Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
I really don't understand why people here are salivating over no one winning the nomination on the first ballot, I mean what could

The Wilderness posted:

Some even began to devise the crude outline of a strategy to jump-start a “draft Mitt” movement from the floor, which would involve flipping the delegates in Mormon-heavy states like Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho.

...Romney loyalists say all bets will be off if the first ballot vote at next year’s convention fails to produce a nominee, arguing their candidate’s sense of duty will ultimately win out.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-secret-plan-to-nominate-mitt-romney-from-the-convention#.aoRZYvpr5v

:gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

rkajdi posted:

In a realistic sense, isn't that the only point of a church or any religious organization anyway? I mean the religious organization not the religion itself, since they are obviously two different things. We talk about communities like Mormons or the (actual) Amish being "close knit" but really what that means is that they have a good internal network to support each other based on their religion. That's the whole point of joining a religious organization in the first place-- they have as much monopoly on religious practice as Weight Watchers has on dieting.

Yes, but Christianity was specifically not supposed to be that way. In the gospels Jesus goes out of his way to piss off the Jewish religious establishment and say that organized religion isn't the way to salvation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

I really don't understand why people here are salivating over no one winning the nomination on the first ballot, I mean what could

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-secret-plan-to-nominate-mitt-romney-from-the-convention#.aoRZYvpr5v

Is America ready for this level of spectacle?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mulva posted:

Yes, but Christianity was specifically not supposed to be that way. In the gospels Jesus goes out of his way to piss off the Jewish religious establishment and say that organized religion isn't the way to salvation.

Uh, 3/4ths of the new testament is Paul telling us how to setup the Church.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yes Paul, not Jesus. That's was my point.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Eschers Basement posted:

Romney as the GOP candidate + Trump on a third party ticket would be incredible to behold.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TheDisreputableDog posted:

If Obama gets his way this brave serviceman will be denied gun ownership too.

Good since veterans are more at risk for suicide than the general population. Or do you only support the troops when it comes to ending their life?

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 11, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also on how Paul is so great and Paul should be the leader, totally what Jesus wants guys, for real. - Paul

and this,

Mulva posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The New Testament: The earliest recorded example of self-insert fan-fiction?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mulva posted:

The religion can have any practice it wants, but relgious organizations are all going to be structured as large extended social clubs because that's all they've ever been anywhere. Why is seperating the religion from the organzation so hard for some people to do? Regardless of whatever truth a religion does or doesn't have, the organization is always built by people, and if you look at it dispassionately, fulfills the same role as every other similar organization. Nobody complains that people join the Lions Club, Boy Scouts, or whatever for networking, so why should we complain when they do it with a religious organization?

I get that it doesn't live up to the ideals of the faith, but that ony puts it in the same category as every other religious group ever, so why single them out for it?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eschers Basement posted:

Honestly, Romney would be a pretty decent option for the GOP at this point. He has the advantage of not being tainted by the insanity of the current GOP primary.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mulva posted:

Yeah, a counter-rev scumbag got ahold of a cult and turned it back into another bog standard, top down oppression system. Why is this surprising since it happens so often with every kind of movement? Want to change it? Stop following Great Men.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eschers Basement posted:

why the gently caress would they pick romney and not rubio?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Eschers Basement posted:

I literally said this yesterday and everyone started making GBS threads on me for trolling.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Romney finished within spitting distance of an incumbent Obama.

I think you can give him a few extra points against ultra-managed robo Hill.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Ah yes, noted two-time loser Mitt Romney is surely the one who would eek out a victory against HRC. :rolleyes:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I literally said this yesterday and everyone started making GBS threads on me for trolling.
They weren't making GBS threads on you about Mitt Romney being called on as a reconciliation candidate, they were making GBS threads on you because you were framing him as someone who could still win if Trump ran third party

The they included me in this case

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

wow, you can be funny

JT Jag posted:

45% Hillary, 27% Trump, 15% Mitt

Those are the only 2 responses to your "Mitt" post, the trolling was you going on about Hillary's indictment.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

332 to 206 EV, and 51% to 47% (:lol:) PV isn't "spitting distance". especially when that 4% difference was 5m votes.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

332 to 206 EV, and 51% to 47% (:lol:) PV isn't "spitting distance". especially when that 4% difference was 5m votes.

