Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

It's the one like Diablo.

It's fun but unless you like collecting loot and customizing your guy there isn't that much to it. I kinda got bored of it after a week.

My main interest in it was that I heard it takes place after Episode VI and is considered to be canon. Trying to set my mindset in preparation for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Apogee15 posted:

My main interest in it was that I heard it takes place after Episode VI and is considered to be canon. Trying to set my mindset in preparation for the movie.

Obviously I didn't play it long enough to know where the story goes but it does start not long after the end of Return of the Jedi, close enough that Imperial propaganda is still maintaining that the Emperor is still alive.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It really doesn't go anywhere and you'd probably be better served reading a plot summary if you care that much because at some point progression is a slog and the gameplay isn't nearly engaging enough to make up for it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
At what point in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes are you supposed to be able to use those codes that everyone was posting? I'm up around level 25 but I haven't seen anything about codes and have no idea what they are for.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

At what point in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes are you supposed to be able to use those codes that everyone was posting? I'm up around level 25 but I haven't seen anything about codes and have no idea what they are for.

On the left side there is a button for allies. Click it, enter codes and get friends!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fiz is on sale for $0.99.

MRSMO
Apr 20, 2009
Are there any Civilization-like or 4X themed idle games for Android where I have the option of observing AI-only games?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MRSMO posted:

Are there any Civilization-like

hmm, try reading the OP maybe????

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hmm, try reading the OP maybe????

hmm, try reading the question maybe????

MRSMO posted:

...where I have the option of observing AI-only games?

I don't think there is anything like that on Android.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

hmm, try reading the question maybe????

I'm not sure why you would think that, if game genre X is not represented on Android, that some particular subset of that genre somehow would be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, Scotland Yard is on sale for $0.99 USD/$1.19 CDN, is it worth it? I've never played the actual physical game, how is that?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ravensburgerdigital.ScotlandYardHD

Any goon reviews on this? Aside from some AI issues, I haven't heard any negative things about it, but I usually first check with Goon Thoughts.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MRSMO posted:

Are there any Civilization-like or 4X themed idle games for Android where I have the option of observing AI-only games?

If it isn't already what you do, you'd probably be better off looking up AI deathmatches in [game of your choice] on YouTube.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is XCOM still a good play on Android, namely a Nexus 6? Got 10 google bux and I've had it wishlisted forever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is there a way to buy hotshots golf 2 and make it work on a Fire? I need golf badly

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any goon reviews on this? Aside from some AI issues, I haven't heard any negative things about it, but I usually first check with Goon Thoughts.

It was in my wishlist, so I bought it when you mentioned the sale.

I like it. It is true to the boardgame. It has a nice aesthetic (it would be nice if there was a daytime map, but it is far from a dealbreaker) and unobtrusive, yet fitting, background music (no sliders, but sound effects and background music can be toggled on/off independently).

The game comes with clear rules written for the app, and has an excellent tutorial for all aspects of the game.

You can play on-line, through Bluetooth, or pass-n-play. I have only tried to play against the AI, and I don't have any complaints about it. The AI comes in easy, medium and hard difficulties. For me they put up a good level of challenge, but I have not played the game in years, so it might just be me being rusty.

Due to the size of the board, the many stations, the lines between them and the fact that the investigators can be all over the board, it is far more enjoyable on a tablet than on a phone.

The game is what it is, a game of deduction and semi hidden information, with a resource management aspect (possibly co-op). It is a kid friendly game, so the choices for each action are few and simple, and there are no combos to master - so there is little in the way of analysis paralysis.

My biggest complaint is that you cannot review the path Mr. X took once the game is over.

It is an old game, but I found it enjoyable, and I think it is worth a buck.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2015

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Lifeline is on sale for $1 too. I remember mixed reactions in the thread, though. Worth grabbing over saving the dollar of Google bux for something better?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

FadedReality posted:

Lifeline is on sale for $1 too. I remember mixed reactions in the thread, though. Worth grabbing over saving the dollar of Google bux for something better?

