Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

They were routinely brokered before the modern primary system.

For instance, here are the ballot totals for the 1920 Republican National Convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CalmDownMate posted:

It happened during the last time this happened why would it not happen again.
RIP, the Whig party. Killed by slavery.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

That's not a brokered convention, that's just any convention without a majority. It becomes a brokered convention once the first couple of rounds end with no winners, and serious horse-trading stuff needs to be done.

And the horse trading can't happen any more because none of the delegates owe anything to their state chairs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

For instance, here are the ballot totals for the 1920 Republican National Convention

This was like the most brokered of all brokerings, though right?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is almost too insane to be real and the timing is just... what the gently caress? This isn't some lunatic fringe candidate like Ron Paul. This is a guy who's currently polling at 35% nationally and literally dominating the news cycle. What on Earth is the actual goal here? If they goad Trump into a third-party run now it's going to be the only thing anyone is going to talk about and the GOP is going to look like a party that's coming apart at the seams. There's no way something like that doesn't have serious downticket effects.

Nothing makes sense.

If they can goad Trump into a third party run now they can hope he flames out on his own without taking the rest of the GOP down with him. If they wait until the convention and make it look like they are overturning the will of the primary voters they will quite likely face violent retaliation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never followed primaries very closely before now, so what, exactly, does brokering a convention actually entail?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

readingatwork posted:

I foresee people dying if this actually plays out. Not even kidding.

Lets be honest, none of us here like the Tea party, and plenty of us want the nation to see them as the violent thugs they are. A convention that is like 68 with them as the yippies is great.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

zoux posted:

I'm not sure, that one popped into my head because it was highlighted in the first season of Boardwalk Empire.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Pelosi is introducing the no-guns-for-terrorists discharge petition on the House floor right now.

Speaker Pro Tem Womack rules the motion out of order as a resolution expressing the sense of the House is not privileged. McCarthy moves to table the motion, which passes by a voice vote. Pelosi requests a recorded vote on the motion to table which is happening now.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I think all the Trump talk has finally broken my brain. I need to take a break from daily Trump updates because the constantly escalating series of Trump-isms is making me just plain sad.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is almost too insane to be real and the timing is just... what the gently caress? This isn't some lunatic fringe candidate like Ron Paul. This is a guy who's currently polling at 35% nationally and literally dominating the news cycle. What on Earth is the actual goal here? If they goad Trump into a third-party run now it's going to be the only thing anyone is going to talk about and the GOP is going to look like a party that's coming apart at the seams. There's no way something like that doesn't have serious downticket effects.

Nothing makes sense.

I feel like there have to be a lot of long-standing GOP heads and (especially) members of the business wing that don't want to be part of Trump's extreme racism. The Muslim ban has turned off a lot of people everywhere, despite garnering a frightening amount of support. The adults in the room have reached their limit, and I think they're ready to make sacrifices to hang onto what principles they do have.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Paradoxish posted:

Nothing makes sense.

He's polling at 35% among the base.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

AmericanBarbarian posted:

I think all the Trump talk has finally broken my brain. I need to take a break from daily Trump updates because the constantly escalating series of Trump-isms is making me just plain sad.

How much trump would a Trump trump trump if a Trump trump would trump Trump?

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

JT Jag posted:

Actually I was thinking more of 1968

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Joementum posted:

Pelosi is introducing the no-guns-for-terrorists discharge petition on the House floor right now.

They should add a rider that gives the government explicit and total surveillance rights over anyone on the watch list too

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

The Democratic Party is clearly the party of stability. The Democratic-Republicans, eventually truncated to the Democratic Party, have existed since the founding of our great nation. Its opposition--- the Federalists, the National Republicans, the Whigs, the Republicans--- is ever-shifting and prone to utter implosion. You just can't rely on them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Who What Now posted:

I've never followed primaries very closely before now, so what, exactly, does brokering a convention actually entail?

How the convention works:

Round one: any candidate still in the race with pledged delegates may be placed in nomination. Three delegates from each state are automatically unpledged. Any delegates pledged to a candidate who has dropped out are unpledged. Starting with Alabama, and proceeding alphabetically, each state delegation reports the votes of their delegates. A state may "pass" and will still vote in the first round after the other states report.

If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in the first round, all delegates become unpledged. There is a call for nominations at which point any name may be placed in nomination if there's a second to the nomination. Then the voting is repeated until a candidate receives a majority.

