Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

The "Christian" part of that party is vestigial. Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics.

As opposed to most Muslims, which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so what widespread concepts do you find troubling

Gender inequality and segregation, anti-LGBT attitudes, and rather dim views toward religious pluralism all spring to mind. These are not exclusive to Islam nor are they shared by all Muslims but there's enough of a correlation that I feel some criticism is fair. Again, this is not a reason to assume all Muslims share these beliefs, but they are supported in the Quran and/or Hadith so I don't think it's fair to say they have nothing to do with Islam.

Edit: and Judaism and Christianity both deserve these very same criticisms, and I've been as vocal as I can be about that as well! It's poo poo no matter whence it comes.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

As opposed to most Muslims, which

Live under oppressive cultural standards enforced by the religious elite.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My argument isn't against Muslims, you realized that right? I'm talking about Islam as a political force.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Gender inequality and segregation, anti-LGBT attitudes, and rather dim views toward religious pluralism all spring to mind. These are not exclusive to Islam nor are they shared by all Muslims but there's enough of a correlation that I feel some criticism is fair. Again, this is not a reason to assume all Muslims share these beliefs, but they are supported in the Quran and/or Hadith so I don't think it's fair to say they have nothing to do with Islam.

Edit: and Judaism and Christianity both deserve these very same criticisms, and I've been as vocal as I can be about that as well! It's poo poo no matter whence it comes.

so your criticisms of islam are things that aren't specific to or mandated by islam

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Average Bear posted:

you do realize that most muslims don't live in saudi arabia or territory controlled by ISIS, right?

because i'm not sure that you know this fact

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

An Enormous Boner posted:

I think trying to say who is and isn't a "real" member of a religious group is a losing exercise, and it only gets more and more absurd as you approach denying or at least minimizing the religious conviction of someone who literally blows themselves and others up over it.

Panzeh posted:

The bad things about islam are pretty much the same bad things in christianity and judaism.
If you're an atheist, you really have to boil it down to the basics. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, etc. and Islam is no different. And all religions are man-made.

But if Islam is man-made, then it's whatever the practitioners make it out to be and that's going to vary quite a bit! Which is why arguments about whether Islam is a "religion of peace" or not, or whether some practitioners are "more or less Islamic" are so inane.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

you do realize that most muslims don't live in saudi arabia or territory controlled by ISIS, right?

because i'm not sure that you know this fact

Yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Gonna take a guess and say most Muslims don't support ISIS.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

Gonna take a guess and say most Muslims don't support ISIS.

Agreed. Most Saudi Arabians probably aren't too happy about their government either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Agreed. Most Saudi Arabians probably aren't too happy about their government either.

Yeah, most Germans probably aren't either.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Almost as though the people enforcing their terrible religious convictions on others are the people I'm criticizing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Almost as though the people enforcing their terrible religious convictions on others are the people I'm criticizing.

Then why did you say "Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics"? I'll even remind you of the conversation:

quote:

You: Religious conservatism is a minority in the west.

Me: What about the dude that literally shot up an abortion clinic not too long ago

You: Well most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not even going to bother anymore. No one is arguing is good faith, just trying to paint me as Donald trump or something.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

Then why did you say "Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics"? I'll even remind you of the conversation:

I don't get what you don't understand. People shooting abortion clinics are the minority.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

I think trying to say who is and isn't a "real" member of a religious group is a losing exercise, and it only gets more and more absurd as you approach denying or at least minimizing the religious conviction of someone who literally blows themselves and others up over it.

Well I mean in that example I can say that the book specifically forbids suicide in the 4th chapter. But I agree with you. It's religion and the books are all open to interpretation. It's galling because we're held to the standard of "explaining ourselves," but if we do we just get attacked by their interpretation. And they also expect me to be a religious scholar, which I'm not nor I care to be since I have way other goals and dreams and poo poo, and honestly I'm really disenchanted with religion in general. But it doesn't matter since my skin is brown and my name is arabic, so encounters in public feel alot more tense I guess.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

I don't get what you don't understand. People shooting abortion clinics are the minority.

And under that same standard, so is religious fundamentalism in the Muslim world. I'll again remind you of your post:

Average Bear posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Religious conservatism is a minority in the west. It's a parasite I'd like to be rid of. In the shittier parts of the Middle East, it's a very strong political force, and the people living there suffer for it.

Opposing abortion (including to the point of harassment and violence) is a very strong political force in the United States.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gay marriage is extremely controversial across the islamic world, unlike in the united states or russia

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Average Bear posted:

I get what you're saying but my advice is just be clear about it. "Islam as a political force" is a vague, fuzzy statement that doesn't tell us much about who the people you're criticizing really are or what they do. "Islam" is only what its practitioners want it to be, anyways, since it's human beings who invented it.