I'd say it's worth it for $1. I note, though, that it's more of a story than a choose-your-own-adventure. There are only a few choices that actually matter, and most of them are right at the end.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is XCOM still a good play on Android, namely a Nexus 6? Got 10 google bux and I've had it wishlisted forever.

I have been playing thought it on a Droid Turbo, which has nearly identical specs. It runs great except that the render distance/fog of war kind of looks strange when you zoom out and the controls are a little weird when you are try to do something that requires going up or down a level.

It is the whole game from PC except it is missing the Sling Shot missions, and Operation Progeny. And when you unlock a new weapon or armor, it doesn't have the cut scene of them trying it out like the PC version does. I don't think it is missing anything else.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Xcom uses battery like mad and makes my phone fry eggs, but its a solid port.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I correct in assuming that in Soda Dungeons, unlocking a later unit obsoletes the earlier ones? Darkmages making Conjurers pointless, Knights undercut Fighters, etc? Outside of that L700 boss that I haven't even gotten close to, yet...

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
At least one Knight and one Thief are always useful, for trap avoidance, defense and loot collection. Thief is better if you're playing manually and using the steal skill, though eventually that is far outclassed by the gold boost equipment. Once you have Knight, Thief and Healer there's not much reason to use anyone else in the first 1000 floors, other than Level 700 (the Fighter boss).

Darkmages don't really come into their own until they get their relic. Having one your team prior to that isn't a horrible idea for the poison/confuse spell, but it is unreliable.

My main <L1000 strategy is simple; crank up crit % as high as I can (forks, assassin daggers) and have at least one Dhronen for status infliction.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MisterBibs posted:

Am I correct in assuming that in Soda Dungeons, unlocking a later unit obsoletes the earlier ones? Darkmages making Conjurers pointless, Knights undercut Fighters, etc? Outside of that L700 boss that I haven't even gotten close to, yet...

The very earliest classes are useless, but healers, thieves, knights, and darkmages all have their place. Merchant is pretty useful against the guy who scares away non-fighters since you can hopefully reduce the boss's hp by half.

edit: also, ragezerkers seem especially crappy to me, actually. They always waste their first turn buffing another party member's attack, and after that you can't pick their targets. That makes playing strategically basically impossible. They do get a buff based on #enemies killed, so maybe it'd be good to get 5, gear them out, and set them loose starting on floor 1 and just let them sweep through? I'm only in dimension 10, so maybe they have a use I haven't seen yet.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parenthesis posted:

It was in my wishlist, so I bought it when you mentioned the sale.

I like it. It is true to the boardgame. It has a nice aesthetic (it would be nice if there was a daytime map, but it is far from a dealbreaker) and unobtrusive, yet fitting, background music (no sliders, but sound effects and background music can be toggled on/off independently).

The game comes with clear rules written for the app, and has an excellent tutorial for all aspects of the game.

You can play on-line, through Bluetooth, or pass-n-play. I have only tried to play against the AI, and I don't have any complaints about it. The AI comes in easy, medium and hard difficulties. For me they put up a good level of challenge, but I have not played the game in years, so it might just be me being rusty.

Due to the size of the board, the many stations, the lines between them and the fact that the investigators can be all over the board, it is far more enjoyable on a tablet than on a phone.

The game is what it is, a game of deduction and semi hidden information, with a resource management aspect (possibly co-op). It is a kid friendly game, so the choices for each action are few and simple, and there are no combos to master - so there is little in the way of analysis paralysis.

My biggest complaint is that you cannot review the path Mr. X took once the game is over.

It is an old game, but I found it enjoyable, and I think it is worth a buck.

Thanks for the write-up, I just bought it. Also:

Parenthesis posted:

I really wish they'd patch this in.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Its the full Xcom. On a tablet/phone. But with no mods, because it's on a tablet/phone. So either you think "it's the full game, but portable, that's awesome!" or you think "Xcom with a touch interface and possibly uneven and battery killing performance, ugh." I'm more like the former, but YMMV.
Either way, $10 is a steal for that game, assuming you'll actually play it. Xcom is awesome.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

edit: also, ragezerkers seem especially crappy to me, actually. They always waste their first turn buffing another party member's attack, and after that you can't pick their targets.

