Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, saying we should lower ourselves to the level of listening to their racist drivel is the same as camping them. Can you give us some hot insights about the coming white genocide while you're at it?

I'm not the person in this thread coming for the white genocide, mate.

Anyways, Trump's up to 35% in polls which poll-takers stress were done before all of these Muslim comments.

also Bernie's numbers haven't gotten any better in two months but once black people hear about him I'm sure he'll jump to the lead oh god oh god it's not happening ever is it

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-donald-trump-top-ted-cruz-second-hillary-clinton-over-bernie-sanders/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Bernie "don't talk about ISIS" sanders? No I don't think that one is happening.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, Israelures.

So, do you think Trump cancelled because Netanyahu hurt his feelings by publicly repudiating his position on Muslims? Or do you think Israeli security services told Netanyahu to deny Trump entry into Israel because his presence would be a serious public security risk, and they just allowed Trump to make the announcement as a courtesy?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I would like to call for white genocide, thank you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

left without further comment

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think most people ITT don't really care about the white rural vote because it's small and rapidly decreasing (seriously, check out the age demographics of rural inhabitants).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Allow me to further comment: lol Jeb.

Of course, Trump doesn't need to spend money with entire networks devoted to 24 hour coverage of his every word.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

An R^2 of .04, nice.

The most shocking thing from the chart though is that Graham had 2.7 million to campaign with in the first place. Where in the hell did all that go?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Gravel Gravy posted:

The most shocking thing from the chart though is that Graham had 2.7 million to campaign with in the first place. Where in the hell did all that go?

Alcohol isn't free.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ads are temporary, but a 15 minute documentary lasts forever. All you Jeb! haters will see...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Diane Rehm Show today is going to be about trump and the GOP party's internal divisions. Could be interesting.

WAMU will have it at 10 eastern

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “Donald, it was a movie. It’s not like this in real life, but how would you know?” ~ Harrison Ford, on Donald Trump's praise for Air Force One.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “Donald, it was a movie. It’s not like this in real life, but how would you know?” ~ Harrison Ford, on Donald Trump's praise for Air Force One.

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To go back to dear chat there is a difference between competence to stand trial and the insanity plea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CBS News poll has Trump at 35% nationally his highest yet. :peanut:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

Meanwhile, The Onion accurately describes every single person in this thread.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Jeb looks like he's being hammered into the ground by a yooge ball of money and is pretending to be pleased with it.

Sounds about accurate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Add Jonathan Chait to the list of journalists that are still pretending like Trump isn't leading the polls. There is a certain type of columnist that is just hanging on the to the presumption that this Trump thing is just a temporary fad despite of everything.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

DeusExMachinima posted:

You cannot put a hold on someone without there being some kind of (very) rare confusion in the database if they are someone with a similar name who has actually received a court order of some kind that would bar them from buying a gun. It's not a discretionary thing. The hold is time limited (usually to 72 hrs) and can't be thrown down because some unnaccountable mistake of a sink of taxpayer dollars thought "lol they might do something bad someday."

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay

Like, I get that is what you keep insisting, and I have read the FBI website. But the FBI website does not encompass the totality of NICS checks and is not relevant to additional state law. For instance South Carolina allows delay/deny based on "membership of subversive group" but appears to leave interpretation and powers broad. It also allows a hold to be placed on someone "known to abuse alcohol" or who has failed a drug test in the past. Various states have different criteria, and much of it comes down to "judge or law enforcement issues a hold" without the need for criminal proceedings first. Another instance is that the VA could place a [url= http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=006952cf-d1ea-476d-8dcd-f4cca5cbdaba]mental hold without judicial review, prompting the need for legislation[/url]. These are very real laws that factually exist, and I am struggling to find a legal opinion that is substantive supporting the broad view of due process as a pre-requisite for placing the original hold rather than as part of the hold/denial appeals process.

Personally I agree that if there is a legal view of the 2nd Amendment as an individual right under Heller, then there must be substantive due process in place in order to prevent an individual from exercising that right. Based on my lay person observation it seems that there are already violations in this regard and that the prevailing legal doctrine allows for this to occur, and that the no fly list does not necessarily deviate from this already existing understanding. When searching for legal opinions, I generally only find those that require pathway for appeal, and not court proceedings prior. Thus, I am asking for legal precedent for this particular interpretation of due process as it applies to NICS background checks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone in the news had come up with the idea that the establishment is basically waiting until it's too late for Trump to run third party, and once he's committed to the GOP primary then they can turn up the proverbial heat. I can't imagine they have the ability to shut him down at any point, though. He's scraping off all of their obscuring dicta and shouting the meat of their ideology at the top of his lungs. He's tapping directly into what the GOP has been flirting with for 40 years but was too afraid to embrace because it repulses normal people. They're hosed.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Add Jonathan Chait to the list of journalists that are still pretending like Trump isn't leading the polls. There is a certain type of columnist that is just hanging on the to the presumption that this Trump thing is just a temporary fad despite of everything.

Chait will do anything to pretend that his ilk of South Park Liberal isn't responsible for creating the environment of Trump Ascendant, including denying it exists. May his hot takes keep him warm in the winter of Trump Year 01, after the gregorian calendar is forgotten in nuclear fire.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

Zoux why don't you wake up to the facts and stop eating what the media is feeding you if you unskew the data

*farts*

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bushiz posted:

Chait will do anything to pretend that his ilk of South Park Liberal isn't responsible for creating the environment of Trump Ascendant, including denying it exists. May his hot takes keep him warm in the winter of Trump Year 01, after the gregorian calendar is forgotten in nuclear fire.

