's bad design.

I use it. Does that mean it's good design?

I was pleased when I found the feature existed as it allowed me to zoom in a little on the UI (something I value due to poor eyesight and it's a case of a little going a long way, this is on a console though, I don't think it would make a difference for me on PC) at the expense of reducing the immersion of my character doing this on a pipboy they're wearing (which I don't care about). I think the UI is a hot mess in general and loads of issues with it, but this aspect of it actually adds value for me.

Magmarashi posted:

If you really dig the UI, then might I suggest you stop giving a poo poo about other people not liking it. It changes nothing about your experience with the game, but it does clog the thread up with another 30 pages of poo poo arguments over subjective guff.

This thread is 1100 pages of poo poo arguments over subjective guff, why single this guy/topic out?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 10, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

JawKnee posted:

It appears to be totally hosed. Ive had sttlements loaded with people produce nothing for caps while sttlements with fewer produce lots. You're better off saving your caps.

Stores rule because convenience and legendary vendors. They carry 500-800 caps and sell items with top tier mods, which means you can usually unload all your crap in one place once you're done, and before that it's like a second Diamond City. The passive income is pointless, build water purifiers if you want money. It's actually better for YOUR IMMERSION because water is intrinsically valuable and let's face it, who would even be buying your stores' guns and clothing and whatnot? 90% of the Commonwealth uses worthless pipe weapons, there's no profit in gun running.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Techniichan posted:

The axe requires advanced lockpick, but the costume is simply lying on a shelf.
By the way, I got sent to Hubris Comics by a Minutemen radiant quest before I knew of the actual quest from Goodneighbor, and I already had all the junk I needed from the trip there. Don't think I had Advanced lockpick at the time, though, the axe is still there probably.

So I may be the exception here cause I actually found new places because of those "MOMMY THE GHOULS ARE BEING MEAN" quests and it made some other quests stupid simple with the "Oh I already killed them" "Oh I already have the thing you wanted" dialogue options.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 10, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

When it comes to upgrading weaponry are the armor-piercing mods worth the damage reduction or is it better to focus on raw damage increases?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

double nine posted:

When it comes to upgrading weaponry are the armor-piercing mods worth the damage reduction or is it better to focus on raw damage increases?

for high damage per shot weapons probably not, for low damage ones probably yes

edit: I'm generally liking this power armor free sneaky sniper run, but I really really miss my jetpack :(

Zodium fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 10, 2015

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Should I be bothering with anything around Diamond City? I got the quest to clear out a castle but the city in general feels a bit too tough for my lvl 10 dude and it seems the straightest route to that place is through a raider base and a super mutant base.

e: also, does gunslinger perk apply to energy based handguns?

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 10, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All the armor piercing mods are for automatic receivers, which supposedly don't work with the rifleman perk that already provides some armor piercing as a massive damage boost.

Though if you didn't pick it up I guess AP might be worth it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Zodium posted:

for high damage per shot weapons probably not, for low damage ones probably yes

edit: I'm generally liking this power armor free sneaky sniper run, but I really really miss my jetpack :(

I could never use the jatpack because it was bugged so that the smoke cloud remained even when I had stopped using it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

I could never use the jatpack because it was bugged so that the smoke cloud remained even when I had stopped using it.

And you didn't draw a giant penis in the sky, why?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

flashman posted:

Because it was. It was designed with console controllers in mind and when they mapped it for PC they just did a 1:1 mapping and didn't divide up the keys that handled multiple functions.

At least it's not like The Force Unleashed where they didn't bother putting in in mouse support for the menus on PC.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Stringbean posted:

Should I be bothering with anything around Diamond City? I got the quest to clear out a castle but the city in general feels a bit too tough for my lvl 10 dude and it seems the straightest route to that place is through a raider base and a super mutant base.

The area immediately around it and a broad, widening path NW of Diamond City, towards Sanctuary is probably level appropriate. If you google "Fallout 4 Heat Map" you can see what I mean.

That said, being relatively low level and exploring Boston can still be a lot of fun when you're underleveled and don't mind running away. If you're specced for combat (which I wasn't) you might not even need to do much running away. I was surrounded by supermutants on an overpass, fell off and somehow landed in Goodneighbour, which is probably worth going to. More interesting characters and better quests than Diamond City.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 10, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JawKnee posted:

It's obviously designed for the PC, since it struggles to run on the consoles. It is designed for a controller though, which has become fairly standard in PC gaming recently.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's obviously designed for the PC, since it struggles to run on the consoles. It is designed for a controller though, which has become fairly standard in PC gaming recently.
In general, I actually appreciate when PC games limit the number of buttons they use, which gamepad-friendly games have to do by default. Simplifying things is good, and I can only keep track of so many keys before I start forgetting what they all do. Some of the shared mappings are pretty logical, like holding the pip-boy button to turn on its flashlight function. So I'm mostly fine with Fallout 4's control scheme, even though I'm using keyboard & mouse to play.

... but "Connect Wire" being shared mapping with "Jump" is just goddamn annoying. Every time I find myself trying to move around structures I'm building, I end wiring random things together by accident. I'm like a steampunk spider-man, spewing copper webs all over my settlements.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 10, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was annoyed by the control scheme for about 10 minutes until I realized anything that says ENTER can be activated with E instead.

It's still funny that you get prompts like "EXIT : ENTER" though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

In general, I actually appreciate when PC games limit the number of buttons they use, which gamepad-friendly games have to do by default. Simplifying things is good, and I can only keep track of so many keys before I start forgetting what they all do. Some of the shared mappings are pretty logical, like holding the pip-boy button to turn on its flashlight function. So I'm mostly fine with Fallout 4's control scheme, even though I'm using keyboard & mouse to play.

... but "Connect Wire" being shared mapping with "Jump" is just goddamn annoying. Every time I find myself trying to move around structures I'm building, I end wiring random things together by accident. I'm like a steampunk spider-man, spewing copper webs all over my settlements.

I hate that bash and grenade share a button because it's the most temperamental loving thing in the entire game. I very lightly tap alt and sometimes bash as expected, sometimes I throw a grenade point blank! It's a lottery where the prize is not randomly blowing your own legs off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I switched to using my controller after the second time I threw a grenade when all I wanted was to bash with my shotgun.

• Locked thread