Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

My 300 does just fine with some luggage and my rear end on it, doing 75+ on the highway. Might work for ya!

You+luggage probably weighs significantly less than most of us goons. :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Chichevache posted:

You+luggage probably weighs significantly less than most of us goons. :btroll:

How do you know? Maybe shes got a lot of junk in her trunk.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

My 300 does just fine with some luggage and my rear end on it, doing 75+ on the highway. Might work for ya!

I'll certainly consider it in a year or two when I have more money and/or the prices on used ones come down.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
CBR500 or Ninja 300 would definitely work for "commute + small amount of stuff with enough power to pass people and better than average biek fuel economy" where the 250 just didn't have passing torque at highway speeds.

Source: bought a 300 for a friend and put like 500 miles on it. Owned a 250 for a year and 8,000 miles like every other drat goon here and put about 150 miles on a CBR500.

My old rear end carb'd 600 gets just under 50 mpg, which I consider to be pretty drat good. WAY beats out my buddy's FZ-09.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The ol' Uly gets like 15-65mpg depending on elevation and temperature. It uses a fuckton of fuel to cool the engine when it's above a certain temp so it can really gulp it down at parade speed in national parks.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
For adding the gas tank onto my CT-110, it seems like the most stable way to brace the rear of it would be to have a metal bar welded onto the fuel tank that the rear fins can rest on. Obviously, tank would be emptied before that happened, but would it be thick enough for this to not be a terrible idea?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

How do you know? Maybe shes got a lot of junk in her trunk.

:lol:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

For adding the gas tank onto my CT-110, it seems like the most stable way to brace the rear of it would be to have a metal bar welded onto the fuel tank that the rear fins can rest on. Obviously, tank would be emptied before that happened, but would it be thick enough for this to not be a terrible idea?

As long as the new welded-on piece will only be supporting the weight of the tank + gas, it should be fine.

I'd guess the tank is made of 18-20ga steel, which can be welded easily by someone who knows what they're doing and who has a good MIG or TIG system. (A talented TIG welder can weld two aluminum soda cans together without blowing through the metal). I wouldn't hire a farmer with a buzzbox to do it, but any place that can do exhaust repairs should be able to handle it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Renaissance Robot posted:

basically all I want is ninjette with fat hardcases and a touring windscreen, and just enough power for those things to not completely kill its ability to cruise at highway speeds

CBR500 is what you want. The Honda 500 triplets are so dang good.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Ethics_Gradient posted:

A full tank would be less likely to combust

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or fill the tank with water before you weld.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Did Honda move production of all motorcycles to Thailand/India? Or was it just the 500's, 300's and 650's?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Did Honda move production of all motorcycles to Thailand/India? Or was it just the 500's, 300's and 650's?

AFAIK they are manufactured in Japan and assembled in Thailand.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Just got a steel brake line for my drz. Can anyone give me a quick run down on how to install it? There are some guides on youtube but they all use different methods. I'm not sure which is the best/easiest way to go.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Step 1: Take the old brake line off*
Step 2: Put the new brake line on in the exact same place/way the old one was.
Step 3: Bleed the new brake line.
Step 4: Ride off into the sunset.

*There will be a screw at the caliper and M/C end of the line that needs to be undone, that's it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to upgrade the rear shock on my Hawk GT. I am not a racer and don't plan on taking the bike to the track, but I feel like I could use something better than the pogo stick that the bike came with.

Hawk GT forums recommend the stuff that Hord Power sells. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these two units?

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=494
http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=156

Or alternately a suggestion for something else? Apparently some people use the unit from a CBR900, but doing that properly requires re-valving the shock, replacing the spring and doing some machining, so at the end of the day it would only be significantly cheaper than either of the above units if you half-assed it, and I'm not half-assing the only thing that keeps the rear wheel planted on the ground.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I want to upgrade the rear shock on my Hawk GT. I am not a racer and don't plan on taking the bike to the track, but I feel like I could use something better than the pogo stick that the bike came with.