The Saudi monarchy, for example, uses Islam as a means to justify its political authority. That's a good start for a concrete criticism of a specific set of practices. Like, how does Saudi Arabia use Islam? Why? What is the nature of those practices? One aspect of it, is that the Saudis claim their interpretation is the only one... See what I'm doing?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2015

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

gay marriage is extremely controversial across the islamic world, unlike in the united states or russia

Do you exist in reality? Same-sex marriage is legal in the United States and supported by a large majority of the population. You can still be put to death for homosexual activity in 7 Muslim-majority countries, and it's illegal in most of them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now Islam, as a set of wildly diverse beliefs, does make certain basic claims about the universe. Such as, there is a God. That's a pretty fundamental claim -- we can all agree that Islam in general claims this is true, right? Now, I think that's wrong, so in that sense I'm criticizing Islam.

Do you exist in reality? Same-sex marriage is legal in the United States and supported by a large majority of the population. You can still be put to death for homosexual activity in 7 Muslim-majority countries, and it's illegal in most of them.
But how do you account for variables like: homosexuality is very illegal in India and Christian sub-Saharan Africa, the authorities tolerate extra-judicial mob killings of gays, etc. In the world's most populous Muslim majority country, homosexuality is legal. It is legal in Turkey and Indonesia.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Like Russia, for example.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

And even then there are still people like this: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/06/29/american-gay-imam-nowhere-in-the-quran-does-it-say-punish-homosexuals/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

The "Christian" part of that party is vestigial. Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics.
Most Muslims aren't going on shooting rampages either. What's your point?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if you'll check your CIA fact book, nations like jamaica, russia, india, ukraine, and ethopia are not majority muslim. try again, slugger

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

That's nice, but the content of the article doesn't exactly inspire hope.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

But how do you account for variables like: homosexuality is very illegal in India and Christian sub-Saharan Africa, the authorities tolerate extra-judicial mob killings of gays, etc. In the world's most populous Muslim majority country, homosexuality is legal.

I don't. I was reacting to Thug Drink's comparison between the US, Russia, and the Muslim world. If you're gay, you probably want to be in the United States, where the controversy is lukewarm and functionally unimportant, relatively speaking. I am having a hard time understanding why this is an issue, but I will keep trying to figure it out.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

That's nice, but the content of the article doesn't exactly inspire hope.

I'm not saying It should. I'm just saying the religion has alot of interpretations, and while alot of middle eastern countries don't love us, They certainly sure are spending alot of time fighting each other ala sunnis vs shiaas, iran vs saudi arabia, turkey vs the kurds. Islam isn't some unified thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I don't. I was reacting to Thug Drink's comparison between the US, Russia, and the Muslim world. If you're gay, you probably want to be in the United States, where the controversy is lukewarm and functionally unimportant, relatively speaking. I am having a hard time understanding why this is an issue, but I will keep trying to figure it out.
Ah. Got it. Yeah he will never argue in good faith.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I think the issue is you failing to address Russia, even when you literally mention it in your post.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Tendai posted:

Most Muslims aren't going on shooting rampages either. What's your point?
I'm not going to keep playing this game. Read the context of the conversation.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

computer parts posted:

I think the issue is you failing to address Russia, even when you literally mention it in your post.

I hosed up.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

Russia has a powerful religious authority supported by the government. It's backwards in a medieval sense, like most of the Middle East.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a statement:

Saudi Arabia spends about the same amount of money per year proselytizing an illiberal, authoritarian, intolerant and ultraconservative version of Islam globally as the Soviet Union did on the KGB's foreign espionage and propaganda measures during the height of the Cold War. This includes funding (and controlling) mosques, determining imams to lead the mosques, and what they preach and the literature they distribute, among many other things.

For the Saudi leadership, this undermines rival interpretations of Islam and potential challengers to the king's status as the custodian of the two holy mosques. Saudi Arabia outmaneuvers, outspends and outorganizes liberal, progressive Islamic organizations and congregations and actively seeks to discredit them worldwide -- point being to defend and extend Saudi political authority and influence. And prominent leadership among Muslim communities in America and Europe either do not recognize this as a problem or are actively complicit in it, all while they denounce the extremism represented by the Islamic State while ignoring its wellspring.

