Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, what? How does it work similarly to BB? You order your dudes for the next 5 seconds and then it goes to real time with simultaneous movement, to say nothing about the theme, which is military skirmishes. It's more similar to Space Alert (and robo rally? I haven't played anything with programming besides Space Alert) than anything.

Am I missing a game I could be playing instead of giving money to Cyanide?

He might have meant Frozen Cortex, which is from the same devs but modeled around a futuristic game of American-style football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

Also I've heard some mixed reviews on Inhabit the Earth (from people who like Keyflower), anyone played that one yet?

Yeah I played Inhabit the Earth and it was kind of a snoozefest. Had a real AP guy at the table which didn't make it better, but it seemed like a pretty boring race game with not much going on. I'm on crunch at work right now so I won't go in to the mechanics, but the randomness of the cards you get can kinda gently caress you, especially the way end-game scoring works. The age III animals mostly give you points if you evolve your previous animals into them, but because by the time you're in age III people are likely rocketing through the map it's unlikely that you'll have the time to find an animal that fits how you've played to score max. points while also being able to evolve your animal into that kind of animal.

At the same time, it's not so unlikely that someone else at the table won't happen to draw an animal that gives them like 7 points, a huge swing in the late game.

Basically Inherit the Earth has one of the most common problems in Euros that try too hard not to hurt anyone's feelings, which is scoring that might as well be random due to the obfuscatory nature of bonuses awarded near the end of the game.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do actually have Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition in my Steam library, but man it plays slow. Not that BB was the fastest-paced game to begin with, but I think it just works better tabletop.

I did look at Kaosball, but it's got that CMON forced goofiness that always bugs me. There's a panda player, and his name is Panda Monium! Get it?

On top of that, the teams don't seem that interesting. You've got generic blockers, generic runners, and some star players you get through a random draft that aren't team specific. There doesn't seem to be that BB sense of your guys being a team of people you assembled based on strengths and weaknesses and playstyle; you've just got generics and whatever unique dudes happened to show up that day. The team itself will have some general abilities, but that's it.

Gutter Owl posted:

Look, if we're all very lucky, GW will collapse soon, Fantasy Flight will buy all their IP, and we'll finally get the shiny new tabletop edition we deserve.
God, I wish. While I'd love a BB game with FFG's production values, if they did get the license they'd probably make it an LCG or something.

e: I've been looking at GuildBall, which is a skirmish-style take on the genre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

God, I wish. While I'd love a BB game with FFG's production values, if they did get the license they'd probably make it an LCG or something.

What makes you think that? They haven't done it with any of the other existing GW games they've acquired.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

What makes you think that? They haven't done it with any of the other existing GW games they've acquired.
FFG just looks like it's going more in that direction lately to me. They seem to be going more card games than mini-laden games.

I mean, I'm not saying a Blood Bowl LCG would be bad. I'd be perfectly okay with it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My Dead of Winter rage was slightly tempered by the fact that Galaxy Trucker ranked one spot better.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SilverMike posted:

He might have meant Frozen Cortex, which is from the same devs but modeled around a futuristic game of American-style football.

This is correct, I am dumb. I think FC focuses more on updating the design than on the funny theme a la Blood Bowl, for better or worse.

Evil Mastermind posted:

FFG just looks like it's going more in that direction lately to me. They seem to be going more card games than mini-laden games.

I mean, I'm not saying a Blood Bowl LCG would be bad. I'd be perfectly okay with it.
They did already make a Blood Bowl card game, after all!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just want a decent American football game in general

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for evolution suggestions, will peruse them on YouTube soon!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5740/strat-o-matic-pro-football

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17851/pizza-box-football

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5637/apba-pro-football

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/95105/1st-goal

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Speaking of sports games, anyone have opinions on either that Bottom of the 9th game or Baseball Highlights 2045?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

StashAugustine posted:

Don't get this one if you want decent. It's basically a series of 50/50 flips with some dice luck thrown in for good measure. You call various Run or Pass defenses and if you get it wrong you usually give up a 1st down even if you called one of the moderate defenses.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Okay, disregard that. I haven't played it myself but I had heard alright things about it. Guess that's coming off my list as well.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of their releases from the past year, Battlelore, Descent, X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault are all heavily miniatures-based. Forbidden Stars, Fury of Dracula, Cave Troll, Runebound, are large-footprint games that feature some miniatures. Star Wars Rebellion will be another. Fury of Dracula is also a revised-but-faithful reimplementation of a defunct GW title.

