Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Once I went in to Edina and they had a really nice Goodwill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grandfather #1 designed ICBMs. Grandfather #2 was on the carrier that got blasted with radiation at Castle Bravo and died of cancer. It's a wash, really.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Xae posted:

I had to listen to a 6' 6" ~250-300 lbs boss at work talk about how he didn't feel safe walking around the streets of our upscale Minneapolis suburban (Edina) office with out a gun because of "immigrant gangs" in the area.

Minneapolis is one of the least scary cities I've ever been in, up there with Denver as "I feel relatively safe walking around downtown-uptown at most hours"

E: also I'm totally using those terms incorrectly, as I actually just mean the city core

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Lotka Volterra posted:

Minneapolis is one of the least scary cities I've ever been in, up there with Denver as "I feel relatively safe walking around downtown-uptown at most hours"

E: also I'm totally using those terms incorrectly, as I actually just mean the city core

You were probably in the nicer part. North Minneapolis and North Saint Paul are both really nasty areas. I delivered pizza in both places. It has to be the only time I've felt a sense of relief when a cop was following me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's all subjective. I've met people who are scared to walk around downtown Seattle at night and I, an average lady, find that it's super chill.

My very tall brother who looks like a line backer insisted on taking a cab back to his hotel instead of walking a few block. Big baby.

I'm glad to be witnessing the apparent fall of Trump. It's no longer just a joke. People are mostly now repulsed.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tigntink posted:

I'm glad to be witnessing the apparent fall of Trump. It's no longer just a joke. People are mostly now repulsed.

The base isn't. They're pumped someone is finally "telling it like it is".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

On Terra Firma posted:

And for the first time ever the people actually in charge of the party seem to be willing to draw a line they aren't willing to cross. Let's see if they hold it though.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

JT Jag posted:

And for the first time ever the people actually in charge of the party seem to be willing to draw a line they aren't willing to cross. Let's see if they hold it though.

It's going to be tricky going back to dog whistles when someone's been using a bullhorn for the last few months.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
"outstone"? I've been fishing "outstate" for all my life, and boy, let me tell ya, the entire state of Minnesota is what we Chicagoans would call "downstate".

Speaking of, Rahm's handling this whole BLM thing like an ice. So what if a convicted tax evader put forth a bill designed to get him some free tv airtime? Rahm's striking one helluva moderate stance, the thing which you'd do if you had your eyes on Washington.

Too bad for the CPD, though; if any of you wanna know how CPD feels, I'd recommend the cop blog 'SecondCityCop':

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/?m=1

There you'll find the cop perspective on everything, such as:

5-O posted:

We don't know how many way to say it, but you have been abandoned by the City. Rahm and the Machine will sacrifice you on the altar of political correctness and not lose a wink of sleep over it. Where does that leave you? Your family? Your kids? Back living with your in-laws while everything you worked for is destroyed for a political game? And when you get out from under, you're doing what? Something that doesn't have a stringent background check we suppose.

The criminal element has won. Self initiated police work is a fool's errand. Every citizen contact you make is immediately suspected of racist undertones. Every observation you make, the ones that make the back of your neck prickle, is subject to review by local, state, federal, IPRA, politician, reverend, lawyer oversight. Every piece of paper you are required to fill out is there to hang you, regardless of what the bosses are tell you.

Or

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I have the sense that a lot of it is based on the autopsy report from the 2012 election. One of the big points in the report was that demographics are changing; if the Republicans didn't want to keep getting stomped in Presidential elections, they had to start treating minorities better. Sure, the recommendations were tone-deaf, prejudiced, and condescending, but at least the party wanted to pretend to be more inclusive.

Now Preibus has spent months watching the front-runner candidates poo poo all over the recommendations in that report, and it's becoming increasingly clear that large sections of the base are happy to roll around in that poo poo and eat it. Even worse, Trump's been pulling most of the other candidates deeper into the cesspit. The Republicans could easily weather a single nut-job candidate (see Ron Paul or Pat Robertson), but it's not clear they can handle having all the candidates agree with the need for national Muslim registration lists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tobermory posted:

I have the sense that a lot of it is based on the autopsy report from the 2012 election. One of the big points in the report was that demographics are changing; if the Republicans didn't want to keep getting stomped in Presidential elections, they had to start treating minorities better. Sure, the recommendations were tone-deaf, prejudiced, and condescending, but at least the party wanted to pretend to be more inclusive.

