Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. The biggest difference is (as it has been said many times in this thread), Obama dislikes the GOP greatly for what they have done over his presidency. Clinton loving LOATHES them, and they know it. She is going to openly and gloriously poo poo on the GOP every chance she gets over the next 9 years.

I imagine we'll never see an appointee to a federal court, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

would you rather ratfuck Trump LIVE in front of millions at home, watching the boos pour in over Jeb Bush being announced as the nominee, watching people set fire to the convention center

I changed my mind, this is what I want to see now

Let's cut the niceties and make the GOP civil war a hot conflict instead of just a metaphor

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aurubin posted:

I imagine we'll never see an appointee to a federal court, for instance.
With some luck the Democrats could win back the Senate in 2016

They'd lose it again in two years, but it'd be time put to good use

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

I think the only safe thing for the GOP to do is to announce that they are ratfucking Trump right now, well in advance of the convention. Announce you are not letting him be the GOP nominee, announce he is not allowed in the republican party and hope and PRAY that by the time the convention comes around the media has gotten bored of the ratfucking angle and the white-hot rage of the base has subsided somehow. The convention is far enough away, that's a possibility.

Because let's face it, ratfuckers gonna gently caress rats and would you rather ratfuck Trump LIVE in front of millions at home, watching the boos pour in over Jeb Bush being announced as the nominee, watching people set fire to the convention center, or do you ratfuck him now and at least deprive him of the party-fracturing power of those optics?

Right now they're timidly waiting for Trump to screw up and for his poll numbers to drop - hint to the GOP: That's Not Happening.

edit: One question - if Trump wins over 50% of delegates for the first ballot, there's no way to screw him, is there? Another reason why this scenario is their only hope.

I don't think this will happen because the RINOs realize that Trump shares only one true trait with elephants: Trump would never forget the people who ratfucked him vindictively out of a shot at the presidency. The Republican Party isn't going to hate gently caress a literal billionaire with anger control issues and one of the largest egos in the world. If they gently caress him, they'll gently caress him in a friendly, by the rules way. Trump is a businessman after all, he's familiar with that sort of loving.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

The Republican Party ratfucking Trump out of the nom and Trump running third party would actually for real cause a schism in the party

They just can't find an elegant way to stop Trump from hoarding their coveted rear end in a top hat demographic.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. The biggest difference is (as it has been said many times in this thread), Obama dislikes the GOP greatly for what they have done over his presidency. Clinton loving LOATHES them, and they know it. She is going to openly and gloriously poo poo on the GOP every chance she gets over the next 9 years.

God, remember when Obama was like "wow, I'll give the GOP a chance bipartisanship blah blah blah" for the first six years of his presidency? Small mercy that we won't have to hear that again as long as Hillary's in charge and still has a bone to pick about Whitewater.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Let's cut the niceties and make the GOP civil war a hot conflict instead of just a metaphor

All I want for Christmas are massive, never ending protests by Republicans outside RNC HQ. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any updates on the brokered conventions? When should we expect them? :bernin:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

Bernie Sanders will never have a shot of winning, friend.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I had a discussion with a coworker and my boss today after lunch about the courts and how difficult it would be to be a judge, and somehow it got twisted into 2nd amendment chat.

I proceeded to have the triple joy experience of ending up on the opposite (liberal) side of the conversation alone, hearing my coworker advocate that Joe Shmoe and his friends should have access to military grade hardware (all the way up to aircraft carriers), and then having him admit that he is literally afraid for his life waiting for the bus outside our office because he doesn't have a gun strapped to his side. :wtc: I know discussing politics at work is usually a bad idea, but the conversation shifted so quickly I didn't have time to get out of it.

Pray for my liver thread.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I believe you mean "screech in impotent rage as Congress folds it's arms and waits for the inevitable abuse-of-power to come to light" :smug:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

fishmech posted:

Bernie Sanders will never have a shot of winning, friend.

important that we never stop seeing posts like this

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I believe you mean "screech in impotent rage as Congress folds it's arms and waits for the inevitable abuse-of-power to come to light" :smug:

You need to get some pointers from Jrodefeld on the whole "Being an utter moron in weirdly compelling, intriguing ways" thing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Grouchio posted:

I suspect it was posted earlier (holy gently caress this thread is lightspeed now), but:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-preparing-for-contested-convention/2015/12/10/d72574bc-9f73-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

Glorious, glorious chaos. I love watching this happen in real-time.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I believe you mean "folds her arms as Congress screeches in impotent rage and waits for the inevitable abuse-of-power to come to light"
:smug:

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
Better article about the NBC/WSJ poll: NBC/WSJ Poll: 57 Percent Oppose Trump's Muslim Proposal

Looking forward to seeing the entire poll

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

1832-1968, friend.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gorilla Desperado posted:

Better article about the NBC/WSJ poll: NBC/WSJ Poll: 57 Percent Oppose Trump's Muslim Proposal

Wonder when Trump will talk about this poll.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Wonder when Trump will talk about this poll.

