Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I love when bad things happen in Powershell, especially when it's all prevented with -whatif.

Like a week ago when my coworker botched a file migration between SANs. Oops! And it wasn't caught until the files were well into a week of being used live, so good like truing it up when there are inconsistencies on both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Tell that to my AD domain, which is over a decade old, and has objects that haven't been touched/modified/used in almost as long. They were never disabled, moved, or deleted. I guess in case we find out we REALLY need that same server name for a server that was decom'd in 2009. Corporate policy was "just kinda forget the AD object exists".

I'm right there with you on "don't delete immediately", but if we've changed naming schemes more than once since the last time the object was touched, I think it can shuffle off this electric coil.

Gotta agree here - if you're going through a PC refresh cycle, keep the old PC around for as long as it takes to back it up and make sure the new one is running and has everything. After that, blow it out of AD and reduce clutter, nothing worse than going into the computer OU and seeing millions of accounts that haven't existed in several months, or sometimes years. I had to do some pruning like that for a few of my clients because their previous IT person didn't want to bother. Same with user accounts, but I'll keep those set as disabled so I can pull group info for anyone replacing the person who left and do a quick copy. Otherwise, if it's someone not coming back and they didn't have a huge, important role, disable and then put in a reminder for 30 days later to remove.

All of this coordinated with whomever the IT manager or decision maker at the client is, of course.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

there used to be a twitter bot from coca-cola that took text and turned it into ascii-art of coca cola stuff

it got shut down when someone from gawker fed mein kampf into it

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Just disable the object and move it somewhere. I just can't think of a single downside to keeping an object. If you never need it again, great.

It also keeps things consistent. Really old stuff has very little chances of every being useful. Stuff that isn't so old has a better chance. If things are never deleted, simply disabled and moved, you run a better chance of not making a mistake yourself. Goes the same for other working in the environment.

I'm firmly in the disable/don't delete (for a time) camp but did you know Active Directory has had a Recycle Bin for a while now? It's a very little known feature that might save you some day.

In Server 2008 R2 it was a bit of a drama to set up:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd392261(v=ws.10).aspx

In 2012 it's easy peasy lemon squeezy:
http://windowsitpro.com/active-directory/windows-server-2012-active-directory-recycle-bin

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I wrote a Powershell script for terminations that requires you to type the exact AD name and then confirm it, otherwise I figured I would accidentally fire the whole company at some point.

I wrote a script that deletes the users homedrive,e-mail and ad account, if the account is disabled and has been in the disabled account ou for more than 90 days since the last change. The script was tested and then deployed in production. The script worked fine.
I later decided to add a few codes to it. to delete the print codes on extesionattribute1.
I put Get-QADUser -searchroot $OU | Set-QADUser -ObjectAttributes @{extensionAttribute1=$null} -whatif in

This worked, So I inserted it in the main script. and deployed it.
Then I stupidly thought maybe it would look a bit cleaner if i put it in for each user in $users
I was in production.
After that I removed get-qaduser -searchroot $OU. It didn't work.
I then decided to put Get-QADUser | Set-QADUser -ObjectAttributes @{extensionAttribute1=$null} I thought since it was in for each user in users. it would only query the disabled account ou.

Without the whatif .:suicide:

As I saw powershell scrolling through way too many users. I realized what i've done. Panicked I pressed ctrl C. But the damage had already been done. 300 users could no longer print.
weirdly my senior was pretty cool with this. And everyone started telling me about the mistakes they've made.
I am never writing powershell codes during production

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

Just disable the object and move it somewhere. I just can't think of a single downside to keeping an object. If you never need it again, great.

Funny you should mention that. I'm in the middle of writing a script to move the files of [older than X] disabled users and delete the accounts. Paying for thousands of unused "Per User"-CALs for Exchange/Remote Desktop/Windows Server isn't fun.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

frogbert posted:

I'm firmly in the disable/don't delete (for a time) camp but did you know Active Directory has had a Recycle Bin for a while now? It's a very little known feature that might save you some day.

http://windowsitpro.com/active-directory/windows-server-2012-active-directory-recycle-bin

And then somebody dumps the recycle bin one day because why are you storing things you MIGHT one day need in it like some kind of user :v:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sefal posted:

300 users could no longer print.
weirdly my senior was pretty cool with this.

