Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
God drat Jeb's attorney has got to be one smug mf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm morbidly curious, are Muslims now less trusted than Atheists?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's disgusting.

America doesn't rent hotels by the hour; it goes against everything our zoning laws stand for. When you purchase a room in America, you purchase it for a night.
They are called Love Hotels and while I know your accusation of disgust is on a financial level they actually tend to be very posh. This ain't "swing by a motel for anonymous internet sex" we're talking about.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

They are called Love Hotels and while I know your accusation of disgust is on a financial level they actually tend to be very posh.

They sound like something which would fall under your city's brothel laws. Why would you want to restore brothels to your city and needlessly piss off the churchgoing vote?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jesus wept.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

They sound like something which would fall under your city's brothel laws. Why would you want to restore brothels to your city and needlessly piss off the churchgoing vote?
I mean, it works for the fine taxpayers of Nevada.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

America doesn't rent hotels by the hour; it goes against everything our zoning laws stand for. When you purchase a room in America, you purchase it for a night.

There are plenty of lovely motels in America that rent rooms by the hour, not explicitly for loving, but it's very much implied.

Like, I know you're a gimmick, but you're just wrong here.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Shut up, MIGF. You know nothing, you contribute nothing, you are a void into which blessedly ignorant posters reply and emit only poo poo in response. Even on ignore, you post too much.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Shut up, MIGF. You know nothing, you contribute nothing, you are a void into which blessedly ignorant posters reply and emit only poo poo in response. Even on ignore, you post too much.
It's a harmless subject and I'm bored.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Confirming there are hourly motels in my [midwestern] city.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

There are plenty of lovely motels in America that rent rooms by the hour, not explicitly for loving, but it's very much implied.

Like, I know you're a gimmick, but you're just wrong here.

And those hourly hotels are often used to facilitate the drug trade and prostitution, vices which Americans do not wish to encourage the spread of.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

JT Jag posted:

No one buys MIGF's shtick anymore, for instance.

:sigh:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
americans love vice, dummy. you allegedly live in chicago, you should know this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
(he doesnt actually live in chicago, lmao)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

5 posts feeding MiGF.

edit: 7

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Anderron Shi posted:

Confirming there are hourly motels in my [midwestern] city.

poo poo, there's one across 8 Mile from the end of my street.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

And those hourly hotels are often used to facilitate the drug trade and prostitution, vices which Americans do not wish to encourage the spread of.
And yet these hotels still exist. Clearly the free market has decided there's a need for them! You think I'm taking him seriously just because of the back and fourth? Nah, I just don't use my ignore list. And I have nothing better to do than to right now. It's basically like pulling the cord on one of those dolls with a voicebox for me.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

(he doesnt actually live in chicago, lmao)

I'm out of town for work. It's a Presidential election cycle, for pete's sake. I will return, and I will return to a better city, a more harmonious city, a city that is working on becoming one city rather than the current black metropolis and the rest of Chicago, all thanks to the tireless efforts of Mayor Emanuel.

JT Jag posted:

And yet these hotels still exist. Clearly the free market has decided there's a need for them!
You think I'm taking him seriously just because of the back and fourth? Nah, I just don't use my ignore list. And I have nothing better to do than to right now. It's basically like pulling the cord on one of those dolls with a voicebox for me.

Unfortunately, the free market has also decided there's a place for Backpages.

That doesn't mean its right, nor does it mean it should be encouraged with assistive zoning laws.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why won't Obummer let us exploit our employees even more :cry:

quote:

While the upfront costs were lower for Munchery with a work force of contractors — who receive a 1099 form for their taxes rather than the W-2 reserved for employees — this approach was ultimately bad for business.

There was too much turnover, while high-volume periods, like the Super Bowl or days with miserable weather, were a challenge.

When “lots of people want food delivered,” said Kris Fredrickson, the company’s vice president for operations, “on a 1099 model it’s tougher to compel them to show up.”

Under an employment model, by contrast, the company has a much more reliable and knowledgeable work force, one that can be held to a specific standard of quality and a more consistent schedule. Company executives said the additional 20 to 30 percent in costs have more than paid for themselves.

[...]

While the upfront costs were lower for Munchery with a work force of contractors — who receive a 1099 form for their taxes rather than the W-2 reserved for employees — this approach was ultimately bad for business.

There was too much turnover, while high-volume periods, like the Super Bowl or days with miserable weather, were a challenge.

When “lots of people want food delivered,” said Kris Fredrickson, the company’s vice president for operations, “on a 1099 model it’s tougher to compel them to show up.”

