Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going to be interesting in ~20 years when millennials have kids all grown up so we can see if they do a "you're 18 GTFO" or double down on letting the kids stay until ready to move out.

Assuming we aren't in a financially ruined hellscape where you need to have multiple generations under one roof just to have enough money company scrip to keep the bills paid.

Further evidence that the USSR got the last laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ReidRansom posted:

You can't self select for white, it's granted by consensus from other confirmed and accepted whites.

He was a rapist cop, I'm pretty sure he passed the test.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

Schlicter is a favorite Weird Twitter punching bag, he's hilariously thin-skinned, confrontational, and defaults to "I'm too busy loving my hot wife" as a defense mechanism.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I will never not read this dude's name as Shitlicker. It's not even me being petty - my brain just automatically does it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "And Jesus Christ says we need to forgive, but I’m not like that."

And the next line: And then, he added, “I think we need to kill all the Muslims we can kill.”

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kasich Super PAC Attacks Trump Over His Discontinued Line of Steaks (No, Seriously)

quote:

And they even created a Trump-as-Pac-man parody game...

But what’s even more amazing is the names of the high-scorers on the game; decidedly not Kasich fans...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rhesus Pieces posted:

How do "super-religious" people miss the whole point of their religion so badly? Do they actually go to church? What the gently caress is their pastor even droning on about?

Because they aren't Christians they are non-religious Paulists. To them religion is not something that inspires you to help your fellow man or lead a more fulfilled life, it's something that provides divine cover for your pre-existing prejudices. Worshiping in a congregation is not a gathering of spiritual people coming together to become something larger than their individual selves, it's a social club where membership confers "goodness" or "righteousness". Just like their Saint they get so bogged down in the weeds of whether or not women can teach, how much is ok to drink, is it ok to have "x" kind of sex, that they never actually bother to look at the words of their Messiah.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Jesus Christ. gently caress those people. They are loving insane.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Dow and DuPont are planning on merging, then splitting into three separate companies

Cmon DOJ antitrust, do something

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I sort of want to commission a furry fetish artist to draw Kasich transforming into an anthro rhino and see if I can get the news to unwittingly use it as a graphic or for it to show up unironically on conservative facebook memes.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

this is a garbage fuckin article, lmbo

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DOOP posted:

So Dow and DuPont are planning on merging, then splitting into three separate companies

Cmon DOJ antitrust, do something

Doesn't it seem ludicrous that Microsoft was nearly split up over something that wouldn't even make the DOJ bat an eye today?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pick posted:

I sort of want to commission a furry fetish artist to draw Kasich transforming into an anthro rhino and see if I can get the news to unwittingly use it as a graphic or for it to show up unironically on conservative facebook memes.

This says a lot about you. Glad you shared.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's always fun to point out a lot of the really serious structural problems in the US political system but Jesus Christ what a stupid doomsday screed. I especially liked the part with all the footnotes and citations.

For extra fun, read the comments :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

this is a garbage fuckin article, lmbo

Most of the beginning is but it does make some good points.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Unlike most MIGF stuff, this is on-point and important. Lots of people are willing to say they oppose something that's as obviously vile as the Muslim ban while voting for it in secret when they are unaccountable. I'm seriously worried this means we're undercounting the racist Trump supporters and he finds a way to ninja the election. I'm uncertain of what happens then, but it isn't good and I doubt the pogrom level stuff will stop with Muslims.

They had a good bit on News Hour the other night about how polls can be subtly skewed. One big point is that polling companies can legally only auto dial land lines, which probably throws things way off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Radbot posted:

Doesn't it seem ludicrous that Microsoft was nearly split up over something that wouldn't even make the DOJ bat an eye today?

Nope

Because I don't remember that. Or what I had for breakfast

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

They had a good bit on News Hour the other night about how polls can be subtly skewed. One big point is that polling companies can legally only auto dial land lines, which probably throws things way off.

There isn't really enough solid evidence to actually show this.

And, if I recall correctly, Nate Silver was positing the exact opposite. That people with land lines are actually more likely to vote.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Solution: Don't ask if the phonelines you're autodialing are landlines or not.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

El Anansi posted:

Schlicter is a favorite Weird Twitter punching bag, he's hilariously thin-skinned, confrontational, and defaults to "I'm too busy loving my hot wife" as a defense mechanism.

He's currently in a slap fight with Patton Oswalt.

quote:

I always appreciate when a malignant dwarf from the local Chuckle Hut offers me man lessons I didn't get at Airborne School.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ms committed many many anti trust violations in the 90s. They got hammered. The proposed solution got overtaken by technology changing and now it does not matter as much

Really though they were so bad in the 90s

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Really though they were so bad in the 90s

Who wasn't "grimey in the early nineties" though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So a Muslim veteran somehow ended up on the no-fly list and is stuck outside the US for the second time. Now he's in a Turkish jail until he can get past the no-fly list with the embassy's help. Naturally, Fox News picked up some unsourced garbage from an Islamophobic website about how he's actually an ISIS member arrested in Turkey. This spread across the news media and even to the local news of the city where he lives in Oklahoma. I hate this loving country so much.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And, if I recall correctly, Nate Silver was positing the exact opposite. That people with land lines are actually more likely to vote.