Now Preibus has spent months watching the front-runner candidates poo poo all over the recommendations in that report, and it's becoming increasingly clear that large sections of the base are happy to roll around in that poo poo and eat it. Even worse, Trump's been pulling most of the other candidates deeper into the cesspit. The Republicans could easily weather a single nut-job candidate (see Ron Paul or Pat Robertson), but it's not clear they can handle having all the candidates agree with the need for national Muslim registration lists.

Donald Trump had found a way to turn the 2016 election into a referendum on whether islam as practiced in the arab world is compatible with American values. Politically, it's sheer genius --- having a conversation on domestic policy causes Democrats to win, while having a referendum on foreign policy is an R victory.

I wish the Democratic party were intelligent enough to run a campaign like that, then maybe we could sweep back Congress and pass some workable legislation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tobermory posted:

For the last three years I think everyone involved was completely happy to ignore that report. But, I dunno, maybe this caused them to finally dig it back up.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Donald Trump had found a way to turn the 2016 election into a referendum on whether islam as practiced in the arab world is compatible with American values. Politically, it's sheer genius --- having a conversation on domestic policy causes Democrats to win, while having a referendum on foreign policy is an R victory.

I wish the Democratic party were intelligent enough to run a campaign like that, then maybe we could sweep back Congress and pass some workable legislation.
Fantastic timing on this completely unrelated probation, by the way. A++

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

JT Jag posted:

For the last three years I think everyone involved was completely happy to ignore that report. But, I dunno, maybe this caused them to finally dig it back up.

Most of the party forgot about that report, but I don't think the Republican leadership did -- heck, they're the ones who wrote it.

Except for the bits where they praised governors like Brownback and Walker for their bold financial reforms. Everyone's happy to pretend that never happened.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

On Terra Firma posted:

Yea some of the base likes him for it, but most of America ain't the base. Hell, apparently most Republicans aren't the base either. Which bodes poorly for Republican presidential chances in 2016.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Moving out on your own was a stupid boomer ideal. At least not before you start spawning more parasites.
To be fair, I think both the boomers' parents and children are extremely grateful for being able to minimize the amount of time spent around them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The republicans have known for a lot longer than 4 years that demographics are against them. GWB ran as a kinder, minority-friendly Compassionate Conservative for a reason, and it wasn't because he was a nice guy. Though the one soft spot I have for GWB is that he clamped down on islamophobia after 9/11.

I think even the GOP is surprised that the racism gig is still working in TYOOL 2015.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The republicans have known for a lot longer than 4 years that demographics are against them. GWB ran as a kinder, minority-friendly Compassionate Conservative for a reason, and it wasn't because he was a nice guy. Though the one soft spot I have for GWB is that he clamped down on islamophobia after 9/11.

I think even the GOP is surprised that the racism gig is still working in TYOOL 2015.

His administration's actions towards Muslims did not match his rhetoric

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I'm really digging all of the "it's stupid to move out of your parents's home" posts, making me feel like much less of a scrub baby this morning.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Kanye West would like to have a word with you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
This is probably just kabuki theatre aimed at frightening the children, but the GOP Hivemind is now battening down the hatches for a Brokered Convention:: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-preparing-for-contested-convention/2015/12/10/d72574bc-9f73-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Anderron Shi posted:

I'm really digging all of the "it's stupid to move out of your parents's home" posts, making me feel like much less of a scrub baby this morning.

In Asia it's the norm to stay with your parents until you get married and move out. Doing otherwise, while freeing, is a massive financial drain.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
"Give me a blank space bay bee; and I'll write your name."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is probably just kabuki theatre aimed at frightening the children, but the GOP Hivemind is now battening down the hatches for a Brokered Convention:: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-preparing-for-contested-convention/2015/12/10/d72574bc-9f73-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html
I will take at least a 1976 GOP convention level of mess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't most modern convention fights settled via the pre-balloting rules votes anyway?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aren't most modern convention fights settled via the pre-balloting rules votes anyway?

In theory yes, but they're also designed around the idea that a candidate will win early and have it locked up pretty quickly. The fear now is if Trump wins a plurality or at least enough to assure that no one candidate has a majority. It would be a hilarious disaster for the party.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is almost too insane to be real and the timing is just... what the gently caress? This isn't some lunatic fringe candidate like Ron Paul. This is a guy who's currently polling at 35% nationally and literally dominating the news cycle. What on Earth is the actual goal here? If they goad Trump into a third-party run now it's going to be the only thing anyone is going to talk about and the GOP is going to look like a party that's coming apart at the seams. There's no way something like that doesn't have serious downticket effects.