Hawk GT forums recommend the stuff that Hord Power sells. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these two units?

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=494
http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=156

Or alternately a suggestion for something else? Apparently some people use the unit from a CBR900, but doing that properly requires re-valving the shock, replacing the spring and doing some machining, so at the end of the day it would only be significantly cheaper than either of the above units if you half-assed it, and I'm not half-assing the only thing that keeps the rear wheel planted on the ground.

Nitron have an amazing reputation but with that colour you'd better be prepared to do the rest of your bike out in an appropriately 80s colour scheme.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Shimrod posted:

Step 1: Take the old brake line off*
Step 2: Put the new brake line on in the exact same place/way the old one was.
Step 3: Bleed the new brake line.
Step 4: Ride off into the sunset.

*There will be a screw at the caliper and M/C end of the line that needs to be undone, that's it.

Is there any brake bleed tool in particular that I should get?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Partial Octopus posted:

Speedbleeders.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Seconding the nitron, they are the bees knees and practically everyone in low level racing runs them here because it's hard to stick ohlins on 80's bikes. Remember: suspension that works brilliant on the track works brilliant on the road too, the two aren't diametrically opposite like they are in cars.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Hello, fellow Hawk owner. I'm in the same boat as you, I don't race but the Hawk needs a new rear shock. Either of those 2 from Hord are great choices. JD Hord is also an awesome member of the Hawk community, he knows more about them than maybe anyone. I've ordered a few parts from him and the service is excellent. Other than the Penske and Nitron your options, from least expensive to most expensive, are YSS (I have not confirmed they make a Hawk shock but pretty sure they do) Hagon, Hyperpro, WIlbers, and Ohlins. The problem with the ones I listed is they are all from Europe so shipping does jack the price up to if not above the 2 available from Hord. You could probably get the Hagon or YSS for around $550 shipped. I like the Nitron too but that god drat turquoise spring is a big turnoff. ANY new shock is going to be a night and day difference over the lovely stock shock. Don't bother with retrofitting CBR units, not worth the hassle. Get something designed for the bike and tuned to your weight and riding style.

If you haven't already, go sign up for the forums at https://www.hawkgtforum.com. It's a very tight-knit community of mostly old dudes. Hord is a member and you can talk to him directly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Partial Octopus posted:

As mentioned above you can get a speedbleeder, but it's not necessary. I just do it with a spanner myself and wash it down afterwards. Remember to bleed the M/C end first and if you're doing the rear line as well put some fluid in the rear M/C before you put the new line on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at YSS, Hagon and Willbers shocks:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/nt_650_hawk_gt/88-91/picture/rear_yss_z-series_monoshock/

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=M61064

http://www.bits4motorbikes.co.uk/Wilbers-Suspension/Wilbers-Motorbike-Shock.html?listID=148

287 GBP for the YSS is only 435 USD, and that's including a 20% VAT charge that I wouldn't be paying. I'd end up at $348 + shipping -- just about half the cost of the Nitron unit. For a person like me, who just wants to be able to get the rear feeling better for everyday city stuff and weekend mountain roads, is there a big difference between the YSS and the Nitron?

The Hagon is only 299 GBP -- still a huge difference. The Willbers comes out somewhat more but it's still a couple bills under the cost of the Nitron.

Like, I'm happy to support the small guys like Hord, but I don't know if I'm $350 happy if there's not going to be a big difference in performance or reliability at the end.

Also, I really don't know much about suspension details (would like to learn!) but people talk about ensuring you get the right spring rate. Would I need to work that out beforehand and try to order the shock with the correct spring preinstalled, or would that be something I'd have to buy and install myself later? Or is the default spring probably good enough? I weigh about 150 plus 15-20 pounds of gear, and I occasionally carry a 110lb passenger.

e: oh and about another 5-8 pounds of oil and tools in the saddlebags

Shimrod posted:

As mentioned above you can get a speedbleeder, but it's not necessary.

