Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I just want to switch between 1 and 2 continuously. I have mouse 2 bound to weapon switch and the 4 weapons for heavy is screwing me up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
drat, this really was out of nowhere. I heard nothing at all about this. I was in the old LLJK clan, if that still exists, and will be playing (badly) this weekend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nondescript Van posted:

So I'll be playing this all weekend now. I just need one goddamn thing: give me a key information that goes to the weapon I was just using! There does need to be 4 binds that just cycle through all weapons.

Press Q :ssh:.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nondescript Van posted:

I just want to switch between 1 and 2 continuously. I have mouse 2 bound to weapon switch and the 4 weapons for heavy is screwing me up as well.
  • in Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame\Config\ open up TribesInput.ini with notepad
  • Find the line that starts Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton" and replace it with:
code:
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle1",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind RightMouseButton WeaponToggle2")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle2",Command="EquipWeapon 1 | SetBind RightMouseButton WeaponToggle1")
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="WeaponToggle1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
  • Save it. Now you have to set TribesInput.ini to read only, otherwise the game overwrites it with settings from the cloud
  • If you ever want to change things in input.ini again (for example other keys or mouse sensitivity) you will need to unset read-only and either edit it manually, go through this whole deal again. Tribes won't save custom binds.

edit:

Edit 2: No that doesn't work at all for me. I just reset and got Q on swap weapon, and it's just cycling through all the weapons as normal.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 11, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I am so bad at this game now and everyone else is so good. :negative:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Saw in CSGO thread this game is good and support has been maintained. Is this true?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

• in Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame\Config\ open up TribesInput.ini with notepad
  • Find the line that starts Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton" and replace it with:
code:
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle1",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind RightMouseButton WeaponToggle2")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle2",Command="EquipWeapon 1 | SetBind RightMouseButton WeaponToggle1")
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="WeaponToggle1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
  • Save it. Now you have to set TribesInput.ini to read only, otherwise the game overwrites it with settings from the cloud
  • If you ever want to change things in input.ini again (for example other keys or mouse sensitivity) you will need to unset read-only and either edit it manually, go through this whole deal again. Tribes won't save custom binds.

edit:

Edit 2: No that doesn't work at all for me. I just reset and got Q on swap weapon, and it's just cycling through all the weapons as normal.

Thanks. Gonna try this out when i get home.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

Saw in CSGO thread this game is good and support has been maintained. Is this true?
Well, it's more that there has been a CPR performed on it, and now everyone is figuring for themselves if it's good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Safety Scissors posted:

Game is good. It's very different from CSGO, but if you like the idea of going fast you might enjoy it. It rewards skill.

Support hasn't been maintained, it was 2 years since Hirez last cared about the game or did anything with it other than keep the servers running. It's unlikely that Hirez will put any real money or long-term backing into it -- the cynics have said we're being thrown a bone so that fans of the more popular Smite don't get worried by the company shifting to their new "Paladins" game. Hirez has this pattern you see. We even bought a smilie about it: :hirez:

But they're back now, and there are enough people who loved this game that we've come crawling back. It's just that good. So if you want to pick up a new game for a while and have fun, come join us! If you're looking for something long term, be warned that everyone in the thread is expecting this to be a brief revival.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, yeah, I'm sold and am definitely coming back. Looking forward to playing with everyone!

Unfortunately I left my computer on top of my car and it ended up smashed up in the middle of the road, so... it's gonna be a month.

Goddamn it I finally have a game I really want to play again and I'm forced to wait!

Please let this still be going strong when that happens...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

GlyphGryph posted:

Unfortunately I left my computer on top of my car and it ended up smashed up in the middle of the road, so... it's gonna be a month.
lmao

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Klyith posted:

The LAZER PAINTER doesn't really do anything other than be a laser beam and show you a mostly range number. It doesn't put aiming targets on teammates huds like in Tribes 2. But since call-in inventory drops and orbital strikes were removed, they needed to have a laser thing. People used laser flashes to signal to each other for ESPORKS flag passes and such.

That's only a little disappointing. One of my fondest memories in Tribes 1 was painting an APC loaded with heavies and my teammate perfectly lobbed a mortar right into it. Maybe he didn't need the painter, maybe he was that good, but that moment was pretty awesome and I like to think it helped.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
I am literally shaking right now.

