Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Those are some nice reasons but have you seen how pretty that husky is?

Jokes aside, I see your reasons. On the maintenance intervals, that is something that I had not considered. The last thing I want is to be doing stuff like that regularly, especially when I ride 1000+ miles per month. If only there were more bonkers supermotos with sane engine reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

If only there were more bonkers supermotos with sane engine reliability.

It probably can't be done.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Have you thought about a 300 XC?

I love you.

Hamas hate boat - What about a wr250? Whatever you buy, if you're getting used I'd buy it from advrider for someone who actually thought they were going to Magadan and then realized that was a stupid, rear end in a top hat idea for someone with a thriving dental practice. Buying all the accessories is ridiculously expensive so you want to buy from someone who's already taken the MSRP hit. You will almost certainly want new suspension. You should not worry too much about seat height. Everything will be tall and you'll get used to it. It took me maybe two days and now I'm fine with only touching the ball of one foot down at stop lights. Off-road it's not bad unless you are trying to paddle through something.

Here are a couple examples.
WR250 in Arizona for 4K. I like this one a lot. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2008-yamaha-wr250x-r-in-az.1110254/

G650X - this is the bike I have and I love it. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2007-bmw-g650x-challenge-7800-miles-el-paso-tx.1110572/#post-28200766 Worth considering at least as the rotax 650 in it is supposed to be indestructible (same bike as koruthaiolos's, more or less)

Nnnnffff http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2006-ktm-525-exc-portland-or.1109862/

690 for sale in Bellevue for 7k http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2008-ktm-690-enduro.1109828/

How about a ktm 640? folks love those bikes.

builds character fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 12, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whichever motorcycle company VW/Audi is involved with needs to apply VW's single-bank vee scheme to a tightly-packaged VR2 supermoto twin.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Whichever motorcycle company VW/Audi is involved with needs to apply VW's single-bank vee scheme to a tightly-packaged VR2 supermoto twin.

~ducati~

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Isn't Ducati on the chopping block with this huge loan they've just taken? Along with Lamborghini and Bugati

:rip: VW

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

How about a ktm 640? folks love those bikes.

Theres a couple 640s local to me.

this ones fuggo, but its cheap as hell.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/5340570008.html

theres a 640 adventure for trade too....I'm so very tempted to throw the drz at him.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Isn't Ducati on the chopping block with this huge loan they've just taken? Along with Lamborghini and Bugati

:rip: VW

Not really. Ducati, Lamborghini and Bugatti are so niche that if they were to sell them off it would really make no difference. They're more looking at selling off their MAN Trucks'n'poo poo stuff...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Is $4000 a fair price for a 2013 CBR500R that is in mint condition with 12000 miles? Maintenance looks like it was done well, but I haven't seen the bike in person yet.

Edit: I misread, it's 16000 miles and I forgot to add that the bike has ABS.

Good price, especially if you specifically want the ABS. If you don't care you could probably get close but it seems like the non-ABS ones flip quickly as a first bike yet everyone hangs on to the ABS bikes.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

clutchpuck posted:

Seems a real good price so if it's still around after being up a couple days, I'd be concerned there's a reason for it being so low. Or it could be one of those crazy people who think 16,000 miles is EOL for a bike. I'd be wary.

Reading back, it's got 16k mi and if that's the valve interval, anticipate spending dollars at a dealer for that. 16k is a reasonable expectation for chain life too. If it needs new tires, chain, and valve check, you could be looking at like $800ish in expenses.

The ad has been up for about two months. That may make it seem like there's something wrong with the bike at first, but I contacted the seller when the ad had only been up for a few days and he said that he could only meet in the middle of the week due to his work schedule for the next few months. My guess is that his restriction on meeting is the reason why the bike is still up for sale. I don't know that for sure though. At a minimum it looks like the bike is kept in very very good condition.

I'll definitely make the assumption that the chain, tires, and valve check may have to be done in terms of total cost, thanks for the advice. I'm not too familiar with valve clearance and I have a fundamental understanding on how to do basic mechanical maintenance on a car (brakes, oil, spark plugs, etc.), my guess is that valve clearance is something that you have a bike shop do? It's not something that you can easily do at home unless you're a professional mechanic?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
OK I have a helmet, jacket, gloves, and an M endorsement, now I just need the actual motorcycle

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5349037187.html - looks nice, but pricy. KBB says $2500, would $2200 be an insulting lowball?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5292542245.html - not sure if this one is still available, it's been up a month

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5346823790.html - $2800 and needs new tires???

