Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
nice Maclean article asking prominent Canadians about what they see in 2016 with the hash tag #becauseits2016

Guess who is the poo poo lord? ( no points for actually guessing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sliderule posted:

Taxis in Toronto drive like complete assholes and continually violate the rules of the road: using merge lanes to pass traffic, failing to signal, performing unsafe maneuvers, overall driving selfishly at the expense of others.

Them complaining about UberX drivers breaking the rules is laughable. I'll shed a tear the day I see a Taxi driving courteously.

Remember the taxi driver who basically tried to carjack an Uber and got dragged a ways? Turns out he used to drive for Uber but is now all pissed off at them. The Uber driver should have shook him off and then backed over him, IMO.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I did not guess correctly and I am appalled at how I could've missed that one.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

Remember the taxi driver who basically tried to carjack an Uber and got dragged a ways? Turns out he used to drive for Uber but is now all pissed off at them. The Uber driver should have shook him off and then backed over him, IMO.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/taxi-driver-worked-at-uber-1.3358864

Taxi driver who clung to UberX says he once drove for Uber

Driver Suntharesan Kanagasabai dismisses claims his protest tactic was dangerous

The Toronto taxi driver who confronted an UberX driver on Wednesday by clinging to the moving car's mirror says he drove for UberBlack, the luxury version of the ride-hailing service, as recently as last week.

Suntharesan Kanagasabai was among the hundreds of cabbies demonstrating against Uber near city hall when he was captured on camera pounding on the windows of a white Honda Civic that was being driven for Uber, then clinging to the car as its driver tried to flee.

Maybe for competitive intelligence :iiam:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao I was reading through and thinking "Well, most of these are pretty good with a few bad ones but none that really stand out" and then I saw it and I knew exactly what you meant.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

On the one hand, I think cab companies are generally atrocious. On the other, I hate the libertarian shitheels behind Uber.

Decisions.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

No, you see, here in Ontario the correct course of action would be to navigate your vehicle into a stationary object, killing the hanger-on. It's completely legal, at least if you're a former Attorney General.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lmao I was reading through and thinking "Well, most of these are pretty good with a few bad ones but none that really stand out" and then I saw it and I knew exactly what you meant.

Exactly. It's comical about how loving petty it is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The protest was over the city's refusal to place an injunction against UberX* to prevent them from operating until the law can changed to allow them to operate legally in this city. Because right now, they're operating illegally, which amazingly, some of the people who've spent time and money to be properly licensed and insured to operate a cab for hire have a problem with.

Regardless of how frothing mad you are about cab service, or how a cab once shot your pa, or whatever, the point of the protest was entirely valid. To get the city to enforce its own laws, because not doing so severely disadvantages the people who are actually following them.

*Note: No one is protesting UberTaxi or UberBlack, as they both operate completely legally here, and have ever since Uber bothered to stop lying about "ride sharing" and got a dispatch license.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

Christy Clark says B.C. children's ministry to only get more funding if economy grows

Your daily reminder that the premier of BC is a rancid old oval office leading a pack of hyenas. MCFD has been frozen for fifteen loving years.

Announced a $100m corporate welfare package earlier in the week. :fuckoff:

There's never more money.

I wonder how much personal risk he's taken for his current media pursuits.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sliderule posted:

No, you see, here in Ontario the correct course of action would be to navigate your vehicle into a stationary object, killing the hanger-on. It's completely legal, at least if you're a former Attorney General.

That was exactly my line of thinking and I'd be absolutely shocked if the cabbie made it past pretrial motions without reminding everyone about this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

The protest was over the city's refusal to place an injunction against UberX* to prevent them from operating until the law can changed to allow them to operate legally in this city. Because right now, they're operating illegally, which amazingly, some of the people who've spent time and money to be properly licensed and insured to operate a cab for hire have a problem with.

Regardless of how frothing mad you are about cab service, or how a cab once shot your pa, or whatever, the point of the protest was entirely valid. To get the city to enforce its own laws, because not doing so severely disadvantages the people who are actually following them.

