Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I can't speak to farms generally, but my uncle owns a sub-100 acre dairy farm who had his three kids work as unpaid labour. One of them does not have a hand any more. Because it got eaten by the thresher. When he was 12.

My husband's thumb was crushed in a hydrolic press when he was a kid, working on his family's farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!

Hal_2005 posted:

Nope. Kindly check the act dumbass. I had to read it more then twice with legal counsel verifying each statement so dig deeper then a NDP press release which is totally unbiased, amirte?

Did you read the amendment? http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_files/docs/bills/bill/legislature_29/session_1/20150611_am-006-A1.pdf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If my family's garment making business required the labour of my school aged children to be economically viable, and I couldn't afford to ensure they didn't violate any of Alberta's workplace health and safety laws, would I also be exempt?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I can't speak to farms generally, but my uncle owns a sub-100 acre dairy farm who had his three kids work as unpaid labour. One of them does not have a hand any more. Because it got eaten by the thresher. When he was 12.

My legal counsel says this is the price we pay for freedom.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ikantski posted:

So far Trudeau was off by 60% on refugees they'd get in this year, 40% off on revenue from 1% tax hike, the mortgage changes today were a joke, he changed the $10b deficit promise to a goal and bizarrely asked a bunch of civil servants to voluntarily resign so he could appoint his own shills. The guy is good at symbolic gestures and photo ops. There's lots of money to spend now, give him a few years of Buttsing the debt and the austerity will come just like Ontario.

Edit: And he's going to cancel mincome for parents.

I don't see the big deal of extending the deadline for refugees by two months.

edit- I also don't see why farmers should get away with having their kids do dangerous work, all because people love to jack off to how great family farms supposedly are.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/suspension-notices-sent-to-thousands-of-ottawa-students-demanding-proof-of-vaccination

quote:

Suspension notices sent to thousands of Ottawa students demanding proof of vaccination

After months of warning parents to provide proof their children have been vaccinated, Ottawa’s health department has begun issuing school suspensions to children with missing or outdated records.

The 20-day suspensions will begin as early as Tuesday for the first of what could several thousand students unless their parents can show they have had their shots.

An Ottawa Public Health official had initially said notices would not go out before late December. But under a schedule presented to the Board of Health in October, the first 2,000 letters were sent out last week, followed by another 3,000 sent Thursday.

That’s left families scrambling if they want to to keep children in school until the Christmas break starts on Dec. 21.

“I feel like I was kind of blindsided with this suspension,” said Caroline Pomeroy, whose nine-year-old daughter Lila and seven-year-old son Jack are named in the notice Pomeroy received by regular mail from Ottawa Public Health.

Pomeroy said her children have had some vaccinations, but she resisted getting them the combined measles-mumps-rubella shot because of a family history of adverse reactions and other health issues. She was arranging to deliver “statement of conscience” exemption forms to the health department that will allow her children to remain in their classes at Our Lady of Victory Elementary School in west-end Ottawa.

Since the notices went out, the health department has been getting 600 calls a day and has assigned extra staff to direct parents to doctors or take updated vaccination details to enter into a provincial database, said public health spokeswoman Sherry Nigro. The department has also set up “catch-up clinics” in the east and west ends. Call 613-580-6744 for appointments.

“We’re delighted to see that kind of response from parents,” said Nigro, manager of health promotion and disease prevention.

Suspension notices will be sent in stages until March, Nigro said.

As recently as October, the records of 50,000 students in Ottawa remained incomplete, despite an extensive phone and letter campaign that began last summer. Now that suspension notices are going out, officials hope that number will fall dramatically.

School boards are required by provincial law to uphold suspensions until they receive notice from the health department that children have had the required shots. The Ottawa Catholic School Board said it has been working with health authorities since summer to ensure parents know they must submit records.

“Parents will have received multiple notices from Ottawa Public Health, a phone call and email from the Board, and communication directly from the school prior to them receiving a suspension notice,” the board said in a statement. “We have also used the Board’s social media channels to put out information about where and how to update records.”

Suspension notices for students of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board are not expected before early January, a spokeswoman for the public board said.

Nigro said suspended students who show up for class on Tuesday will not be sent home, but the will be barred from returning the following day.

“I’m very sympathetic that this is frustrating for families that have a million things on the go,” said Nigro, who said the staging of letters and potential suspensions was planned to have the least impact on student testing and the school year.

While “vaccination avoiders” have gained increasing attention, Nigro said only about two per cent of the population does not get vaccinated. She said the health department will provide guidance to parents seeking exemptions for medical, religious or philosophical reasons.