What you may be missing is that the buff is permanent, at least for that run. If you're starting from level 1, a ragezerker will let your party kick rear end significantly longer. That said, yeah, there's only really a part of the game in which they're good (the part where you're starting from level one, autobattling, and haven't beefed your other classes up much).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If Ragezerkers protected from traps/ambushes, then they'd easily be worth it over knights. As it stands though, one knight is absolutely mandatory as soon as they are unlocked. It's really the worst part of the game, in my opinion.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Knight can protect party member for half damage. They are good to have at very high level.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im looking for a multiplayer gin rummy game. Any card game suites that can do that?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nyaa posted:

Knight can protect party member for half damage. They are good to have at very high level.

Yes, but they're mandatory because ambushes exist. Without ambushes being a thing, it would be trivial to have a team without them.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dirk the Average posted:

Yes, but they're mandatory because ambushes exist. Without ambushes being a thing, it would be trivial to have a team without them.
My argument is probably pointless since not many people would play up to 2000 level where the equipment long hit their level cap and enemy can one hit kill you. I haven't play the game long before they raised the equipment level cap, so that might have changed it. :eng99:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

What you may be missing is that the buff is permanent, at least for that run. If you're starting from level 1, a ragezerker will let your party kick rear end significantly longer. That said, yeah, there's only really a part of the game in which they're good (the part where you're starting from level one, autobattling, and haven't beefed your other classes up much).

Also they go away, like all non-fighters do, when you hit the level 700 boss. Even in the Warrior's Dimension.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A bunch of gamebooks by Tin Man Games are on sale, most around the $2 mark.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

El Disco posted:

Also they go away, like all non-fighters do, when you hit the level 700 boss. Even in the Warrior's Dimension.

Past a certain point, it becomes possible to one-round the 700 boss before he can cast his kill-all-non-fighters spell. But this will be a moot point soon, since apparently the next update is going to take that ability away from him once you reach the warrior dimension end game endless dungeon. Which is good, because I'm tired of having to babysit a team of fighters through every new X691-X700 level range when otherwise my four dark mages and a knight can basically fight endlessly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm in Dimension 6 (or maybe 5, whichever one's boss is on 600), and this is the first dimension I haven't gotten at least one Dhronen, even with three Start-From-1-And-Farm runs. And I kinda need/want one to defeat the needs-heals-to-beat boss.

:suicide:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I'm in Dimension 6 (or maybe 5, whichever one's boss is on 600), and this is the first dimension I haven't gotten at least one Dhronen, even with three Start-From-1-And-Farm runs. And I kinda need/want one to defeat the needs-heals-to-beat boss.

:suicide:

Just use forks. You will out damage his healing and he will every turn healing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shwqa posted:

Just use forks. You will out damage his healing and he will every turn healing.

I'm not talking about the guy who heals himself, I'm talking about the boss that is only damaged by being healed. Sleeping one of the skeletons she spawns each round was really effective.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not talking about the guy who heals himself, I'm talking about the boss that is only damaged by being healed. Sleeping one of the skeletons she spawns each round was really effective.

The only way I managed that was 5 healers all with Dhronen swords and equipped for max health.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I beat that boss with just two Healers, with the other characters focused on clearing away adds (so the boss spends every turn summoning more); I tried leaving one alive, but the boss hits harder than the skeletons. It was slow, but it worked.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

The only way I managed that was 5 healers all with Dhronen swords and equipped for max health.

I had two knights (one with a Dhronen) and the rest healers. The Dhronen one would attack one of the skeleton, the other one would defend, and the Healers would heal the boss. It worked well for its first instance, but I wouldn't be susprised if this failed on higher levels.

edit: gently caress me, this is the third time I've done a run where the game crashes after the 600 boss gives his "Come back at 600!" warning. Given how long farming runs take, this is annoying. Granted, I didn't lose my gold, but still.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Google surveys has been asking some really weird questions lately. I got:

Have you ever owned any exotic birds like egrets, pelicans or flamingos?

Have you hiked or camped in the Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument in the past 18 months?

I thought that was a fake question but it turns out the Alibates Flint Quarries is in Texas, which I've never been.