I buy the landline thing not being an issue, in that landlines skew older and older people vote more. However, a reverse Wilder effect (where racist trash are willing to say they won't vote for Trump while still pulling the lever in private anonymity) also seems very simple. You don't need to go much firther than the internet to see that in an anonymous environment people are far more racist/homophobic/antisemetic/misogynistic/ect than in meat space. The lack of ability to hold people in account for their positions really shows you how little progress has been been made in eradicating that kind of thought. The voting booth, where nobody can hold you accountable for who you vote for, seems a logical place to see a similar effect.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

So a Muslim veteran somehow ended up on the no-fly list and is stuck outside the US for the second time. Now he's in a Turkish jail until he can get past the no-fly list with the embassy's help. Naturally, Fox News picked up some unsourced garbage from an Islamophobic website about how he's actually an ISIS member arrested in Turkey. This spread across the news media and even to the local news of the city where he lives in Oklahoma. I hate this loving country so much.

If Obama gets his way this brave serviceman will be denied gun ownership too.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A large number, I don't know how many but a lot! :rant:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I say that game took them, maybe, 2 hours to code. Maybe. Probably less.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Martin al-Malley is picking up al-mentum.

[edited for thumb tags]

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Because they aren't Christians they are non-religious Paulists. To them religion is not something that inspires you to help your fellow man or lead a more fulfilled life, it's something that provides divine cover for your pre-existing prejudices. Worshiping in a congregation is not a gathering of spiritual people coming together to become something larger than their individual selves, it's a social club where membership confers "goodness" or "righteousness". Just like their Saint they get so bogged down in the weeds of whether or not women can teach, how much is ok to drink, is it ok to have "x" kind of sex, that they never actually bother to look at the words of their Messiah.

Well said. These are people who see a church and religious association as a means of networking to gain clients and influence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah because they are old. How many 18 to 24 year olds actually have a phone line? I personally haven't had a home phone in 15 years. I'm pretty sure it's the same for a lot of people.

Like seriously:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/08/two-of-every-five-u-s-households-have-only-wireless-phones/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

You know why the donor class can't rein in the yahoos?

Because the donors are yahoos too

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why won't Obummer let us exploit our employees even more :cry:

So basically: we want to treat them like employees but that's too expensive and 20th century for the INTERNET AGE of contractors.

I agree. Take all the benefits and support packages that employees have over contractors, make it a federalized welfare state, company gets what it wants, we get what we want, win-win

American Nazi Party distances itself from Trump, calls his plans unrealistic

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Martin al-Malley is picking up al-mentum.

[edited for thumb tags]

truly, the lf-est candidate

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

You know why the donor class can't rein in the yahoos?

because they're too busy trying to figure out how to avoid $10B in taxes they owe?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Oh MOM

If Bernie Sanders weren't such baller leftist angry grandpa I'd probably like you

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

radical meme posted:

Well said. These are people who see a church and religious association as a means of networking to gain clients and influence.

In a realistic sense, isn't that the only point of a church or any religious organization anyway? I mean the religious organization not the religion itself, since they are obviously two different things. We talk about communities like Mormons or the (actual) Amish being "close knit" but really what that means is that they have a good internal network to support each other based on their religion. That's the whole point of joining a religious organization in the first place-- they have as much monopoly on religious practice as Weight Watchers has on dieting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

He wants people to snitch on their neighbors given the slightest provocation and if someone is falsely prosecuted he wants them to be grateful. :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

denied gun ownership

I see nothing wrong here :twisted:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Except for helping oppress all those black people as the Baltimore Chief of Police and Mayor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

rkajdi posted:

In a realistic sense, isn't that the only point of a church or any religious organization anyway? I mean the religious organization not the religion itself, since they are obviously two different things. We talk about communities like Mormons or the (actual) Amish being "close knit" but really what that means is that they have a good internal network to support each other based on their religion. That's the whole point of joining a religious organization in the first place-- they have as much monopoly on religious practice as Weight Watchers has on dieting.
The entire purpose of the formation of the Jewish religion and the writing of the Torah was to make societal rules so people wouldn't act like literal animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

The entire purpose of the formation of the Jewish religion and the writing of the Torah was to make societal rules so people wouldn't act like literal animals
Wait sorry it's because a real guy who actually existed led his people out of Egypt and literally came down from a mountain carrying a tablet graven with holy rules

• Locked thread