The only titles that they've "cardified" are Warhammer Quest and Blood Bowl Team Manager, and that's mainly because GW hasn't given them rights to the originals for various GW reasons. Possibly because the original licenses are being monetized by Rodeo Games and Cyanide.

Also, according to FFG staff at GAMA Trade Show this past year, they're trying to keep active LCGs capped at a certain number, because they risk oversaturation. That's why they retired Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulhu, and why they declined to purchase the rights to Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
OK thread I feel like I've got a shitload of good euros on my shelf and probably am not going to buy another mediumweight euro for a while because I basically got the good ones now. It's only expensive imports of Food Chain Magnate and probably contributing to kickstarters for the reprint of Arkwright when that comes out. So now I'm asking a broader question: What are the best, simpler ameritrash games?

My roommate/friend from college wants to get Zombicide and man I'll play it if he gets it but my heart isn't in it because of the randomness (and I disagree with a majority of the design decisions.) I want maybe co-ops with nice presentation or miniatures games with big ol' appealing themes. Don't want it to be too random, but do want it to be accessible and like goofy fun.

edit: also I already have Mage Knight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

The only titles that they've "cardified" are Warhammer Quest and Blood Bowl Team Manager, and that's mainly because GW hasn't given them rights to the originals for various GW reasons. Possibly because the original licenses are being monetized by Rodeo Games and Cyanide.
Yeah, I was looking at Blood Bowl II on Steam and it looks like they actually have an in-game microtransactions store of some sort on a loving $45 game. :thumbsup:

quote:

Also, according to FFG staff at GAMA Trade Show this past year, they're trying to keep active LCGs capped at a certain number, because they risk oversaturation. That's why they retired Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulhu, and why they declined to purchase the rights to Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.
Speaking as someone who played a loving ton of TES back in the day: they made the correct choice.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Of their releases from the past year, Battlelore, Descent, X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault are all heavily miniatures-based. Forbidden Stars, Fury of Dracula, Cave Troll, Runebound, are large-footprint games that feature some miniatures. Star Wars Rebellion will be another. Fury of Dracula is also a revised-but-faithful reimplementation of a defunct GW title.

In my totally selfish opinion (IMTSO), I think they should have grabbed V:TES and the world probably doesn't need all three of AGoT/WH40k/SW. Maybe merge WH40K and Star Wars :getin:. I apologize to those who play both WH40k and SW

e:

Impermanent posted:

OK thread I feel like I've got a shitload of good euros on my shelf and probably am not going to buy another mediumweight euro for a while because I basically got the good ones now. It's only expensive imports of Food Chain Magnate and probably contributing to kickstarters for the reprint of Arkwright when that comes out. So now I'm asking a broader question: What are the best, simpler ameritrash games?

My roommate/friend from college wants to get Zombicide and man I'll play it if he gets it but my heart isn't in it because of the randomness (and I disagree with a majority of the design decisions.) I want maybe co-ops with nice presentation or miniatures games with big ol' appealing themes. Don't want it to be too random, but do want it to be accessible and like goofy fun.

edit: also I already have Mage Knight.

Legendary Encounters: Alien, Eldritch Horror, Claustrophobia, X-Wing miniatures, BSG, FFG LCGs/Doomtown, ImpAss. The last 3 are a bit heavier.

I don't know, is TGlooper Ameritrash? Chaos in the Old World, Kemet?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 10, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any sleeves like the KMC Perfect Fit for nonstandard card sizes?

All the sleeves I've seen that are nonstandard are larger, or like lovely penny sleeves.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The only thing Ameritrash about Kemet is minis and direct conflict. The mechanics are all solidly euro in an Ameritrash skin. Buy Kemet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The only thing Ameritrash about Kemet is minis and direct conflict. The mechanics are all solidly euro in an Ameritrash skin. Buy Kemet.

This is a good suggestion but I already own Kemet.

