Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Nappa killed half the cast of Dragonball on his own including Piccolo.

Serious post I always thought of the Nappa battle as Toriyama saying 'yeah these characters will never really be relevant again moving forward' with respect to the ones that died. Piccolo sort of being the exception. Gohan still sucks though and I don't get why people like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also he was like three.

I mean I think gohan's a huge chump but I won't begrudge a Literal Toddler his fear.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Gohan but he's never been great at fighting despite his huge potential.

Still, we should cut him some slack for Nappa.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

facebook jihad posted:

Serious post I always thought of the Nappa battle as Toriyama saying 'yeah these characters will never really be relevant again moving forward' with respect to the ones that died. Piccolo sort of being the exception. Gohan still sucks though and I don't get why people like him.

He is one of two characters who had an arc.

The other repeated his like three times.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is one of two characters who had an arc.

The other repeated his like three times.

Have you not learned that Goku is all that matters?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked Gohan all the way through, especially his fight with Super Buu. He was like the coolest poo poo at that point when you're a kid and you've watched this pink bubble gum man run roughshod over the whole cast and the character you've seen through all of DBZ loving wrecks him. Then Bubble Gum man absorbs people and then Vegeto happens and the Buu Saga is the best.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

the Buu Saga is the best.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

are you loving making GBS threads me

Takao Koyama wrote movies 1-13 and is a member of Sukyo Mahikari.

he also dislikes beerus because he's not as "scary" as Broly.

quote:

After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

"please support me fellow broly fans"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Given the dude consistently made the final forms of his bad guys big, buff and growly I'm pretty sure he never really got Toriyama's own design aesthetics.

Still, he made Janemba, so 1 out of 13 ain't bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pureauthor posted:

Given the dude consistently made the final forms of his bad guys big, buff and growly I'm pretty sure he never really got Toriyama's own design aesthetics.

World's Strongest, Dead Zone, Cooler's Revenge, Tree of Might, and Bojack were pretty good. Super Android 13 wasn't bad.

Also, google, was weird when searching for the names of these movies:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Covok posted:

World's Strongest, Dead Zone, Cooler's Revenge, Tree of Might, and Bojack were pretty good. Super Android 13 wasn't bad.

Also, google, was weird when searching for the names of these movies:

Maybe google ads posts ads for things that you have searched for before?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, at least we know there's some people out there who agree with him. Namely, the Heroes team. Because goddamn they love Broly a lot. Not only does he get SS3, not only does he get SS4, he also gets a powered-up Super Saiyan 4 for a mission in Heroes. Because we can't pile up enough forms. Can't wait for LSSGSS4 Broly.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, at least we know there's some people out there who agree with him. Namely, the Heroes team. Because goddamn they love Broly a lot. Not only does he get SS3, not only does he get SS4, he also gets a powered-up Super Saiyan 4 for a mission in Heroes. Because we can't pile up enough forms. Can't wait for LSSGSS4 Broly.

Isn't Heroes all about just throwing crazy poo poo on top of crazy poo poo for the sake of having unique stuff?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

Toriyama has a thing for making the baddest dudes look the most unassuming. Both Freeza and Cell had their final forms be the most sleek and humanoid. Vegeta was shorter than Nappa. Buu's first form was a fat baby and his last form was a little kid. And not only is Beerus not physically intimidating but his attitude is lazy and immature. In fact, final forms that get big and buff specifically backfire a bunch of times, Trunks's buff mode is too slow and Freeza's buff mode is hilariously inefficient.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kind of shocked TFS ranked Tree of Might under Lord Slug but oh welp

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Broly >>> Gohan

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

LSSj Broly would probably defeat current/RoF Gohan with his overwhelming power.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

dr.acula posted:

Kind of shocked TFS ranked Tree of Might under Lord Slug but oh welp

They do hate the poo poo out of Icarus though, so it makes sense that his intro movie would rank pretty low.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

They do hate the poo poo out of Icarus though, so it makes sense that his intro movie would rank pretty low.

But he has that horrible whistling song segment in Lord Slug as well

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I bet Slug comes tomorrow.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I like to think (and this is probably stupid) that when characters attack in DBZ they're effectively enveloped by their Kii, meaning even an attacking character has some level of defense. When they're calm they don't have any defense up at all.

So when Cell is in the beam struggle with Gohan he still has some rudimentary level of defense for the back attack, but when Goku gets shot by the ring he doesn't. We know from the earlier Final Flash that Vegeta /can/ do enough to actually hurt Cell as long as he doesn't see the attack coming so it seems reasonable that the Big Bang attack should do /something/ to Cell.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Spiritus Nox posted:

I bet Slug comes tomorrow.

