Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Friar Zucchini posted:

And I don't want my top-level combat armor to be loving white of all things, either, like at least have it be a more subtle color, drat. Or better, let me pick the color.

By the time I got Ballistic Weave, I started to not give a poo poo about combat armor mods. You're losing, what, a point or two of armor if you turn it black or green? When you've got 20 armor points, that matters. When you've got 300? gently caress it.

And yeah, X-01's helmet looks lovely, but the armor itself I don't mind. I think they missed an opportunity with the Power Armor by making each set demonstrably better than the others. Give them unique abilities- like only giving T-45 the sprint boost and T-51 some arm stabilizers for aiming and T-60 the jetpack or something. I like a mix and match approach but there's literally no reason to do it.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I like that the drug dealers trying to get caps out of the diner-vendor become permanent objects when killed that regenerate their equipment every couple of days just like buildings. Are there any other named npc's like that I can routinely loot high level stuff from or did I just get glitched bodies?

I helped them out instead and now they deal me drugs. Sweet, sweet jet~

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Any ranks in rifleman? My .50 does over 100 dmg without the stealth multiplier

I need at least 200 to be worth it for a slow firing weapon. And yes, I've got the 4th Rifleman rank. Just got an Explosive legendary when I was clearing out the Institute for the Brotherhood end-game mission so that does help, I'm all the way up to 156 damage per shot with this one. Meanwhile my Gauss rifle, Ender of Deathclaws, puts out 345, Old Faithful puts out 258 for the first shot on an undamaged target, and Overseer's Guardian with a .308 receiver puts out 162 with a rate of fire that's limited by recoil more than anything else. I've got a simple reflex sight on Overseer's Guardian cause since it fires reasonably fast I keep it around for high DPS against enemies that are both strong and fast, so it's got a higher Range stat but it's no sniper.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Friar Zucchini posted:

I need at least 200 to be worth it for a slow firing weapon. And yes, I've got the 4th Rifleman rank. Just got an Explosive legendary when I was clearing out the Institute for the Brotherhood end-game mission so that does help, I'm all the way up to 156 damage per shot with this one. Meanwhile my Gauss rifle, Ender of Deathclaws, puts out 345, Old Faithful puts out 258 for the first shot on an undamaged target, and Overseer's Guardian with a .308 receiver puts out 162 with a rate of fire that's limited by recoil more than anything else. I've got a simple reflex sight on Overseer's Guardian cause since it fires reasonably fast I keep it around for high DPS against enemies that are both strong and fast, so it's got a higher Range stat but it's no sniper.
Overseer's Guardian with .308 will absolutely murder your ammo reserves.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

coyo7e posted:

Overseer's Guardian with .308 will absolutely murder your ammo reserves.

And everything else too so it all works out in the end :getin:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
props to whoever suggested a rank in scrounger, I'm finding more ammo than I know what to do with

also the purified water farm was a drat good idea, Sanctuary is now producing 200+ fresh water whenever I head back there

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

TorakFade posted:

And everything else too so it all works out in the end :getin:
Pretty much this. I usually keep Overseer's Guardian stashed and only pick it up when I'm getting ready for a hard fight. It sits next to my Big Boy, instigating quad--barrel missile launcher, and gatling laser in my Big Box of Death. Same with power armor, it usually gathers dust until I really need it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

JawKnee posted:

props to whoever suggested a rank in scrounger, I'm finding more ammo than I know what to do with

also the purified water farm was a drat good idea, Sanctuary is now producing 200+ fresh water whenever I head back there

now fix Smiling Larry with console commands, apparently that's where Bethesda intended for people to shop for high end ammo and you can get him fairly early (Cambridge Polymer Labs or Med-Tek), except he's broken in multiple ways and either doesn't spawn, does spawn but won't go to a settlement, or will go to a settlement but won't do any work.