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5337941268.html - bit out of the way

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5352789523.html - $1400 for a Ninja 500, what's the catch aside from the obvious fact it's been laid down?

Anything glaringly obvious I'm missing?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your bike market is kind of broken. I wondered why you were going for upper 2k's ninjas until I saw that pregen ex250 were going for 2700 as well. There are some gems there, though.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/5340544614.html This is a solid ex250 that seems like all the nice work has been done to it recently. Decent price. I like it.

If you have to spend almost 3k, then definitely go for the cbr250r and find one with ABS if you do. Otherwise, snap up an EX250 for 1000-1700 and love life until you figure out what next bike to buy. The CBR250 for 2200 looked good, but I don't know if it has ABS.

EDIT: If this is legit, this is a great price and stuff. Looks repainted, so a lot could be hiding there. The price is too good http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5356327057.html

Coydog fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 12, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Laminator posted:

OK I have a helmet, jacket, gloves, and an M endorsement, now I just need the actual motorcycle

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5349037187.html - looks nice, but pricy. KBB says $2500, would $2200 be an insulting lowball?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5292542245.html - not sure if this one is still available, it's been up a month

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5346823790.html - $2800 and needs new tires???

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5337941268.html - bit out of the way

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5352789523.html - $1400 for a Ninja 500, what's the catch aside from the obvious fact it's been laid down?

Anything glaringly obvious I'm missing?

Stock tyres on the cbr are shithouse anyway, you'll want to switch them for some Pirelli sport demons (cheap as chips, cost me 300 for the pair installed) as soon as you can. Frankly in OZ I'd jump at 2800, I sold my mint one with new tyres and a full exhaust for 3200 and only 10k km. You could probably talk that down a bit because it doesn't have ABS. You'll want new tyres on the cheaper of the two as well.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 12, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

Not really. Ducati, Lamborghini and Bugatti are so niche that if they were to sell them off it would really make no difference. They're more looking at selling off their MAN Trucks'n'poo poo stuff...

The point is though they're ~prestige brands~ that really don't make a huge contribution to the group balance sheet (Bugatti in particular run at a truly spectacular loss, by design), so offloading them for some quick Russian cash to offset on that loan makes a lot of sense.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I'm looking for a midsized adventure bike, something highway capable, dualsport-touring that I can ride a few hours or days out to trails and forest service roads and ORV areas.

Have you thought about a 1290 Super Adventure?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Have you thought about a 1290 Super Duke?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

$2k for the bike, $600 for gear, and a year of insurance for $500. Rode it home and didn't die or crash. (disapproving fiancée included)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gotta clean your gutters bro.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Laminator posted:

$2k for the bike, $600 for gear, and a year of insurance for $500. Rode it home and didn't die or crash. (disapproving fiancée included)

oh hell yeah :rock:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Laminator posted:

Insurance on that is $500 annually? Where do you live and how many people have you vehicularly manslaughtered?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Insurance :can: my wife and I have generous limits on our BMW and Buell for $500/yr. Combined. For both.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can we please stop the string of endless posts, where everyone brags about their low insurance rate? Thanks in advance

The rate is determined by a number of factors, including, but not limited to one's credit score, driving history, location, amount of drivers and vehicles in household, exact vehicles being insured, and the average rainfall of Amazon basin. Some people are paying more/less than others, that's all there is to it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Insurance is the blackest of majykks. I'm certain not even its most successful practitioners truly understand it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrox posted:

Can we please stop the string of endless posts, where everyone brags about their low insurance rate? Thanks in advance

The rate is determined by a number of factors, including, but not limited to one's credit score, driving history, location, amount of drivers and vehicles in household, exact vehicles being insured, and the average rainfall of Amazon basin. Some people are paying more/less than others, that's all there is to it.