Probably because there's now 300 less users to complain about printer problems

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

300 users could no longer print.

Good. Paperless office future.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

frogbert posted:

Yes, of course I have known about the active directory recycle bin. The absolute pain in the rear end it is (as per your link) is the exact reason deleting poo poo sucks.

Crowley posted:

Funny you should mention that. I'm in the middle of writing a script to move the files of [older than X] disabled users and delete the accounts. Paying for thousands of unused "Per User"-CALs for Exchange/Remote Desktop/Windows Server isn't fun.

I am having a hard time understanding the problem. You don't have to have a per user cal for every object in your active directory. You have to have one for every person that accesses Exchange/Remote Desktop/Windows Server.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

Yes, of course I have known about the active directory recycle bin. The absolute pain in the rear end it is (as per your link) is the exact reason deleting poo poo sucks.

I am having a hard time understanding the problem. You don't have to have a per user cal for every object in your active directory. You have to have one for every person that accesses Exchange/Remote Desktop/Windows Server.

You just ruined someones livelihood of selling them CALs by the bucketload

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The black magic that is Microsoft licensing and CAL licenses always amuses me.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
MS Licensing can be confusing because a lot of it is access based.

When they do an audit for Sharepoint, for example, they completely depend on your IIS logs for an assessment. At the time we had Sharepoint 2007, which didn't take tight control of logging until 2010+. Turns out we had most of the IIS logging turned off, so MS apparently said "Huh, not much we can do there, guess we'll have to give this a pass."

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

larchesdanrew posted:

They have 3D printer some kid built from scratch that is busy printing other 3D printers.

Do they want replicators?
Because that's how you get replicators.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

MS Licensing can be confusing because a lot of it is access based.

When they do an audit for Sharepoint, for example, they completely depend on your IIS logs for an assessment. At the time we had Sharepoint 2007, which didn't take tight control of logging until 2010+. Turns out we had most of the IIS logging turned off, so MS apparently said "Huh, not much we can do there, guess we'll have to give this a pass."

I gave them 140 back in the summer for licensing and I *still* don't have access or answers about my licensing. I love it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zakutambah posted:

Do they want replicators?
Because that's how you get replicators.

We talking good replicators or bad replicators?
Because I'd dig me on some Star Trek replicators.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Johnny Aztec posted:

We talking good replicators or bad replicators?
Because I'd dig me on some Star Trek replicators.
I'm pretty sure they meant the stargate ones.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

I had a guy I hired on as my boss turn out to be a chain-smoking alcoholic in the midst of a divorce with a hard-on for Sharepoint. He didn't seem to understand that our company was too small for Sharepoint to actually be useful, and that the majority of the work was already being handled in a separate managed workflow that could not possibly ever be integrated with Sharepoint. I imagine he thought he was going to come in, implement Sharepoint, and be greeted as some kind of liberator.

I was the one of 2 people in my department at that point, and the very small organization was looking for someone who had vision. He lasted like 3 months. He was just one in a string of people I got fired before I left. The admin work ended up being outsourced to a company the COO was cozy with. Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful I walked out of that place when the CEO threatened to fire me. The hilarious part was that I had already given my resignation, but it didn't stop them from trying to power trip me in a moment of extreme weakness.

"Well, if you're not going to help me then I guess I'll find someone who will."
"Okay, the very generous resignation period I gave you as a personal favor is now rescinded and I'm done in 2 weeks, later."

The head of most of the departments told me I could count on them for a reference in lieu of the actual company management.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
A user ordered one of the new Surface Books. It's the first one that we've gotten, so we're taking a look at it and seeing how it works. We fire it up and then press the button to eject it from the keyboard. It instantly blue screened and then would no longer boot. We were eventually able to get into recovery settings and factory restore it, hopefully thats not a common problem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Maniaman posted:

A user ordered one of the new Surface Books. It's the first one that we've gotten, so we're taking a look at it and seeing how it works. We fire it up and then press the button to eject it from the keyboard. It instantly blue screened and then would no longer boot. We were eventually able to get into recovery settings and factory restore it, hopefully thats not a common problem.