This described a deadlocked convention. There can't really be a brokered convention any more because the delegates are no longer selected by the state party chairs. It used to be that a state's delegation was mostly made up of the political machine in that state, so the state chair could tell his delegation how to vote because they owed him their jobs back home. This let the campaigns bargain with the chairmen to get deals for support. Nowadays (and in the 1976 deadlocked RNC) the delegates are chosen by the campaigns or by voters and don't owe anyone anything, so the campaigns need to bargain with 1500+ individuals.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm privileged to live in the end times of American democracy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Primaries and caucuses will lock in delegates to a single candidate for one round of balloting. If there is no clear majority they are freed and allowed to vote as they want.

After a few rounds of no winner, candidates start brokering political promises for delegates, etc.

This was easier pre-primaries when Conventions had actual state political machines that could whip delegates into cohesive voting blocs

State political machines have mostly died out so no one's really sure what's going to happen, other than probably igniting a schism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

How the convention works:

Round one: any candidate still in the race with pledged delegates may be placed in nomination. Three delegates from each state are automatically unpledged. Any delegates pledged to a candidate who has dropped out are unpledged. Starting with Alabama, and proceeding alphabetically, each state delegation reports the votes of their delegates. A state may "pass" and will still vote in the first round after the other states report.

If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in the first round, all delegates become unpledged. There is a call for nominations at which point any name may be placed in nomination if there's a second to the nomination. Then the voting is repeated until a candidate receives a majority.

This described a deadlocked convention. There can't really be a brokered convention any more because the delegates are no longer selected by the state party chairs. It used to be that a state's delegation was mostly made up of the political machine in that state, so the state chair could tell his delegation how to vote because they owed him their jobs back home. This let the campaigns bargain with the chairmen to get deals for support. Nowadays (and in the 1976 deadlocked RNC) the delegates are chosen by the campaigns or by voters and don't owe anyone anything, so the campaigns need to bargain with 1500+ individuals.

So how does the RNC force a deadlocked convention?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Luigi Thirty posted:

Depends if you're asking Republicans, GIP or normal people

From 6 pages ago, but only saw one answer.

GIP consensus was it was good swap. When you invade a foreign land you dont leave anybody behind when you can get them back. No, it doesnt matter that he was a useless chucklefuck. War is dirty enough. After we dehumanize the ragwearing, boyfucking muzzies the thought of one of our own being held by them is offensive. You dont do a cost-benefit analysis on the value of a soldier being held hostage. You work to get that person back, then figgure out what to do with Bhergdal when he is safely back in US custody.

Imagine you are some 23 year old servicemember and you got got by the taliban. Your only is the folks back on base have a plan to get you before you get an Afghan hair cut on film

The Taliban Five were a bargaining chip and we cashed them in. I wish I could find the shim post that put this in the most emotional terms possible,

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

I feel like there have to be a lot of long-standing GOP heads and (especially) members of the business wing that don't want to be part of Trump's extreme racism.

Also, like, 65% of republicans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

I feel like there have to be a lot of long-standing GOP heads and (especially) members of the business wing that don't want to be part of Trump's extreme racism. The Muslim ban has turned off a lot of people everywhere, despite garnering a frightening amount of support. The adults in the room have reached their limit, and I think they're ready to make sacrifices to hang onto what principles they do have.

Yeah, they don't exist anymore or don't draw enough water to do poo poo. If they could kill the Tea Party they'd have done it ages ago. We've been waiting for these mythical business Republicans to rear up and crush the Tea Party since like 2010.

Hell, poster CalmDownMate helpfully posted an article from 2012 saying that now, finally, the Tea Party was on its last legs, which proves my point rather elegantly.

I personally think they'll lose a lot of steam once they lose Obama to rage against but we've seen what political prognostications are worth this cycle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Haha, fantastic. I appreciate the explanations, guys, thanks.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Jeb! and the sword of Chang will slice through the deadlock.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

The Democratic Party is clearly the party of stability.

*cough*1860 election*cough*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CalmDownMate posted:

He's polling at 35% among the base.

I figured it went without saying that I was referring to national polls of Republican primary voters?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

My description of the 1976 RNC earlier was incorrect. It was not deadlocked. Ford won on the first ballot after successfully winning the rules vote that allowed him to delay announcing his VP until after winning the nomination.

There hasn't been a deadlocked convention since the introduction of the 1972 primary reforms. 1976 was the closest, but both parties but in reforms since then to attempt to prevent it from happening. It almost certainly won't this year either. If it does, nobody really knows what will happen, but before we get there, the RNC has quite a few more tricks up its sleeve to prevent it which is what that meeting with Reince was about.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So if republicans vote no on that it means they want terrorists to have guns right? :v:

Let's just remove Mr. V from the end of your sentence there and you pretty much have it right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

My description of the 1976 RNC earlier was incorrect. It was not deadlocked. Ford won on the first ballot after successfully winning the rules vote that allowed him to delay announcing his VP until after winning the nomination.

