Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do split cards count as having two CMCs for Kozilek's ability?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wastes needs to be drafted, you can't just grab as many as you need. Had wondered if they would provide them for land tables. Two versions so they are twice as common as a normal common.

Also confirmed that {D} is a going-forward mana symbol. Ian Duke also strongly implied that things costing specifically {D} was more of a Oath of the Gatewatch mechanic.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

SoftNum posted:

Also confirmed that {D} is a going-forward mana symbol. Ian Duke also strongly implied that things costing specifically {D} was more of a Oath of the Gatewatch mechanic.

It will probably be a sometimes-thing like hybrid and coloured artifacts

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do split cards count as having two CMCs for Kozilek's ability?

The card in your hand has two CMCs. The spell on the stack will have the CMC of the half cast (or the combined CMC, if Fused).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lancelot posted:

half cast
wow, racist

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im glad New Kozilek is real and that wastes are real and everything is as cryptic as reality itself

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guess OFS needs to take pictures with cats now.

In other news, this Kozilek is still rad as hell.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Oath will be the worst set ever

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

We're starting early, I see.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

(it was a joke)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Ulamog is better.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Wow look confirmation of the incredibly obvious mechanics. I still think new kozi is kind of bad but we will see. Also wastes as cards in pack is loving awful.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Was it loving awful in Coldsnap too?

That's not a challenge, I wasn't playing when Coldsnap came out and I honestly don't know whether it was loving awful or not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Someone please repost Kozilek 2 because I'm on my phone and too lazy to dog back through the thread for it.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Don't like the alt-art Wastes as much as the Bismuth one.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess the one on the left is Kozilek's and the one on the right is Ulamog's?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So who is all eating crow today?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The waste on the right just looks like a Mirrodin swamp.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Isn't it always? :colbert:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I actually like the new Wastes art quite a bit. It feels vast and barren and really communicates the flavor well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Isn't it always? :colbert:

No, everything in this thread should be taken literally and at face value. :geno:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Any spoilers besides the ones that were already leaked?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

Any spoilers besides the ones that were already leaked?

No. This presentation is probably the source.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with. 5th Dawn was my favorite set BTW.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Hopping Ghost posted:

That's not a challenge, I wasn't playing when Coldsnap came out and I honestly don't know whether it was loving awful or not.

It wasn't the worst, it just wasn't super well executed. The main problem in Coldsnap was that the snow cards weren't really a good enough payoff 90% of the time. Special lands like this kind of gave to be draftable cards because the alternative has a lot of logistical problems; is Wizards going to send every store a massive pile of Wastes to keep with their free basic lands? Drafting cards with special mana costs is supposed to be costly, presumably <> specific cards are going to be more powerful than regular colorless counterparts and allowing any number of Wastes to be picked up for free removes a lot of the tension they're trying to add.

I think it will turn out better this time because A) there will be two packs of OGW per draft, making Wastes a fairly easy pick up if you need it and B) this format has Evolving Wilds, Blighted Woodland, and Eldrazi Scions, making it much easier to come across the colorless mana you need if you commit to taking the D, but taking enablers like that don't pigeon-hole you if you need to change strategy mid-draft, whereas in Coldsnap the Snow cards and lands were super parasitic.

I actually almost hope they put Evolving Wilds in Oath too, for that reason. That or another Pilgrim's Eye type card at common. Also Pilgrim's Eye should have been a common :colbert:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with.

This is my one gripe about this whole thing: it seems really antithetical to Devoid. But the rest of the set could easily alleviate those problems. However I think characterizing the colorless costs mechanic as all-in or parasitic is a misevaluation.

I didn't see the presentation, did they really say there are only twelve colorless costed cards or are you just joking around?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hopping Ghost posted:

nah man drafting snow basics in coldsnap was the best, only second to picking up every copy of surging sentinels and surging dementia or krovikian mists.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with. 5th Dawn was my favorite set BTW.

What is parasitic about this mechanic?

Also, it functions with all of the cards in bfz that make scions or fetch basics or tap for colorless on their own.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Zoness posted:

nah man drafting snow basics in coldsnap was the best, only second to picking up every copy of surging sentinels and surging dementia or krovikian mists.

First pick R/G snow land second third fourth pick Ronom Hulk was awesome.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

Ripple was a sweet mechanic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

This is my one gripe about this whole thing: it seems really antithetical to Devoid. But the rest of the set could easily alleviate those problems. However I think characterizing the colorless costs mechanic as all-in or parasitic is a misevaluation.

It's also antithetical to Converge, and to regular deck-building which doesn't get colorless without Lodestone Golem around it's either a cost easily mitigated, making the stunt pointless to even introduce, or it demands centering deckbuilding around it or not using it at all, parasitic.

quote:

I didn't see the presentation, did they really say there are only twelve colorless costed cards or are you just joking around?

Well it's a theme in a small set, it's not gonna get much action, u less they abandon themes from BFZ and make those the disappointing wastes of time.

Regardless it won't look pretty.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
I find it funny that "Hearthstone" is censored on the Magic stream now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

These are all correct.

Draft blows, who cares, hail our hopefully eternal playable wastelords

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

wrongo bub

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Draft blows, who cares, hail our hopefully eternal playable wastelords

who are you, TheLordofWastes?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NivMizzet posted:

I find it funny that "Hearthstone" is censored on the Magic stream now.

Odd, since hearthstone would be a perfect name for an artifact.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Odd, since hearthstone would be a perfect name for an artifact.

Well, we do have a HEARTstone artifact

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A mechanic that requires you to make deckbuilding considerations? Oh no!!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A mechanic that requires you to make deckbuilding considerations? Oh no!!

weird, hearthstone has one of those too :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's parasitic in the sense that green is parasitic. If you want to run green creatures in your deck, you need to include lands that produce G.

• Locked thread