EBag
May 18, 2006

quantum is a pretty good distilled space combat game, can be pretty snowball-y but it usually plays fast enough that it doesn't matter and coming up with cool ship power/card ability combos can be a lot of fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gutter Owl posted:

I wonder if this means something is on the chopping block for L5R when it comes out in 2 years, unless COC was supposed to be that particular lamb.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The best way to play this is with a lonely FBI agent working through marital problems

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

canyoneer posted:

The best way to play this is with a lonely FBI agent working through marital problems

I understood this reference

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Impermanent posted:

What are the best, simpler ameritrash games?

From 2015: Mysterium, Blood Rage, Dark Moon (only if you don't have BSG and are ok with traitor games)
Older: Eclipse, Space Alert (not really ameritrash but it's not a euro either and man is it thematic!), Chaos in the Old World

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want a seriously full on Ameritrash, check out Arcadia Quest. Minis, pure dice combat, etc. It's actually a great dungeon crawler too, if your group would like something like D&D light. It's also a million times better than Zombicide.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 10, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really think Argent's complexity is vastly overstated. If you can play Kemet and Ciotw you can play Argent, so I would keep it in mind as an option (especially if your friend has experience with some other WPs).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder if this means something is on the chopping block for L5R when it comes out in 2 years, unless COC was supposed to be that particular lamb.

Lord of the Rings, probably. They'll have done enough with it by that point.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah, lore-wise they're gonna have to start breaking into some Children of Hurin poo poo at this point if they want to continue making new stuff anyway.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have any 2 player games, but a friend recently asked about them. I'm going to recommend Jaipur and Morels based on what I've heard. What are some opinions about those, and can anyone think of better games that are tuned specifically to two players and are in and around 20 bucks USD + or - 10?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

7 Wonders Duel just came out and it's really good. $20 most places.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
FFG's contract with GW specifically disallows the former company from making miniatures that would even be remotely compatible with GW games. This is why you won't see an FFG Blood Bowl that actually looks or plays like Blood Bowl, why you won't see FFG minis for the RPGs, why Relic uses character busts instead of pawns (something that, even in their current form, nearly got them into trouble), and why Forbidden Stars uses flags and fleets instead of dudes and ships (especially when Starcraft worked perfectly fine with dudes and ships).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Was the end-boss as tough as people say? What did you think of the graphics in the ending cinematic?

My own opinion on this is that I saw the Chancellor "twist" coming a mile away, and found his boss fight to be gimmiky and boring. He clearly telegraphs all of his attacks by yawning first, and the deck shuffling is more confusing than anything. A huge let-down after the Witch battle. Also the Village levels got super repetitive after a while, and mostly seemed pointless. I'd buy the DLC, but the base game is a solid C+.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

FFG's contract with GW specifically disallows the former company from making miniatures that would even be remotely compatible with GW games. This is why you won't see an FFG Blood Bowl that actually looks or plays like Blood Bowl, why you won't see FFG minis for the RPGs, why Relic uses character busts instead of pawns (something that, even in their current form, nearly got them into trouble), and why Forbidden Stars uses flags and fleets instead of dudes and ships (especially when Starcraft worked perfectly fine with dudes and ships).

Yeah, that's why GW needs to drown first.

(Either that, or FFG could publish the game with cardboard standees, because gently caress the miniatures.)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I wish every game that currently has miniatures came with cardboard standees instead and shaved some number of dollars off the price.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cardboard chits are the way, truth, and life

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Lord of the Rings, probably. They'll have done enough with it by that point.

I dunno, it's a huge seller and they're already pretty much spinning stuff out of whole cloth anyway. They've been quietly inventing characters for it for ages, and the next cycle is going to territory much less written about. Plus I believe it's a favourite of Christian Petersen. Maybe it'll be Star Wars, how big is that anyway?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Lord of the Rings doesn't compete with their other LCGs anyway as its not competitive. There was no chance I was going to pick up Game of Thrones 2ed regardless of how good it was as I'm too heavily into Netrunner and also have Warhammer: Invasion, Doomtown and Conquest - I'd really have to get rid of stuff to justify a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Single Tight Female posted:

I dunno, it's a huge seller and they're already pretty much spinning stuff out of whole cloth anyway. They've been quietly inventing characters for it for ages, and the next cycle is going to territory much less written about. Plus I believe it's a favourite of Christian Petersen. Maybe it'll be Star Wars, how big is that anyway?

Apparently Star Wars is a big seller despite the apparent lack of a competitive community (compared to Netrunner and AGoT).