This I do know though: yes you do absolutely need a speedbleeder. Having done the brakes both ways, the 20 bucks and little bit of extra effort the first time you install them is absolutely worth the vast decrease in pain-in-the-rear end every subsequent time. If you're already taking the lines off, installing speedbleeders at the same time is a total no-brainer.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 11, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is it bad for my bike if I only ride like 10 miles a day? I don't have anywhere to go farther than that

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No but you should get a battery maintainer. The bike isn't really going to charge the battery up on such a small ride. Maybe if it's mostly highway.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Is it bad for my bike if I only ride like 10 miles a day? I don't have anywhere to go farther than that

Yes. At this point you're basically wasting a motorcycle and should probably just go out and ride instead of worrying about needing to have a destination.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Seconding the nitron, they are the bees knees and practically everyone in low level racing runs them here because it's hard to stick ohlins on 80's bikes. Remember: suspension that works brilliant on the track works brilliant on the road too, the two aren't diametrically opposite like they are in cars.

Depends on your location. Go with what your tuner knows... over here in the US you're going with Ohlins, Penske, or K-Tech (in that order). WP, Nitron, Yacugar, etc aren't as well known.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

True that, I've never seen a Penske on a bike IRL and have never even heard of k-tech. Everyone at the (two :() tracks in my area seems to have ohlins, nitron, hagon or wp in that order.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at YSS, Hagon and Willbers shocks:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/nt_650_hawk_gt/88-91/picture/rear_yss_z-series_monoshock/

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=M61064

http://www.bits4motorbikes.co.uk/Wilbers-Suspension/Wilbers-Motorbike-Shock.html?listID=148

287 GBP for the YSS is only 435 USD, and that's including a 20% VAT charge that I wouldn't be paying. I'd end up at $348 + shipping -- just about half the cost of the Nitron unit. For a person like me, who just wants to be able to get the rear feeling better for everyday city stuff and weekend mountain roads, is there a big difference between the YSS and the Nitron?

The Hagon is only 299 GBP -- still a huge difference. The Willbers comes out somewhat more but it's still a couple bills under the cost of the Nitron.

Like, I'm happy to support the small guys like Hord, but I don't know if I'm $350 happy if there's not going to be a big difference in performance or reliability at the end.

Also, I really don't know much about suspension details (would like to learn!) but people talk about ensuring you get the right spring rate. Would I need to work that out beforehand and try to order the shock with the correct spring preinstalled, or would that be something I'd have to buy and install myself later? Or is the default spring probably good enough? I weigh about 150 plus 15-20 pounds of gear, and I occasionally carry a 110lb passenger.

e: oh and about another 5-8 pounds of oil and tools in the saddlebags

This I do know though: yes you do absolutely need a speedbleeder. Having done the brakes both ways, the 20 bucks and little bit of extra effort the first time you install them is absolutely worth the vast decrease in pain-in-the-rear end every subsequent time. If you're already taking the lines off, installing speedbleeders at the same time is a total no-brainer.

I'd probably go Hagon, personally - I've run their stuff and liked it on older bikes. The Penske would be my choice in the expensive line. You should be able to give your weight to the guys you order it from and get the right springrate - if you've got the choice between 2 go for the slightly stiffer one for passenger duty. Most of this is honestly dependent on who you have to tune/rebuild in your area, all of the shocks are going to be much better for your usage. The only downside with all of these shocks is that preload adjustments for 2 up riding is going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

Also I'll slightly disagree with Slavvy here, there's "road and occasional, casual trackday setups" and there are "track/race setups" - my track/race setup has valving that makes the bike very not fun to ride unless you're hard on the gas and hard on the brakes all the time, whereas there's a midpoint where the bike is definitely valved great for normal roads with potholes and things but leaves a little to be desired on the track. The SuperDuke pushes the very edge of the street side of that, any track bike set up for track only is basically unrideable on the street because the suspension is so stiff in order to give me some room to play with during fast riding.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

I'd probably go Hagon, personally - I've run their stuff and liked it on older bikes.