He still believes in the unskewed polls.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

If you define "Spitting distance" as anything better than a Reagan-Mondale or Nixon-McGovern level electoral blowout then yes, :mitt: did come awfully close.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If you define "Spitting distance" as anything better than a Reagan-Mondale or Nixon-McGovern level electoral blowout then yes, :mitt: did come awfully close.

the GOP could nominate a bag of cement and get 180 EVs, a blowout like that just isn't possible in 2016's electoral environment

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sorry if I missed it but I don't think anyone posted about Carson threatening to exit the GOP if they ratfuck Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

no we laughed at it because you said you think mitt could beat hillary. we said you were trolling for other reasons.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fix posted:

Sorry if I missed it but I don't think anyone posted about Carson threatening to exit the GOP if they ratfuck Trump.
That just sounds like more incentive for the GOP Establishment if they wanna clear out the crazies, to me

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

The entire purpose of the formation of the Jewish religion and the writing of the Torah was to make societal rules so people wouldn't act like literal animals

not just torah

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

That just sounds like more incentive for the GOP Establishment if they wanna clear out the crazies, to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owq_aBJ9G6Q

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

rkajdi posted:

The religion can have any practice it wants, but relgious organizations are all going to be structured as large extended social clubs because that's all they've ever been anywhere. Why is seperating the religion from the organzation so hard for some people to do? Regardless of whatever truth a religion does or doesn't have, the organization is always built by people, and if you look at it dispassionately, fulfills the same role as every other similar organization. Nobody complains that people join the Lions Club, Boy Scouts, or whatever for networking, so why should we complain when they do it with a religious organization?

I get that it doesn't live up to the ideals of the faith, but that ony puts it in the same category as every other religious group ever, so why single them out for it?

No one complains about the networking at the Lions Club or Boy Scouts because because

A.) Those groups don't claim a moral/divine highground to justify their actions and
B.) the Lions Club property isn't tax exempt and no one ever shot up a building for a Boy Scouts merit badge.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

No one complains about the networking at the Lions Club or Boy Scouts because because

A.) Those groups don't claim a moral/divine highground to justify their actions and
I mean, in the case of the Boy Scouts, (tilts hand back and forth uncertainly) eeeeeh...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The forums can't withstand unskewing of this magnitude!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Romney lost in an electoral landslide with all kinds of tailwinds at his back. Nope

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At first I was skeptical of President Romney but he really has done a great job. Romneycare is a excellent program and the elimination of Minimum wage did in fact cause wages to rise.

Him not attending the Paris conference and instead advocating opening up 200 additional coal plants caused me to be upset ,but really with unemployment in the negative percentage at this point it's obvious this country needed to elect a strong business man.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 11, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Yeah, I've always viewed Paul as the original televangelist.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

rkajdi posted:

Except for helping oppress all those black people as the Baltimore Chief of Police and Mayor.

no, that just makes him more like LF posters

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

I hear this all the time from my super-religious family on Facebook. Their argument is that Jesus was perfect and we aren't so we don't have to forgive others, God will do that. :downs:

So BioShock Infinite?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I overall have been pretty satisfied with President Romney , don't know about you people.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

Oh MOM

If Bernie Sanders weren't such baller leftist angry grandpa I'd probably like you

Just watch The Wire again to disabuse yourself of such notions.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fix posted:

It's amazing to me how Carson flamed out so quickly after just a minimum amount of scrutiny. Absolutely nobody gives a poo poo what Carson says at this point. It's just a question of who will benefit most from his ultimate complete collapse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Radbot posted:

Doesn't it seem ludicrous that Microsoft was nearly split up over something that wouldn't even make the DOJ bat an eye today?

Microsoft was never at serious risk of being split up, and never got more than a slap on the wrist, nor would it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mulva posted:

Because they aren't Christians they are non-religious Paulists. To them religion is not something that inspires you to help your fellow man or lead a more fulfilled life, it's something that provides divine cover for your pre-existing prejudices. Worshiping in a congregation is not a gathering of spiritual people coming together to become something larger than their individual selves, it's a social club where membership confers "goodness" or "righteousness". Just like their Saint they get so bogged down in the weeds of whether or not women can teach, how much is ok to drink, is it ok to have "x" kind of sex, that they never actually bother to look at the words of their Messiah.

I mentioned this in the Islamophobia thread, but it's interesting how conservative Christians get branded as "not really religious!" but conservative Muslims get branded as "the totally true representation of Islam, or at least a perfectly valid form of it".

• Locked thread