It did.

The mini-reviews are starting to sound more positive than negative now. At this rate #1 is just going to be them gushing for 20 minutes.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Yeah the TFS ranking videos come out in the afternoon. So today's is up now.

As for the latest episode of Super, I was a little disappointed with "that place" that Whis sends Vegeta/Goku to. It was about 10 seconds of "Oh noes I can't do anything' and then immediately Vegeta going "Wait if I do this specific thing that we don't really bother with at all, magically I can move fine and this is no longer a problem'.

If there was SOME foreshadowing for it, like Whis telling him off for how he managed his ki or something, that would at least make more sense. It's just really jarring as is.

Unless there was something, but it was like a month ago so I forgot. :shobon:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I bet money that Resurrection F is #1 or at least top 3.

Anyway, Lord Slug was hype as gently caress because it had Fake Super Saiyan and that was great. The end.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah the TFS ranking videos come out in the afternoon. So today's is up now.

As for the latest episode of Super, I was a little disappointed with "that place" that Whis sends Vegeta/Goku to. It was about 10 seconds of "Oh noes I can't do anything' and then immediately Vegeta going "Wait if I do this specific thing that we don't really bother with at all, magically I can move fine and this is no longer a problem'.

If there was SOME foreshadowing for it, like Whis telling him off for how he managed his ki or something, that would at least make more sense. It's just really jarring as is.

Unless there was something, but it was like a month ago so I forgot. :shobon:

yeah whis has been like "ugh you guys need to stop leaking your ki and control it better" a few times, so there was a little bit of buildup to that

honestly its going to be really weird if we see dbz characters learn to contain their energy aura stuff and only villains glow anymore

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

VJeff posted:

I bet money that Resurrection F is #1 or at least top 3.

Easy money. They've gone on record saying ResF isn't very good, especially compared to BoG. It might snag third place but there's a good chance it'll rank lower.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

TFS mentioned Lord Slug's crew being space pirates but I always figured he birthed them all King Piccolo style

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hjalmar posted:

Easy money. They've gone on record saying ResF isn't very good, especially compared to BoG. It might snag third place but there's a good chance it'll rank lower.

BoG is almost certainly #1 or #2 though

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
#1 is probably a toss up between BoG and History of Trunks. I think it'll probably end up being the latter.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Blockhouse posted:

here's my usual reminder that broly's creator is in a weird cult about sharing energy through touching and the entire climax of the first broly movie is basically thinly veiled propaganda for it

Is this a johrei thing

Tell me this isn't a johrei thing

Edit: oh nmd I missed a page

edit2: Apparently it is, actually, a johrei thing - Sukyo Mahikari is an offshoot of the original cult that practiced the healing hands thing. Guys, if you don't know anyone who's into it, johrei is the dumbest poo poo. It surprises me not even a little bit that the creator and #1 fan of Broly is a practitioner.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 12, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I think we can feel safe about TFS giving Fusion Reborn a high ranking. They talked about it for a little bit in the latest episode of Raging Blast 2 and they pretty much gush over it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I hope Dead Zone is in the top 10. It's probably my personal favorite.

Surely Wrath of the Dragon is next. That movie was garbage

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only bad thing about Wrath of the Dragon is Goku winning the big fight, and not Trunks and Tapion teaming up somehow. Otherwise I'd say it's one of the better of the 13 original DBZ movies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
all the movies were bad~

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
:agreed: based on having seen world's strongest the BEST ONE and being bored to sleep.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zzulu posted:

all the movies were bad~

sharktamer posted:

:agreed: based on having seen world's strongest the BEST ONE and being bored to sleep.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zzulu posted:

all the movies were bad~

I agree. Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia but I felt the first two (even maybe the third and possibly fourth, though TFS has already done those two) were a cut above the crap. Starting probably with Lord Slug and especially the first Cooler move they fall into a generic formula and become hard to watch.

Personally, I don't see why metal Cooler is so poo poo upon. The animation is bad but kids rarely notice that stuff, and the Vegeta/Goku metal Cooler fight has some of the best fight choreography in the entire series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have never cared about anything more than I care about what team four star thinks about the dragonball and dragonball z movies

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dead zone and world's strongest are the best ones because they had cool choreography AND piccolo was still number one cool rival guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I liked worlds strongest the most cause it kinda felt like a perfect balance between the Z and OG DB aesthetic, if that makes any sense.

• Locked thread