The only downside with all of these shocks is that preload adjustments for 2 up riding is going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

It looks like Hagon can add a hydraulic preload adjuster for not too much extra (still ends up less than the Nitron, which doesn't have one). I assume this is some kind of little baby piston that you crank a few times like a hydraulic jack to set the preload, right? Sounds useful. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to do it the normal way? Are we talking like "five minutes of swearing at a spanner wrench" or "twenty minutes with a drift and hammer and stripped knuckles?"

I have never actually messed with the rear suspension of the Hawk. The CL's little twin shock setup is pretty trivial, though, just cranking a ring around with the spanner.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 11, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

It looks like Hagon can add a hydraulic preload adjuster for not too much extra (still ends up less than the Nitron, which doesn't have one). I assume this is some kind of little baby piston that you crank a few times like a hydraulic jack to set the preload, right? Sounds useful. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to do it the normal way? Are we talking like "five minutes of swearing at a spanner wrench" or "twenty minutes with a drift and hammer and stripped knuckles?"

I have never actually messed with the rear suspension of the Hawk. The CL's little twin shock setup is pretty trivial, though, just cranking a ring around with the spanner.

Yeah, if you can get a remote preload adjuster added, I'd do that for sure.

It's a little knob you can turn to crank up preload, and it saves you lots of swearing with a preload spanner. I loving hate preload spanners and turning them is a dick and just the worst. Twin shocks where you can get a good turns it's no big deal, it's when they're jammed up in the bike's guts and you can't turn it more than 3 inches at a time that leads to rage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I loving hate preload spanners and turning them is a dick and just the worst.

Also nobody told the bike designer that anyone would actually want to turn that thingy on the shock there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yes. At this point you're basically wasting a motorcycle and should probably just go out and ride instead of worrying about needing to have a destination.

That seems weird but ok I'll try it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I assume this is some kind of little baby piston that you crank a few times like a hydraulic jack to set the preload, right?

Yes it is. I have the Hagon with the hydraulic preload and it's very practical. Have around 25 000 km on it now, still going strong. The range of adjustment is quite big, I've never felt like I've run out of spring rate even when loaded up heavy. You'll need to find a sensible place to mount it though, best pic I could find:

On the bottom of the shock there is a hex screw (tool comes with the shock) which you can adjust damping with, compression and rebound together. A little less practical than the preload, but it does point towards the right side so it's easy to get at when the bike is on the sidestand.

e: Looks like yours has automatic damping adjustment so ignore the last bit.

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 11, 2015

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks for the advice!

I went to change sprockets and chain today, went terribly. Front sprocket I was finally able to get off, after bracing old chain under the centre stand foot and hitting the two bolts with some penetrating oil. I could not get the rear sprocket off by hook or crook though, eventually caved and took it down the hill to the mechanic, who used his impact driver and sorted it in all of 15 seconds for me. Took it back home, installed new one. I really need a breaker bar or something, because my torque wrench is about 2-3 times longer than the dinky socket driver set and I'm pretty sure I'll have a hell of a time getting some of this stuff off again. Changed out cush drive rubbers while I was in there, which was the whole reason I had been putting this off (they came just when I had some company staying for 8 days).

Could not get the retaining clip that came with new sprocket to rotate so that I could bolt the sprocket to it for anything either. Basically there are two sets of splines on the shaft with a thin gap area in the middle, the sprocket slides on and back, then the clip is supposed to slide halfway on, rotate about half a tooth on the thin gap area, and bolt up. Will. Not. Rotate. Fiddled with it up close with a headlamp for ages, just looks like the tabs/teeth are a little too long to allow it to rotate into place along the gap like it's supposed to. The old one works fine but I assume it is a Bad Idea to reuse it (guessing it's easy to rotate into place because they tabs/teeth have been worn down?).