Under an employment model, by contrast, the company has a much more reliable and knowledgeable work force, one that can be held to a specific standard of quality and a more consistent schedule. Company executives said the additional 20 to 30 percent in costs have more than paid for themselves.

And Munchery, it turns out, is only one of many on-demand companies to have made the transition in recent years.

After Instacart, the on-demand grocery delivery service, was started in 2012, it became known as the “Uber for groceries.” A worker would fire up the Instacart app on a smartphone, accept an order, drive to the desired supermarket to buy the goods, then drop them off at the customer’s home.

But turnover was higher than the company preferred, and service quality was lower: There were too many missed items and too much bruised produce. It was also highly inefficient to pay drivers to make the trip from their homes to the store to the customer.

This year, Instacart reimagined its model. Thanks to partnerships with leading supermarkets, teams of designated shoppers now embed in each store and respond quickly to orders. Instacart has made them bona fide employees who receive training and will be judged on how well they do their jobs.

The shoppers then pass the order along to drivers, who remain independent contractors. The only requirement for drivers, who receive no training or instructions, is that they have a license and a clean record, and can navigate their way around town.

While the company is still refining the business model, said Nikhil Shanbhag, an Instacart vice president, “we’ve seen a cadre of workers who are better, have fewer issues than we used to see before in terms of missed items, bad produce. They are getting more and more efficient.”

There are certainly legitimate gray areas in the laws governing the online gig economy. In a comment that has since been widely circulated, a federal judge in California hearing a case brought by Lyft drivers brooded earlier this year that “the jury in this case will be handed a square peg and asked to choose between two round holes.”

In their analysis, Mr. Krueger and Mr. Harris posit a situation in which a single driver has both the Uber and Lyft apps open simultaneously before accepting a passenger. If the drivers were employees — and potentially eligible to be compensated for time spent waiting for passengers, not just driving passengers — they ask, “Who should pay the driver for this waiting time?” (The new report was carried out for the Hamilton Project, a research group, but Mr. Krueger previously co-wrote a study of Uber drivers that was commissioned by the company.)

But even these hard cases often are not necessarily as hard as they initially appear. Benjamin I. Sachs, a Harvard law professor who is a former union official, notes that the drivers may only need to be paid from the point at which they have agreed to pick up a particular rider.

And such cases appear to be relatively rare even in the gig economy, which itself is a tiny fraction of the economy over all, less than 1 percent of employment in the United States, according to an estimate by Mr. Krueger and Mr. Harris.

More fundamentally, Uber and Lyft face the same basic questions that Munchery and Instacart do: Do they want control over their workers or not?

Companies that do — and there are some indications that these ride-hailing platforms are among them, with practices like deactivating drivers who do not maintain certain quality ratings — are frequently considered employers in the eyes of the law.

“What I know about the nature of the control exercised by Uber and Lyft over the way the work is performed, and the fact that the drivers perform a service integral to the business model itself, provide a strong indication of an employment relationship,” said Wilma B. Liebman, a former chairwoman of the National Labor Relations Board.

Both Uber and Lyft maintain the contrary.

Another fear among venture capitalists and tech executives is that these innovative companies are being coerced by the threat of litigation and a crackdown by regulators to upgrade their workers’ status even if they only engage in one or two practices — like training — that are common among employers.

“You have regulatory bodies suing people, lawyers out there suing people,” said Simon Rothman, a venture capitalist at Greylock Partners, who is on the board of an on-demand firm. “Many start-ups can’t withstand a lawsuit even if a company is in the right.”

To fix this, regulators could simply clarify the criteria that suggest employment or independent contractor status — categories that, in theory at least, already give businesses a fair amount of flexibility because no one factor carries the day. “Courts and regulating agencies look at the totality,” said David Rolf, president of a large service employees union in the Northwest. “Training in and of itself is not determinative.”

So basically: we want to treat them like employees but that's too expensive and 20th century for the INTERNET AGE of contractors.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm out of town for work. It's a Presidential election cycle, for pete's sake. I will return, and I will return to a better city, a more harmonious city, a city that is working on becoming one city rather than the current black metropolis and the rest of Chicago, all thanks to the tireless efforts of Mayor Emanuel.

You should come to Cincinnati.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

JT Jag posted:

You think I'm taking him seriously just because of the back and fourth? Nah, I just don't use my ignore list. And I have nothing better to do than to right now. It's basically like pulling the cord on one of those dolls with a voicebox for me.

So like the irritating kids in a department store who set off the same doll over and over while their parents give up on life?