It is pretty loving berko that the city needs to enjoin someone from doing something that's already illegal when they have a perfectly serviceable team of bylaw and actuallaw enforcement professionals who should be vibrating themselves to completion at the chance to enforce these laws.

What is the city's justification for directing bylaw/police not to investigate this?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Presumably for a similar reason that cops in many jurisdictions aren't arresting people for simple possession any more.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

To get the city to enforce its own laws, because not doing so severely disadvantages the people who are actually following them.

The exact same way that when cabbies break traffic laws, it severely disadvantages those who follow them. So boo loving hoo. Decades of their own lovely, illegal behaviour puts them in weak standing.

It's like a serial murderer complaining that someone assaulted them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

It is pretty loving berko that the city needs to enjoin someone from doing something that's already illegal when they have a perfectly serviceable team of bylaw and actuallaw enforcement professionals who should be vibrating themselves to completion at the chance to enforce these laws.

What is the city's justification for directing bylaw/police not to investigate this?

The TPS has been fining drivers and occasionally impounding vehicles, but it's sporadic and not part of a concerted effort. There was an enforcement blitz about a year ago, but then the mayor made an about-face on the issue suspiciously around the time his former campaign manager and dark lich incarnate, Nick Kouvalis, was announced to have been hired by Uber to lobby city hall. Since then the refrain has been, "We don't need to shut Uber(X) down, we need to bring them into the system and adjust the regulations to suit them". Which is fine and all, but they haven't actually done that yet, and UberX is still massively undercutting legit cabs by virtue of having none of the licensing, inspection, or insurance overhead.

sliderule posted:

The exact same way that when cabbies break traffic laws, it severely disadvantages those who follow them. So boo loving hoo. Decades of their own lovely, illegal behaviour puts them in weak standing.

It's like a serial murderer complaining that someone assaulted them.

Yes, it's exactly like that, you ridiculous cretin. This is a complete non sequitur not to mention irrelevant since, get this, traffic laws are actually being enforced.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

OSI bean dip posted:

Somehow I cannot imagine Harper having the willingness to do this.

I don't even know if I'm that much in Trudeau's corner, but I did use to do news photography for things just like this ('grip and grins' we called them) and that poo poo is surprisingly hard to fake. The only one who could pull it off consistently in my experience was Ralph Klein. So what I'm saying is Trudeau is just like Ralph Klein.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, it's exactly like that, you ridiculous cretin.

I'm glad we agree, you narrow-minded simpleton.

Seriously though, if cabbies want to retain their stranglehold on the market, they should be exemplary drivers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

Presumably for a similar reason that cops in many jurisdictions aren't arresting people for simple possession any more.

Yeah it's probably something like this. It's pouring a ton of resources enforcing something which, for various reasons, would be massively unpopular with a huge chunk of citizens.

Also, like, how? You can't identify an Uber X driver by looking at them. The only way I've seen in the past is for law enforcement to make fake accounts, call up rides, and fine them when they show up.
So you allocate a pile of police resources to have officers or bylaw officers continuously make new fake accounts and fine drivers or impound vehicles. And that's assuming Uber X drivers don't catch on and start finding ways to guess which potential fares are cops and you have to come up with a whole new strategy.

Like yeah I agree Uber as a company is poo poo but it's not something that you'd be able to enforce easily or cheaply.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 11, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If the taxi industry wanted more sympathy, they shouldn't have done everything possible to generate untold amounts of ill will among the population. Drivers taking bad routes to charge you more; drivers speeding away if you hail them and they don't like where you ask to go; drivers charging extra if you pay by card; drivers claiming the credit card machine is "broken" constantly; drivers flouting any number of traffic laws; drivers parking in no-parking zones, etc., etc.

Uber is a horrible company in a lot of ways, but I loving hate taxis so much that I'd put up with pretty much anything just to spite them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like yeah I agree Uber as a company is poo poo but it's not something that you'd be able to enforce easily or cheaply.

Yes, this is why people have been pushing for an injunction against UberX operating in Toronto instead. Then the onus is on the company, not the "driver-partners", and if they continue operating there are financial and legal penalties that can be leveled against them.