code:
prid 0002f2a7
moveto player
enable
setpv bAllowMove 1
setpv bCommandable 1
you need to fast travel away and back for it to stick, also you need at least 30 settlers in one supply-linked network. if you fix him and put him on a level 3 vendor shop, he sells dozens of .50, .308, 2mm EC and whatnot per cycle.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is the assault rifle any good? I just got a double shot legendary one and idk what mods to throw on it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Is the assault rifle any good? I just got a double shot legendary one and idk what mods to throw on it

Very good. Unless it's full-auto it counts as semi-auto so the Rifleman perk works for it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I can't remember where I ran into this and I don't think it was a random event because it required the setting to make sense. I cam across a raider mourning and paying respects to a dead comrade they were burying, and instead of being an interesting event to make the raider sympathetic, he just gets up when you approach and attacks. Just another example of missed opportunities.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Wish I had found it sooner, but I had a unlimited ammo .302 hunting rifle drop. Any recommended mods to make full use of the unlimited ammo?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lunatikfringe posted:

Wish I had found it sooner, but I had a unlimited ammo .302 hunting rifle drop. Any recommended mods to make full use of the unlimited supply?

player.additem 1f66b 10000

go hog wild

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Speedball posted:

I know they want you to just chill and explore on foot but a faster way of land travel might be interesting. I don't necessarily want another Highwayman, though. I'd like either a horse or a motorcycle! Y'know. And later on in the game you encounter a 50's style Greaser biker gang.

Hell, give me a rideable robot motorcycle like MGSV did!
A mobile base would do as well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

lunatikfringe posted:

Wish I had found it sooner, but I had a unlimited ammo .302 hunting rifle drop. Any recommended mods to make full use of the unlimited ammo?

Unlimited magazine size, not unlimited ammo.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Unlimited magazine size, not unlimited ammo.

I was way off. Thanks for the correction. Still nice not to have to reload, not a bad effect for a sniper rifle.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

lunatikfringe posted:

I was way off. Thanks for the correction. Still nice not to have to reload, not a bad effect for a sniper rifle.

It's still one of the best legendary effects, but they phrase it a way virtually everyone misunderstands what they got the first time they pick one up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"bottomless capacity" would be a better descriptor and probably one of the first things i would rename once we get the Fallout 4 Creation Kit aka the F4CK

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JawKnee posted:

For whatever reason mine isn't. I've got 900 water at the castle and never get squat. Not that I actually care, nothing to spend the caps on anyway, but it still irks me

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Speedball posted:

Very good. Unless it's full-auto it counts as semi-auto so the Rifleman perk works for it.
Seriously, you got lucky here. The only bad thing about it is the weight is ridiculous but it's powerful enough without any legendary features, so a double shot assault rifle is pretty much the best weapon in the game. You can do pretty much whatever you want and you'll come out on top. I tend to prefer better damage per shot rather than DPS so I can conserve ammo, but I'm just playing on Normal so with the base-level ammo-hunter perk I've got more than I know what to do with, so depending on what difficulty level you're at I'd say you could throw on the highest-level automatic receiver you can get depending on what level you're at with the gun mod perk and just lay waste.

That weight makes me think, though. If I was gonna design the game, just from looking at present stats I'd call the assault rifle a light machine gun instead, automatic by default with a .308 max-level upgrade, without changing any weight stats, and add a separate lightweight assault rifle based on the AR-15 wait no, AR-10! platform like the New Vegas service rifle. I wouldn't change any level-caps so the new LMG and service rifle would still be high-level weapons with the combat rifle a step below. But it's stupid that the combat rifle uses .45, maybe add a Colt 1911 and swap the combat rifle to a new .30 Carbine ammo type instead.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a two shot rapid "assault rifle" is the highest dps weapon in the game bar modding things

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I flirted with Preston but ultimately turned him away. An in-game week later, he asks me if I changed my mind and I reject him again. Somehow, this feels more amusing and cruel than anything I've done in the entire Fallout series.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

a two shot rapid "assault rifle" is the highest dps weapon in the game bar modding things

