Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd buy it.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/5351215131.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Some mad scientist has swapped a Subaru 3.0 liter H-6 into a freaking Vanagon:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It would be a bad idea to trade my car (that I'm not finished paying for) that works for this, right?

I'd want to swap out that engine for something else at some point since those G60 superchargers are guaranteed to fail every 40k.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He says "just needs A/C hooked up" because on an H6 conversion there is absolutely NO ROOM left for the compressor in that tiny vanagon engine bay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Casualty posted:

Some mad scientist has swapped a Subaru 3.0 liter H-6 into a freaking Vanagon:

I don't know if I would call it common, but I've heard of that being done for years. Wouldn't be my first choice for an engine as that H6 wants premium, but I guess there isn't a ton of choice although I have to think a generic Subaru 2.5 has to be light years better than the VW anchor and be easier to put in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

I'd want to swap out that engine for something else at some point since those G60 superchargers are guaranteed to fail every 40k.

Yeah, they aren't nicknamed the Gfixme for nothing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

slidebite posted:

I don't know if I would call it common, but I've heard of that being done for years. Wouldn't be my first choice for an engine as that H6 wants premium, but I guess there isn't a ton of choice although I have to think a generic Subaru 2.5 has to be light years better than the VW anchor and be easier to put in.

The 3.3 from an svx was a common swap for a long time since it was kinda easy to find them in junked svxs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's the 3.3L SVX engine in that van. And it's not unheard of for people to swap them into Vanagons.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I would drive the gently caress out of that Aspen.

Not to mention with the indestructible slant six you could turbo it to the goddamn moon.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

1500quidporsche posted:

That's the 3.3L SVX engine in that van. And it's not unheard of for people to swap them into Vanagons.

Ya learn something new every day :) I hadn't heard of this before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The 3.3 from an svx was a common swap for a long time since it was kinda easy to find them in junked svxs.

gently caress... junked SVX are common?
I didn't know they made that many. They're a rarity around these parts.

I did see this the other day though

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Rusty, but I haven't come across many of these.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

keyword Zombie?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress... junked SVX are common?
I didn't know they made that many. They're a rarity around these parts.

I did see this the other day though

They go through transmissions and wheel bearings like candy, so if you're not doing the work yourself they become prohibitive to maintain.
I still want one

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

They go through transmissions and wheel bearings like candy, so if you're not doing the work yourself they become prohibitive to maintain.
I still want one

Honestly I could live with the transmission and wheel bearings.

What made me sell mine was the $800 MAF. I got ridiculously lucky and it was just the connections burnt out but that was the eye opener. That engine has a ton of one off stuff that is going to run up the bill pretty quickly if you can't find a way to fix it.

The real tragedy is that the engine is absolutely the best piece of that car but they never used it in anything else.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Larrymer posted:

Is that the trans needed for a RWD 4g63 swap?

Theoretically,, except it can't handle any power.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love the SVX, such a weird design. Guigaro wasn't it?

For a giggle I decided to see how much it'd cost to insure one. £250 a year. Ain't bad...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup I've got a massive :dong: for Giugiaro which was part of the reason I bought mine.

It really is a beautiful car. I wish mine didn't have the spoiler because its such a clean design without one.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

keyword Zombie?

I still want one

This. Parts availability has become an issue as well as the model's limited sales run means that many of the SVX specialty parts are p much NLA.

I also wanted one. Back in 1998 or so I was searching for something else and stumbled across an SVX for sale. The kicker? This was the very same car which was featured in Car & Driver's June 1993 El Coupe Comparo !

(BTW I think I still have a copy of this issue of C&D in storage. That particular comparo was a great read.)

I had a long talk with the owner. His father-in-law bought it from C&D's holding company then gifted it to him as a wedding present. Claimed to have the documents to prove it.

Known problems? "The mofflers and catalytic converters are rusted, need to replace. The aire no work, I no fix because I do no drive this car in the summer. The windscreen has crack. It have a little rust in the back. Is easy fix!"

I thought the ~$16K asking price was a bit on the high side. "is a collectors' item! car is famous car! they no make these any more!"

Did some more calling around. $900+ to service the A/C? $1200 for a new windshield? $1500 "and up" for new mufflers and cats?

:catstare: gently caress no.

those were the parts & labor prices for those items in the late '90s. They must be nearing Ferrari price levels by now

1500quidporsche posted:

What made me sell mine was the $800 MAF. I got ridiculously lucky and it was just the connections burnt out but that was the eye opener. That engine has a ton of one off stuff that is going to run up the bill pretty quickly if you can't find a way to fix it.

ayup

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 10, 2015

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
! quote is not edit

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What has always interested me is the schizophrenia to the whole thing. There's alot of fancy poo poo on that car for its time like the engine, the leather and suede interior, climate control system and four channel ABS.

But then they quite clearly cut corners with poo poo like the transmission, the too small rear brakes, or its huge weight.