No thats pretty much the Surface experience.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maniaman posted:

Had that happen the first time, but the most recent update made it much better and much more responsive. I use it as a third screen to just throw my email on and prop it up by flipping the screen. It's a pretty nice little machine.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

anthonypants posted:

Luckily, if we're stupid enough to create Replicators, we're also stupid enough to kill them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

I'm still waiting for my replicants.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
One of the guys I work with come by and told me that India have a new phrase.

"Greetings of the day"

Great, now they can construct an entire sentence:

Greetings of the day,
Please do the needful and revert

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

go3 posted:

I think the Surface as a product is really pretty cool, but having to work with them in a support/imaging role is the most frustrating thing.

Microsoft support for the things is pretty bad too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

I think the Surface as a product is really pretty cool, but having to work with them in a support/imaging role is the most frustrating thing.

Microsoft support for the things is pretty bad too.

We've ordered 4 of them and only 1 has actually worked with no issues. I mean I love the little fuckers but come the gently caress on Microsoft.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ not helping :mad:

go3 posted:

I really want a Surface Book but this kind of talk is really scaring me off :(

What am I going to do when I go home for 2 weeks if I don't get a sweet laptop?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

chromebook pixel

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

totalnewbie posted:

The new MacBook with an iPad Pro :smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

The new MacBook with an iPad Pro :smug:

Our COO won't stop ranting and raving about how much he loves his 6S for the huge changes from the 6 and how invaluable his iPad Pro is to his daily workings.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Kashuno posted:

Our COO won't stop ranting and raving about how much he loves his 6S for the huge changes from the 6 and how invaluable his iPad Pro is to his daily workings.

The amount of Important Businessmen I see on the train with the iPad Pro is pretty funny. One dude was working with his iPad and his iPad Pro at the same time.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
RE: Imaging

I just found out that Altiris as a company started in Utah. I've had this strange compulsion to go find the building; although then I'm not sure I'd want to thank them or punch them once I get there. Was definitely a mixed bag working with that software back in the day, never mind after they got bought by Symantec.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pr0digal posted:

The amount of Important Businessmen I see on the train with the iPad Pro is pretty funny. One dude was working with his iPad and his iPad Pro at the same time.

:psyduck: ...but why?!

Also in Surface Pro / iPad Pro talk, we discussed the ipad pro on IRC when it was announced and most went "ehhhh, this so-called pro tablet doesn't really cover my needs at all".

As an SP3 user myself, I'm not thrilled with how Windows 8.1 handles being a tablet OS, but I love how it handles desktop programs etc without a hitch. Too bad MS still doesn't get scaling right.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But you can get the apple pencil for only $100!! How business!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Until the Apple Pencil can run Java, it's not Enterprise Ready™.

Maybe Apple Pencil 2?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pr0digal posted:

Perhaps the device which bluescreens at the soonest opportunity has persuaded people who need to do Important Business to stay the gently caress away.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Until the Apple Pencil can run Java, it's not Enterprise Ready™.

Maybe Apple Pencil 2?
Is this a joke about how Java runs on millions of things, like credit cards, or is the Surface Pen superior because it runs Java?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Is this a joke about how Java runs on millions of things, like credit cards, or is the Surface Pen superior because it runs Java?

It's a joke about how a lot of "enterprise" software is Java based (sometimes to its detriment)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

captkirk posted:

It's a joke about how a lot of "enterprise" software is Java based (sometimes to its detriment)

Fixed that for you. I have never seen or heard of an enterprise application written in java that wasn't a steaming pile.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm so glad HTML5, Android, and IOS is killing Java. The faster this happens the happier everybody can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

I'll drop my MS rep a mail on Monday asking about this. (I'll still on ahead with the project though.)

Ticket time!
My boss called yesterday at 18:25 in the middle of dinner. One of the 3 top bosses "Hasn't been getting mails since midday" and could I please take a look at it. Took me one minute with the tracking log to show, that he has - and still is - getting mail. I SMS him back that everything is working on our end, and that Top Boss might want to check how his inbox is sorted. This morning my boss pokes his head in and says Top Boss still isn't getting any mail, and could I please pop into his office and take a look at it.
5 minutes later I show Top Boss how to sort his mail by date, and there's his mail.

• Locked thread