--

That's about as critical and right-wing as I get. But see: nowhere did I single out "Islam" as being the problem, recognizing that there are political actors at work instead. And the writers who are most strident on this point, that I've read, are Muslims because they know it's a threat to them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's just an example and I used it because I think it's (a) true and (b) the way atheists (I'm assuming most critics of Islam here are atheists) should formulate their arguments. Because it really doesn't have that much to do with "Islam" per se or "Muslims" in some general sense. If you believe people created religion for their own purposes, rather than the other way around, and you'd be a strange atheist if you believed the latter, then you should criticize human actions and human actors.

If "Islam" makes certain claims about the nature of the universe, then criticize it on those terms, as in "Islam's claims to be divinely inspired are false."

But too often we're asked to treat Islam as some kind of esoteric "force" that makes grown men chop off heads and take the car keys away from their wives. It's sloppy thinking. No, Saudi Arabia is an actual thing -- a state -- which has money. Which influences other people. It'd be like blaming "Catholicism" for child abuse, when the Vatican -- which is a thing -- protected priests who raped children. These are actual crimes, with real perpetrators and victims with a clear line of responsibility.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OK but I just want to hate the guy at the kebab shop because he is different from me and I'm a fat insecure white guy in the lower middle class. How am I supposed to derive any sense of superiority by simply belonging to the correct group of people, if I can't blame bad things on the intrinsic character of another group of people? I just need some reason to be better than someone else without actually doing work or amounting to anything ok?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Morbus posted:

OK but I just want to hate the guy at the kebab shop because he is different from me and I'm a fat insecure white guy in the lower middle class. How am I supposed to derive any sense of superiority by simply belonging to the correct group of people, if I can't blame bad things on the intrinsic character of another group of people? I just need some reason to be better than someone else without actually doing work or amounting to anything ok?

This sort of thing makes right-wing propaganda about sneering liberal academics effective. Most people who are afraid of Muslims are earnestly afraid, not just stupid bigots. Though we certainly have a shitload of those too. You can thank 30-40 years of negative news coverage on Islamic terrorism (the vast majority of which against other Muslims) and 14 years of acute screaming from the Republican party and propaganda wing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

so your criticisms of islam are things that aren't specific to or mandated by islam

That's ridiculous. It's no less valid to criticize Islamic stances on those things than it is to criticize Christian teachings on the same thing. Luckily, most followers of both faiths are moving away from the position on those issues that their respective leadership have encouraged historically speaking.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If your argument is that "Islam is bad for LGBT" then you can find lots of examples from other religions that are not much different. I think that's Thug Drink's point. He's right. But I'd like to see the criticisms go further and be more specific. And we do this all the time with influential people on the Christian Right.

Ted Cruz is a giant douchebag or Evangelical churches promote intolerance and discrimination. That's specific. You'll find atheist criticism of Christianity that gets pretty militant and lumps in all Christianity with Dominionism, but even then you'll find a lot of atheists who say to cool it.

Now, there are also a lot of Islamic clerics who are seriously major assholes, charlatans and demagogues. And these are not marginal people who no one listens to. Some of them have a platform provided by the House of Saud, which is the wealthiest and most privileged group of people on the planet, and they spend money spreading those assholes' views into the West. This has had a profound and toxic effect on the practice of Islam among many Muslims in the West.

But most people in the West don't speak Arabic and don't know these people, and the main sources if you only speak English are Islamophobic blogs which have their own Christian Right agenda. And if you want to take this problem on, you risk playing into that agenda, or being manipulated by it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

If your argument is that "Islam is bad for LGBT" then you can find lots of examples from other religions that are not much different. I think that's Thug Drink's point. He's right. But I'd like to see the criticisms go further and be more specific. And we do this all the time with influential people on the Christian Right. Ted Cruz is a giant rear end in a top hat or Evangelical churches promote intolerance and discrimination. You'll find atheist criticism of Christianity that gets pretty militant, but even then you'll find a lot of atheists who say to cool it.

There are lot of Islamic clerics who are seriously major assholes, basically charlatans and demagogues.Some of them have a platform provided by the House of Saud, which is the wealthiest and most privileged group of people on the planet. But most people in the West don't speak Arabic and don't know these people, and the main sources are Islamophobic blogs which have their own Christian Right agenda. If you attack these people, you risk playing into that agenda, or being manipulated by it.

Of course other religions are equally bad. Sometimes worse! That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't criticise those attitudes no matter where they come from.

I think we can criticise those particular elements of the Islamic community while still accepting Muslims in our society, welcoming refugees, and treating Muslims no different from anyone else. God only knows why Hasidic communities get a pass for the odious nonsense they do, but apparently holding lovely, rear end-backwards beliefs is not a deal-breaker...

• Locked thread