Nothing makes sense.

The GOP has been riding the tiger too long and now it's going to turn around and eat them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

also apparently a bunch of republican state parties decided to switch away from winner takes all to proportional and base it on congressional districts

oh god please let this be a brokered convention, please please please

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trivia posted:

In Asia it's the norm to stay with your parents until you get married and move out. Doing otherwise, while freeing, is a massive financial drain.

It's also the norm in Asia to not have sex until you're in your mid-20s.

Which is more important in America, freedom and sexual liberation, or financial solvency?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"How can we sabotage this avatar of fear and rage and bigotry for which we have been striving to summon these past many decades?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

My Imaginary GF posted:

"outstone"? I've been fishing "outstate" for all my life, and boy, let me tell ya, the entire state of Minnesota is what we Chicagoans would call "downstate".

Speaking of, Rahm's handling this whole BLM thing like an ice. So what if a convicted tax evader put forth a bill designed to get him some free tv airtime? Rahm's striking one helluva moderate stance, the thing which you'd do if you had your eyes on Washington.

Too bad for the CPD, though; if any of you wanna know how CPD feels, I'd recommend the cop blog 'SecondCityCop':

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/?m=1

There you'll find the cop perspective on everything, such as:

Or

Cops are the purest distillation of aggrieved white privilege we have.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If the Republicans really want to, I'm pretty sure they can just change the primary rules on a whim to make it harder for Donald to win

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

If the Republicans really want to, I'm pretty sure they can just change the primary rules on a whim to make it harder for Donald to win

Not entirely -- the rules are mostly devolved down to state level parties (though they could presumably pressure them.) I think they would be hesitant, should he keep trucking to OUTRIGHT deny him agency, for fear that would trigger him to run third party.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not entirely -- the rules are mostly devolved down to state level parties (though they could presumably pressure them.) I think they would be hesitant, should he keep trucking to OUTRIGHT deny him agency, for fear that would trigger him to run third party.
Maybe they want to force him to run third party, because they're done with this.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

Maybe they want to force him to run third party, because they're done with this.

With getting the Presidency in 2016?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's also the norm in Asia to not have sex until you're in your mid-20s.

Which is more important in America, freedom and sexual liberation, or financial solvency?

Migf don't talk about things you're not experienced with.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the trick would be to force Trump to still fight for the nomination until the conventions instead of starting out as a third party in June and get a head of steam.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I think that would be their very last option because I think they view that as the last resort. Right now I think they assume they can scare the base (and the plethora of candidates running) into rallying around one candidate to defeat trump and emerge to fight Hillary -- even if that means settling for Ted Cruz.

Bip Roberts posted:

I think the trick would be to force Trump to still fight for the nomination until the conventions instead of starting out as a third party in June and get a head of steam.

Right, I think the thought is that if he goes third party /after/ the convention, they can say he's sabotaging the party because the nominee was done so under a legitimate process.*

* - Obviously this becomes a much more sticky thing to try and get around if you've had to all manner of backroom deals to get it done though.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 11, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right, I think the thought is that if he goes third party /after/ the convention, they can say he's sabotaging the party because the nominee was done so under a legitimate process.*

* - Obviously this becomes a much more sticky thing to try and get around if you've had to all manner of backroom deals to get it done though.
The thought process behind forcing him to run third party now is that, even though he's Donald Trump, if he's not running for one of the major parties the media will, in all likelihood, get off his nutsack (at least to the extent they are now) and they would hope the base would eventually filter back. The convention would be more peaceful than one where Donald has a bunch of votes, too.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

The thought process behind forcing him to run third party now is that, even though he's Donald Trump, if he's not running for one of the major parties the media will, in all likelihood, get off his nutsack (at least to the extent they are now) and they would hope the base would eventually filter back. The convention would be more peaceful than one where Donald has a bunch of votes, too.

What incentive would the media have to not cover Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

What incentive would the media have to not cover Trump?
Part of the reason the media has covered him so much now is that he's a Republican candidate. How bizarre, that a Republican candidate is saying all this. A Republican candidate for President can't say that! Republicans are supposed to be a mainstream party, taken seriously as Serious People.

If he runs third party, this early, he becomes a true fringe candidate. He'll keep saying crazy poo poo, but he's no longer representative of a Major Party and Real Americans. He'll get headlines, but the media will have less reason to slavishly devote themselves to him.

• Locked thread