Bear in mind, as it stands Uber, via UberX, is a company that operates by enticing people to break the law here in Toronto. Some people have a problem with this.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 11, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Daily Feel good story

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

If the taxi industry wanted more sympathy, they shouldn't have done everything possible to generate untold amounts of ill will among the population. Drivers taking bad routes to charge you more; drivers speeding away if you hail them and they don't like where you ask to go; drivers charging extra if you pay by card; drivers claiming the credit card machine is "broken" constantly; drivers flouting any number of traffic laws; drivers parking in no-parking zones, etc., etc.

Uber is a horrible company in a lot of ways, but I loving hate taxis so much that I'd put up with pretty much anything just to spite them.

Even leaving aside all of this, the way the taxi unions have been conducting themselves in response to the various uber incarnations has been something between a tantrum and a really lame crime spree. The stuff they're doing makes you want to root against them even if they are objectively in the right.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So you allocate a pile of police resources to have officers or bylaw officers continuously make new fake accounts and fine drivers or impound vehicles.

It's hardly a pile of resources, you get a guy, you give him a phone, he makes an account, books a ride, you have a tow truck meet you at the other end. Give it a good two or three days of very publicly hooking people's cars and you'll start to see that stuff drop off. And it has an added upside of generating revenue - which is basically what bylaw officers are for - because there's no point in contesting your fine if uber's already agreed to pay it on your behalf.

I completely agree that street-level enforcement is like trying to kill a snake by whacking it on the tail with a dead mouse, but in the absence of a more coherent legal strategy that tells uber the company to stop existing in your jurisdiction, it's all a municipality can be expected to do. If they're not doing it, then the victims of that crime (the cabbies) are within their rights to ask why. Just not by driving down the highway at 2 kilometres per day yapping incomprehensibly into a ten dollar megaphone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It's hardly a pile of resources, you get a guy, you give him a phone, he makes an account, books a ride, you have a tow truck meet you at the other end. Give it a good two or three days of very publicly hooking people's cars and you'll start to see that stuff drop off. And it has an added upside of generating revenue - which is basically what bylaw officers are for - because there's no point in contesting your fine if uber's already agreed to pay it on your behalf.

They did this, it's just that they stopped doing it when Tory did his 180 on Uber.

flakeloaf posted:

I completely agree that street-level enforcement is like trying to kill a snake by whacking it on the tail with a dead mouse, but in the absence of a more coherent legal strategy that tells uber the company to stop existing in your jurisdiction, it's all a municipality can be expected to do. If they're not doing it, then the victims of that crime (the cabbies) are within their rights to ask why. Just not by driving down the highway at 2 kilometres per day yapping incomprehensibly into a ten dollar megaphone.

Yeah the cabbies aren't terribly sympathetic, but the point of the protest was valid. If the city has identified Uber as a business that's operating illegally, why are they allowing them to continue to operate?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 11, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jason Kirby us actually a good journalist. Sorry he doesn't suck liberal party cock

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They should allow them to continue to operate because it makes the city a better place to live, and it should be the mandate of any municipal government to make that municipality a better place to live.

Sure, it may be against by-laws, but it's unquestionably a boon to the residents of the cities where it operates. What happened to all the "gently caress monopolies!" talk from a few pages ago? Taxis are the worst and they deserve to be hosed, even by pricks like Uber.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Corb Lund is a man after my own heart. Slot head and Phillips screws can all go to hell.

And to go back to the post office discussion, it actually costs more to ship small packages within Canada than it does to the USA and that seems completely insane to me. Hearing about mismanagement and stuff is starting to make that make more sense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Solenna posted:

Corb Lund is a man after my own heart. Slot head and Phillips screws can all go to hell.

This is very true. If you use a Phillips head screw where you could use a Robertson screw, you're basically worse than Hitler.

loving, loving bastardly Phillips-head screws...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

They should allow them to continue to operate because it makes the city a better place to live, and it should be the mandate of any municipal government to make that municipality a better place to live.

Sure, it may be against by-laws, but it's unquestionably a boon to the residents of the cities where it operates. What happened to all the "gently caress monopolies!" talk from a few pages ago? Taxis are the worst and they deserve to be hosed, even by pricks like Uber.