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

An Angry Bug posted:

So like the irritating kids in a department store who set off the same doll over and over while their parents give up on life?

Your mistake was bringing them there in the first place.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's disgusting.

We've certainly had that sort of motel in the past, if we don't still have them. They're obvious prostitution dens.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

They're hourly and priced accordingly.

I can't wait for the hourly version of Air BnB.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hulk Krogan posted:

I can't wait for the hourly version of Air BnB.

Lol if you don't think AirBnB is already used for this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

haveblue posted:

i feel like having the potential for death by shoddy upkeep would really put a damper on the mood, but i guess people have schtupped under more trying circumstances

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

haveblue posted:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

haveblue posted:

I mean it obviously is, but you still pay nightly, no?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JT Jag posted:

They are called Love Hotels and while I know your accusation of disgust is on a financial level they actually tend to be very posh. This ain't "swing by a motel for anonymous internet sex" we're talking about.

I had a co-worker who ended up having to stay in one while in Japan (no hotel rooms available otherwise at per diem rate) and he mentioned it wasn't seedy or anything. I was surprised, because I assumed they'd be like the few still existing hourly hotels around locally, i.e. a place to go to get high or bang out a cheap hooker.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House just passed, by voice vote, a five day CR, so the government is funded through next Wednesday. :toot:

There is no legislative work in the House on Monday so it's hard to see how Paul Ryan will get around the 72 hour rule the House Republicans set up to review all bills. Unless he ignores that. But he'd never do that, would he? This is a new day with Speaker Ryan. None of that business Boehner used to pull.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I wish the Ignore List would also ignore quotes by that person. In this thread everyone loves getting trolled and quoting their troll so they can Prove Them Wrong so I don't know why I bother. :sigh:

In other news...

quote:

The U.S. abortion rate has declined by more than one-third over the past two decades to a record low, federal officials reported Friday.

Abortions fell 35 percent between 1990 and 2010, reaching 17.7 procedures per 1,000 women aged 15 to 44, said report lead author Sally Curtin, a statistician for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics.

That's the lowest abortion rate since the CDC began tracking the procedure in 1976, Curtin said.

Read the full article if you want to hear pro-life people gloat over how their "pregnancy care centers" and work to increase the stigma of abortion clearly deserves all the credit :jerkbag:

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Is there a reason that nobody is talking about the 25% of Democrats that do not oppose Trump's ban on Muslims in that NBC poll?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SavageBastard posted:

Is there a reason that nobody is talking about the 25% of Democrats that do not oppose Trump's ban on Muslims in that NBC poll?

The woman running for Barbara Boxer's seat on the Democratic ticket gave a speech saying 20% of Muslims are "willing to use terrorism"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SavageBastard posted:

Lest we forget, there is likely a bias to this poll towards underreporting of the willingness to ban muslims. Of course folks don't show their true feelings to people they've never met calling them on the phone. Question is, how many Americans would be willing to live with a fully constitutional ban on islamic aliens?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The woman running for Barbara Boxer's seat on the Democratic ticket gave a speech saying 20% of Muslims are "willing to use terrorism"

Don't misrepresent her statements. I believe she stated that between 5 and 20 percent of muslims in the arab world want a caliph and are sympathetic towards terrorist organizations like ISIL.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@ryanlizza: Conspiracy theory I've started to see in right-wing comment sections: Paul Ryan's beard may be a sign he's converted to Islam.

I hope he's kidding, but I seriously can't tell anymore.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SavageBastard posted:

There's a contingent of Dems who seem universally concerned with out-National Security'ing the Rs by running rightward on anything connected to terrorism as fast as they can.

And putting a discriminatory ban on immigration that everyone then forgets about and just lets hang around for decades is kinda America's thing, really, since only foreigners are affected.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

The House just passed, by voice vote, a five day CR, so the government is funded through next Wednesday. :toot:

There is no legislative work in the House on Monday so it's hard to see how Paul Ryan will get around the 72 hour rule the House Republicans set up to review all bills. Unless he ignores that. But he'd never do that, would he? This is a new day with Speaker Ryan. None of that business Boehner used to pull.

Glad to see Ryan also sticking with his "no more waiting until the the last moment (deadlines) to govern" stuff too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I wouldn't put it past the right wing to believe that another muslim has infiltrated high government. First Obama, now Ryan; thank god for Joe Biden.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3370085/posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SavageBastard posted:

I can't imagine anyone maliciously misrepresenting themselves by saying "democrat" and "do not oppose" to an internet poll

• Locked thread