Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Btw is there a reason my awesome shower head makes a SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH the whole time it reaches optimal temp, but the lovely one is dead silent, but terrible at being a shower head?

Makes the sound while reaching optimal temp then gets quiet, or does it make sound while at optimal temp? Either way it's probably the expansion of the metal and the geometry of the waterway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There goes my "your shower's accessory belt is just slipping" theory.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Do you shower temperature complainers have access to the water heater? I always adjust mine where all the way hot and maybe some cold is a perfect shower, or at least it doesn't need to be set to boiling/max when somewhere in the middle works for almost any scenario.

You're just paying to super heat water you don't need.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

galahan posted:

Do you shower temperature complainers have access to the water heater? I always adjust mine where all the way hot and maybe some cold is a perfect shower, or at least it doesn't need to be set to boiling/max when somewhere in the middle works for almost any scenario.

I do the same, because I have small children in the house and it's the safe thing to do in case your knucklehead children mess with the taps.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

galahan posted:

That remind me of my old apartment.

It ran the hot water from the water heater through a coil unit in central HVAC system to heat the place. You had to choose whether you valued not melting your skin or not being freezing cold.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

galahan posted:

The right way to do this is with a mixing valve. You want your water heater hot enough to kill listeria.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Chemmy posted:

The right way to do this is with a mixing valve. You want your water heater hot enough to kill listeria.

But legionnaires disease sounds like a fun adventure!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chemmy posted:

Yes, and in the setup for the mixing valve there is a set screw so you can't set it beyond hurt yourself temperature.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Chemmy posted:

From what I just read I still do. Somewhere between A and B settings usually.
Places I moved into were one of 2 notches from max before, expensive bills.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

galahan posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but setting the heater to a higher temperature requires less of the hot water to maintain a given temperature at the shower head, thus extending the possible time it can be run at the user's preferred temperature before depleting the hot water tanks. Whereas if you set the tank to max out at your perfect temperature, you're pulling 100% from the hot tank and will chug it out much, much faster.

All this goes out the window with a tankless setup, of course.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Btw is there a reason my awesome shower head makes a SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH the whole time it reaches optimal temp, but the lovely one is dead silent, but terrible at being a shower head?

I'm commander Sagebrush and this is my favorite video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flw_EB-RXNE

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 9, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The laugh makes it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sure, it's hilarious the first time, but after four years of having an elephant in your bathroom it really starts to grate on ya

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Javid posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but setting the heater to a higher temperature requires less of the hot water to maintain a given temperature at the shower head, thus extending the possible time it can be run at the user's preferred temperature before depleting the hot water tanks. Whereas if you set the tank to max out at your perfect temperature, you're pulling 100% from the hot tank and will chug it out much, much faster.

All this goes out the window with a tankless setup, of course.

You are not wrong, but I don't ever hardly take more than 2 20 minute showers in the household and I don't run the washing machine at the same time but even if I did it has an electric heating element in it so it's basically just conserving and not scalding.
In my experience at least...

I have a very tiny water heater that's a third of the size in my current apartment but the same stuff applies as long as you're not using water for like an hour.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Sagebrush posted:

I'm commander Sagebrush and this is my favorite video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flw_EB-RXNE

Which is cute, but I mean, let's be fair, it's only a problem until you find the right rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yy831UQ5_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgMeyW4TEM

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Which is cute, but I mean, let's be fair, it's only a problem until you find the right rhythm.

These both have made my day. No joke. Today will be a good day.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Please say these are both Russia. I don't read anything below the video on Youtube because my sanity is all I have.

The triple concerto is a loving work of art.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I do the same, because I have small children in the house and it's the safe thing to do in case your knucklehead children mess with the taps.
I have the single handle shower levers and there is a temperature limiter. I discovered this because the master bath shower could get scalding hot, but the hall shower was only luke warm, and I realized that the master lever turned the full 1800 degrees or whatever but the hall only went to about a 90 degree angle. . . I hope linking from Amazon s3 is ok, I can re-upload to imgur if necessary:

Here is what the base looks like with the handle, and without the limiter disk, the brass tab will be the "off" position for the lever, notice the teeth inside the brass ring. . .

