Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That seems insane since there's an open hatch 2 inches above the water line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

That seems insane since there's an open hatch 2 inches above the water line.

im wrong. not supposed to sit that low but the difference between good and bad isn't large because there isnt a lot of freeboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAN15ndvljk

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cole posted:

We had a guy hand his NODs off to someone to use. And then that guy handed them off to someone else to use. And three hours later in the dark we are looking for NODs on the range even though somebody has them, we just don't know who.

And nobody had the foresight to make the HQ guys that came with us bring their own poo poo.

yeah never loan someone issued

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah never loan someone issued

When I was like a year in my 1SG told me to leave my rifle on the 203 range because there weren't a lot of 203s and I had to be somewhere. I hand-reciepted the poo poo out of it to someone and when it turned up missing for a while they got FUUUUCKED. Made sure that the person I gave it to and my 1SG signed it.

And then everyone clapped.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wouldn't an engineer recce team do a survey to determine how the river usually flows when the position was first established? I don't know how things are done in the US, but when my battery had to cross a water obstacle the engineers were out for days before marking routes and measuring depth.

They still hosed up by not accounting for moving the guns off the ferry, and that turned into a 18 hour ordeal when our recce, FOOs, CP, security element and rations all crossed the river and we didn't. That was a long couple days of being parked beside the road, waiting for food and to re-establish contact with the unit.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Frosted Flake posted:

Wouldn't an engineer recce team do a survey to determine how the river usually flows when the position was first established? I don't know how things are done in the US, but when my battery had to cross a water obstacle the engineers were out for days before marking routes and measuring depth.

They still hosed up by not accounting for moving the guns off the ferry, and that turned into a 18 hour ordeal when our recce, FOOs, CP, security element and rations all crossed the river and we didn't. That was a long couple days of being parked beside the road, waiting for food and to re-establish contact with the unit.

Any time something goes wrong for apparently stupid reasons and you ask "Wouldn't a [person who has a specific job] have done a thing to prevent the thing?" the answer is no, because we're hosed up and too busy sitting in the arms room waiting for the CO to finish napping, or doing more mandatory quarterly trainings

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

https://www.facebook.com/dan.gardner.961/videos/10101038800913374/

some context:
-theyre all mormons so they dont curse
-this is in afghanistan on the helmand river. 2nd lar arrived in july when the river was at its lowest. by december or january(when the video was shot), the river was higher and faster to the point that it couldn't be swam.
-a few days earlier, a 7ton had sank in the same area. it wasn't recovered while i was there.

these guys are trying to go from the bn fob to their companys cop across the river with laundry, muffins and ripits. except the guy in charge wasn't school trained so he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing. left the hull plugs of the bottom of the vic and sank it in the helmand. the vehicle didn't leave bn maint the rest of the deployment and the ssgt vehicle commander somehow avoided an njp. he just spent the rest of the deployment as the camp guard sgt.

:stare:

Back in 2007, our OpsO proposed the idea of floating some of our LAVs across the euphrates in order to avoid a black route between Al Qaim and Rawah. I imagine that it would've ended a lot like this.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Back in 2007, our OpsO proposed the idea of floating some of our LAVs across the euphrates in order to avoid a black route between Al Qaim and Rawah. I imagine that it would've ended a lot like this.

Hey guys where have you been?

We spent 72 hours recovering a vehicle adjacent to a black route. Three dead, five wounded. But we got all the sensitive items back so OpsO gets his Bronze Star for the tour.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Deathy McDeath posted:

What a wimp. Everyone knows you ford every time.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Redeye Flight posted:

What a wimp. Everyone knows you ford every time.

Hiring the Indian guide is out of the question with Haji, so I agree with you on principal here

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dysentery from the Euphrates would kill your whole party.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
if you aren't hitting bodies of water with your foot to the floor you're doing it wrong

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Tanks rule for that. Floor that poo poo and don't stop until you have to hold your breath.

Pro level kamikaze results in skimming across the water for a time.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fuuuuuuuck cleaning tanks that have been sunk. It's loving miserable.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gently caress anything to do with water at all, I was in a C130 that had a fuel leak where they had to shut off one of the engines and the fire crews were hosing the thing down with foam when we landed and I would definitely prefer that to riding in a big metal box that constantly looks like it is on the verge of sinking.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
This really doesn't have to do with an idiot, per se, but kinda. And it is a joke you can play on your friends if the situation lines up like it did for me!

A guy at Ft. Campbell loaned me his car one day. But he couldn't find his keys, so he gave me the spare. When I got back, he wasn't there. So I held on to his spare key.

A few days later, I realized I still had it, and he hadn't asked me about it. So I decided to have a little fun with him.

