Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Keeper + Soy Milk as good as it seems like it should be? I assume the damage penalty is the same, but the tears benefit is way greater when you start out so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any better tactic for getting Mega Blast than just restarting over and over with Isaac in greed mode and breaking the game until you get nothing but milks

Rerolling the devil room is a lot more efficient than chaos if you can get an infinite reroll setup

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any better tactic for getting Mega Blast than just restarting over and over with Isaac in greed mode and breaking the game until you get nothing but milks

It seems like Eden doesn't care about item rarity. I get mega all the time as her.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Welp that room with 4x champion cage can still hit you if you walk in on the side. Good thing I had the mantle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Huh. Something's up with Technology 2. Picked it up on the Keeper on Basement 1 - so there's nothing to interfere except the natural triple shot - and it appears to be putting out fires and also hitting enemies through solid rocks. Like multiple blocks of rocks, even. Can someone with coding skills test that out more thoroughly?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EDIT: nm

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Huh. Something's up with Technology 2. Picked it up on the Keeper on Basement 1 - so there's nothing to interfere except the natural triple shot - and it appears to be putting out fires and also hitting enemies through solid rocks. Like multiple blocks of rocks, even. Can someone with coding skills test that out more thoroughly?

What's going through? The laser or the tears? And are you sure you had no other items? I'm testing it out now, and neither the laser (By the way, Tech 2 isn't affected by his triple shot.) or his triple shot are going through the rocks.

EDIT: Okay, weird. It looks like the laser does go through rocks, even though it doesn't do that visually.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 10, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I have enjoyed afterbirth much more as an expansion than I had Wrath of the Lamb to the original. I'm probably in a minority there, but boy I did not enjoy isaac after WotL came out. Afterbirth has been really good for the most part, as much as I disagree with some decisions.

The most fun I've had with Isaac is right now with Afterbirth, it's just really easy to complain because the few things they got wrong, they got reeeeaaaal wrong in my opinion.

The good outweighs the bad, I just feel really strongly about the bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

What's going through? The laser or the tears? And are you sure you had no other items? I'm testing it out now, and neither the laser (By the way, Tech 2 isn't affected by his triple shot.) or his triple shot are going through the rocks.

EDIT: Okay, weird. It looks like the laser does go through rocks, even though it doesn't do that visually.
Yes, I should have specified more clearly! The laser damages through rocks even though it doesn't go through visually. At first I thought I was firing through a seam but it seems to just work all the time.

(didn't expect it to be Keeper-unique, but I found it on him and he has a unique shot so I figured it was worth mentioning.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, I should have specified more clearly! The laser damages through rocks even though it doesn't go through visually. At first I thought I was firing through a seam but it seems to just work all the time.

(didn't expect it to be Keeper-unique, but I found it on him and he has a unique shot so I figured it was worth mentioning.)

I don't think it's Keeper specific. It looks like it might work with Isaac (And everyone else) too, from what I'm seeing. In fact, I think Tech 1 also has a pseudo spectral effect from what I've seen. Come to think of it, it might be because of the laser "spray" they added to the Techs in Afterbirth.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The same thing happened to me with tech 0.5 as blue baby yesterday.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Crack the Sky and White Pony got buffed: http://gfycat.com/BestPoliticalGermanshepherd http://gfycat.com/ClutteredAnguishedBronco http://gfycat.com/DismalLightBoar

Beams target enemies now and are pretty massive damage if you can use it on enemies that are staying still.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, Crack the Sky is finally good now? :psyboom:

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

flatluigi posted:

Crack the Sky and White Pony got buffed: http://gfycat.com/BestPoliticalGermanshepherd http://gfycat.com/ClutteredAnguishedBronco http://gfycat.com/DismalLightBoar

Beams target enemies now and are pretty massive damage if you can use it on enemies that are staying still.

Back in wotl, crack the sky also targeted things. but it targeted ANY kind of thing: enemies, pickups, even tears. each beam could randomly select one entity in the room to target. I wonder if the new behavior is like that, or if it only shoots at enemies

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Today the daily is a speedrun to the foot. Recommend not really picking up most of the items. D20 in the item room rolled to scythes which was nice.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Jusupov posted:

Today the daily is a speedrun to the foot. Recommend not really picking up most of the items. D20 in the item room rolled to scythes which was nice.

Or if you're a cool dude you can get all the way to the lamb between a shovel and Sheol's sacrifice room.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I got the key parts from sacrifice rooms, was going to be a good mega Satan run before I accidentally exit out and ended it early.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Einwand posted:

Or if you're a cool dude you can get all the way to the lamb between a shovel and Sheol's sacrifice room.

Yeah the devil room at the foot had a shovel.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
For the most convenient (normal) lost run I've ever done, N74C NWCD. Just a procession of going "Oh, that's nice"

eg. The room immediately to the right of the start has a red chest that takes you to a devil room containing Brimstone. Using the TNT crate to open up the secret door in the Item room gives you Pyro. That kind of thing

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't think it's Keeper specific. It looks like it might work with Isaac (And everyone else) too, from what I'm seeing. In fact, I think Tech 1 also has a pseudo spectral effect from what I've seen. Come to think of it, it might be because of the laser "spray" they added to the Techs in Afterbirth.

See also how you can be hit by the rotating laser turrets in Sheol despite being 100% in cover behind a block. On the other hand, sometimes you can also run right through the laser.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Last night I made the mistake of studying a game shortly before I should have gone to bed. I stumbled into a Blank Card + Jera rune combo in a store that had a battery for sale and wound up splitting the game open. Eventually I got Steam Sale and Restock.