The white plastic ring fits in the teeth allowing it to be rotated, and the notch on the plastic limits the maximum turn angle and temperature. It's an ingeniously simple design which can prevent kids from scalding themself, or I suppose it could also be use so adults can set their ideal temp and never have to worry about the infinitely fine adjustment again.

Javid posted:

Yep. This is mine:

As a bonus, it's possible for shampoo bottles to fall off the hanging rack and hit the handle into the "flash scald" range on the left.
Is you're name Nick Smith?

Chemmy posted:

I'll bite, if listeria is a problem in hot water, why is my cold tap water declared safe to drink by the city? Is listeria just a thing that happens when the water sits in the water heater? If so, can poo poo really grow in there? I assume listeria needs oxygen to grow and I have no idea how much oxygen is inside a full water heater.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'll bite, if listeria is a problem in hot water, why is my cold tap water declared safe to drink by the city? Is listeria just a thing that happens when the water sits in the water heater? If so, can poo poo really grow in there? I assume listeria needs oxygen to grow and I have no idea how much oxygen is inside a full water heater.

Actually it's legionella that's the problem. Most bacteria will grow very well in the range of 95-115 degrees. Above 120 shouldn't be a problem. If you keep it low, all you need to do is crank it up to the highest temperature for a few hours once a month.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sorry, it's legionella you're right. Saving a couple bucks isn't worth worrying about it growing in there.

You wouldn't run your fridge at like 50F to save a couple dollars, don't do it with your water heater.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Since when is Legionella a concern in domestic water systems? Unless you live on a filthy well your city water has residual chlorination levels sufficient to kill Legionella. The concern is with cooling towers and industrial/commercial hot water systems. Unless you or someone you live with has a compromised immune system, scalding from hot water is likely a much higher risk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

Makes the sound while reaching optimal temp then gets quiet, or does it make sound while at optimal temp? Either way it's probably the expansion of the metal and the geometry of the waterway.

Once the shower water gets warm enough to stand in, it starts sounding like a belt being drug over a stuck pulley making a constant Eeeeeeeeeee. Shuts off immediately if you lower the temp to lukewarm.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Wasabi the J posted:

Once the shower water gets warm enough to stand in, it starts sounding like a belt being drug over a stuck pulley making a constant Eeeeeeeeeee. Shuts off immediately if you lower the temp to lukewarm.

That's not a bug, it's a feature. The new "alert to proper temp" shower heads are all the rage.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Alereon posted:

Since when is Legionella a concern in domestic water systems? Unless you live on a filthy well your city water has residual chlorination levels sufficient to kill Legionella. The concern is with cooling towers and industrial/commercial hot water systems. Unless you or someone you live with has a compromised immune system, scalding from hot water is likely a much higher risk.

Actually chemical disinfectants like chlorine can be rendered inactive in the presence of a biofilm, so it can still be an issue with municipal water supplies.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Armacham posted:

Actually chemical disinfectants like chlorine can be rendered inactive in the presence of a biofilm, so it can still be an issue with municipal water supplies.

This is, incidentally, why cases of Legionnaires often crop up in places that have recently undergone plumbing work--it stirs up the biofilm lining the pipes.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Just in case you haven't done this already: take down the showerhead, make sure the rubber gasket thing is intact and clean, then put it back up (optionally with Teflon tape on the threads). It made my showerhead stop making steam whistle noises at high temp.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Armacham posted:

Okay, but how is there going to be a Legionella-containing biofilm in pipes that have only ever held chlorinated city water? Sorry if it seems like I'm being contrary, it's just that someone in your house is about 50 times as likely to suffer a scalding burn as get Legionnaire's disease. It seems like that should be the obvious priority when setting a domestic hot water heater temperature, unless you live with someone with AIDS or drink from a filthy well. Legionella and human flesh have similar heat tolerances.

E: I kinda feel like a dick for going on a derail, and I'd like to think goons are smart enough to set their water heaters so they won't melt their children's arms, but a surprising number of people keep their poo poo too hot.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Alereon posted:

Okay, but how is there going to be a Legionella-containing biofilm in pipes that have only ever held chlorinated city water? Sorry if it seems like I'm being contrary, it's just that someone in your house is about 50 times as likely to suffer a scalding burn as get Legionnaire's disease. It seems like that should be the obvious priority when setting a domestic hot water heater temperature, unless you live with someone with AIDS or drink from a filthy well. Legionella and human flesh have similar heat tolerances.