Whatever, I just want to get this thing done. Put old retaining clip on new sprocket (15T vs the old 16T) for now and do a halfarsed job bolting it in, reinstall the rear wheel, so that I can get the chain length sorted. In trying to figure out placement of some washers, stumble upon some info that I may well be missing a couple of bits along the rear axle, hard to tell. Would not surprise me with this bike.

Naturally, this happens next. Horray, $30 more dollars and waiting another week or two for a new one to arrive. :argh: Really hating myself.

I was originally going to take a stab at overhauling the carbie after I finished the sprockets and chain, but I'd spent all afternoon getting little accomplished (and making negative progress in some areas) and I figured my luck wasn't going to get any better. Really annoyed I've got to wait another week or two on that chain, I think I may try and do the carbie tomorrow even though the bike can't be ridden anywhere, as the prospect of waiting around on the chain only to re-brick my bike and have to wait on parts again (over Christmas holidays) would drive me insane.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I really need a breaker bar or something, because my torque wrench is about 2-3 times longer than the dinky socket driver set and I'm pretty sure I'll have a hell of a time getting some of this stuff off again.

If I read that right, you shouldn't loosen anything that is super stuck with your torque wrench. If you exceed its maximum torque rating you can screw up the calibration.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

AncientTV posted:

If I read that right, you shouldn't loosen anything that is super stuck with your torque wrench. If you exceed its maximum torque rating you can screw up the calibration.

Harbor Freight sells a $15 (2'?) long torque wrench/breaker bar combo that's good for 150ft/lbs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I went to change sprockets and chain today, went terribly. Front sprocket I was finally able to get off, after bracing old chain under the centre stand foot and hitting the two bolts with some penetrating oil. I could not get the rear sprocket off by hook or crook though, eventually caved and took it down the hill to the mechanic, who used his impact driver and sorted it in all of 15 seconds for me. Took it back home, installed new one. I really need a breaker bar or something, because my torque wrench is about 2-3 times longer than the dinky socket driver set and I'm pretty sure I'll have a hell of a time getting some of this stuff off again. Changed out cush drive rubbers while I was in there, which was the whole reason I had been putting this off (they came just when I had some company staying for 8 days).

Could not get the retaining clip that came with new sprocket to rotate so that I could bolt the sprocket to it for anything either. Basically there are two sets of splines on the shaft with a thin gap area in the middle, the sprocket slides on and back, then the clip is supposed to slide halfway on, rotate about half a tooth on the thin gap area, and bolt up. Will. Not. Rotate. Fiddled with it up close with a headlamp for ages, just looks like the tabs/teeth are a little too long to allow it to rotate into place along the gap like it's supposed to. The old one works fine but I assume it is a Bad Idea to reuse it (guessing it's easy to rotate into place because they tabs/teeth have been worn down?).

Whatever, I just want to get this thing done. Put old retaining clip on new sprocket (15T vs the old 16T) for now and do a halfarsed job bolting it in, reinstall the rear wheel, so that I can get the chain length sorted. In trying to figure out placement of some washers, stumble upon some info that I may well be missing a couple of bits along the rear axle, hard to tell. Would not surprise me with this bike.

Naturally, this happens next. Horray, $30 more dollars and waiting another week or two for a new one to arrive. :argh: Really hating myself.

I was originally going to take a stab at overhauling the carbie after I finished the sprockets and chain, but I'd spent all afternoon getting little accomplished (and making negative progress in some areas) and I figured my luck wasn't going to get any better. Really annoyed I've got to wait another week or two on that chain, I think I may try and do the carbie tomorrow even though the bike can't be ridden anywhere, as the prospect of waiting around on the chain only to re-brick my bike and have to wait on parts again (over Christmas holidays) would drive me insane.

If you were so inclined... two master links.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

If you were so inclined... two master links.

NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Would you mind taking a pic of this? Maybe there's a gotcha you've missed and the hive mind can sort it out. About the chain length, I don't mean to sound condescending but it's worth asking, did you push the wheel all the way in on the chain adjusters?