When there's ice skating in hell...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

But views are mixed among Republicans: 42 percent of GOP respondents support Trump's proposal to ban Muslims from entering the U.S., while 36 percent oppose it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

When there's ice skating in hell...
He loves talking about polls so much though, especially polls about him

I'm sure he wouldn't have some sort of double standard or something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

New Bernie Sanders ad features a farmer from the Northeast Kingdom with an excellent Vermont accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjUGJwu810

I saw rock and instantly thought that Bernie had pulled a Gravel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AmericanBarbarian posted:

I don't think this will happen because the RINOs realize that Trump shares only one true trait with elephants: Trump would never forget the people who ratfucked him vindictively out of a shot at the presidency. The Republican Party isn't going to hate gently caress a literal billionaire with anger control issues and one of the largest egos in the world. If they gently caress him, they'll gently caress him in a friendly, by the rules way. Trump is a businessman after all, he's familiar with that sort of loving.

I think trump is going to run try to run third party no matter how they gently caress him. earlier i would have said he step aside if cruz got the nomination over him but after cruz's recent judas speech and attacks on trump, he is done too. I think he is in it til the end.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The thing is that the longer Trump waits, the harder it is for him to run third party.

If he gets screwed at the convention, he will already have lost ballot access in a lot of states.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

1832-1968, friend.
:colbert:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
white cop accused of raping 13 black women just got convicted of 4 rapes + a bunch of other crap. looking at at least 30 years

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

If Trump does indeed lose ballot access due to waiting to long to run 3rd party, might a Trump write-in campaign still be potent enough to derail the GOP's chances?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Naga Warlord posted:

If Trump does indeed lose ballot access due to waiting to long to run 3rd party, might a Trump write-in campaign still be potent enough to derail the GOP's chances?
:siren: lovely Classist Post :siren:
That assumes Trump voters can write!!!
:siren: /lovely Classist Post :siren:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

4 May 2015

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

But views are mixed among Republicans: 42 percent of GOP respondents support Trump's proposal to ban Muslims from entering the U.S., while 36 percent oppose it.

Yes, true, which shows how extreme a lot of Republicans have become compared to the other groups. And the 22% uncertain worries me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
2016 is the Year of Tough Talk™

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GalacticAcid posted:

2016 is the Year of Tough Talk™

I want Martin O'Malley to kill Arpaio as a traitor to America while in full war of 1812 reenactment garb.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Huh. The Troops(tm) I play bidjagames with occasionally said he was a dumbass coward who deserved it.

GiP is not at all an accurate cross section of the American military.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

The thing is that the longer Trump waits, the harder it is for him to run third party.

If he gets screwed at the convention, he will already have lost ballot access in a lot of states.

Now that he's established himself as the top guy on terrorism, every terrorist attack anywhere in the world and any ISIS ridiculousness will give him a boost.

So pray for peace.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

fishmech posted:

I want Martin O'Malley to kill Arpaio as a traitor to America while in full war of 1812 reenactment garb.

I would pay a hundred loving dollars to see this. Especially if he does it with a cannon. From the deck of Niagara.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I very much like MOM, on paper.

I just, ya know, know how he completely hosed his city and everyone with a darker skin tone than eggshell white so that counters that, but I enjoy his campaign.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JT Jag posted:

:siren: lovely Classist Post :siren:[/b]
That assumes Trump voters can write!!!
:siren: /lovely Classist Post :siren:
Classist posts are sometimes justified. In the case of teabaggers, one can liberally apply 'em!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yes, true, which shows how extreme a lot of Republicans have become compared to the other groups. And the 22% uncertain worries me.

22% are not uncertain they just don't want to admit it to someone

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I just realized that a trump nomination might be good for general election chances, but also means we'll have to listen to this guy for another 11 months. Not sure it's worth it anymore.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hillary Emailed Ben Ghazi

What Are Hilldawg And Ben "Double Nine-Eleven" Ghazi Hiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I just realized that a trump nomination might be good for general election chances, but also means we'll have to listen to this guy for another 11 months. Not sure it's worth it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

• Locked thread