Since we were talking about the Yale thing in the other thread - Chait went mental about that talking about how it was finally time to acknowledge that PC was well and truly running wild and was entering it's final mutation into full out fascism. Ever since, people on Twitter have been asking him why he hasn't written about various instances of actual censorship in academia, like GW suddenly remembering they have a policy against hanging flags out your dorm window when one kid put out a Palestinian flag, and his response is always some version of a smug "nice to see liberals engaging in what about-ism" deflection.

My point is that Jon Chait is basically the Skip Bayless of political pundits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Well, I also think that liberals didn't do this particular 9/11, I think that's all on the GOP.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Chait is entirely correct in this article. Without Trump, Ted Cruz would have no chance at the nomination because his Republican politician peers have large incentives to ensure he fails. However, the energy that would be consumed tearing down Cruz now needs to be (or is at least thought to need to be) deployed on Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Chait is entirely correct in this article. Without Trump, Ted Cruz would have no chance at the nomination because his Republican politician peers have large incentives to ensure he fails. However, the energy that would be consumed tearing down Cruz now needs to be (or is at least thought to need to be) deployed on Trump.

I dunno why the temporary ascendance of Cruz is now a mortal lock for the nom, or are we always going to talk about how the second place guy is juuuust about to sweep in and end Trump?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

My boss laughed at me today when I said I wasn't going to totally discount the possibility of a Trump win, or even a GOP nomination. I guess what I should have said is that it is not so much about Trump himself, he is just the current symbol for a modern nativist streak that is very real, very dangerous, and has been building strength for a long time.

Edit: even if the GOP knows that choosing him would be a possibly party-ending disaster for them, they may do it anyway because they are rudderless and willing to grab onto even the shortest term possibility of success.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 10, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I dunno why the temporary ascendance of Cruz is now a mortal lock for the nom, or are we always going to talk about how the second place guy is juuuust about to sweep in and end Trump?

If you read the article beyond the byline you'll see that there's no assertion that Cruz will win, just that he could.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The odds I've seen from bookies on Trump getting the republican nomination have moved from 4:1 to 9:4 in just 2 weeks.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Jeffrey Lord is on Diane Rehm right now likening pro-Trumpers with civil rights activists and I'm getting itchy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SavageBastard posted:

Jeffrey Lord is on Diane Rehm right now likening pro-Trumpers with civil rights activists and I'm getting itchy.

Listening as well. Holy poo poo this guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

If you read the article beyond the byline you'll see that there's no assertion that Cruz will win, just that he could.

Well then why isn't the headline "Trump makes Cruz look less crazy". Also the difference in saying Cruz will win and Cruz can win is academic at this point, and means basically the same thing and also stop defending Jonathan Chait!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You're kidding, right?

They wouldn't even have to go that far for it to be a nightmare for anyone with a name that so much as vaguely resembled that of a suspect.

Just imagine having to live in constant fear that some random rear end in a top hat's gonna give you a hard time. Maybe it'll happen with someone from work. Or maybe it'll happen out of the blue while you're out of state with your family. Maybe it's gonna be the car mechanic who just ran your credit card.

Imagine the Reddit Boston Bomber ID fiasco, but like a billion times worse. Freepers would set up forums dedicated to outing and keeping tabs on these suspected enemies of America. They'd keep copies of the list on their smartphone, and run every new brown person they met against it.

Think about it for more than like 3 seconds, dude.

Some guy with an Arabic name got assaulted in a store down the street where I live in NYC, with the assaulter yelling about Muslims. Its only going to get worse from here.

I've said it before, but Trump, and by proxy the entire Republican party, are responsible for creating a more and more toxic environment for minorities for all stripes.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Shifty Pony posted:

Listening as well. Holy poo poo this guy.

Now he's trying to pull the "Democrats are the real racists because Lincoln" crap.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, saying we should lower ourselves to the level of listening to their racist drivel is the same as camping them. Can you give us some hot insights about the coming white genocide while you're at it?

You're a terrible poster.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Well then why isn't the headline "Trump makes Cruz look less crazy".

Because that's not what the article is arguing.

quote:

Also the difference in saying Cruz will win and Cruz can win is academic at this point, and means basically the same thing

Not really, and it's important if Cruz is able to use this to his advantage and win further concessions from the party or build his operation in ways that will make him more difficult to unseat in the next Senate primary.

quote:

and also stop defending Jonathan Chait![

Link anything he's ever written on education reform and I promise I won't defend it, but claiming that something's false just because you don't like what a person says about other subjects isn't a good argument.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Not really, and it's important if Cruz is able to use this to his advantage and win further concessions from the party or build his operation in ways that will make him more difficult to unseat in the next Senate primary.

I don't think the party is going to coalesce behind Cruz. Last thing I read is that they are desperately throwing their support behind Rubio, I think they run away from a Cruz nomination about as much as they would a Trump one.

I'm curious if the rest of the candidate pool is going to start walking back their repudiations of Trump's Muslim bullshit now that it's turned out to be massively popular in the base.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Well, I also think that liberals didn't do this particular 9/11, I think that's all on the GOP.

Is it the GOP's fault that it's a racist nightmare hellscape? Yes. Could it have been without every liberal news outlet and pundit under the sun being willing to engage in some bullshit "truth is in the middle" bullshit and spending the last 30 odd years ceding ground ignoring the groundswell of proto-fascism in the GOP? Maybe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I don't think the party is going to coalesce behind Cruz. Last thing I read is that they are desperately throwing their support behind Rubio, I think they run away from a Cruz nomination about as much as they would a Trump one.

I think you're correct that this is the more likely scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bowe Bergdahl is the subject of, and publicly speaks on, Serial Podcast Season 2 which came out this morning

• Locked thread