Pomeroy, however, said obtaining the exemptions is a complicated process that requires forms to be notarized and delivered to the health department. She’s also frustrated that the department has no record of her children’s vaccinations for tetanus and other diseases, despite her sending in notice.

“I cannot believe how difficult they are making it.”

The large number of outdated records was revealed this year when Ottawa Public Health returned to routine surveillance of students after dropping such monitoring after 2013. Medical officer of health Dr. Isra Levy, however, has insisted that vaccine coverage is high in Ottawa.

This is pretty cool. hal, what's your legal council say about the fairness of this policy?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

C 2 ii applies to wages. Way to fail at reading but excel at google, you wouldn't even cut it as a lobbyist paralegal. Stick to talking about Justin's hair.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but what about 3 ii (F) 屁眼?

T8R
Aug 9, 2005

Hal_2005 posted:

C 2 ii applies to wages. Way to fail at reading but excel at google, you wouldn't even cut it as a lobbyist paralegal. Stick to talking about Justin's hair.

You really should read the amendment.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I legit laughed out loud to Corb Lund's entry, mostly because slot screws are the bane of my existence as a plumber.

But yeah, I found the shitlord. gently caress man, I never thought I'd miss Michael Coren as "Canada's rightwing nutjob" but there you are.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

The protest was over the city's refusal to place an injunction against UberX* to prevent them from operating until the law can changed to allow them to operate legally in this city. Because right now, they're operating illegally, which amazingly, some of the people who've spent time and money to be properly licensed and insured to operate a cab for hire have a problem with.

Regardless of how frothing mad you are about cab service, or how a cab once shot your pa, or whatever, the point of the protest was entirely valid. To get the city to enforce its own laws, because not doing so severely disadvantages the people who are actually following them.

*Note: No one is protesting UberTaxi or UberBlack, as they both operate completely legally here, and have ever since Uber bothered to stop lying about "ride sharing" and got a dispatch license.

Let me stop you right there, by-laws are not laws. The city can pass whatever they want, but enforcing those by-laws will always fall onto by-law enforcement officers who are not police. The chances of proper enforcement in a city like Toronto are slim to none, so they can continue to whine about their city established monopoly being ruined.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

last night I got to sit through a good 15 minutes of listening to upset...voters before a club meeting (yes it was a gun club meeting, but that's beside the point) and it was quite interesting to hear all the vitriol being focused on JT and Notley. Citing how closing our coal fired plants won't do anything when China keeps making 10 worse ones each day. I kind of knew that these people exist, especially since I am about one or two "lieberals" articles away from blocking my brother on Facebook, but it was almost cathartic to listen these guys babble on for 15 minutes about how Alberta is doomed and the rest of Canada will follow shortly.

Incidentally, I did the smart thing and did not engage since I was one NDP supporter versus 10...not NDP supporters (I could not tell you if they were Wild Rose, PC, or maybe just upset people that felt lied to when they voted NDP) and I kinda like trap shooting with these old guys, so I didn't want my relationship tarnished over politics. Also they weren't against bringing Syrians in but they were referencing the same debunked information that we aren't screening these people correctly, and as near as I can tell only one person outed themselves as a bigot since he thought our Minister of National Defence is "the same thing" as a Muslim, despite my friend correcting him that Sikhs are definitely not Muslims.

Well, that was my anecdotal tale of "Alberta politics in the boonies", hope y'all enjoyed it :v:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I seriously doubt Hal has legal counsel.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jm20 posted:

Let me stop you right there, by-laws are not laws. The city can pass whatever they want, but enforcing those by-laws will always fall onto by-law enforcement officers who are not police. The chances of proper enforcement in a city like Toronto are slim to none, so they can continue to whine about their city established monopoly being ruined.

Good point, this semantic quibble totally invalidates the rest of the point regarding the city's unwillingness to file an injunction against Uber for UberX violating it's own by-laws. Woe is me for I am undone.

Oddly, TPS (the police) have/had been ticketing drivers operating for UberX.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 12, 2015

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That entire Hal post was insane, but I just wanted to point out that the average farm size in Alberta is about 1200 acres. I don't think it would be possible to make a living with a <100 acre farm in Alberta. Dairy or weed maybe.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
I would like to say that I have no idea what the "alberta farm bill" entails but I do know that it has pissed off a bunch of farmers and having done work for farmers in the past I can say they are collectively the cruelest, meanest most swindling cunts on the planet and anything that might somehow attempt to force them to live in the modern world and join society as a whole in giving a single sloppy poo poo about their fellow human beings can only be a good thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just spent a week in the midwest working with conservative gun nuts. While their politics are generally terrible, not a single one of these guys had anything nice to say about Trump. The great thing is, they were loving hilarious guys to drink with and I sure as gently caress would buy them all a drink any day. I definitely would not do the same for the liberal progressive shitfuckers that are Vancouverites (or any of you idiots).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

Good point, this semantic quibble totally invalidates the rest of the point regarding the city's unwillingness to file an injunction against Uber for UberX violating it's own by-laws. Woe is me for I am undone.