I pay about $400 a year for my VFR and it's important that I tell you, specifically, this.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It cost me nearly $600 a year to insure a WR250X in NEW YORK CITY. then it got stolen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm going to anti-brag about Canadian insurance. When I lived in Ontario and had first started riding, insurance on my 40-year-old 350cc standard was $1800 per year. Triple what I paid for the vehicle.

Beat that.

VVVV oh, yeah, this was for liability only. The bike was too old for them to even consider providing coverage for damage, unless I had it appraised as a vintage vehicle in which case I could only ride it 1000km/yr.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 15, 2015

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
For fun I ran a couple quotes through Markel, since they were super cheap for my Sportster.

2006 GSXR1300 - $3300/yr
2007 ZX14 - $2900/yr

If I dropped comprehension & collision they're like "lol ok, give us $300 and you can run off and kill yourself."

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Insurance is the blackest of majykks. I'm certain not even its most successful practitioners truly understand it.

Yeah, I have no clue why my insurance is so high. I have 2 cars (an 09 Subaru Legacy and 09 Civic) on the insurance, bundled with homeowner's and renter's insurance. I had an accident totaling a car about 7 years ago but have never had a ticket or legal issue since, haven't made any claims on my insurance except for hail damage a few years ago... $500 isn't even for comprehensive, only liability, uninsured, and theft protection. I'm in Austin, TX, but insurance was expensive even when I was in OKC.

Sorry to spur up such a touchy subject :ohdear:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Sealed the deal on the 2014 CRF250L, 4200 otd and got them to throw in some Cycra Probend handguards~
Picking it up on the 22nd. A nice Christmas present! :woop:

The gearing is very tall and the engine does not have enough power to max itself out on stock sprockets. At the minimum, the front needs to lose a tooth but I think adding two teeth to the rear as well really made the bike come alive.

Mine is about to be a supermoto though as soon as I get around to buying tires; cbr250 wheels are a direct fit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My sister's 250 is on my dad's policy and I think it's like 32 bucks a year.

Or 6 months, i dunno it's something ridiculous. He's an old fart with a long history of few claims with them.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

The gearing is very tall and the engine does not have enough power to max itself out on stock sprockets. At the minimum, the front needs to lose a tooth but I think adding two teeth to the rear as well really made the bike come alive.

Mine is about to be a supermoto though as soon as I get around to buying tires; cbr250 wheels are a direct fit.

That's really good to know, thanks!!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Checked out a 2012 DR650 today with 15,000km on it. Handled well, the guy seemed to have taken care of it, he's asking for $5,000. (Australian dollars.)

One of my friends thinks that's really cheap and there must be something wrong with it, but they go off the showroom floor brand new for between $8,000 and $9,000. I'm still going to try to bargain him down, but five sounds right to me... right?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sounds fair

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Speaking of DR650's, is $2,200 for a 1998 ready to ride ok?

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
Thoughts on a CB500f for a starter bike?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/mcy/5317128789.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not a terrible choice but you'll forever be ruined by Honda soullessness

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

clutchpuck posted:

Not a terrible choice but you'll forever be ruined by Honda soullessness

Tell me of this soullessness.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When someone says a bike has "soul" or "personality", they mean it breaks down all the time.

A modern Honda will start up and run every time and do nothing in an unexpected or unusual manner.

My vintage Honda has personality, which means today the exhaust crush washers started leaking so I need to replace them.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Sagebrush posted:

When someone says a bike has "soul" or "personality", they mean it breaks down all the time.

A modern Honda will start up and run every time and do nothing in an unexpected or unusual manner.

My vintage Honda has personality, which means today the exhaust crush washers started leaking so I need to replace them.

So very much this

No soul can also be used as not being a stupidly powerful bike that you will never use for than half the horses on the road.

The CB500 is a fantastic all round bike that is still fun to ride and will have more than enough power for anything other than crossing contaminants two up at 100mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's why they're spoken of as having no soul - they're boring. They do everything perfectly, but they're not as fun to ride as other bikes. It's the engine - they're so linear. Riding a modern CBR1000RR vs a ZX10R and the CBRs engine is fantastic, but linear and boring. The ZX10R feels like it's going to rip your arms off, then it has another kick further into the rev range that actually does rip your arms off. It's way more fun. More brutal.