There hasn't been a deadlocked convention since the introduction of the 1972 primary reforms. 1976 was the closest, but both parties but in reforms since then to attempt to prevent it from happening. It almost certainly won't this year either. If it does, nobody really knows what will happen, but before we get there, the RNC has quite a few more tricks up its sleeve to prevent it which is what that meeting with Reince was about.

I mean the story is about a "brokered convention" which apparently doesn't exist, so I'm wondering how party officials can guarantee a second ballot if Trump wins primary season. What exactly were they wargaming?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

KirbyKhan posted:

From 6 pages ago, but only saw one answer.

GIP consensus was it was good swap. When you invade a foreign land you dont leave anybody behind when you can get them back. No, it doesnt matter that he was a useless chucklefuck. War is dirty enough. After we dehumanize the ragwearing, boyfucking muzzies the thought of one of our own being held by them is offensive. You dont do a cost-benefit analysis on the value of a soldier being held hostage. You work to get that person back, then figgure out what to do with Bhergdal when he is safely back in US custody.

Imagine you are some 23 year old servicemember and you got got by the taliban. Your only is the folks back on base have a plan to get you before you get an Afghan hair cut on film

The Taliban Five were a bargaining chip and we cashed them in. I wish I could find the shim post that put this in the most emotional terms possible,

Huh. The Troops(tm) I play bidjagames with occasionally said he was a dumbass coward who deserved it.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
People keep saying he's dead on arrival, but he's spent years putting his hosed up views and plans right out in the open and getting more and more popular support for them, and if he gets the nomination he'll get 45% of the vote no matter what he does or says. That's terrifying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is it illegal under party rules for the GOP leadership to just fuckin' offer $10,000 to each delegate who'll vote for the man they want them to vote for?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

zoux posted:

We've been waiting for these mythical business Republicans to rear up and crush the Tea Party since like 2010.

This. Spoiler alert kids: the business Republicans are Democrats now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

Is it illegal under party rules for the GOP leadership to just fuckin' offer $10,000 to each delegate who'll vote for the man they want them to vote for?
Under federal election law I'm pretty sure that's feloniously illegal. I don't think the GOP has a rule against it though, so they can go right ahead because lol election law.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I mean the story is about a "brokered convention" which apparently doesn't exist, so I'm wondering how party officials can guarantee a second ballot if Trump wins primary season. What exactly were they wargaming?

The story is about how to prevent a brokered convention, but what they can do is mostly the same in both cases. First, they can deny Trump's delegates access to the convention. This would by done through the Credentialing Committee where they could vote to exclude delegates based on procedural errors. There's a debate as to whether the Colorado delegation will be seated because Colorado opted to not hold any contest this year to prevent their delegates from being bound. They're having a caucus still to select delegates, but never voting on candidate preference. Other technicalities may be exploited to prevent Trump delegates from being seated.

Another option is that the rules of the RNC can be changed at the convention. For example (and I'm just making this up, I have no idea if they'd consider it) they could decide to suddenly create a whole bunch of super delegates, like the Democrats have. Oh, sorry Mr. Trump, every sitting Republican member of Congress and every state governor is now a delegate. Good luck with the vote!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Oh man, I Trump what you're Trumping about, Trump.

Donald J. Trump golden toilet yoogest golf course, but Make America Great Again hat casino tower! If I flaxen combover the Mexican rapists then we'll all be 9/11! Ha ha, Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The story is about how to prevent a brokered convention, but what they can do is mostly the same in both cases. First, they can deny Trump's delegates access to the convention. This would by done through the Credentialing Committee where they could vote to exclude delegates based on procedural errors. There's a debate as to whether the Colorado delegation will be seated because Colorado opted to not hold any contest this year to prevent their delegates from being bound. They're having a caucus still to select delegates, but never voting on candidate preference. Other technicalities may be exploited to prevent Trump delegates from being seated.

Another option is that the rules of the RNC can be changed at the convention. For example (and I'm just making this up, I have no idea if they'd consider it) they could decide to suddenly create a whole bunch of super delegates, like the Democrats have. Oh, sorry Mr. Trump, every sitting Republican member of Congress and every state governor is now a delegate. Good luck with the vote!

Mmmmm that's some good ratfucking...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

The 1924 DNC (also known as the "Klanbake") had 103 ballots and lasted 15 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm getting from this is that Donald Trump is the GOP's Assad. They know they have to stop him, but have no idea how to do it without putting themselves at great risk of being hosed over for years to come.

• Locked thread