Because now you are allowing Uber to become the new monopoly in a year or two by squeezing taxis out via virture of being regulated and Uber not and don't think for a second Uber would continue to operate as nicely without competition.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Well, except that it doesn't.

It provides a better consumer experience much of the time, but it also relies on progressively loving over "driver-contractors" with lower fares and higher fees, tries to normalize vulnerable employment by classifying everyone as contractors regardless of how inappropriate it is, and the lack of supply controls leads to measurably worse traffic in already congested areas. Not to mention the problems that arise when you have improperly insured people operating a commercial vehicle.

The focus on the illegality of the service is because that's what the protests were about. The fact that there are plenty of good reasons for UberX as it is to be illegal, is secondary.

DariusLikewise posted:

Because now you are allowing Uber to become the new monopoly in a year or two by squeezing taxis out via virture of being regulated and Uber not and don't think for a second Uber would continue to operate as nicely without competition.

Uber doesn't operate nicely now.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 11, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uber is loving despicable. Taxis, at least in most cities here, refuse to adapt and that's why we're in this boat.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I should of said as cheaply. Uber will raise their prices everywhere else and their fees on drivers just like they have everywhere else.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'll be fine with uber as soon as they agree to two things: one is that all drivers must operate their vehicles under commercial insurance. Two: there must be a minimum number of handicapped accessible vehicles for hire at all times. People hate the taxi monopolies because of the lack of service and higher prices, but don't realize that at least some of the higher prices are because of these requirements. Taxi companies do need to deal with their poor customer service however.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I should of said as cheaply. Uber will raise their prices everywhere else and their fees on drivers just like they have everywhere else.

Yeah but see THE FREE MARKET will solve that problem because Uber competitors can spring up with no problems at all and definitely won't be destroyed by established monopolies, hell just look at how taxis were destroyed by Uber it's the free market at work and it can never be wrong!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

quote:

Create a prosperity strategy based on commercializing high-margin Canadian ideas and intellectual property. #BecauseIts2016, and IP is where the big wealth is.

– Jim Balsillie, former co-CEO of BlackBerry

This is the first sentence I read or hear from this dude and I already hate him to death

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Correct, except that they are smartly limiting their loving-over to current taxi drivers (who everyone hates), their own drivers (who nobody cares about), people with various disabilities who they are ignoring accessibility requirements for (ditto), while being exquisitely nice to the consensus of yuppies on social media who we are determined to mistake for public opinion and want absolutely everything cheaper and more convenient without demonstrating the tiniest bit of concern or empathy for anyone involved in supplying it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is the first sentence I read or hear from this dude and I already hate him to death

Now go back, and read what the dude convicted of hate speech said.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ikantski posted:

The schadenfreude is starting to roll in on the tax cut for people who understand tax brackets . I like it.

:psypop:

...You don't even need to understand tax brackets, just to take one minute to actually inform yourself about the loving promise!

The Liberal platform posted:

Canadians with taxable annual income between $44,700 and $89,401 will see their income tax rate fall.

oh gee i make 36k a year this is totes going to apply to me rite!??

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

Christy Clark says B.C. children's ministry to only get more funding if economy grows

Your daily reminder that the premier of BC is a rancid old oval office leading a pack of hyenas. MCFD has been frozen for fifteen loving years.

Announced a $100m corporate welfare package earlier in the week. :fuckoff:

That loving bitch promised a million jobs by 2020. Now it's a million by 2025.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Now go back, and read what the dude convicted of hate speech said.

Who's that? I thought everyone was gawking at what Ezra Levant said. Seriously what did he say because I can't make heads or tails out of it being anything BUT a potshot at Trudeau.

And TBH, I think Balsillie has a point. An innovating Canada with lots of room for future growth is much better than a Canada only selling oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but see THE FREE MARKET will solve that problem because Uber competitors can spring up with no problems at all and definitely won't be destroyed by established monopolies, hell just look at how taxis were destroyed by Uber it's the free market at work and it can never be wrong!

The barrier to entry is a lot lower for ridesharing services than it is for taxis. How would Uber 'destroy' its competitors?