*mashes install button*

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I get more frames with this than with MWO and since this isnt pay2win anymore, I suppose I'll do this over the weekend with you guys.

Reminder - lets see if people want to congregate on CTS Mumble this evening/night. Maybe it goes somewhere, maybe not.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Klyith posted:

code:

edit:

How would you modify this to work with Q?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The only thing keeping this update from being perfect is if they completely removed the automatics, shotguns, and sidearms. Basically Tribes 2 verbatim but with better graphics.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Except that would still not be T2 because lol UE3 physics.
1v1 me with Falcons on the Drydock cliff bro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Artificer posted:

How would you modify this to work with Q?

Replace all three instances of RightMouseButton with Q

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
In case anyone is interested in playing together, I made a channel on CTS near the bottom. I'm having a good time on US West servers so if you want someone to play with, I'll be around for the next few hours blue plating kids.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Klyith posted:

Replace all three instances of RightMouseButton with Q

You're a god.

This doesn't quite help a class with a secondary weapon like the Repair Tool though. Would it be possible to make it so E toggles between weapon 1 and 3, even if you're currently on 2?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Artificer posted:

You're a god.

This doesn't quite help a class with a secondary weapon like the Repair Tool though. Would it be possible to make it so E toggles between weapon 1 and 3, even if you're currently on 2?

I imagine you could just put 3 and 4 in place of 1 and 2 in the WeaponToggle string.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nondescript Van posted:

I imagine you could just put 3 and 4 in place of 1 and 2 in the WeaponToggle string.

Wouldn't that switch between weapons 3 and 4? The medium armor class for instance doesn't have a 4th weapon.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Except that would still not be T2 because lol UE3 physics.
1v1 me with Falcons on the Drydock cliff bro

Shocklances only yo.

Edit: it just dawned on me that since all of us have had our GP refunded we could host a goons-only server if we wanted our own dumb clubhouse.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So the bind system doesn't have many options for context -- there's no easy way to track which weapon is active at one moment. You can get into really complicated stuff where keys are reassigning each other, but death & class switching doesn't reset anything. So for example any bind involving weapon 4 breaks down when you respawn as not-heavy.

So you can easily have 'E' do the same switch toggle between weapon 1 & 3 by something like this:
code:
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle1",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind Q WeaponToggle2")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle2",Command="EquipWeapon 1 | SetBind Q WeaponToggle1")
Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="WeaponToggle1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggleA",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind E WeaponToggleB")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggleB",Command="EquipWeapon 3 | SetBind E WeaponToggleA")
Bindings=(Name="E",Command="WeaponToggleA",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
note that each weapontoggle is also named uniquely (1,2,A,B) because otherwise they overwrite each other

However the practical downside is that you can easily lose mental context between the two keys. If you use Q a bunch of times and then use E twice, what is the state of Q when you hit it again? It becomes extremely unsatisfying because in effect you get a 50/50 shot on the weapon you wanted. There are ways to mitigate that by having the keys interact with each other (ex E rebinds Q to weapon 2 since that's not 1 or 3), but it's kinda unique to the person.

Feel free to PM me.

edit: remember friends, if the lads don't find you MLG ESPORTS, they should at least find you handy with the keybinds and crosshair overlays

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 11, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Klyith posted:

So the bind system doesn't have many options for context -- there's no easy way to track which weapon is active at one moment. You can get into really complicated stuff where keys are reassigning each other, but death & class switching doesn't reset anything. So for example any bind involving weapon 4 breaks down when you respawn as not-heavy.

So you can easily have 'E' do the same switch toggle between weapon 1 & 3 by something like this:
code:
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle1",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind Q WeaponToggle2")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggle2",Command="EquipWeapon 1 | SetBind Q WeaponToggle1")
Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="WeaponToggle1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggleA",Command="EquipWeapon 0 | SetBind E WeaponToggleB")
Bindings=(Name="WeaponToggleB",Command="EquipWeapon 3 | SetBind E WeaponToggleA")
Bindings=(Name="E",Command="WeaponToggleA",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
note that each weapontoggle is also named uniquely (1,2,A,B) because otherwise they overwrite each other

However the practical downside is that you can easily lose mental context between the two keys. If you use Q a bunch of times and then use E twice, what is the state of Q when you hit it again? It becomes extremely unsatisfying because in effect you get a 50/50 shot on the weapon you wanted. There are ways to mitigate that by having the keys interact with each other (ex E rebinds Q to weapon 2 since that's not 1 or 3), but it's kinda unique to the person.