I'm almost certain the original intention was to give European GT cars a run for their money, almost like what the Miata did to British roadsters. Somewhere in the process things fell to complete poo poo and they rushed a half baked concept to production. I'd die to know exactly what happened there.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

It was the follow up to the Subaru XT, but to compete with the other big gun Japanese small volume luxury cars of the time (EG Soarer/SC300, Mazda Cosmo, lesser extent 300ZX N/A). Subaru didn't exactly have a huge parts bin to raid when it came to the engineering.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just the glass windshield is $700 these days, if you can find one, IIRC. I have seen 3 or 4 in the junkyard over the years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Octopus Magic posted:

It was the follow up to the Subaru XT, but to compete with the other big gun Japanese small volume luxury cars of the time (EG Soarer/SC300, Mazda Cosmo, lesser extent 300ZX N/A). Subaru didn't exactly have a huge parts bin to raid when it came to the engineering.

It's most similar to the Mitsubishi GTO which shared most of the same issues (but had even more tech toys)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My buddy owns this xt

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/06/12/74k-mile-1986-subaru-xt-turbo/

I'm pretty sure he ended up keeping it, though. That car was sweet but honestly 3 speed auto + fwd only means its cool for uniqueness only. He is the second owner, first one was some lady up by Duluth whose husband offered her a brand new 1986 Corvette but she liked the subaru better. Garaged it and drove it summers only. No accounting for taste I guess? Glad she did though, poo poo is pretty mint.

I've always wanted an SVX but my dream will probably never come to fruition.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

He is the second owner, first one was some lady up by Duluth whose husband offered her a brand new 1986 Corvette but she liked the subaru better. Garaged it and drove it summers only. No accounting for taste I guess?

Every woman I know would rather have a little compact Subaru than a Corvette. Corvettes (especially new ones) appeal to men with midlife crises and few others.

This is like one of those ads that goes "BOUGHT THIS 1972 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA FOR MY DAUGHTER TO LEARN TO DRIVE BUT SHE DIDN'T LIKE IT. WOMEN AM I RIGHT. WIFE SAYS I CAN'T KEEP IT. MY LOSS IS YOUR GAIN"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Every woman I know would rather have a little compact Subaru than a Corvette. Corvettes (especially new ones) appeal to men with midlife crises and few others.

This is like one of those ads that goes "BOUGHT THIS 1972 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA FOR MY DAUGHTER TO LEARN TO DRIVE BUT SHE DIDN'T LIKE IT. WOMEN AM I RIGHT. WIFE SAYS I CAN'T KEEP IT. MY LOSS IS YOUR GAIN"

My wife wants a C3 Corvette even though I've told her the good ones are expensive and the bad ones are really bad.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you strip the engine down to the block and rebuild it with not poo poo parts c3 corvettes aren't too bad

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

If you strip the engine down to the block and rebuild it with not poo poo parts c3 corvettes aren't too bad

Wasn't there someone here who owned one and had unending problems with brakes and suspension?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Didn't GM run the brake lines through the frame on the c3? I rode in one, only one time...car had a Pontiac 400 with one of the early programmable holley efi kits from the early/mid 2000s.

Fast as fuuuuuuuck and equally scary due to the stock suspension and brakes

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Someone please buy this because I really swore I wasn't going to pick up anything else this year...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5353562532.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Someone please buy this because I really swore I wasn't going to pick up anything else this year...

Buy. Now.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

dissss posted:

It's most similar to the Mitsubishi GTO which shared most of the same issues (but had even more tech toys)

This might be biased, but I think the GTO had more going for it than the SVX (Came with a manual,actually had some power). It was just fat + crammed engine bay. Although now a days 3600 pounds for a GT car is on the lighter side. :gonk:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

this is good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looks really nice but I6 supremacy :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Octopus Magic posted:

This might be biased, but I think the GTO had more going for it than the SVX (Came with a manual,actually had some power). It was just fat + crammed engine bay. Although now a days 3600 pounds for a GT car is on the lighter side. :gonk:

The GTO was produced in an era when there were a whole lot of nice cars being made, it may be a decent car but gently caress me it's boring looking in comparison to virtually everything else...

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

It was good if you wanted a pretend Testarossa.

Other than that, IDK why anyone would want it either considering the Supra/FD shortly after were so on point (OK, maybe lesser so on the FD). I guess it found an audience though by how many left over Stealths and 3000GTs in the states there are.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Ten large seems a lot for restoring something that does not appear to be eaten by rust and has a somewhat intact interior. You could probably get away with leaving the paint alone.

Sure, if you aren't going to paint it then you'll save a ton of money. I meant a full restoration back to factory by someone that wouldn't be doing all of the work themselves, which would be crazy expensive given the condition.

buttcrackmenace posted:

This. Parts availability has become an issue as well as the model's limited sales run means that many of the SVX specialty parts are p much NLA.

I also wanted one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_at_zEhMzPc

I've wanted one since the 90's and yeah it seems like a really bad idea given the parts situation.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 11, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I can understand the Subaru over the Corvette. Especially if it's the only car. I totally get it.

What's ridiculous though is preferring a PT Cruiser over a Buick LeSabre. (Old man left his daughter a 97 LeSabre with 69k on the odometer. She likes her PT Cruiser better and has her husband sell off the Buick. I got to buy the Buick. :buddy:)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Dude, nice. I've kinda been thinking about getting a light work truck with a manual and some style. I could always drop that much on a boring old Ranger or a Toyota but Jeep pickups and Datsun 620's are both really appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Wasn't one of these in Twister? (driven by the hot lady meteorologist)