Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Trump did run 3rd party what are the odds we'd get a 3 way debate similar to what happened in the 90s with Perot. What a poo poo show those were. I'm sure Hillary would want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Greatbacon posted:

No one complains about the networking at the Lions Club or Boy Scouts because because

A.) Those groups don't claim a moral/divine highground to justify their actions and
B.) the Lions Club property isn't tax exempt and no one ever shot up a building for a Boy Scouts merit badge.

A.) Sure they do. All those social clubs are regressive good old boys clubs. And boy scouts are moral high ground as gently caress.
B.) They are tax exempt under a slightly different section of the tax code.

My point isn't that it's wrong, it's that the cancer is way deeper than this no true scotsmen garbage that gets wheeled out.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

computer parts posted:

I mentioned this in the Islamophobia thread, but it's interesting how conservative Christians get branded as "not really religious!" but conservative Muslims get branded as "the totally true representation of Islam, or at least a perfectly valid form of it".

Well, some fat, bearded twat did recently declare himself Pope of all Muslims. And Salafists/Wahhabists would disagree with you that thier strict, hyper-conservative interperatation is incorrect. Part of that problem includes Saudi Arabia being ruled as a theocracy, giving further legitimization to the sort of radicalism they actively and violently push across the region (with U.S. complicity, even if we wish it would go away, but you know, oil).

If tomorrow Westboro's Fred Phelps decided to declare himself the Anti-Pope, and had a few thousand really violent and insane followers brutally enforcing his will across a swathe of the mid-west, while Canada paid him and other violent Christian nutjobs across the nation to wage war on America and try to oust Obama to create "Jesusland", after China just finished installing a dictator that everyone hates while Obama brutally murders his people; *deep breath* it might then be a valid comparison for Indonesian Muslims to worry about Christian terrorists spreading across the globe to terrorize innocent people and consider them a representation of the possible Christian Immigrants who really just want to live on their far less insane shores.

None of that makes Islamophobia OK however, and we need to find a solution that doesn't involve false equivalancy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Well, some fat, bearded twat did recently declare himself Pope of all Muslims. And Salafists/Wahhabists would disagree with you that thier strict, hyper-conservative interperatation is incorrect. Part of that problem includes Saudi Arabia being ruled as a theocracy, giving further legitimization to the sort of radicalism they actively and violently push across the region (with U.S. complicity, even if we wish it would go away, but you know, oil).

If tomorrow Westboro's Fred Phelps decided to declare himself the Anti-Pope, and had a few thousand really violent and insane followers brutally enforcing his will across a swathe of the mid-west, while Canada paid him and other violent Christian nutjobs across the nation to wage war on America and try to oust Obama to create "Jesusland", after China just finished installing a dictator that everyone hates while Obama brutally murders his people; *deep breath* it might then be a valid comparison for Indonesian Muslims to worry about Christian terrorists spreading across the globe to terrorize innocent people and consider them a representation of the possible Christian Immigrants who really just want to live on their far less insane shores.

None of that makes Islamophobia OK however, and we need to find a solution that doesn't involve false equivalancy.

I didn't say anything about false equivalency. What I said was that we are much more forgiving of Christianity than Islam, to the point that a bunch of supposed atheists are willing to call their enemies "not real Christians" despite said enemies explicitly identifying as Christians (and not doing this with Muslims).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Clinton ally David Brock (who is on the board of her SuperPAC Priorities USA) is preparing for a Ted Cruz nomination, and thinks him, not Rubio or Trump, will get the nomination.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-david-brock-attack-ted-cruz-216694

quote:

....“He’s where the Id of the conservative base is, I believe strongly. He’s got a lot of money, he’s a big super PAC, he’s also got low dollar donors. He’s playing a very long game organizationally on the ground,” Brock said. “He’s going to win Iowa, I believe, maybe not New Hampshire, but then South Carolina,” Brock said, adding that the party rules that allow for winner-take-all primaries come March will ensure a Cruz victory.

Brock said he doesn't dismiss what he characterized as an outside chance that Donald Trump wins his party’s nomination -- “You never discount a demagogue” -- but said he is not prepared to pour resources into planning for the rise of Sen. Marco Rubio.

“I just don’t see it,” he said of the young Florida Senator. “He has some critical weaknesses, his absenteeism, weird listlessness on the campaign trail, all the mess with his personal finances -- there’s a lot. He hasn’t been vetted.”

“I think Cruz will end up as the nominee," Brock added, "and I think Trump will support him and have a big platform. We’ll be hearing from him at the convention and on the campaign trail.”...

Personally I still think it's Rubio, though I've become less confident recently

edit: looks like James Carville and maybe even Bill are also thinking Cruz

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-trump-rubio-cruz-216516#ixzz3u3KpJVNr

quote:

...Longtime Clinton ally James Carville — who remains a close confidant of Bill Clinton’s — said he’s actually put his money where his mouth is, placing a bet on Cruz on the website PredictIt.com.