Laws should be passed provincially with regard to insurance for ridesharing not in cities. Even if they file an injunction they will just continue to operate and pay the fines so not sure why you think an injunction will do anything.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ductonius posted:

I would like to say that I have no idea what the "alberta farm bill" entails but I do know that it has pissed off a bunch of farmers and having done work for farmers in the past I can say they are collectively the cruelest, meanest most swindling cunts on the planet and anything that might somehow attempt to force them to live in the modern world and join society as a whole in giving a single sloppy poo poo about their fellow human beings can only be a good thing.

this is the correct view.

almost all farmers are just nepotist fucks these days, who have way more political influence in the provinces then they should.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cultural Imperial posted:

I just spent a week in the midwest working with conservative gun nuts. While their politics are generally terrible, not a single one of these guys had anything nice to say about Trump. The great thing is, they were loving hilarious guys to drink with and I sure as gently caress would buy them all a drink any day. I definitely would not do the same for the liberal progressive shitfuckers that are Vancouverites (or any of you idiots).

drat man, you are like super negative.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jm20 posted:

Laws should be passed provincially with regard to insurance for ridesharing not in cities. Even if they file an injunction they will just continue to operate and pay the fines so not sure why you think an injunction will do anything.

An injunction would at least be a token measure showing they value their own by-laws, and more importantly would signal that the city has an actual interest in bringing Uber under regulation rather than ignoring the issue altogether. Also, Uber has caved to local pressure in the states, generally around the time the state's Attorney General's office gets involved (see New York).

Beyond that, insurance isn't the only issue with unlicensed ride-hire services. There are safety regulations affecting both drivers and passengers that are simply ignored with UberX. The vehicles aren't accurately metered, and there are no accessibility standards either.

tl;dr: They aren't only violating Toronto by-laws

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 12, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't think you understand how awful vancouverites (and canadians in general) actually are.

For instance, today my partner witnessed a woman pushing a pram across a 4-way intersection where a woman driver kindly stopped (!) so she could cross. Car behind this stopped car leans on the horn. First driver gets out and starts screaming at the driver behind her. Second driver reciprocates. Just vancouverites being vancouverites i guess nbd right

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

OSI bean dip posted:

"As your Attorney, I advise you to be a honking dickhole!"

"Yes sir, Mr. Attorney sir!"

T8R
Aug 9, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

Having legal counsel would definitely have helped him with regards to not being completely wrong about this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hal_2005 posted:

Edit: Jesus you wasted 3 posts on 1 explanation? When did you go off your meds? Farm margins are so well documented as a cash intensive operation I'm not sure how I could even argue against trying to explain farming is not exactly a earnings rich field of work.

Farms work on trade credit. They also work on operating loans financed by their crop insurance premiums and sold forward contracts for harvested production. Layering into this poo poo sandwich, nearly all farmland and machinery is financed by land leases/mortgages. So pray tell, CI (keeper of D&D's domestic debt bubblewatch), how can overleveraged families who monetize all land revenue each year to meet their operating interest payments find fresh cash to set aside for defined benefit accounts remitted to the AB govt ?

So why is the government obligated to give unprofitable, over-leveraged businesses an exemption to otherwise universal health and safety regulations? Why does this only apply to "family farms"? What quantifiable value do these farms produce that offsets the costs of the people killed and maimed by failure to adhere to minimal safety standards?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
they give the tragically hip something to sing about

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

Yep im happy to keep him around as long as the alternative is NPA shitheads. Suburban motorist rage is the sweetest syrup.

COPE was pretty bad too at the end and a lot of them are now in charge of the BCNDP :gonk:

Jesus christ what?:cripes:

I guess I'm joining the BC Liberals then?

COPE were pretty much total nutso cranks last municipal election.

BCNDP need to become a lot more Vision than COPE if they're ever going to win an election...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

OK when I say "a lot" I mean a couple at most. The Liberals are still much worse of course, you have to be a flaming idiot or pure evil not to see that at this point.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 12, 2015

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

:(

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

How on earth does anyone from COPE get any traction at the BC NDP? Their policies were a garbage fire and they got completely and utterly smoked in the municipal election. They are huge, unredeemable failures.What justification is someone at the BC NDP using to give these folks any position of relevance?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

How on earth does anyone from COPE get any traction at the BC NDP? Their policies were a garbage fire and they got completely and utterly smoked in the municipal election. They are huge, unredeemable failures.What justification is someone at the BC NDP using to give these folks any position of relevance?