Of course, if your fights last for exactly one shot because you have a 400+ damage gauss rifle with a 5.9x sneak attack multiplier, DPS ceases to be a useful metric.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Are assault rifles slightly weaker but faster shooting than combat rifles because none I ever found or could mod to ever had a bigger damage number than my combat rifles.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Are assault rifles slightly weaker but faster shooting than combat rifles because none I ever found or could mod to ever had a bigger damage number than my combat rifles.
effectively, yes, and for some reason combat rifles use .45 despite two guns using .45 already

two shot adds a 100% base damage flat addition regardless of what other mods have been put in it, so the best reciever on a two shot weapon is rapid since it has the highest damage penalty so instead of 65% damage per shot you're getting 165% damage per shot split into two bullets

you have to invest fairly heavily in ~perks~ to make alpha damage weapons really good but making non-heavy automatic weapons good is fairly relatively cheap

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Caufman posted:

I flirted with Preston but ultimately turned him away. An in-game week later, he asks me if I changed my mind and I reject him again. Somehow, this feels more amusing and cruel than anything I've done in the entire Fallout series.

On my last playthrough I got to idolized with Piper without flirting or romance. She still keeps harassing my PC with the last romance dialogue every now again, comes across as very pushy but also funny

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So I'm about to do The Molecular Level, and I'm pained to choose a faction: I like the Brotherhood, Railroad, and Minutemen for their own reasons, and wouldn't mind keeping them around, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on quests.

What happens if I decide to build the device myself without getting the help of any one faction? Do I get to avoid making anyone my enemy? Or would I miss out on a ton of quests as a result?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I like that the drug dealers trying to get caps out of the diner-vendor become permanent objects when killed that regenerate their equipment every couple of days just like buildings. Are there any other named npc's like that I can routinely loot high level stuff from or did I just get glitched bodies?

Mine do this as well. They also spawn new raiders that start unloading their guns into my skull from point blank range before my screen loads every time I pop back there for anything.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rohaq posted:

So I'm about to do The Molecular Level, and I'm pained to choose a faction: I like the Brotherhood, Railroad, and Minutemen for their own reasons, and wouldn't mind keeping them around, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on quests.

What happens if I decide to build the device myself without getting the help of any one faction? Do I get to avoid making anyone my enemy? Or would I miss out on a ton of quests as a result?

You have to pick one side for this particular quest. I think you can pick whoever you want for the end game, since doing the Molecular Level quest doesn't make anyone your enemy, but each faction has a single location you can pick to build it and that faction is the one that gets you into the Institute, but they don't need to be the same faction that destroys it. In fact, as far as I can tell, this is the only way you can even pick the Institute end-game. The point where you pick your end-game faction comes later on. I used the Brotherhood and I could only build it at Boston Airport and I'd never built a drat thing there until the quest told me to. I did some Railroad quests afterwards - Desdemona got kinda bitchy afterwards but I still got a few levels' worth of XP from their quests later on until the Bro'hood told me to exterminate the Railroad, and it wasn't until that quest started that the game made them my enemy. You'll never use the teleporter after this initial mission since you can just fast-travel to the Institute afterwards.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite method of DPS is to draw my bottomless double barrel with the Advanced receiver (fire rate of 180+) and pop jet as I lunge into their face hammering the button like a madman. It's fun!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just take out my fatman or violent missile launcher and abuse MacCready's infini-headshot love perk :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

coyo7e posted:

After you get a stealth book or two and 3 or 4 points in stealth perk, you can be wearing power armor and pickpocket raiders and supermutants pretty drat easily.
This was with 3 stealth perks. The noise penalties for armor weight still seem incredibly, unnecessarily harsh. If it wasn't for VATS teleportation melee stealth would be virtually impossible.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

coyo7e posted:

After you get a stealth book or two and 3 or 4 points in stealth perk, you can be wearing power armor and pickpocket raiders and supermutants pretty drat easily.
Yes but why bother pickpocketing them when you can just kill them and search them later when they're dead? :colbert:

...serious question actually, that's basically free XP if you're high level and want their poo poo, just kill the fucker.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rohaq posted:

Minutemen stay around no matter what, I believe.