“I’ve been on Cruz since Day One,” said Carville, who said the Texas senator first came on his radar after his wife, Republican strategist Mary Matalin, hosted a fundraiser for Cruz about a year ago at their home. “I saw the people that were there, people I’d never seen before ... I was fascinated. I saw that these were not typical political people. He’s smart, he has a message and he’s positioned himself just right in this race.” That means putting up a strong showing in the Iowa caucuses, and then cleaning up after the New Hampshire primary, when the race heads down South.

Bill Clinton, sources said, also views Cruz as a top candidate with talent, gumption and plenty of money in the bank — $26 million as of Oct. 15 — and in private conversations has outlined how Cruz could win a primary, but not a general election....

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 11, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

theblackw0lf posted:

Clinton ally David Brock (who is on the board of her SuperPAC Priorities USA) is preparing for a Ted Cruz nomination, and thinks him, not Rubio or Trump, will get the nomination.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-david-brock-attack-ted-cruz-216694

Personally I still think it's Rubio, though I've become less confident recently

edit: looks like James Carville and maybe even Bill are also thinking Cruz

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-trump-rubio-cruz-216516#ixzz3u3KpJVNr

Wait. Carville is married to Mary Matalin? :tizzy:

The gently caress...?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Hollismason posted:

If Trump did run 3rd party what are the odds we'd get a 3 way debate similar to what happened in the 90s with Perot. What a poo poo show those were. I'm sure Hillary would want it.

It'll be interesting. Even if Trump's support dropped, his money and stature would allow him to demand a spot, or threaten to buy programming time counter to it. That would be just like Perot with his infomercial shows. Though, with broadcast TV falling in importance, that likely wouldn't draw as much, and since most of the broadcast channels are affiliates of a 24-hour channel, they may not sell. (I'm assuming that the 24-hour channels just completely tune him out.)

I don't know media has changed a lot. He could just stream something on the Internet for cheap and get coverage too.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fire reported at California mosque, witnesses say it was caused by "Molotov cocktail"

:sigh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

In Texas a constable called on people to arm themselves against Muslim refugees in a shelter. This country is slipping back...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CommieGIR posted:

In Texas a constable called on people to arm themselves against Muslim refugees in a shelter. This country is slipping back...

We never went forward :ssh:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
We went a few namometers forward, and a few planck lengths back.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

AlternateNu posted:

The gently caress...?

You're kidding, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Molotov on Hanukkah? Has anyone seen Scott Walker today?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SavageBastard posted:

You're kidding, right?

No.

They have very, very angry sex.

And now everyone that reads this will think about James Carville naked.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

The gently caress...?

This was much more common when polarization was much less. Same way that Schwarzenegger married Maria Shriver, nephew of the Kennedys.

Basically, in the 90s, you really could say "ho hum, the two parties are just the same" and only be a minor idiot, not a major idiot. (Before you complain, I was such an idiot, rocking out to Rage Against the Machine as I pushed the metaphorical lever for Nader.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Because the Tortilla Coast crew is withholding votes on the omnibus, Pelosi might get a lift of the gun research ban in the final deal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My understanding is that Carville and Matalin, despite being tastemakers in their respective parties for decades, both genially treat their ideology as if they were fans of rival in-state college football teams.

They're both absolutely ghoulish people, but it's almost admirable.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
after reading that stuff on tomato farm slavery, it's deeply despairing that people are being driven by their leaders to firebomb refugees, instead of firebombing literal slave owners.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Being a resident of New Orleans I can assure that James Carville is a weird weird weird man. Also, I yelled Skeletor at him one time and he got really upset.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

A Winner is Jew posted:

No.

They have very, very angry sex.

And now everyone that reads this will think about James Carville naked.

I meant was he kidding about not knowing. And Carville has openly discussed his mastarbation on national television so you're way too late.

JT Jag posted:

My understanding is that Carville and Matalin, despite being tastemakers in their respective parties for decades, both genially treat their ideology as if they were fans of rival in-state college football teams.

They're both from an era where this was the more typical way to treat politics.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

after reading that stuff on tomato farm slavery, it's deeply despairing that people are being driven by their leaders to firebomb refugees, instead of firebombing literal slave owners.
But, but... they might be those slave owners some day. Any time now, actually!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i have slave holders in my ancestors, are you saying that's a bad thing???? :heritage:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
So, if you have a lawmaker on retainer, does that count as quid pro quo corruption or do they need to bill for services?

quote:

Rep. Steve Brunk has been hired as executive director of the Kansas Family Policy Council, an advocacy group that strongly opposes abortion and same-sex marriage, according to a letter from the council.

“One of the things that they want to do is impact legislation and so how better to do that than to have the person who handles all of that legislation actually be in the Legislature and actually be chairman of the committee?"

“In time if I continue to do this I might hire a lobbyist. I might hire someone to be a policy director, but I’m not helping them in that capacity."