If you have been to Fort Campbell and you are familiar with 1BCT and 2BCT's footprints, you know that there are two parking lots that the people living in the barracks use 24/7: one across the street from the barracks, and one behind the company. So every few days I would go out and find his car and move it from one parking lot to the other.

It took him about three weeks and moving his car maybe seven times for him to ask me for his key back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That reminds me of a friend in high school that had an old 1984 Mercury Topaz. Apparently that was before car manufacturers started putting shifter lockouts of any kind on automatics...if he left his doors open, which he always did, we could hop in, shift to neutral, and push his loving car down the street. And we did, every chance we got. It still took months before he finally started locking his doors.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Our NCOIC had this lovely 90s Mustang he wouldn't shut up about despite being the smaller engine of the line, and an automatic. But his parking brake sucked so it was simple to push it around anywhere we wanted to. Or watch from a house party as his mustang slowly rolled down the hill he parked on to hop a curb into the bushes. Fun times.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

nullscan posted:

Our NCOIC had this lovely 90s Mustang he wouldn't shut up about despite being the smaller engine of the line, and an automatic. But his parking brake sucked so it was simple to push it around anywhere we wanted to. Or watch from a house party as his mustang slowly rolled down the hill he parked on to hop a curb into the bushes. Fun times.

why didnt the dipshit just leave it in gear then?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Come on, you already know that he bought an automatic. You know he's not one for making good decisions.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

loving christ I'm glad they didn't send us to Afghanistan in our tracks. I mean, poo poo AAVs could have forded that river no problem, but you'd get the same retards operating those who would leave the same hull plugs out, just with the caveat of the vehicles being 20 years older.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Come on, you already know that he bought an automatic. You know he's not one for making good decisions.

if thats the case then the parking pawl wouldve stopped them from pushing it. unless the dumbass let that break and not fix it either

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

not to assume anything(because that is a cardinal rule in life), but an active duty lav platoon sgt would have had 8+ years of experience. at least enough to know that the driver needs to put in the hull plugs before swimming. if not that, then the gunner or 4 vic vc should have supervised.

i think we've talked about this before but i'm pretty sure you guys were going home when i was getting to iraq.

Thump! posted:

loving christ I'm glad they didn't send us to Afghanistan in our tracks. I mean, poo poo AAVs could have forded that river no problem, but you'd get the same retards operating those who would leave the same hull plugs out, just with the caveat of the vehicles being 20 years older.

you should be glad you didn't go to afghanistan because it would have been provisional infantry aka guard bitch.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Don't AAVs need to be constantly moving forward otherwise they'll sink?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Justin Tyme posted:

Thats a shark

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Canon

Naked Bear posted:

I always buy automatics because I don't gives gently caress about trying to be all super racey and poo poo. When I drive, I want little effort as possible. Much like work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sports car automatics have generally been garbage until recent years. Significantly lower performance in some cases. And we're talking a 1990s Ford. You don't want those automatics.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah, I wouldn't even buy one of those intending to get an automatic. I'm not a huge car guy, but I'm also not a loving pussy idiot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I usually forget that there are even bigger douchecanoes than the service academies:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Let me commute an hour driving an automatic

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I usually forget that there are even bigger douchecanoes than the service academies:

The worst aspects of service academies (plus little-man syndrome for not being one), the worst aspects of fraternities and the worst aspects of the south.

Reverand maynard posted:

Let me commute an hour driving an automatic
Just put some aloe on it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The few VMI guys I've met are even bigger ring knockers than West Pointers. Still haven't figured out why service academy guys and VMI dudes have to mention where they went to school every chance they get. ROTC and OCS guys somehow get by without constantly namedropping where they went to school/commissioned from.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A&M people seem worse than mainline service academy people too. That said I've never actually met one. Most of the officers I know went to state colleges and are pretty normal.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Justin Tyme posted:

Nah, they float kinda like a really slowly sinking boat. 8 hours I think was the max time you could spend on the water before they sank, even with the bilge pumps working and everything in tip top condition.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Casimir Radon posted:

A&M people seem worse than mainline service academy people too. That said I've never actually met one. Most of the officers I know went to state colleges and are pretty normal.

actually the truth is they all suck and the baseline of suck is so high that it doesn't really make a difference who sucks more.

like a&m guys might suck 1200 dicks and west point guys might suck 1000 dicks. guess what they both suck a lot of dick.

vains
May 26, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

im confused. if youve never met one....how do you know they suck?

vains
May 26, 2004

obviously afnmfh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

academy:ROTC/OCS::fake academy:academy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It's me. I'm the idiot. I thought the VA could help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm sorry McNally. I really am.