The secret room in the Chest eventually was so full of duplicated crap I couldn't pick up fast enough that it was bodily shoving me out the door. I got a bit of video that I need to turn into a gif.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ugh, just hosed up a promising Maggy run at the boss rush, got Dr Fetus as my first treasure room item and made it up to the boss rush in 16 minutes with a bunch of health but I think a familiar was blocking the bombs cause they kept stopping right next to me and exploding and some annoying enemy types managing to get up close without me being able to easily get them finished me off. I bet I will never have such a good start with her again.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Only needed 3 more items for 1001%, those were Censer, Immaculate Conception, and Mega. Had an angel room with breath of life then fought the angel and got the keypiece pedestal. Rerolled them and what did I get?? Immaculate Conception and Censer!! Crazy to get two items I'd never gotten before on the same roll with only three left. Now only Mega!! And I should get it unless I've missed something I don't know.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

My favorite feeling in this game is that moment when you see an item and you just know that things are gonna get good, that "The Dream is real" moment. The Samson with plenty of health getting the IV Bag moment. There's no game that feels like Isaac in that moment and its awesome.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

LionYeti posted:

My favorite feeling in this game is that moment when you see an item and you just know that things are gonna get good, that "The Dream is real" moment. The Samson with plenty of health getting the IV Bag moment. There's no game that feels like Isaac in that moment and its awesome.

This is me any time i see sack head in the shop on any character. It's like a guaranteed breaking run every time. I always bomb the hell out of the donation machine if i can't afford it as well, since i know ill have 99 coins in like 3 floors anyway.

Single strongest item in the game imo.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

LionYeti posted:

I just had one of those in the daily

restock+spare deck+blank card+perthro and 2 of diamonds = Breakfasting every single queue in the shop

For some reason I couldn't get Mega Satan to spawn :smith: the door just wasn't there.

edit: vvv Oh, that makes sense then. too bad, I could have used a good old fashioned 2 second mega stan.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 11, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

As far as I'm aware you can't do Mega Satan on any daily run that's not specifically meant to end with him.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Zo posted:

This is me any time i see sack head in the shop on any character. It's like a guaranteed breaking run every time. I always bomb the hell out of the donation machine if i can't afford it as well, since i know ill have 99 coins in like 3 floors anyway.

Single strongest item in the game imo.

its not super amazing without a spacebar item but still.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd like to take the time to laugh hysterically at anyone who complained about the dark bum nerfs. That item is still disgustingly good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

has anyone legitimately gotten super bum?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Because no sane person would purposefully get Key Beggar.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Grapplejack posted:

I have once, a week or so ago. I had no idea it existed, so I was surprised at the cutscene. Unfortunately I was in Sheol when I did it so I didn't get a lot of action out of him before getting to the Lamb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Super Bum is basically the new meat boy/bandage girl, except it's even more ridiculous/luck-based because unlike meat boy/bandage girl, there's no guaranteed way to get any of the 3 bums to show up on command.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CJacobs posted:

Super Bum is basically the new meat boy/bandage girl, except it's even more ridiculous/luck-based because unlike meat boy/bandage girl, there's no guaranteed way to get any of the 3 bums to show up on command.

won't chaos + any infinite money trick mean, in theory, you will get every single bum?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I've actually picked up Super Bum a few times. But yeah, that transformation has absolutely no leeway, so seeing him is super rare. On the other hand, I've never gotten the Oh Crap transformation.

CJacobs posted:

Wait, is it required to get him? There aren't any achievements tied to him. I think. Unless you're talking about 1001%.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toxxupation posted:

won't chaos + any infinite money trick mean, in theory, you will get every single bum?

Well, really any infinite item setup eventually will net you all 3 but my point was that at least meat boy/bandage girl are always dropped from their relevant bosses (except for the one that drops the horse). The bums are treasure/devil room items iirc so there's way more possibilities to not get them from the item pool than to not get a meat boy/bandage girl boss from the pool of available bosses.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, is it required to get him? There aren't any achievements tied to him. I think. Unless you're talking about 1001%.

Super Bum's not required for any achievements, I don't think. It's just that he's incredibly rare for no real reason since you are almost guaranteed to get him past when he would really benefit you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've actually picked up Super Bum a few times. But yeah, that transformation has absolutely no leeway, so seeing him is super rare. On the other hand, I've never gotten the Oh Crap transformation.
Doesn't that one require you to pick up Flush!?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Flush, E. Coli, and The Poop. I haven't seen those all at once in a run. Not even with Blue Baby.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It requires Flush!, The Poop, and E. Coli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CJacobs posted:

Well, really any infinite item setup eventually will net you all 3 but my point was that at least meat boy/bandage girl are always dropped from their relevant bosses (except for the one that drops the horse). The bums are treasure/devil room items iirc so there's way more possibilities to not get them from the item pool than to not get a meat boy/bandage girl boss from the pool of available bosses.

Eh, I think it's far, far easier to generate infinite items than it is to get a run of four horsemen in one run

Especially since, as you mentioned, conquest can replace Death, and Headless can replace any of them

Literally the first instance I got of meat boy was playing, as lilith, and abusing box of friends with a cube of meat, i still ahven't had the chance with a ball of bandages

Also, i think the horsemen don't have an item pool so can't be generated via the chaos/restock trick, making Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl even harder to generate