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article49234310.html

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

JT Jag posted:

The New Testament: The earliest recorded example of self-insert fan-fiction?

I still say Socrates, he was just too perfect. :colbert:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

JT Jag posted:

On the other hand, the constant sports-team analogy helped support a host of terrible issues that the mostly leaders of the two parties agreed on like welfare reform, law and order polices, financial deregulation, aggressive foreign policy, and the war on drugs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Istvun posted:

So, if you have a lawmaker on retainer, does that count as quid pro quo corruption or do they need to bill for services?

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article49234310.html
There's no law against politicians involving themselves in nonprofit organizations, even if they are activist in nature. Perhaps unfortunately.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

foobardog posted:

On the other hand, the constant sports-team analogy helped support a host of terrible issues that the mostly leaders of the two parties agreed on like welfare reform, law and order polices, financial deregulation, aggressive foreign policy, and the war on drugs.

So is the ability for both to speak English, if you think about it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

This is horrible to watch. How do these sort of people exist in numbers high enough to give them political influence and airtime? I'm from the UK and wouldn't expect to find many people gibbering such angry frothing bile outside of an insane asylum. Make everyone in the population carry guns? Doctor! DOCTOR!!!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SavageBastard posted:

They're both from an era where this was the more typical way to treat politics.

They're both from a snake's bowels.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

So is the ability for both to speak English, if you think about it.

We'd have full communism now if we had just adopted the metric system and Esperanto!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

foobardog posted:

Ah yes, Obama and the Republicans famously agree on how to handle ISIL, and there haven't been any disputes at all.

And Bernie says legalize weed, Fiorina told a lie/bullshit horror story about how marijuana killed her daughter.

quote:

"Like so many high-achieving young women, Lori also struggled with bulimia for years," Fiorina wrote. "Despite her repeated stays in rehab, the combination of bulimia, alcoholism, and drug abuse took its toll. She was divorced and living in New Jersey when she died."

Fiorina never mentions marijuana in her biography, whether in connection with Lori's death or otherwise.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 12, 2015

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

radical meme posted:

It's amazing to me how Carson flamed out so quickly after just a minimum amount of scrutiny. Absolutely nobody gives a poo poo what Carson says at this point. It's just a question of who will benefit most from his ultimate complete collapse.

Compare and contrast with Trump. Then pour yourself another drink.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

fade5 posted:

Ah yes, Obama and the Republicans famously agree on how to handle ISIL, and there haven't been any disputes at all.

And Bernie says legalize weed, Fiorina told a lie/bullshit horror story about how marijuana killed her daughter.

Did you miss the fact that the referenced period of time was the 90s through 2008?

You know, the times when the Democrats were pretty well in support of bombing whatever country in the middle east, were pretty well against marijuana legalization and were pretty well against gay marriage?

EDIT: The self-righteousness of liberals and how correct they and their politicians are on current topics is a pretty recent phenomenon, going hand-in-hand with the widening of the political schism and the hardening of political opinions in this country. On the one hand, your politicians are probably using rhetoric on topics the go in line with how non-moderate you are (and Goons oh so love bashing moderates).

On the other hand, as shown in the responses on this very page to Carville's marriage, we're now to the point where politics is "such serious business" that the lot of you couldn't imagine being with a person with different viewpoints.

You could, I don't know... not talk about politics with them? Maybe spend your time doing other, more immediately important things?

Amergin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

I mentioned this in the Islamophobia thread, but it's interesting how conservative Christians get branded as "not really religious!" but conservative Muslims get branded as "the totally true representation of Islam, or at least a perfectly valid form of it".

Oh absolutely, it's because once you are comfortable and have your needs taken care of you tend to stop needing God in a truly personal way. Look at the Keeper of the Two Holy Places and his family, that's conservative Islam.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

This is horrible to watch. How do these sort of people exist in numbers high enough to give them political influence and airtime? I'm from the UK and wouldn't expect to find many people gibbering such angry frothing bile outside of an insane asylum. Make everyone in the population carry guns? Doctor! DOCTOR!!!

you elected a tory

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

Did you miss the fact that the referenced period of time was the 90s through 2008?

You know, the times when the Democrats were pretty well in support of bombing whatever country in the middle east, were pretty well against marijuana legalization and were pretty well against gay marriage?
My grandfather used to tell me stories of the old days, a time of peace when the President kept the balance between the businessmen, the religious, the wealth redistributors and socially conscious. But all that changed when Obama attacked.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DolphinCop posted:

you elected a tory

A Tory who fucks dead pigs.

Lest we forget, David Cameron hosed a dead pig.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

DolphinCop posted:

you elected a tory

And? Tories are a lot closer to "Democrat" than "Republican". The people in the video are more like less reasonable versions of Nick Griffin.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
loving New Hampshire is gonna keep Carly Fiorina on the main debate stage, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Cabbit posted:

A Tory who fucks dead pigs.

Lest we forget, David Cameron hosed a dead pig.

DCFADP!

• Locked thread