I believe there's a way to stay in the good graces of both the Brotherhood and the Railroad, but it involves doing quests in a very specific order and I don't think there's really much benefit to doing so.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Is there a mod that makes settlers really tiny when they join the Minute Men?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mega64 posted:

Minutemen stay around no matter what, I believe.

I believe there's a way to stay in the good graces of both the Brotherhood and the Railroad, but it involves doing quests in a very specific order and I don't think there's really much benefit to doing so.

The way to do it is to fail the Railroad quest Undercover Underground before completing Liberty Prime. Fail the quest by getting kicked out of the Institute. The easiest way to do so is to talk to Father after siding against the Institute in the Battle of Bunker Hill. This bums out the Railroad, leading to you autocompleting Burning Cover (the trigger for failing the Railroad chain; because you can no longer infiltrate the Institute you can no longer aid the Railroad and they place their hopes in the Minutemen). Afterwards you can talk to Preston Garvey about it and decide the best way to combat the Institute is to strengthen the Minutemen by rallying in settlements, giving you the Form Ranks quest. Establish enough and talk to Preston again and he'll warn you that the Castle is under attack, starting the Defend the Castle quest. Completing this quest auto-fails all BoS quests for some vague reason but keeps them friendly towards you, and also locks you on the Minutemen route.

This route leads to the Minutemen ending and only the Institute destroyed. All other factions are friendly to you.

e: tldr the points of no return for the three factions are Undercover Underground, Form Ranks if you fail UU, and constructing Liberty Prime then taking the quest to destroy the Railroad for the Brotherhood afterwards.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 11, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any way to store food that allows me to use it for crafting but prevents every rear end in a top hat in the place eating it all?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Friar Zucchini posted:

Seriously, you got lucky here. The only bad thing about it is the weight is ridiculous but it's powerful enough without any legendary features, so a double shot assault rifle is pretty much the best weapon in the game. You can do pretty much whatever you want and you'll come out on top. I tend to prefer better damage per shot rather than DPS so I can conserve ammo, but I'm just playing on Normal so with the base-level ammo-hunter perk I've got more than I know what to do with, so depending on what difficulty level you're at I'd say you could throw on the highest-level automatic receiver you can get depending on what level you're at with the gun mod perk and just lay waste.

That weight makes me think, though. If I was gonna design the game, just from looking at present stats I'd call the assault rifle a light machine gun instead, automatic by default with a .308 max-level upgrade, without changing any weight stats, and add a separate lightweight assault rifle based on the AR-15 wait no, AR-10! platform like the New Vegas service rifle. I wouldn't change any level-caps so the new LMG and service rifle would still be high-level weapons with the combat rifle a step below. But it's stupid that the combat rifle uses .45, maybe add a Colt 1911 and swap the combat rifle to a new .30 Carbine ammo type instead.

I think I saw someone poked around in the files and saw that the Assault Rifle was named "Machine Gun" in there, and I've seen a screenshot of an unfinished model for a chinese assault rifle more similar to like an AK.

My guess is they originally planned the existing Assault Rifle to be Machine Gun, and have the Chinese Assault Rifle between that and Combat Rifle, but changed their minds for whatever reason.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I just took a new lvl 10 unarmed character through the Museum of Freedom quest.

It was fun fist-fighting a death claw without the power armor. I basically spammed Jet and tried like hell to avoid that one-hit-kill grab they have.

Really odd that the raiders didn't react to that in the slightest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

New Leaf posted:

And yeah, X-01's helmet looks lovely, but the armor itself I don't mind. I think they missed an opportunity with the Power Armor by making each set demonstrably better than the others. Give them unique abilities- like only giving T-45 the sprint boost and T-51 some arm stabilizers for aiming and T-60 the jetpack or something. I like a mix and match approach but there's literally no reason to do it.

You can always just wear the X-01 without a helmet with shades and a chef's hat.

• Locked thread