Feel free to PM me.

edit: remember friends, if the lads don't find you MLG ESPORTS, they should at least find you handy with the keybinds and crosshair overlays

No, that should be good enough. I'll basically only be using E on a few select classes anyways. Thanks!

Edit: Remind me how to do overlays for reticles again? It'll be useful for Planetside 2 too.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 12, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I forget what was the major complaint before and has it been fixed now?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Reminder - lets see if people want to congregate on CTS Mumble this evening/night. Maybe it goes somewhere, maybe not.

Sure, I'm down. I expect other old tribe buddies to turn up.

Rynex fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 12, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SaltLick posted:

I forget what was the major complaint before and has it been fixed now?

That the game sucks and no it hasn't.

EDIT: Well now a trusted source is telling me its confirmed for good. I don't know what to think.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 12, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Klyith posted:

So the bind system doesn't have many options for context -- there's no easy way to track which weapon is active at one moment. You can get into really complicated stuff where keys are reassigning each other, but death & class switching doesn't reset anything.

TF2 has the same issue, and it's not too much of a hassle to set up your regular "switch to this weapon" binds to track what weapon you currently have out. Having your state get reset when you spawn is a bit obnoxious, but all that means is that you need to hit 1 just after spawning to sync it back up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eSporks posted:

EDIT: Well now a trusted source is telling me its confirmed for good. I don't know what to think.
You mean developmental greenlight or that the game is good again?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I'm having fun. That's all that matters.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RIP Titan Launcher, you were too good for this world. The Sabre Launcher is still a dumb turd and a godawful nuisance.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I can't believe I'm reinstalling Tribes: Ascend, but here we are.

Klyith posted:

I have a second account that had only ever put in free gold / promotional codes, no money. That one had one or two weapons in each category unlocked, a couple of packs for each class, and a pile of XP. And no gold or skins or anything else, so I guess the wipe took away all the promo code gold.

It looks like I've got everything unlocked but the cosmetics, and I've had a bazillion XP and 750 GP refunded. I never spent money on the game and only ever got GP from promo codes, so I wonder how they're determining which accounts get what.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

I can't believe I'm reinstalling Tribes: Ascend, but here we are.

It looks like I've got everything unlocked but the cosmetics, and I've had a bazillion XP and 750 GP refunded. I never spent money on the game and only ever got GP from promo codes, so I wonder how they're determining which accounts get what.

You get the Ultimate Weapon Pack if you have spent any money on the game at all. I'm guessing promo codes count too! The Ultimate Weapon Pack is about $10 on steam apparently. There's a lot of confusion about this, so I may just go ask HiRezSean about it directly.

Oh, and...

I had 12000GP waiting for me. I don't think I remember spending that much on the game, but yeah, I guess I did. poo poo. Also 7.8 mil exp, which means I will never have to spend money on the game again :D

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh, short PSA on best voice pack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYMXudza5w

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
We're still in the CTS Mumble near the bottom of the channel list playing, in case anyone else wants to partake.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

code:

edit:

Just tried this and it does not work. It just cycles through like normal.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Artificer posted:

No, that should be good enough. I'll basically only be using E on a few select classes anyways. Thanks!

Edit: Remind me how to do overlays for reticles again? It'll be useful for Planetside 2 too.

You shouldn't even need to use overlays for custom reticles now (in T:A at least)

Patch Notes posted:

• Reticles may now be replaced by PNG files stored locally on your hard drive and configured through the ini files. Follow this tutorial for installing custom reticles.
Here's the relevant link again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OrJLH1fInJ1gMDLQe3qHUO0zBmmqiQ8bo1I3fQk4PWY/pub

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Holy hell just when I was thinking it might be time for a Tribes thread I stumble on to this beauty! Super pumped about seeing the community alive and active for the first time in years. So far I've bound my old loadouts to 1 and 3 and substitute 2 and 4 with the scroll wheel, aside from the occasional finger slip its worked out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Having a really good night of shazbotting and the servers go down :(

• Locked thread