-Garbage fire polices
-Unredeemable failures
-Smoked in elections

Sounds like perfect BCNDP material.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Everyone shut the gently caress up about your stupid Liberal bullshit that no one actually cares about.

The Honorable Michael Dennis Duffy totally knew James Bond, and it triggered a sobbing fit.

Is he seriously just loving with the courts at this point? We know he was a Tory stooge who marched in lockstep with Harper. It was the reason this stupid fat gently caress was even hired. He was likable and could shill votes like a pro. He's done and he knows it. Why isn't this giant stupid rear end in a top hat just not selling his Tory slavemasters down the river at a vague hope of freedom?

Here's some JJ for you guys to keep you idiots fighting:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I don't know, for once I kind of love this JJ :allears:

e: I told my dad about how cbc banned comments on Native issues today and it was kind of heartbreaking to tell a near-70 year old academic died-in-the-wool Liberal man just how appallingly racist news-site comments tended to be. He legitimately had no idea. :smith:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He's very good at cartoons, it's too bad he turned out to be such a right wing shithead. I think nearly everyone can appreciate that one though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ikantski posted:

So far Trudeau ... bizarrely asked a bunch of civil servants to voluntarily resign so he could appoint his own shills.

RBC posted:

Deepak can suck a dick. He was chosen to bust the union and get the postal service ready to be privatized. Anyone pretending otherwise is lying. He's always been Harper's puppet.

Did you guys see Albertans are calling for Notley to be murdered for passing some farm labor safety bill? loving lol. If Albertans aren't the worst loving scum on earth I don't know what is

I wonder how it feels to be the leader of a party where you have to publicly plead with your voting base to please stop threatening political assassinations over safety regulations.

Hal_2005 posted:

Nope. Kindly check the act dumbass. I had to read it more then twice with legal counsel verifying each statement so dig deeper then a NDP press release which is totally unbiased, amirte?

You are the only person irl, in the news, or on the internet that I've heard saying that Family Farms will be affected.

How does it feel to be the Canadian Reverse Cassandra?

I don't think you understand how awful vancouverites (and canadians in general) actually are.

For instance, today my partner witnessed a woman pushing a pram across a 4-way intersection where a woman driver kindly stopped (!) so she could cross. Car behind this stopped car leans on the horn. First driver gets out and starts screaming at the driver behind her. Second driver reciprocates. Just vancouverites being vancouverites i guess nbd right

Last year I was driving in Cape Breton and I stopped to let a teenager walk across a marked cross walk. The car behind me pulled around me without slowing and was literally inches from slamming into her and most likely killing her.

I'm sure other places are bad, but Cape Breton is the most dangerous place I've ever driven. They kill each other with their cars there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hal is busy waking up his aide de camp to find out who or what Cassandra is right now

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Last year I was driving in Cape Breton and I stopped to let a teenager walk across a marked cross walk. The car behind me pulled around me without slowing and was literally inches from slamming into her and most likely killing her.

I'm sure other places are bad, but Cape Breton is the most dangerous place I've ever driven. They kill each other with their cars there.

Maybe you've never driven in Quebec. In my time in Cape Breton, the biggest problem was people blocking the road because they were having a conversation with a car going the other way.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder how it feels to be the leader of a party where you have to publicly plead with your voting base to please stop threatening political assassinations over safety regulations.

I wondered this myself, when I saw his post yesterday. What a political climate to work in, where you actually have to make a statement like this. Brian Jean seems like a pretty genuine fella. I don't know him that well, though, so it may just be a political persona, but I do want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I'll admit I don't follow Alberta politics that closely.

Some of his Facebook followers went on to say Notley the NDP "deserve it" for putting the bill out there in the first place, and everyone's favourite blowhard... we'll call him Ezra L.? No, that's too obvious... E. Levant, is now accusing the NDP legislators who got death threats, of lying about it in the house.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i like to think of hal as the canadian equivalent of martin shkreli except without the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

brucio posted:

Maybe you've never driven in Quebec.

I have not had that pleasure

brucio posted:

In my time in Cape Breton, the biggest problem was people blocking the road because they were having a conversation with a car going the other way.

People do that where I live too- a few weeks ago I was driving down a road and two people were doing that and I got the most hateful stare down for not passing them on the right onto the shoulder of the road.

Rural people are strange and I'm still not fully accustomed to living here after growing up in the city