E: I kinda feel like a dick for going on a derail, and I'd like to think goons are smart enough to set their water heaters so they won't melt their children's arms, but a surprising number of people keep their poo poo too hot.

No I agree that scalding is a problem. Keeping a gas heater at 120 would be sufficient. If I had an electric I would probably keep it a little higher because they heat a little slower.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have to keep my water heater jacked up way high because I think the pipes run through a poorly insulated wall, because in the winter the hot water doesn't last nearly as long as it does in the summer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FISHMANPET posted:

I have to keep my water heater jacked up way high because I think the pipes run through a poorly insulated wall, because in the winter the hot water doesn't last nearly as long as it does in the summer.

Isn’t this mostly because the cold water it’s mixing with is colder?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
All this talk about screaming shower heads reminded me I have something to ask the thread. I live on the ground floor of one half of a duplex, and another family is renting the floor above me. We share utilities with the upstairs neighbours. We have a laundry room with the (gas) water heater, and their bathroom is directly above it.

About a year and a half ago, the water heater kicked the bucket, coincidentally right after the upstairs tenants moved out. So the landlord got a new one installed, and everything was good. Until new tenants moved in upstairs, and every time they have a shower, we hear this screaming coming from the pipes. Not when they wash dishes, or run the dishwasher, or washing machine, only when they're using the shower. It's not that loud, but it does make it difficult to watch TV or whatever.

We mentioned it to the landlord, and her response was basically "Well they shower at different times, so it's probably quieter and you just notice it more now," but that's definitely not the case. Her attitude at the moment is pretty much that there's nothing to be done, and we'll just have to live with it.

So,

1. What could be causing this? It didn't happen with the old water heater, and as far as I know, that installation was the only plumbing work done to the house at the time.

2. Is there anything that can be (cheaply) done about it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Take a picture of the new water heater hook up and what the pipes look like. Is teh sound coming from their bathroom upstairs or the actual water heater area?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I've finally got working heat in my house for the winter season. Turns out that when my landlord had my furnace replaced last year, they ran new wires (R&W) from the furnace to the thermostat but hooked the thermostat up to the old wires. I even got a new heat-only thermostat out of the deal.

The crappy construction tale occurred while watching the HVAC guy test the live thermostat wires with a pocketknife. Gotta complete the circuit somehow, I guess.

I doubt t's damaging, but it was a troubleshooting technique I've never seen before.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I changed out my thermostat without turning the power off because the wires weren't colored correctly so the only way I could tell was which one buzzed my hand when I touched it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

I changed out my thermostat without turning the power off because the wires weren't colored correctly so the only way I could tell was which one buzzed my hand when I touched it

Why didn't you label them before you disconnected the wires from the old one? When I replaced mine, the new one came with labels and advised to do that before disconnecting.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSEYr1emjo
I don't think it's supposed to be like that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GotLag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSEYr1emjo
I don't think it's supposed to be like that.

Neutrals and grounds are joined at the same place! What???

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kid sinister posted:

Neutrals and grounds are joined at the same place! What???

Technically they're bonded inside the main circuit breaker panel. Doing so outside that panel can cause issues, hilarious, painful, fire causing issues.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

kelvron posted:

I've finally got working heat in my house for the winter season. Turns out that when my landlord had my furnace replaced last year, they ran new wires (R&W) from the furnace to the thermostat but hooked the thermostat up to the old wires. I even got a new heat-only thermostat out of the deal.

The crappy construction tale occurred while watching the HVAC guy test the live thermostat wires with a pocketknife. Gotta complete the circuit somehow, I guess.

I doubt t's damaging, but it was a troubleshooting technique I've never seen before.

its a 24VAC system, all he was doing was completing the circuit to hear if the furnace kicks on. Only way this could be remotely dangerous is if he used his tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Dirty Beluga posted:

its a 24VAC system, all he was doing was completing the circuit to hear if the furnace kicks on. Only way this could be remotely dangerous is if he used his tongue.

Yeah, this pretty standard for checking if a system cycles on. Worst case scenario you blow the 5A fuse in the air handler.
My personal way of doing it is with a pair of needlenose pliers, but to each their own.